Rat in the Stand
166 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yo,

I'm absolutely thrilled to announce that we're kicking off Year 4 in our incredible journey through Broken Shackles! Can you believe it? Our little tale has grown up, and I couldn't be happier to share this next thrilling chapter with you all. We've seen Harry navigate trials and tribulations, but Year 4 is going to ramp up the stakes even higher—new friendships, fiercer enemies, and challenges that will truly test our favourite wizard's mettle.

Buckle up, dear readers. Year 4 of Broken Shackles is about to start, and you won't want to miss a moment of it. Let's keep those shackles breaking!

Next 4 chapters of Broken Shackles are available you-know where. Without furtherado, let's get started!

Enjoy.

Broken Shackles

Year 4

Chapter 35

Rat in the Stand

25th June 1994

Tonks Estate

As the family settled around the lunch table, plates of delicious food before them, Andromeda seemed to hesitate. The chatter paused momentarily as she glanced at Harry as if contemplating how best to broach a sensitive topic.

"Harry, may I have a word with you?" she asked softly. The atmosphere in the room subtly shifted, Ted, Sirius, and Dora exchanged quick glances before discretely engaging in their own quiet conversation, allowing Andromeda and Harry some privacy despite sitting together at the table.

"Of course," Harry replied, curious but attentive, laying down his fork.

Andromeda sighed, her eyes showing a blend of vulnerability and regret. "I owe you an apology, Harry. I should've been upfront with you about my relationship with Sirius. He's my first cousin, and due to some rather severe family disagreements, we were estranged for many years. I let that past interfere with being honest with you."

Harry looked at her thoughtfully for a moment before speaking. "Thank you for telling me, and for the apology, Andy." He met her gaze, his own eyes warm and unjudging. "I sort of figured it out a little while ago."

Andromeda looked surprised. "You did?"

He nodded with a smile. "Yeah. Given the family names and the way you act at the mention of his name and his nostalgic look wherever you are mentioned, it wasn't a massive leap. Family is complicated; I understand that."

A look of relief washed over Andromeda's face. "Thank you, Harry. Your understanding means the world to me."

Harry shrugged, his smile unwavering. "We're family too, Andy. I'm Sirius's blood-adopted son. Family should stick together, no matter how complex it gets." Harry revealed and Andromeda turned to Sirius in surprise and he nodded with a warm smile of his own.

Andromeda nodded, her eyes misting over a little. "Yes, we absolutely should."

The mood at the table lightened palpably, and others resumed their general conversation, a sense of unity subtly strengthened by the exchange.

The table was laden with a variety of dishes, from a hearty Shepherd's Pie to a fresh garden salad, all prepared by Andromeda with a little magical assistance. Even Sirius, who had been uncharacteristically silent, seemed to brighten at the sight of the feast.

"Help yourselves," Andromeda encouraged.

Everyone started serving, and the room was filled with the pleasant clinks of silverware and the murmur of appreciation for the food. After a few moments, Ted cleared his throat, capturing everyone's attention.

"So Harry, I understand you've had quite an adventurous year at Hogwarts," Ted began, passing the gravy boat to Dora.

Harry chuckled. "You could say that, yes."

Ted nodded and then glanced at Sirius with a smirk. "And speaking of adventures, we've had some of our own here after you left Sirius two weeks ago."

Sirius sighed but wore a small grin. "Ah, yes, my glorious time in hiding. Thank you again for that, Ted, Andy."

"Anything for family," Andromeda replied, squeezing Sirius's hand.

"So what happened in those two weeks?" Harry asked, intrigued.

"Well, the Ministry has been buzzing like a beehive, for one," Ted began. "Hotly searching for Sirius. They've been conducting raids, questioning known associates, you name it."

"Typical Ministry, always a step behind," Sirius mumbled remembering his war experience. Harry raised an eyebrow but didn't comment.

"As for that evidence you left with me," Ted began, pausing to take a sip of his water, "It was enough to convince Amelia to support us."

The room went quiet, everyone's eyes turning toward Ted. He leaned back in his chair, recalling the crucial meeting that had taken place only days earlier.

Flashback Begin

2 weeks Ago

Ted had arranged for a discreet meeting with Amelia Bones, the Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement and a woman known for her commitment to justice. The venue was an inconspicuous café in muggle London, warded against eavesdropping. Amelia is familiar with the Muggle side of the city to some extent as she kept a close eye on the Muggle police activity.

"Madam Bones," Ted greeted, rising from his seat as she entered the café.

"Ted," Amelia nodded, sitting down across from him. "What's so important that it couldn't wait and we had to meet here?" She asked in a stern tone, looking around them with a neutral face.

Ted reached into his pocket and produced a carefully sealed envelope. "This," he said, sliding it across the table, "is evidence that could exonerate Sirius Black."

Amelia's eyes narrowed sceptically, but she opened the envelope. What she saw made her pause—a photograph of Peter Pettigrew, very much alive and in human form, dated and certified by a reputable muggle forensic organisation.

