Ch.3 – A Surprising Day
1.8k 6 57
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*Ya~wn*

After I wake up, my maid gets me dressed and takes me to breakfast.

When I finish, she dresses me in warm clothes and takes me outside to play.

"May I speak something, my lady?" She suddenly asks.

"Sure," I say, still playing in the snow.

"Then, if I may. You are quite strange, my lady. Most girls your age would want to play inside, and don't like doing such activities outside. I mean, would you like to come inside and have me read to you?"

"I don't really care, since I'm having fun."

Oh yeah. I'm not sure if I said anything about it, but I'm a girl in this life. 

I'm pretty sure it's one of the things he meant by 'changing everything'.

I haven't noticed anything else he changed, though? 

Anyways, while I was playing in the snow, I was trying to use my skill.

After thinking about it, I believe that the ‹World's Eye› is what allows me to see the slates.

That left the strange one, ‹Self Hatred›. I think it's my ability from that god, since I doubt that buggy mess would be it.

But why would it be something like that? Is he trying to say that the biggest part of me is how I don't like myself?

Is he trying to say 'If you don't like something about yourself, change it!'?

Putting aside the reason I have this ability, I need to understand how to use so I don't accidentally do something strange.

The description says 'The ability to change yourself as you see fit'.

But it doesn't actually say how. Do I just think it? Are there any limitations or anything.

Well, let's just do something simple, like having more fingers.

*Thinking*

*Smunch*

Looking at my hands, another pair of fingers come out from between two others. 

Ew.

That felt super gross. And what was that sound?

This ability is super disgusting!

And after thinking it, the fingers move back into my body, making a *Shrik*.

It doesn't feel bad, per se, but I still don't like it.

"My lady, what are you doing? Are you cold? Do you wish to come inside?"

"Yeah! Take me back in!"

That's enough experimenting for now. Let's go in and drink some hot chocolate.

Over the course of the following week, I experimented on the limits of my ability.

And let me say, my ability is quite something.

Not only could I do things like give myself more body parts including entire arms and eyes, I could give myself non-human parts like wings, tails, and claws.

I could also change the color of my hair and eyes, as well as change the shape of my face.

After the week finished, I decided I had fully seen the extent of my ability.

Flash forward to now.

I'm 11 years old, and have become a fine lady.

Right now I'm heading to my father's office for some matter.

The past years had been fun and easy. I went to some tea parties, learned some arts, and met a few acquaintances. Though I haven't met anyone I could call a friend.

*Knock knock*

"Father, may I come in?"

"Come in, my daughter."

Coming in, I sit down on one of the chairs opposite of his desk. Opposite of me is my father, who not only is a knight of this country, but also helps my mother with her work.

Speaking of mother, she is standing next to father. What is the matter they want to talk about?

"Do you know why I called you here?" Asks my father.

"No? Did I do something?"

*Sigh*

"No, you haven't done anything wrong. I'm the wrong one. Do you know what happens when a noble becomes 11?"

Was there something that happens?

"Was there something that I'm supposed to do?"

"Yes. Once a child becomes 11, they are supposed to be sent to a school. The reason you haven't is because I've been stubborn and wanted to spend more time with you. You know, when you were a child, you were so close to me. You even called me papa. I just wanted to spend time with you."

Was he the clingy type? Or was my acting that good?

"So what you're saying is…"

"Yes. You are going to be sent to one of the schools. In fact, we've already picked one. It's not only the most prestigious one, but also the one with the greatest opportunities afterward. Since you are a woman, it is hard to become head of a house. This was the best I could do."

"W-when am going I to leave? Can I bring Salia with me?"

"You're leaving right now. I've already had your things packed, and a carridge arranged. Please write us letters."

Eh. Right now? Isn't that too sudden?

"Don't worry. I've taught you enough self defense that you'll be fine. We also hired a guard to protect you. Although it'll be hard, I know you'll be fine."

What?

Huh?

All of a sudden, I'm on a carridge to the capital, so that I can study at some school.

Couldn't they had told me beforehand or something?

"Don't worry, Aza! I will be with you, so everything will be fine," Says Salia, my maid, who over the years has grown close to me.

When I had first told her that she could call me by my name, she was surprised, saying things like 'I can't do something like that!'. But now she's fine with it.

If she wasn't here with me, I wouldn't be sure if I'd be fine, but she makes me feel safe.

So while the carridge went down the road, I soundlessly slept leaning against her.

Suddenly, while I was sleeping, I'm jolted awake by Salia, who is shaking me hard.

"Wha- what's wrong? Does it need me to be awake?" I ask, half asleep.

"We need to run! Now! Grab the letter and get ready!"

"What?! W-why? Are there monsters?" I ask, feeling fully awake by her yelling.

"Worse. We've been betrayed! The gaurd was a bandit, and is currently killing the driver!"

What? Why is this happening? Is this the curse of that god?

Is this my end? How could that be? 

Even if I run, I don't think I could outrun these guys. I mean, I'm just a young girl! 

I'm not some kind of monster that can outrun an adult ma-.

Actually, aren't I a monster? I can become one with this ability of mine, can't I?

If I hate how weak I am, I'll just become strong.

If I dont like myself, I'll just change myself.

If I don't like being powerless, then just change myself so I'm not.

If I'm the prey, then I'll just become the hunter.

 

57