Book 2 – Chapter 29b
371 7 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"MUST you embellish these reports?"

 

 

 

Ichiro shifted his gaze from the iPad to his manservant, Sebas, while seated on the enclosed balcony atop his family-owned high-rise. Despite the picturesque view, he remained engrossed in the breakfast before him. He pointed accusingly at the report prepared by Sebas, giving him a stern look, "Is there a reason for these liberties? Shouldn't you strictly adhere to the facts?"

 

Sebas remained motionless, clad in his impeccable uniform with a lone monocle. He expressed a mild sense of frustration, "I'd like to highlight, master, that you've been overlooking the materials I've prepared for you lately. I'm merely attempting to infuse them with more intrigue to grasp your attention." He broke his stance, removing the monocle while producing a handkerchief, "I must emphasize that I've been employing such tactics for over a week, and you've only just taken notice."

 

The iPad clattered as it was dropped on the table, "Sebas, Why do I put up with you?"

 

Cleaning his monocle with precision, Sebas retorted, "Probably because I was trained at the same facility as Naora is currently attending, rendering me an irreplaceable asset." Replacing the monocle, he added, "Additionally, every other person you've hired as your personal servant in the past quit due to their inability to endure your insufferable behavior."

 

"You love me and you know it." Ichiro said with a smirk, "If you're the only one who would put up with me, I'm the only one who could claim to be your friend."

 

Sebas, with an intuitive sense, realized Ichiro had concluded his breakfast and efficiently began tidying up. "'Claim' being the keyword here, of course," he remarked, turning to ferry the dishes to a dumbwaiter. "Recently, I'm more your nursemaid than a manservant. You aren't consuming enough calories these days. If your weight keeps declining, I will lock you out of your studio."

 

Ichiro frowned, "I haven't been that-"

 

Sebas cut him off as he sent the dumbwaiter down to the servent's floor, "You have been far too obsessed with those songs I recovered. I cannot believe you are putting so much time into remastering them." He turned to face his master, "You are neglecting your other commitments."

 

There was a long period of silence before Ichiro spoke, "How bad have I gotten?"

 

Sebas was silent as he slowly walked back and came to attention by his friend's side, "Bad."

 

Ichiro closed his eyes, "Damnit." He wiped his mouth then tossed his napkin on the table, "I suppose that's why things are getting out of control." He shook his head, "I thought I had handled the Naora problem when I arranged for her to marry that Kodo brat."

 

Sebas frowned slightly, "Master, I might be able to explain how it went wrong if you tell me your reason for making that come to pass."

 

"How's mother doing?"

 

Sebas took the non-sequitur in stride, "She has been acting as she usually has, as of late."

 

"Mother is continuing her spiral downward to self-destruction and taking the family's control of society with her. As much as I have tried to talk with my sisters to convince them of the proper course of action, they ignore me. They would drive me away just like my brother." Ichiro looked up at Sebas, "So I must do what I can to retain control without appearing to be in control."

 

Sebas squinted slightly, then relaxed his eyes, "Ah. If your sisters have pushed you out of high society..."

 

"I will have to increase our control of LOW society." Ichiro picked up the iPad and resumed reading, "At least enough to keep the country from spiraling out of control. A stable and peaceful underworld benefits everyone, especially Mother, given her descent into debauchery." He rubbed his eyes, "If I had been listened to... sigh. Never mind." He looked up, "My point is that marriage would have solidified things. I would have assumed given that boy's pedigree, beauty, and pleasing personality, he would have no problem luring her away from my nephew."

 

Sebad raised the eyebrow over his monocle, "Well, it appears that the Kodo boy went and hitched his wagon to Gen and ignored Naora."

 

Ichiro snapped his head to glare at Sebas, "WHEN DID-" He stopped and closed his eyes, "It was something I ignored, wasn't it?" Sebas nodded once. Ichiro let out a long sigh, "I have been very lax as of late." He tapped the iPad a few times to bring up a playlist of music, "But how could one blame me? There has been so much material to work with. How did he come up with so many songs with such radically different play styles? If he stole it from someone, which is the most likely answer, how is it I cannot find the creators anywhere on this planet?" He started to get up.

 

Sebas stepped closer to block his master and cleared his throat.

 

There was a long pause, then Ichiro sat back down, "Yes. Of course. I am getting distracted again."

 

"Master, I checked with my old teachers back at the school. Naora is an exceptional student beyond all expectations. I know my initial report on her indicated that she'd be dead by now, but somehow... the desire to have Toshi in her life has given her motivation to overcome all obstacles by sheer force of will. I cannot explain her sudden improvement other than... love... as insane as that sounds.

 

"Not insane at all." Ichiro leaned back as he switched back to the report, "I regret dismissing my nephew, but on the other hand, if he had not endured, then he would not have changed. Apparently, brain damage has been a great boon for him." He narrowed his eyes in concentration, "But if that girl gets her hooks into him, she will drag him down and make him nothing more than a meek househusband like my foolish brother."