"I assure you, the photograph is genuine. Pettigrew is alive, which means he could very well be the actual perpetrator," Ted said, his voice low but intense.

Amelia studied the photograph and then looked up at Ted. "If this is legitimate, it changes everything. But making this public—Sirius will have to stand trial, and that could mean airing out a lot of dirty laundry, for him and the Ministry."

Ted nodded. "I understand the ramifications, but isn't the pursuit of justice worth the risks? Sirius has lost years of his life for a crime he didn't commit. This is a chance to make it right."

Amelia looked at Ted, her gaze penetrating. After a moment that felt like an eternity, she spoke. "Alright, Ted. I'll do it. I'll push for a public trial. But let me be clear: the evidence better be as rock-solid as you claim, or we could all be in hot water."

Ted breathed a sigh of relief. "You won't regret this, Amelia. Thank you."

Flashback End

"Amelia has been working behind the scenes ever since. First, she spoke with Fudge. Maybe he assumed he could turn this in his favour, but he surprisingly approved of reopening the case, albeit reluctantly. I suspect he thought it could be an opportunity to boost his public image—catching a murderer in broad daylight and punishing him to his whims."

"And Dumbledore?" Sirius interjected, visibly interested.

"Ah, yes," Ted replied. "Amelia did consult with Dumbledore, who expressed full support for a trial. His influence was probably why Fudge agreed so readily in the first place. Dumbledore was adamant though, he wanted the trial to be conducted discreetly to prevent unnecessary chaos."

Sirius and Harry exchanged a glance. "Well, that clearly didn't happen," Harry said, thinking of the Daily Prophet article.

Ted sighed, shaking his head. "Unfortunately, Amelia's office is like a sieve sometimes. Word got out, and Rita Skeeter, being the bug that she is, caught wind of it. The rest, as they say, is history."

"Quite the turn of events," Dora added, looking at Ted with a mixture of respect and admiration for taking such a bold step.

"Indeed," Ted nodded. "Amelia has assured me that she'll do her best to ensure a fair trial, and with our preparations, I'm confident Sirius will be free."

"I'm sure as hell not gonna allow them to take him back," Harry said with a determined look at which Ted and Andy nodded in agreement. Sirius's eyes moistened at that. He felt too blessed to have such a caring family.

"Harry, Ted, Andy, I can't thank you enough for this. You too, Dora. If it weren't for your efforts, I'd still be a wanted man without hope."

"Family sticks together," Andromeda replied simply, offering Sirius a warm smile.

Harry felt his heart swell with gratitude. For the first time in a long time, the future seemed a little brighter for all of them.

"Speaking of the article," Dora said, pushing the Special edition of the Daily Prophet to the centre.

Harry glanced at the table, picking up on the shift in mood. "About the article... Umbridge's 'if' did not go unnoticed. She made it sound as if Sirius' innocence is still up for debate."

Dora snorted. "That woman can make a mountain out of a molehill, and a scandal out of thin air. Wouldn't surprise me if she used this as another way to meddle in matters she shouldn't."

Andromeda chimed in, "It's a deliberate choice of words, meant to sow doubt. Umbridge has a knack for manipulation. I think she's trying to keep her options open, depending on how public opinion sways."

Sirius clenched his fist but managed a wry smile. "Ah, the ever-spineless politicians. But that 'if' won't stand for long. Once the trial's over, it'll be a statement of fact."

"As long as we're prepared and united, I believe justice will be served," Ted concluded, looking at each face around the table, lingering on Sirius and Harry.

"Couldn't agree more," Harry said, feeling a warmth spread through him despite the topic at hand. It was the warmth of family, of people coming together to fight for something important, something right.

As lunch drew to a close, everyone helped clear the table. Harry took a moment to appreciate the scene. Despite the challenges ahead, the looming trial, and the ever-complicated political landscape of Magical Britain, here, at this moment, he found something he'd longed for—family united against the odds.

Dora flicked her wand, and the dishes started washing themselves. "Well, that was delicious and enlightening."

After lunch had been cleared away and everyone had returned to the living room, Harry felt it was the right time to share his news. The atmosphere was comfortable, almost familial, and he cleared his throat to gain everyone's attention.

"I have something to share with you all," he began, meeting each of their eyes in turn. "I've decided to undertake some apprenticeships. They're not the traditional kind, though. I'll be doing them at Gringotts."

For a moment, the room was silent as everyone absorbed the information.

"Gringotts?" Dora was the first to break the silence, her eyes wide but intrigued. "That's super different! What kind of apprenticeships are we talking about here?"

Harry smiled, encouraged by her reaction. "A mix, really. Appraising and Magical Security and Warding. The goblins have approved both of them and I received a letter to come to Gringotts on Monday at 9 am." Harry shared happily.

Sirius looked genuinely impressed. "That sounds incredibly comprehensive, Harry. A wise choice, especially considering how diverse the goblins' understanding of magic is."

