Ch.12 – A Long Night
681 5 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"You've been by the fountain all day?! I would think that maid of yours would notice!" he exclaimed, holding back his feelings of laughter.

"Ahahaha…"

It was quite funny, I suppose.

"And judging from how you couldn't even find your way back, you must be terrible at mazes! Hahaha! Hilarious!"

But it still hurt to have him laughing at me.

"Don't worry, I'll take you back. Just trust in your classmate, yeah? Follow me, I know a shortcut!" He claimed as he began to walk further into the back alleys. 

Following him, I dash into the darkness.

***

"......So…… what were you doing out so late?" I ask, trying to fill the silence.

The mood was filled with mystique and awkwardness, a pair of feelings I never thought I’d feel together.

Yet even on this quiet night, not even the full moon’s glow could put down these feelings of mine swirling through the alleyway.

Ahead of me, Herem’s bronze hair reflected moonlight onto the pathway of dirt and stone.

Wait, why does it reflect light…? Is it actually metallic?

No, that can’t be it. 

He hurriedly moved through the sharp corners and tight spaces with little care for my speed. He walked with such confidence even when it was around the dark corners moonlight didn’t shine on. 

"...I'm working on something big for the class. It's a surprise though, so don't you tell the others," he said, not slowing his pace.

"W-what is it, is it some kind of party, and when? Can I help?" I prattle, nervousness throttling my mouth into overdrive.

"No, I couldn't bother you… I want to organize this myself, so all you can do to help is to not tell, okay?" he said, stopping and turning towards me.

His eyes shone in the moonlight, but the lighting of his face made his grin somewhat sinister.

"…Okay."

"Well, since you seem excited, I'll tell you this. It's in two days if… things go well," he explained before continuing our journey.

***

"...And here we are. Crawl through this hole and you'll… reach the entrance of the school. See ya tomorrow." he said, pointing at a dark hole on a dimly lit will wall.

Peering through I saw not the gate to the school grounds, but the paleness of another wall.

"Are you sure? I don't really see how this leads to the dorm," I tell him, seeing as there weren't any walls like this near the gate. 

Staring at me for a moment he begins to explain.

"...Well, it doesn't take you straight there. But if you keep on walking you'll arrive at the entrance to the school, and I assumed you could find your way back from there," he said, scratching his head. 

"Oh, and if you're worried about monsters hiding inside, don't be. I take this path all the time during the day and it's just… filled with boxes," he assured, giving me what looked like a slim smile.

 "Now then, it's time I… get going," he said, waving and walking down another backalley.

Before turning a corner and out of view, he glanced around and held a finger to his lips.

"Remember to keep it a secret," he seemed to say.

The very next moment, he disappeared.

“...”

Now then.

Personally, as much as I wanted to crawl through a dirty abandoned building, I also don't want to try my luck and go above. 

What if I step in something gross…?

If only there was a way to see in the dark…

“...”

“Ah!”

Night vision!

…How does that work again?

Let’s see, I think it’s… 

It’s just making my eyes take in more light, right? 

Isn’t that the basic principle of eyesight? 

I'm unsure if I’ll do it right seeing as all my knowledge comes from random books I read as a child, but I think it should be fine.

I shouldn’t die unless I overload my brain with loads of information… probably.

Ok.

3, 2… 1.

"…"

So everything looks brighter. But everything also looks… strange. I can't really explain it. It's like the shading and colour of everything is wrong, like some heavy filter.

Oh well. 

I can see clearly, and that’s what matters.

The hole was large, enough so where I could just crouch and waltz in.

And looking around it was exactly like Haram said: an empty building filled with nothing but crates and criminals.

Wait. That's not right.

Instead of the empty building lined with boxes the large room was filled with over twenty occupied sleeping bags. Behind the beds, against the wall, were grey backpacks filled to the brim. Littering the floor was food scraps and miscellaneous trashes.

Did Herem not know? Or was he aware of what this building held?

As I ruminate in my mind I slowly reach the other side. Then, quietly, I crawl out of the danger zone. Taking a deep breath of the outside air I sigh in relief.

What was that about…? It doesn't take a genius to understand that criminal groups usually don't just sleep in random buildings. I'm lucky to have gone through unnoticed but something has to be up.

Though I didn’t want to acknowledge it, in the far back of the room, behind some boxes, was what looked to be a person sitting in a pool of liquid. A dark liquid.

...Let’s leave it for tomorrow. For now I need to hurry back.

***

After a mostly straightforward trek down a branchless path, I begin to recognize the stone walls that made up the wall near the entrance.

Ah. Another hole.

Unluckily, this hole was only usable if I crawled through it on the ground. But since I wanted to hurry back as quickly as possible, I put aside the possibility of rips and scratches and crawl through the hole where it transitions from gravel and stone to cold dirt and cool grass.

Coming out on the other side with green stains and a couple of tears, I walk forward onto the path just in after the academy's main entrance.

From the road the hole is covered by shadows rendering it difficult to notice, so I understand why it hasn't been patched up.

Now knowing my location, I walk to the dormitory.

***

Arriving at the beautifully carved wooden entrance to the dorm, I quietly and slowly pull on the golden handles and silently open the door.

Then, while making my way to the stairs, I tip toe across the wood board floor hoping I would miss any creaks.

Now at the stairs, I carefully climb them with the same worries in my head as I walked across the floor.

Is Salia here? Or is she out looking for me? When we meet up next will I be in trouble? Or will she let me off?

Should I have grabbed a snack?

*Creeaaak…*

At the top of the stairs I walk across to Salia's door and quietly knock.

*Tap tap.*

Putting my ear to the door, I listen for sounds.

Nothing.

I need to at least make sure she knows I'm here before waltzing to bed, but how?

Her door is locked and the keyhole is too small to peek into.

If only I had–

A special ability.

Putting my hand near the lock, I try to lengthen my right pointer finger. I grow it towards and through the lock until it reaches the other side. 

Then, I try putting an eye on it, like an eye-stalk. 

*Pop!*

It worked, somehow. Connect the nerves and… done!

Now being able to see inside, I look around the room. I didn't even need any night vision since the moon was shining light through the window.

Anyways, looking at the bed I see Salia, fast asleep.

She was drooling a bit. 

It was a bit annoying, seeing her fast asleep after forgetting me.

I guess she wasn't that worried, after all.

Losing all my worries, I retract the stalk and head inside my room to sleep.

***

34