Volume 3 Chapter 4 – Budding Familiarity (Part 4/4)
518 6 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kaede was rubbing her stomach as she walked around the halls after dinner. It was yet another downside of becoming a girl, and a petite one at that. She could no longer stuff down entire plates when facing a scrumptious meal. In fact, she couldn't even finish the modest servings given to her at dinner.

First world problems, she chided herself.

Thousands of survivors in the ruined city outside were still living off soup kitchens, yet here she was complaining about overindulging in delicacies. Though Kaede could at least take comfort in knowing that her food wouldn't go to waste. The servant staff would devour any leftovers -- she had seen it first-hand back in the servants’ hall of the Oriflamme Palace.

Nevertheless, Kaede's normally flat stomach did sport a small and uncomfortable bulge tonight. Hence she strolled about the Keep's carpeted stone hallways, hoping to hasten digestion before she turned in for the night.

I really should watch my food intake.

The female metabolism was considerably lower than that of males by nature. Combined with her smaller stature, lower muscle mass, and a lack of an aerobic exercise routine, it was extremely easy for her to overeat compared to what her body was capable of burning off.

The last thing she needed from Pascal was a patronizing lecture on 'getting fat'.

"Evening," Kaede bowed her head in greeting as she passed two maids walking the opposite way.

She received two curtsies and fake smiles in return, but not a single opportunity for friendly conversation. Nor did her keen hearing miss the whispers that emerged as soon as she was out of ordinary earshot:

"Can you believe the little harlot received a Knight's Cross?"

"Maybe she has redeeming traits after all," said the other maid.

It made Kaede hope that she might have finally gained a bit of acceptance.

"Oh she's brave all right. She has to be to sleep with a princess' fiancé! I bet you that when His Grace gets married, her head will be the first to roll..."

Kaede sighed again as she picked up her pace, hoping they would leave her actual earshot as soon as possible.

Stupid servants. Who cares about what they think, she tried to convince herself.

Events in real life always proved wishful thinking wrong in the most unpleasant way.

The problem was: part of her was genuinely afraid of what she just heard. Perhaps the Princess really was just tolerating her for the moment, and would seek to remove her as soon as they tied the knot in the eyes of their Holy Father. Nothing brought cruelty out like jealousy. And in a world like this, even facing the guillotine might be a 'good end' compared to being vanished off into the black markets as a slave.

No, no, Kaede closed her eyes and shook her head. I can't think the worst of people. It's neither fair nor right. Besides... a smile prodded her lips as she thought of the Princess' compliments yesterday. She is trying to be nice.

Kaede stopped by a window at the edge of the hallway's turn. It was one of those fancy windows that Weichsel excelled at producing, with beautiful stained glass framing its transparent center. She pushed it open to the icy winds outside. The cold air billowing in from the lake stung her cheeks. Yet at the same time, to feel the refreshing chill, to listen to rhythmic waves of Cross Lake wash ashore -- it was exactly what she needed to calm her conflicted thoughts.

Thankfully for her thin figure, her self-heating garments continued to keep her in wraps of soothing warmth.

Kaede wasn't sure how long she stared absentmindedly into the pitch darkness above the cloud-covered lake. However, as she finally closed the window, she heard an odd retching noise -- faint even to her familiar-enhanced senses -- coming from down the hallway.

She silently crept down the corridor, trying to keep her steps as soft as possible. By the time she reached another bend in the hallway, she heard the heavy steps of someone emerging from a nearby room.

A quick peek around the corner left her astounded. It was the Princess. Her sickly countenance was as white as paper, while Lady Mari led her out of the doorway.

"Ughhh... I hate this feeling." Kaede heard Sylviane's miserable groan.

"Perhaps if Your Highness stopped doing it." Mari replied in her ever composed tone.

"That's easy for you to say. I wasn't born with good metabolism you know. I certainly don't need to hear anyone else mocking me for my appearance again... least of all Pascal."

Kaede was a hundred percent certain that she shouldn't be here. She definitely shouldn't be hearing this. But at this point, any movement from her was more likely to give her presence away.

"I don't think His Grace would deride you about something so shallow," Mari countered. "He has never said anything ill about your looks. Quite the opposite, from what you have told me."

"Maybe not, but I don't want to be an embarrassment for him to stand next to either..."

Sylviane then paused to take a few deep breaths.

"In any case, we've been over this a hundred times. Just help me back to my room, then get me something to drown this wretched taste out of my mouth."

Neither said anything after that, and the pair of footsteps could be heard moving down the hallway in the other direction. It was only after Kaede heard their steps vanish down the hall that she exhaled the breath that she had unconsciously held.

She then peeked across the corner to confirm that they were indeed gone before thinking to herself:

She threw up. Intentionally. And not for the first time.

Sylviane's appearance might not be exceptional, but she did have the slim figure that girls in well-fed societies sought as the epitome of beauty.

Kaede could understand why people turned to such ends. Many girls in Japan were borderline if not outright anorexic, as the pressure from the demands of society and unfair gender expectations was constant and overbearing. Yet for Sylviane, not touching her food was hardly an option. After all, she often attended banquets and feasts with men -- who are blessed with high metabolism in their youth and tended to run loose with weight as they aged.

But still... does Pascal know about this?

Just as she thought his name, Pascal's telepathy homed in through their bond:

"<Try not to think negatively of her for it.>"

"<I'm not,>" Kaede chased away her condescending urges before she started to fume: "<And were you using my senses without permission again?>"

"<Only a peek. Sorry.>" He apologized. "<You had sent quite a shock across the empathic link. I had thought you might have been in danger from something.>"

Kaede couldn't even get angry when he put it like that.

"<You're forgiven then. More importantly, how long have you known about this?>"

"<Since her third visit to Nordkreuz -- when she was twelve, I think?>" Pascal pondered. "<She was really sensitive about her looks growing up.>"

"<I can imagine!>" Kaede almost said out loud. "<So she's been doing this for at least eight, nine years already? It's a really unhealthy habit!>"

"<I think she already knows that. Though healing magic goes a long way to nullify any damage to her throat. Nevertheless, I am not going to scold a girl about her eating or dieting habits when she has a complex over appearances. People may think I am insensitive, but I am far from downright stupid.>

"<Besides,>" Pascal continued, "<she has enough pressure on her without me nitpicking her bad habits. None of us are perfect.>"

"<Far from it,>" Kaede agreed.

To administer an empire as fragmented and complicated as Rhin-Lotharingie -- it really was too much responsibility for a girl fresh out of her teens to handle. Under the circumstances, Sylviane already took far more upon her thin shoulders than anyone has the right to ask of her.

Although... Kaede's mind took a sharp turn as her tired mind looked for something less exhausting to think about. "<Does that mean you won't complain if I put on a little weight either?>"

However Pascal held no such leniency towards her:

"<Certainly not! If you get fat, I will personally drag you away from your books and force you to exercise!>"

22