Ted, who had been listening intently, nodded. "Gringotts is not just a bank; it's a repository of some of the oldest magical knowledge. I can't think of a better place to deepen your understanding of magic, Harry." he smiled in approval.

"I'm proud of you, Harry," Andromeda added warmly. "You're taking control of your education, making choices that align with your passions." Andromeda gave him an appreciative hug.

"Thanks, everyone," Harry said, feeling a warmth spread through him. "Your support means a lot to me. It's a big step, but one I'm excited to take."

Dora grinned. "With all that ancient wisdom, you'll be even more insufferable in Trivia games."

Harry laughed, the tension in the room completely diffused. "That's the plan, you see."

Andromeda stood up, her eyes shining. "Then let's toast to new beginnings and to Harry's future success."

Glasses were raised, and for a moment, Harry felt the weight of his decision as a profoundly positive one, buoyed by the support and love of people who had become his chosen family. It was the perfect note on which to begin this new chapter in his life.

Though his mind went back to Cho and pondered how she would have reacted if he shared this, the joy he was feeling was too high to be let go and Harry enjoyed it.

"Off to work, Dora?" Andromeda asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah, Mum, the Auror office isn't going to run itself," Dora winked, her hair changing briefly to a vivid shade of pink before returning to its usual brown.

Everyone chuckled, and one by one, they began to say their goodbyes, each feeling a strange mix of apprehension and hope for what lay ahead. But for now, they were together, and that's all that mattered.

27th June 1994

Gringotts

After a heartfelt breakfast with the Tonks family and Sirius, Harry felt a mixture of anticipation and nostalgia. Today marked the beginning of his apprenticeships, a new chapter that would further shape his magical knowledge and skills. He donned robes designed specifically for his apprenticeship, adorned with discreet but intricate magical glyphs that signified the learning journey he was about to undertake.

"Take care of yourself, Harry," Andromeda said as she hugged him tightly.

"Learn a lot, but don't forget to have a bit of fun, yeah?" Dora added with a wink, pulling Harry into a less formal but equally warm embrace.

Sirius stepped forward, his eyes betraying a mix of pride and sentimentality. "You'll do great things, Harry. Just remember to be true to yourself." They hugged.

Ted, standing a bit to the side, gave Harry a nod and a smile. "Best of luck, Harry. We're all very proud of you."

With final waves and promises to see them soon, Harry turned on the spot and Disapparated, arriving outside Gringotts with a soft crack, being hooded, none identified it was him. The imposing marble structure before him seemed less intimidating and more inviting than it ever had—perhaps a sign of the changes in his life.

Entering the bank, he was sent to a new goblin who introduced himself as Skarfang. "Lord Potter, I've been assigned to oversee your progress throughout your apprenticeships. Shall we?" Skarfang gestured for Harry to follow him, leading him deeper into the labyrinthine corridors of the bank.

Harry felt an exhilarating sense of purpose as he followed the goblin. The steps he was taking were not just in Gringotts but toward a future he was moulding with his own hands. As they arrived at what appeared to be a specialized training chamber, rich with magical artefacts and laden with scrolls, Skarfang spoke.

"Welcome to the commencement meeting of your apprenticeships, Lord Potter," Skarfang said, a hint of respect in his voice. "Shall we begin?"

Harry nodded, "Yes, let's begin." Harry stepped into the room, a feeling of anticipation settling over him.

Skarfang took his seat, gesturing Harry to a chair in front of his desk. "I understand you're interested in our apprenticeship programs."

"Yes, I am," Harry replied, taking the seat.

"Excellent," Skarfang continued. "From what I've received from Bloodstain, you have applied for Appraising and Magical Security and Warding apprenticeships, correct?" Skarfang queried, readying some papers and Harry gave him a firm nod.

"Perfect. We'll discuss the terms now. Firstly, the duration. Each apprenticeship will last for seven weeks, starting from today and concluding in mid-August."

Harry nodded, mentally calculating the dates.

"Your work hours will be three hours per day, four days a week for each apprenticeship," Skarfang explained. "You're allowed three full days of unpaid leave throughout each of your apprenticeships."

"That sounds reasonable," Harry said.

"As for pay," Skarfang continued, flipping through his ledger for a moment. "For Appraising, your wage will be 4 Galleons per hour. As for Magical Security and Warding, that apprenticeship pays 5 Galleons an hour. Should you choose to undertake both apprenticeships, your total earnings would be 27 Galleons per day."

Harry's eyes widened slightly. That was a considerable amount of money for a teenager in the wizarding world.

"Regarding conduct," Skarfang added, closing the ledger, "You'll be expected to adhere to Gringotts' code of ethics and professionalism. Breaking these codes can result in immediate termination of the apprenticeship."

"I understand," Harry said, "And I fully intend to respect the terms."

