21. A Pleasant Scenery
141 5 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Camille's gazed focused on Molok from underneath her latex cheetah mask.

"So, what's the plan?"

She was just about done with the end of her preparations. Having stuffed an innumerable amount of food, weapons and even household appliances which she considered making toxic gas with, into her inventory, Camille was ready. Ready to engage and defeat her opponent alongside her newly acquired companion, the only question then was how.

"Our current objective is to either find a place to settle and prepare our defences or discover the killer before Aedi finds us."

Discovering the killer, huh? Being completely honest to herself, Camille thought that the former scenario of fighting her seemed much more interesting. Granted, in the best-case scenario, the two would accomplish both objectives, but if she was forced to choose, then well.

Camille already knew what she would pick.

As she was thinking that over, Camille's hand tried to scratch at her chin.

Soft and synthetic to the touch, Camille comprehended that it wasn't her face she was touching.

Lame.

Forgetting that she had a mask on, Camille relegated herself to just bearing with it for the time being. Adamantly, Camille focused her attention on the matter of Aedi.

Supposedly, she was only one of the threats present.

After all, from what Aedi said, there should've been multiple bounty hunters. Multiple, not one or half a person, or even a quarter, but multiple.

So far, though, it seemed that Molok thought nothing of them. To the extent of not even mentioning them, was it a result of a mistake on his behalf, or was it intentional?

"And what about the other bounty hunters?" Camille questioned, her curiosity having reached its peak.

"They will not be of trouble."

"What?"

Camille was at a loss for words. No doubt there was a piece of knowledge fundamentally missing.

"These 'bounty hunters' which you refer to, do not usually compete with each other over a target, much less one like Aedi." Molok added, placing an emphasis and curl of his fingers at the mention of 'bounty hunters'.

A breath of relief left Camille's body. Thank goodness. Taking on multiple of those bounty hunters just didn't seem probable to Camille. It would have been challenging to kill Aedi alone, but two or even seven of people just like her?

Yeah, maybe when I reach level ten or something.

There was a time and place for everything, and getting eviscerated by a bunch of bounty hunters would not be this day. Actually, now that Camille thought about it, it would not be any other day in the conceivable future, for that matter, either.

"Though it's still a bit strange," Camille said. "Why the hell did she say that I would have to kill all the bounty hunters in this city or find the murderer?"

"Most likely because she wished to see your reaction."

Was that really the answer?

Had she gone out of her way to implant the idea of doubt, danger and death into Camille just for some silly kicks?

"Makes sense."

That was understandable, really. Very irritating and bothersome sure, but understandable nonetheless. If Aedi's not an idiot, then there's no real reason not to extract as much pleasure out of your life as possible.

Whether it be adding that single extra cube of sugar to your tea, wearing your favourite shirt, or just kicking your enemy one last time on the floor because it's fun, that was all there was to it.

Life, to most, is just a question of indulgence.

Camille herself wasn't any different in that regard.

Sure, her original reason to beat the magician was purely that of survival. However, Camille found her own reasons shift with how things progressed.

If she were asked her current reasons, Camille would have replied that it was for the sense of accomplishment and renown. Nothing more, nothing less.

Lingering on the resemblance between her own personality and Aedi's, the sense that something was amiss invaded Camille's mind.

Camille seemed to have missed an important detail.

In regards to what Molok had said about Aedi earlier, Camille noticed something particular.

While Camille understood the general sentiment behind bounty hunters avoiding each other, Molok had made it seem like Aedi was some special case.

Some kind of extra warning that only added further incentive to not mess with a fellow bounty hunter, was Aedi someone considered special?

Camille's muscles naturally tensed up at that thought.

"What do you mean one like Aedi? She some kinda hotshot or something?"

Molok took longer than usual to reply to that question.

"Well, she is quite powerful from what I have seen. Though I am unable to offer personal insight as to whether she is a hotshot."

Well. There went Camille's aspirations to become famous overnight. If only she was some kind of uber mega magician at the top of the hierarchy.

If only.

Still, while the chances of beating her and gaining a reputation were probably out the window, it wasn't as if all the satisfaction from a potential victory was lost.

If Camille heard correctly, Molok still referred to Aedi as powerful, if anything else. While previously unsure if she had viewed her abilities through the lens of a civilian unfamiliar with the world of magicians, Camille now confirmed that wasn't the case.

Just Aedi's stats alone were enough proof of that. Easily double or triple regular people's capabilities, there was no question as to whether her stats were excellent.

But stats weren't everything. And what's more, Camille suspected that the vast majority of her powers weren't conveyed through numbers but rather feats.