 

"I think the hooks have already happened." Sebas shook his head slightly, "It is quite baffling. I understand he's somewhat attractive, but for some reason that befuddled child keeps attracting more and more girls who chase after him. Although things may be concluding soon."

 

Ichiro looked up, "Oh?"

 

Sebas took the iPad out of his master's hands and tapped the screen a few times. He returned it as a video started playing. The video was a bit grainy. It was clear from the shaky nature of the picture that it was taken with a handheld video camera. The video showed three female students discussing something while sitting in a booth at a restaurant. The cameraman must have had a laser microphone or something because you could hear the discussion between the three quite well.

 


 

"I love him."

 

 

 

Seated in a window booth at their favorite cafe near school, Mieko faced Madoka and Abi. Choosing the spot for its proximity and affordability, Mieko had invited her friends to join her there. After settling in and placing their orders, Mieko dropped this bombshell on her friends.

 

Abi was rather shocked, "Toshi? You go on one date and suddenly you love the guy?" She was a combination of annoyed and stunned.

 

Madoka let her head fall forward slightly and stared at the placemat in front of her, "You too, huh?" She let out a soft sigh as if Mieko's declaration was expected, yet unwanted.

 

Abi snapped her head around to look at Madoka, "WHAT?" She blinked furiously, "What's up with you two?" She pointed from one to the other, "Hinako is a great friend, but this bullshit with her brother is getting out of hand. He's just a GUY."

 

Madoka disagreed, shaking her head as she looked at Abi. "No, you've got it wrong. He's... incredible. The perfect blend of talented, vulnerable, genuine, innocent, and... HOT." She tightened her fist. "Damn, he has sexy arms. I mean... if Hinako weren't my friend, I'd have jumped him in the car." Madoka paused, adding, "Then regretted it because he deserves respect."

 

Abi's jaw dropped open.

 

Mieko nodded, "Exactly, I want to keep him safe, while also giving him the room to be himself. Everything about him is... magical." She bit her lower lip and looked at the center of the table between her and Madoka, "Are we going to have a problem?"

 

Madoka shook her head, "As much as I want him, I realize it would never work out. I'd be asking him to give up way too much to follow my dream. I would love to have him come with me to America-"

 

Abi squinted, "Wait. I thought that fell through."

 

Madoka shook her head, "Oh, did I forget to tell you?" She glanced between her friends. "I received a full scholarship to the veterinary college at Cornell. I don't even remember applying, but somehow my application got accepted, and the Acme Scholastic program is covering all the expenses." She smiled but with a hint of sadness. "I'll be heading to America after graduation, assuming I can maintain at least a B average."

 

Abi Punched Madoka lightly in the shoulder, "HELL! That's GREAT! I told you! Didn't I? I said you need to just keep at it and eventually you'll..." Her voice softened, "Leave and we won't see you for years. Damn."

 

Madoka nodded, "Yeah. Happy and sad at the same time." She turned to Mieko, "At best I'll only see him three months of the year. There's no way I could ask him to come with me or make him wait six years until I graduate. So... I'll bow out."

 

Abi pursed her lips, "Damn... Well, I haven't even had a date with him yet, but..." She grinned, "Mieko, we're friends. If you want dibs, he's all yours. I still have to take him on a date, though. A promise is a promise." She looked up at the ceiling lights and tapped her chin in thought, "Buuuuuuuut... why don't we rig it?"

 

Mieko squinted, "Explain?"

 

Abi shrugged, "I was going to take him out for karaoke. Why don't we make it a group thing? You two can come. We'll invite a few of his friends as well. I'll tell him that this is about socializing, so he needs to learn how to go out in a group setting." She pointed at Mieko, "Getting him alone and making a move is on you, however."

 

"My next move was to approach his sister and make it clear my intent to court him." Mieko's apprehension left her face, "But a chance to see him again is most welcome." She smiled softly, "Thanks, Abi. You're a good friend."

 

Abi snorted, "Bah. You're the top girl in school now. Next year is your year and who would I be to stand in your way." She rolled her eyes, "I'd pick a different boy who wasn't so high maintenance, but hey." She looked back to Meiko, "If he's the reason you've stopped letting your sisters walk all over you, whatever works, ya know?"

 

Madoka turned to Abi, "So when is your date planned for?"

 

Abi hooked a thumb over her shoulder, "We had to reschedule because some things came up so the date is on-."

 


 

Ichiro paused the video.

 

Sebas took a deep breath as he waited for his master's reaction.

 

"She's taking him to Karaoke."

 

Sebas nodded.

 

"Locate the venue and ascertain the place this date is taking place. If possible, persuade the owner to grant us exclusive access. If determining the location proves challenging, organize the closure of all student-friendly karaoke places within a fifty-mile radius, leaving only the one with optimal acoustics. Distribute flyers around the school, perhaps advertising a men's night. Costs are inconsequential. Ensure everything is in place, and clear my schedule for the entire day to avoid any interference." Ichiro sipped his orange juice as he spoke.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"I wouldn't miss this for the world."

11