"Lastly, a vow of secrecy," the goblin said, leaning back in his chair. "The information you will be privy to here is of the utmost confidentiality. You'll need to make an Unbreakable Vow not to disclose any of it."

Harry nodded, expecting as much. "I understand the importance of such information. I agree."

Skarfang smiled, a rare expression for a goblin. "Very well. Sign here," he said, extending a magical contract towards Harry.

Harry quickly read through the contract, which laid out everything Skarfang had just told him. Satisfied, Harry took a quill and signed at the bottom.

Skarfang then made Harry make a magical Vow and after the Vow took effect, Skarfang nodded in satisfaction.

"Welcome to Gringotts, Apprentice Potter," Skarfang declared, sealing the contract with a nod. "Your apprenticeship begins now, follow me."

As Harry stood up, ready to begin, he felt a sense of commitment and excitement build within him. This is a unique opportunity, one that offered him not just skills but also independence. And it is an adventure he couldn't wait to start.

1st July 1994

Tonks Estate

The days leading up to the 1st of July felt like a countdown, each moment tinged with a sense of urgency and anticipation. At the Tonks estate, Harry and Sirius were immersed in preparations. Stacks of documents, witness statements, and legal texts occupied the dining table, creating a makeshift war room.

That's when Ted brought an unbreakable intricate box and Sirius's eyes widened as he saw the cage. "Harry, is that what I think it is?" Sirius asked in disbelief. Harry turned to Sirius with a maniac grin and nodded.

"I assume you brought him from his evaluations?" Harry asked and Ted nodded. His smirk darkened. "Sirius, do whatever you want to him, no one will know," Harry said in a low whisper. Ted stood with a neutral face, not wanting to interfere.

Sirius looked at the unconscious rat for a moment before nodding negatively. "I don't want to. I've suffered enough from him. Keep him safe for the trial is all I ask." Sirius said with a faraway look and Harry's eyes dipped for a second.

Ted put a reassuring hand on Sirius's shoulder, comforting and reassuring the man that no such day would come.

As the silence fell, Dora, now acting as their bodyguard by special appointment from Amelia, walked into the room, her hair cycling through a myriad of colours to match her fluctuating moods.

As the time to leave for the Ministry approached, Harry, Sirius, Andromeda, Ted, and Dora gathered in the living room of the home for a final, preparatory conversation.

"Are we all set?" Andromeda asked, a mixture of anticipation and concern on her face. "Ted, do you have all the documents? We don't want any delays."

Ted patted a leather folder. "Everything's here—certifications, testimonies, and even a mental health evaluation from St Mungo's to counter any claims about Pettigrew's credibility. Even he is here." He said, patting the leather pouch attached to the folder.

Dora chimed in, "I've confirmed the Auror team for today; they're the best, and they won't be easily swayed by political pressure."

Sirius looked at Harry, then at the others. "Whatever happens today, I want to thank you all. Especially you, Harry. You've already done so much."

Harry shook his head, smiling a little. "We're family, Sirius. It's about time you had someone in your corner."

Sirius nodded, visibly moved. "Well, if I had to pick someone to be in my corner, I couldn't have asked for anyone better."

"And remember," Andromeda said, her eyes meeting each of theirs in turn, "no matter what Fudge or anyone else tries, we stick to the facts. We stick to the truth. That's our best weapon."

"I'll make sure to teach the Minister a lesson to touch my family," Harry said with a determined look.

Ted added, "And we have justice on our side. Don't ever forget that."

Dora gave a thumbs-up, her hair momentarily turning a triumphant shade of blue before reverting back to its usual bubblegum pink. "This is going to work. I can feel it."

They all looked at each other, a makeshift family united in purpose and hope. Each carried their own fears and expectations into the trial, but for this moment, there was a sense of unity and determination that seemed almost palpable.

As the clock ticked closer to the hour of the trial, everyone felt the tension rise like a palpable force in the air. Ted and Andromeda offered silent support, often sharing anxious glances as the household prepared for what was to come.

"Alright, everyone, time to go," Dora finally announced, her eyes sweeping over Harry, Sirius, Ted, and Andromeda.

Everyone stood up, pushing their chairs back. They all gathered near the fireplace, a common point from where they would Apparate.

"Remember, we're going straight to the Ministry Atrium," Ted reminded them. "Hands together, everyone."

They all linked hands, forming a circle. The importance of what they were about to undertake seemed to settle upon them, making the room feel heavy yet brimming with possibility.

"Let's go make this right," Sirius said in confidence. And with that final affirmation, they left for the Ministry, ready to confront whatever challenges lay ahead, together.

With a whoosh, they all felt the familiar, disorienting sensation of Apparition. Space and time seemed to twist around them until, with a sudden jolt, they found themselves standing outside the visitor's entrance where the apparition point is located in the Ministry's Atrium.

Each of them took a deep breath, mentally preparing for the trial that lay ahead. It was a day that could bring vindication and freedom. But standing there, united and ready to face whatever came their way, they all felt a sense of solidarity that no courtroom could ever put on trial.