To assess her true power, Camille chose to ask in terms of more anecdotal evidence.

"So, how does her magic work?"

"Her ma-gic?"

Dragging for longer than usual, it was evident that some effort went into the pronunciation of magic.

"Well, the nature of her magic lies within Egyptian mythology, and her primary source of invocation derives from it if that is what you mean."

Camille did not understand what that meant.

The only form of magic that she had any clue as to how it functioned was Standardized Magic. Perceived as the most widely available and understood system, Standardized Magic was a series of principles built upon the fundamentals of real-world science. Capable of altering and combining chemical reactions, many of its so called spells were dependent on logic.

Recalling her days in high school, Camille remembered a spell known as 'Frequency Alteration'.

Demonstrated by a teacher who undoubtedly had much higher qualifications then necessary, it was a spell that could reinforce and alter the sharpness of any object. Through the input of vibrations, which would cause the object to repeatedly oscilate at incredible speeds, even something as cutting titanium with a butter knife was possible.

But, while the way to achieve such magic was through a wonder of paranormal, the results weren't anything supernatural.

The same could not be said for Aedi's 'magical light snakes.' Sure, while such a result was technically replicable through illusions and the refractions of lights, the likelihood of it was very low. Seeing as how she referred to herself as a priestess, was it possible that she borrowed her power from some diety?

Regrettable as it was, Camille would have to depend on Molok for any further sources of information.

In the school where she grew up in, Camille had only the privilege to be taught the most basic of magical principles in class. Sufficient to the point of attracting any would be magic enthusiast and brief where it wouldn't impact most of her academic curriculum. The rest of the information which was confidential and reserved for those who actually had talent had to be accessed through private universities and government programmes.

"So, like, does she get her power from an Egyptian god or something?"

"Hm, in some sense, yes. But, if you want to be more specific about it, it is more as if she is deriving her power from the belief around the Egyptian gods."

Camille wondered what the hell that was supposed to mean.

"Do you know the fundamental difference between a magician and a normal human?"

"Yeah, a magic vessel, right?"

Molok nodded and revealed a thumbs up of approval.

"But do you know what a magic vessel is?"

"Nope."

Though the term seemed vaguely familiar, there had been no real reason for Camille to pay in class after a certain point. With her previous attitude on the matter, just knowing that such a special breed of people existed was enough to piss her off.

"Well, a magic vessel is what allows a magician to access The Fabric. Which in itself is made of the collective unconscious of people and their beliefs given form. Which then, through the application of mana, is allowed to be brought to life to alter reality. Which in itself is t-"

"Okay! Thanks a lot, sweetheart."

Cutting him off in the middle of his monologue, Camille just about grasped what Molok was trying to say.

If beliefs affected something in The Fabric or whatever, then that would explain why Aedi could use magic from Egyptian mythology. In simple terms, Aedi's gimmick was bringing aspects of that mythology to life.

Cool as it was, that did make Camille wonder.

Were there other magics based on other myths and beliefs too?

Hell, could there technically be a magician who practices magic inspired by literature or anime, considering that there's probably some maniac who believes they're real?

Yeah, that's pretty jank.

There were probably some details omitted for the sake of convenience, but Camille had understood the overall message.

"May I perhaps redirect our attention to our objective for today?"

"Hm?" Camille uttered in conjecture. "Oh yeah, are we gonna search for the killer or just wait for Aedi?"

"The choice is up to you. But just so you know, I have no real abilities that would help us identify trails."

"Then it's decided," Camille called out exuberantly. "We'll find somewhere to prepare, and then, we'll ambush her!"

Camille slammed her fist into the table. Then, for added dramatic effect got off her chair. Motivated by the impending fight that had yet to come, a wide grin was plastered across her face.

Meanwhile, as all of this came to pass, Molok stared at her in silence. Without a single expression, or action that would betray his emotions, he instead posed one very simple question.

"May I ask how old you are, Camille?"

Spoken as politely as he could, there was nothing inherently malicious in his words. Nothing that indicated so much as an ounce or smidgen of mockery or contempt, it was a question presented with the spirit of inquiry of a child.

But even so, Camille still found herself freezing in place.

"I'm twenty-six. Why?"

Without realizing it Camille's face suddenly held a tinge of pink.

"N-no reason in particular." Molok let out, his body slightly turned to the side. "I just think it is good for one of your age to have such youthful energy."

Looking at him with a deadpan expression, Camille coughed as naturally as she possibly could.

The two who then stood at uneven odds, would share an uncomfortable silence with each other.

 

9