Ch.16 – A Night of Searching
360 2 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

***

Salia’s POV, Days Before.

Giving the man the money, I take two servings of Aulk Soup and hand a bowl to Aza.

"Here, Aza. Be careful since it's hot," I warn.

Hopefully this will take her mind off whatever she dreamed about.

"…Oh yeah. Make sure not to lose the bowl, as we'll need to return it," I explain as we continue our walk.

It wouldn’t cost too much for a noble, but it isn’t good to waste money.

"There's a special way to eat this, which I'll tell you when we find a place to sit. Before then, don't drink it."

I bought it because I loved it as a child, but maybe I should have gotten something simpler?

No, wait. She's older than she looks. And she hasn't been picky yet.

"It's really busy right now, so focus on following me. I don't want you getting lost."

…Hmmm.

Should we try a cafe? Or should we just settle with a table in the eating area?

Glancing around, I contemplate our options. 

"What do you think, Aza, should we get some more snacks or should we…" I ask, turning towards her.

But, when I looked over she wasn't walking with me. Nor could I see her anywhere else.

"Azalia…!?"

Turning around I still can't see her among the crowd. Where could she have gone!

Did she wander off…? I can't believe I let this happen! What if she hurts someone!

"Oi! Move it lady!" Yelled a brat, standing in front of me.

"Woah there, we can just go around. Stop bugging the lady, friend." Suggested an older child, who seemed to be a chaperone.

"Don't you tell me what to do in front of my woman! I won't let anyone embarrass me! Especially some commoner woman!"

"…I see."

"I'm in a bit of a hurry right now. Sorry for getting in your way."

I  try to walk away from the group when the best pulls on my arm.

"Hold it! Who said you could go anywhere, commoner?! I'm going to have you publicly apologize to me in front of everyone here! Don't you know who I am?!" Yelled the bratty pig.

"…Let go of me."

5…

"I'm the heir to the Grauntweist Trading Company! I'll make more money than you'll see in your life!"

3…

"…"

It should be fine, right? I’m sure the masters would understand.

"So start to bow and cry, you common w—agh!?"

0…

Grabbing his arm as well, I pull him towards me and elbow him in the face with my free arm.

It connects perfectly and he falls to his back.

"Whuh…? Whi'll make yoo pay! Yoo quan't dho this to mhe!"

This guy is such an eyesore.

"You challenged me. I told you to let go," I say as I dash away.

Now then, where could Azalia have gone…?

***

"Hello, miss? There's something we want to tell you, so can you please listen?"

"I'm busy right now, so I can't, sorry."

I don’t know why this pair of girls approached me, but they obviously aren’t worth my time.

"Y–You're looking for someone, right?" Asked the other girl.

Or maybe not…

"What do you know?" I ask, hungry for information of her location.

"We noticed you here looking a few hours ago, but we thought nothing of it. But then my sister here remembered that we passed a little girl who looked like she was waiting for someone as well, near the fountain," the girl explained.

The fountain?! Why would she be there!? Moreover, why didn't I think of asking people!?

"Thank you!" I yell as I dash towards the fountain.

""No problem.""

***

...She’s not here.

Why?!

Did those girls lie? Or did Salia leave…?

“...Yeah, that’s her.”

Who…?

Turning towards the voice, I see a young man. A familiar man. 

But from where have I seen him before…?

“Come over here. I'll reunite you with Azalia, so hurry over,” he pleaded, motioning me over.

His face, contrary to his words, was disformed to a toothy grin. An evil grin.

And on both his sides were shabbily clothed women brandishing knives.

Thieves, by the look of it.

Nobody good would have people like that near them.

I need to leave now.

Dashing away, I run past a stall and into an alleyway.

They haven’t began to follow, so I should be sa—

*Thc!*

Glancing to the right, a knife is embedded in the wooden wall.

Not bothering to check behind I begin running faster,

Making tighter and more frequent turns, I throw away the idea of reaching the academy. Before I can do that I need to throw these guys off my trail.

***

*wham!*

“Gah!”

Coming out from around the corner was one of the thieves, holding a club.

H-How do they—!? It’s like they can predict where I’m going!

Laying against a wall, I wait for the leader to come close.

And blocking my escape routes were the two women, one holding a knife and another a club.

“...You’re much faster than I anticipated. Enough to warrant me to incorporate you into my impeccable plan,” praised the man as he appeared from the shadows.

“I’d never be a part of your plan,” I splutter.

It doesn’t seem like he wants me dead, so the best thing to do is keep my mental fortitude.

No, it’s the only thing I can do.

“Though, I may need to hit you a few times. Thanks to you, I’m going to have to be late to class tomorrow.”

...Class?

Ah.

“You’re one of them! The reincarnators.”

“Yep~! So you should understand that you have no way to win, correct? I’m not bound by your people’s logic. I am a divine being.”

“Fu—”

“Let’s get this over with. Hey, you. Look at me. Look me in the eye.”

Glaring up at his face, his left eye begins to swirl.

No, spiral.

What does it do…?

I need to watch it closely for any hints.

Anything… at… all…

“Yes, that’s it. Keep looking. Take a rest, while you’re at it. Aren’t you tired from all this running Miss Maid?”

“...”

“After this, go home and rest. When the signal is given, come to the school. You’ll know it when you hear it.”

“...”

“Good girl. Keep your eye on mine, it might be the key to your victory.”

22