Ministry Atrium

As they landed, Ted went to register them and get their paperwork ready to enter the Ministry from the teller which was easy as he just needed to show the Trial and parties accompanying him with Sirius being granted a special pass to ensure his safety by the DMLE.

As they moved through the Atrium, whispers of the crowd followed them like a persistent echo. Even with the hubbub of daily Ministry activities, it is clear that today's trial is the talk of the wizarding world.

"Is that Sirius Black?"

"Look, over there, it's Harry Potter!"

"Must be serious if Madam Bones has assigned Tonks for protection."

The newly promoted Auror managed to build a strong reputation for herself with no failure on her record as of now and she even aced most of her fellow Aurors in friendly spars, and being a student of Senior Auror Moody boosted her reputation a lot.

Harry, who is walking beside Sirius, felt a wave of emotions emanating from the crowd. There is curiosity and scepticism, but also a tinge of hope. Sirius seemed to pick up on it too; his posture is upright, and his stride exuded a quiet confidence that Harry has not seen in a long while.

"Do you hear that?" Sirius leaned down to whisper to Harry, nodding subtly towards the murmurs that filled the air.

"Yeah, it's hard to ignore," Harry whispered back. "But it sounds like some people are hoping for a good outcome. For you to be freed."

"That's because they know you're standing beside me," Sirius said softly, his eyes meeting Harry's. "Your presence here says more than any testimony could."

Harry felt a sense of pride mixed with responsibility. "Well, the truth needs to come out, doesn't it? And if I can help make that happen, I will."

As they continued to make their way towards the courtroom, Tonks walked a step ahead, her eyes alert and her wand discreetly at the ready. Ted and Andromeda followed closely behind, though they were quiet, their faces spoke volumes—there was unmistakable pride and hope.

The whispers seemed to grow in volume as they reached the door to the courtroom. Harry can feel countless eyes on him and Sirius, but he also sensed something else: a collective desire for justice, for a story to be set right.

Tonks paused to turn back and look at them all. "Ready?" Her voice is soft but filled with resolve.

Sirius glanced at Harry, who gave him a reassuring nod. Then they both turned to Dora, their faces set with determination.

"Let's do this," Sirius said, and with that, Dora pushed open the door and all of them stepped into the courtroom. The hushed conversations behind them seemed to melt away, leaving only the heavy weight of the moment, a moment that had the power to change lives and write a new chapter in Magical Britain's history.

Wizengamot

As the door to the courtroom creaked open, a palpable shift in atmosphere greeted them. Inside, the tiered benches are filled with a mix of Ministry officials, members of the Wizengamot, and a handful of public spectators who have managed to get in. The chatter that has filled the room fell into a hushed silence as Harry, Sirius, and their small entourage entered.

All eyes seemed to fixate on Sirius, who despite the gravity of the situation, appeared remarkably composed. His eyes met those of the Wizengamot members, a few of whom nodded subtly—a quiet acknowledgement, perhaps, of the due process that has been long denied.

Next to Sirius, Harry felt the weight of those gazes shift momentarily to him. While some looked puzzled, perhaps wondering why he is there, others seemed to radiate a quiet approval, as if his mere presence gave credibility to Sirius's case and then there are those who despised his very presence in the room.

Tonks, still playing the role of their vigilant guard, positioned herself strategically, eyes scanning the room for any sign of trouble. Andromeda and Ted took their seats, their faces taut with anticipation but also tinged with hope.

Andromeda in the seat of House Potter, being the Reagent of House Potter as Harry didn't want the matter of his Lordship come out while Harry sat beside Ted as he is the Godson of the accused. Tonks stood to the side, watching the crowd for any signs of harm to Sirius or Harry.

Cornelius Fudge, the Minister for Magic, seated in his seat beside the Jury panel, looked particularly uncomfortable, shifting in his seat as Sirius approached the defendant's chair. His eyes met Harry's for a brief moment, but Harry's gaze was unwavering with resolve and confidence, that scared Fudge.

Dumbledore, the Chief Warlock of the Wizengomot sitting in his seat to the side of the Jury panel, gave Harry and Sirius a reassuring nod.

A formidable elderly witch occupied the opposite side of the panel, her discerning eyes surveying every detail in the chamber with the intensity of a hawk's watchful stare. Harry doesn't know her.

Before the proceedings could officially begin, Ted rose from his seat and approached one of the Aurors, Kingsley Shacklebolt, who was standing guard in front of the prominent members of the Chamber. The tension in the room seemed to notch up a degree, as if everyone sensed that something significant was about to occur.

"Kingsley," Ted said in a subdued voice familiar with the man, handing him a small, intricately etched box that shimmered with an aura of potent enchantments.

"He is in there, please keep him safe for the trial," Ted said in a low whisper and got a grave nod from Kingsley as he accepted the box, carefully placing it on his robes. His wand waved briefly over the pocket, presumably checking for any tampering or foul play. Satisfied, he gave Ted a nod of approval.

"Thank you for handing in your evidence. Here is your receipt." He said in approval and gave Ted a receipt which acknowledged what the large man said.

With a respectful nod, Ted returned to his seat, sharing a fleeting glance with Andromeda. Her eyes met his, filled with both love and gratitude, silently thanking him for the role he'd played in bringing forth the truth. Ted gave her a reassuring one of his own.

Back in his chair, Sirius looked up and caught Ted's eye, nodding appreciatively. A faint but genuine smile touched his lips. He had seen the box, and though its contents were concealed, Sirius knew what it was—hope, justice, and freedom.

The room quieted down once more, its occupants now aware that something extraordinary was about to unfold. Speculative glances are exchanged, and whispers are reduced to inaudible murmurs. Every eye is trained on Amelia as she prepared to open the proceedings, taking the centre seat on the panel.

At that moment, Harry felt a strange blend of nervousness and anticipation. He looked over to Sirius, the man doing his best to not laugh at the stupid looks everyone is giving him. A small smile graced Harry's lips at that. He is confident everything will go as planned today and so it began.

As the court settled and the room buzzed with anticipation, Amelia Bones cleared her throat to address an elephant in the room—one that had been the subject of considerable whispering among the attendees.

"Before we begin, for those unfamiliar with the current structure, our jury today will consist of a three-member panel. Aside from myself, presiding in my capacity as Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, we have Headmaster Albus Dumbledore, serving as Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot."

She then turned her attention to the third seat, occupied by an elderly witch with sharp eyes and a dignified bearing. "We are also joined by Madam Griselda Marchbanks, Chief Examiner for the Wizarding Examinations Authority, and the senior most member from the Ministry."

The room shifted its focus to Madam Marchbanks, who sat upright, her eyes scanning the room with an intensity that belied her age. Amelia continued, "Madam Marchbanks' lifelong dedication to wizarding education and law makes her a valuable member of this panel. Her integrity and impartiality are unimpeachable, providing additional assurance that today's proceedings will be conducted fairly and justly."

Madam Marchbanks nodded graciously, her experienced eyes scanning the room. She had seen many trials and knew the weight her presence carried, especially in a case like this, teeming with both legal intricacies and emotional charge.

Dumbledore, too, looked on with solemnity, his eyes meeting Amelia's in a moment of shared commitment to justice.

"As you can see," Amelia concluded, "this jury panel has been carefully selected to represent the various facets of our community, with the common goal of ascertaining the truth and ensuring justice is served."

The sense of gravity is palpable as the room absorbed Amelia's words. Today is not just another trial; it is a pivotal moment in Magical Britain's history, and everyone in the Chamber seemed to know it.

With the jury now introduced, Amelia continued, "Now that we have established the jury, let us begin the proceedings. This is a trial unlike any other, and we must adhere strictly to the principles of justice and fairness as we move forward." Her stern voice reached all corners, warning any who wanted to interrupt.

The atmosphere in the courtroom shifted subtly, taking on an even graver, more sombre tone. Those in attendance seemed to fully grasp the gravity of the trial, and the weight of it on the society. With a jury of such high calibre, it is clear that this will be a trial carried out with the utmost integrity, free from influence or bias.

Amelia's words have a clear and potent effect. The room seemed to accept her explanation; a few nods are exchanged, and the chatter subsided. Those in attendance seemed to understand the distinction and the importance of keeping this trial strictly a matter of law and justice.

With that said, Amelia took a deep breath, signalling the true beginning of a trial that will, in many ways, reshape public perception of justice in Magical Britain.

She straightened her posture and raised her wand, sending a clear, bell-like tone reverberating throughout the courtroom. Conversations ceased immediately, and all eyes were on her. It's time to begin.

"Order," she announced, her voice steady and authoritative. "This court is now in session. We are gathered here today to reexamine the case of Sirius Orion Black, who has been imprisoned without trial for the past twelve years on charges of murder, betrayal, and support for the Dark Lord He-who-must-not-be-named."

She paused, letting the weight of her words sink in. "May I remind everyone present that this is a court of law. Emotional outbursts will not be tolerated, and facts will be the only currency accepted here."

Amelia then turned her gaze to the two solicitors standing at opposite tables near the front of the room. "Edward Tonks, representing Sirius Black, and Malcolm Stroud, representing the Ministry of Magic. Are both parties prepared to present their cases?"

Edward Tonks, his posture upright but not rigid, responded first. "Yes, Madam Bones. We are prepared.

Across from him, Malcolm Stroud, a middle-aged wizard with a stern countenance, nodded. "The Ministry is also prepared, Madam Bones."

"Very well," Amelia said, her eyes sweeping the room one last time before focusing back on Edward. "Mr Tonks, you may begin with your opening statement."

As Edward stood to begin, an air of expectation filled the room. The attendees, from the members of the Wizengamot to the gallery full of onlookers, seemed to hold their collective breath, sensing the gravity of the moment.

Across the courtroom, Rita Skeeter's Quick-Quotes Quill is poised for action. Her eyes gleamed with a mix of cunning and delight; she could already envision the headlines. Regardless of the trial's outcome, Rita knew she'd have a sensational story.

Minister Fudge, sitting not too far from Amelia, wore an expression that is a blend of caution and curiosity. He knew that the verdict of this case could either affirm the Ministry's actions or, conversely, serve as a damning critique of its failings, his failings given he is the one who oversaw Sirius's proceedings on that day. His palms are sweaty, betraying his calm exterior. He is hoping for a conclusion that will leave his political standing untarnished, yet there is a nagging doubt within him.

Lucius Malfoy sat impeccably dressed, his cane rested against the bench. While he maintained an air of indifference, his mind raced. If Sirius is acquitted, what will that mean for the old alliances, the carefully concealed secrets, and the future of the Death Eaters? Lucius observed Ted carefully, the veneer of apathy barely concealing his agitation.

In contrast, Ted's demeanour is a beacon of steadfastness and sincerity. Clearing his throat, he began his opening statement. "Ladies and Gentlemen of the chamber, today we gather here not just to examine the merits of a single case, but to test the very foundations of our justice system."

"We are tasked with the solemn duty to evaluate not just the guilt or innocence of Sirius Black, but to scrutinize the integrity of the legal processes that have led us to this point. Our verdict will echo far beyond these hallowed walls; it will reverberate through the corridors of power, and resonate in the hearts and minds of every witch, wizard, and magical being under the jurisdiction of this Ministry."

Ted paused, letting the gravity of his words sink in. "We have been entrusted with a sacred obligation—an obligation to uphold justice, to ensure that the scales are balanced, and to affirm the principles that our society claims to value: fairness, equality, and the pursuit of truth. If we falter in this endeavour if we allow prejudice or apathy to cloud our judgment, we don't just fail Sirius Black, we fail ourselves, and we fail the future generations who look to us as pillars of wisdom and justice."

Taking a deep breath, Ted continued, "The evidence, when examined without the veil of preconceptions, speaks for itself. It tells a story not just of one man wrongfully imprisoned, but of systemic shortcomings that we can no longer afford to ignore." With a nod of appreciation for everyone's patience, he sat.

As Ted spoke, the air seemed to thicken with tension, each word cutting through the veils of doubt and apprehension. The room fell silent except for Ted's voice and the occasional scratch of Rita's quill. And as Ted laid out his arguments, there is a collective, unspoken realisation that they are standing on the precipice of change. The magnitude of the decision ahead weighed heavily on all present, as they understood that this trial would be a defining moment for Magical Britain's justice system.

The prosecutor stood up, straightening his robes as he prepared to speak. Though he wore a serious expression, there is an edge of wariness in his eyes; Ted's opening statement had set a high bar.

"Ladies and Gentlemen," he began, "we are here to examine facts, not philosophise about the state of our justice system. We are here to uphold the law and determine whether Sirius Black is a criminal or an innocent man."

He paused, scanning the faces of the jury. "We have a duty to be vigilant in upholding our laws and securing our society against those who would threaten it. The Ministry of Magic stands by its initial actions, based on the evidence that was available at the time of Sirius Black's arrest. He was found laughing maniacally at the scene of the crime, wand in hand, surrounded by Muggle victims and left with a finger as a reminder of his sacrifice, Order of Merlin, Peter Pettigrew."

The prosecutor turned towards Sirius, who sat calmly. "The defendant's guilt was considered beyond reasonable doubt back then. Today, we are here to re-examine that conclusion based on new evidence. But let us not forget, that the safety of our society should be our foremost concern. Let us proceed carefully, scrutinising every shred of evidence, every testimony, every claim—no matter how fantastical they may appear."

With that, he sat in his seat, his statement lingering in the air like a challenge. The courtroom remained silent for a few seconds, each individual pondering the weight of the prosecutor's words.

It is evident: this trial was not just about Sirius Black, but about the integrity of the entire Wizarding justice system, its past failures, and its hopes for reform. The room braced itself for what is to come, knowing that every word spoken henceforth would reverberate far beyond these walls.

After absorbing the gravity of both opening statements, the room is thick with anticipation. The jury exchanged brief, thoughtful glances with each other, a silent communication of the monumental decision that lay ahead. Amelia cleared her throat, ready to begin the proceedings.

Finally, she raised her gavel, paused for a moment as if allowing the tension to further cement itself, and then brought it down with a resounding clap. "The prosecution may begin," she announced.

Malcolm Stroud stood once more and cleared his throat. "The prosecution calls Auror Josephine Williams to the stand," he announced.

A stern-looking woman in Auror robes made her way to the stand and took the magical oath to speak the truth. Stroud then began his line of questioning.

"Auror Williams, please recount for us the events that led to the arrest of Sirius Black."

Williams nodded, her face serious. "I was part of the team that apprehended Sirius Black in 1981. We found him laughing maniacally at the scene where thirteen people were killed. He offered no resistance when arrested."

Stroud nodded as if this is the exact answer he expected. "No further questions," he declared, taking his seat.

Edward rose from his seat, pacing just a bit before beginning his cross-examination. "Auror Williams, you said Mr Black was found at the scene and offered no resistance. Were any spells or magical forensic analyses performed to confirm it was his wand that had cast the fatal curses?"

Auror Williams shifted uncomfortably. "No, we did not perform any such analyses at the time. The circumstances seemed quite clear."

Edward nodded gravely. "Circumstances seemed quite clear. Jury, please note that, Thank you, Auror Williams."

He took his seat, and Amelia Bones gestured for him to proceed with his defence.

"The defence calls its first witness," Edward announced.

At that moment, two Aurors entered the courtroom, carrying a small box between them. Inside the cage is a rat. The courtroom burst into whispers, the atmosphere thick with confusion and anticipation.

Edward approached the cage. "Ladies and Gentlemen of the Wizengamot, what you are about to witness will clarify many misconceptions that have surrounded this case for over a decade." He nodded for the Aurors accompanying.

They approached the cage containing the rat with practised efficiency. One of them carefully levitated the rat out of the cage, while the other brandished her wand. "Revertus," she intoned clearly.

With a flash of light and a twisting, contorting shape, the rat transformed. Peter Pettigrew, once thought dead but now standing before the court, materialised in his human form. He is chained almost immediately in the stand, his hands and feet bound with magical restraints.

Gasps filled the room. Edward turned to the stunned assembly.

"This," he said, pointing to Pettigrew, "is the real murderer and betrayer. This is the man who should have been in Azkaban."

Pettigrew looked ghastly. He is pale, almost translucent as if he had been deprived of sunlight for years. His body is frail and emaciated, making the clothes he wore hang loosely from his frame. His eyes are unfocused, darting around the courtroom, not settling on any particular person or object. His overall demeanour suggested a man who was barely there, a shadow of the person he had once been.

The courtroom erupted into hushed whispers, each observer trying to comprehend the implications of this unprecedented moment. Sirius Black, standing accused for years, now seemed to have a tangible form of vindication, while Pettigrew—thought to be the victim and a noble hero who sacrificed himself—appeared more like a perpetrator. The gravity of the situation is palpable, and the air is thick with anticipation for what will come next.

Amelia's voice cut through the heavy tension in the courtroom as she called it to order. "This jury formally recognizes the individual before us, following his transformation, as the accused: Peter Pettigrew, previously presumed deceased. Given the exceptional circumstances surrounding this case, the jury authorises the use of Veritaserum to expedite the proceedings and ensure the integrity of the testimonies provided."

She signalled to an Auror who stepped forward with a vial of the clear truth serum. Carefully, he administered three drops to Pettigrew, who seemed almost too disoriented to resist. After a few moments to allow the potion to take effect, Amelia began the interrogation.

"State your full name for the record," she commanded.

"Peter Andrew Pettigrew," he replied, his voice barely above a whisper.

"Did you betray James and Lily Potter?"

Pettigrew's eyes, clouded by the potion's effect, met Amelia's. "Yes," he muttered, almost inaudibly.

"Was Sirius Black involved in their betrayal?"

"No," Pettigrew answered, his voice tinged with a sorrow that the potion couldn't mask.

"Who was responsible for the deaths of the thirteen Muggles you were alleged to have killed?"

"I was," he replied, his words eliciting gasps throughout the courtroom.

Amelia turned her gaze towards the jury and then to Sirius. "You have all heard the confession. The serum does not lie."

As Pettigrew sat trembling in the stand, still under the effects of the potion, a murmur spread through the crowd. Then, a particularly audacious member of the audience sitting beside Rita, fueled by frustration and disbelief and excitement stood up, ignoring the typical courtroom decorum. "PETTIGREW, YOU RAT! Why and how did you betray your friends? ANSWER ME!"

Amelia's gavel slammed down onto her desk with resounding authority, cutting Pettigrew off just as he opened his mouth to speak. "Order! Order in the court! The accused shall not respond to questions from the gallery."

Turning her steely gaze to the individual who had spoken out of turn, she added, "Aurors, kindly remove that person from the courtroom immediately. This is a court of law, not a public debate."

With a final, disapproving look at the audience, Amelia turned her attention back to the matter at hand, leaving no doubt that she would tolerate no further disruptions.

"We will recess for the jury to deliberate, but given the clarity of the evidence, I expect we will reach a prompt conclusion."

And Cut.

That's it for this Chapter, folks. Hope you all liked it. Tell me, what you think of the chapter and story in general.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

See y'all in the next chapter.

Black Infinity 1289,

Ja Ne.

6