V1 Rewrite. Ch 17. Reconnaissance by fire
596 1 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After Drake ran away to pick up a quest, the remaining members of 'Blackstone' discussed the terms of our temporary cooperation.

Through my diplomacy skills (or through pure luck) I managed to have them agree to let me take all of the spoils of the battle, as well as get my hands on a share of the quest rewards.

Another benefit is that I might get a chance to see some proper adventurer combat, which I barely get a chance to see with our incomplete party.

When Drake brought the quest, I found even more reasons to join the subjugation. The quest was subjugation of a wyvern.

All that I managed to find about the wildlife of this world is that all flying monsters that can pose an actual threat are the wyverns. They are just one type of flying reptiles, the other being dragons. While dragons are much stronger, they rarely show themselves and prefer to use their servants to do the job. Not to mention that they are much more awkward in the air than the wyverns.

This quest was a perfect way to find out about how the wyverns fare in combat, as well as obtain information on how I can find them.

“What are you thinking about?” (D)

This is none of your concern."

"But we are comrades in arms now. Why don't you tell us how you feel?" (D)

" 'Comrades', ha? As if I ever had a need to have you. Neither do I need to tell you something that is irrelevant to the quest."

[I have a strong feeling that something is not right about them. I should keep my eyes on them.]

"So mean~..." (D)

"Just how are we going to do this...?" We have only two actual ways to hit a flying target: Marin and her bow, and Lily, probably, and me, probably. One actually capable long-range fighter, and two half-useful mages.

"We have a plan. It's not our first time." Lily tried to sound confident, but I felt like she was just trying to cover up the fact we have no way of killing a flying wyvern.


After all preparations were finished we headed to the nearby mountain range. I was told that wyverns nest on rocks and cliffs, so it was the first place I'd have to search.

Our wyvern's location was already made known by the scouting adventurers. There was a nice mountain trail we used, and it would lead us all the way to the nest.

'You've got to be kidding me...?'

'RAAAAA!'

The wyvern was sitting just 200 meters away from the start of the trail. Luckily for us, the monster had no way of immediately taking off, giving us a slight handicap.

It charged at us with grace of a beached plesiosaurus, and I charged too.

[I just hope that think doesn't spit flames...]

'RAAAA!'

The wyvern did not breathe fire, and just tried to bite me.

It's head was as long as my height, but its brain must be the size of a peanut, since its jaws were stopped with my naginata's pole.

"HOW ABOUT SOMEBODY HELPS ME?!"

While the wyvern's head was still, an arrow hit its eye.

'RAAAAAA!!!'

The monster had to stop pressuring me, and with Drake's arrival we started baiting the wyvern from the sides.

When I accidentally missed with the naginata, and made Drake evade my attack, the wyvern immediately grasped the opportunity and took off.

"You are not getting away!" Lily shouted and started to chant.

The girl created a large chunk of ice and launched it at the monster. The icicle damaged the wyvern's wing, stopping its attempt at fleeing.

Now that it was completely cornered and had no way of fleeing, the wyvern went berserk.

'RAAAA!'

"I'LL HANDLE IT!" I immediately rushed to block the monster's path, and drew its attention.

Even though my melee skills are negligeable, I am still capable of holding a stick horizontally, while using my strength to stop the wyvern.

The monster mindlessly pushed its head at me, and ignored whatever was happening around it.

The 'Blackstone' did not waste this opportunity.

Drake was attacking it in melee, cutting its limbs and wings, while Marin and Lily were showering the wyvern with long-range attacks.

The entire sight of a small girl holding a 2 ton monster should be… surreal to say the least. Luckily, I had enough time to pretend that I am f* struggling with my life at stake, and that I somehow mustered all of my strength to just hold it. There are people who can handle an entire truck driving over them, am I worse than they are?

Under the adventurers' onslaught, the wyvern received huge damage, and when it stopped pressing at me, albeit for a second, I pulled the naginata away, and in a swift move I cut its throat.

It was just finishing off a dying creature, but now I had a way to brag even more.


All the way back to the city, the 'Blackstone' kept on pestering me about 'expressing gratitude', and dragging me to that 'father' guy. Now that I showed off even more, I had to pay back with my sanity.

Lucky me, the city showed up sooner than I went crazy and murdered them all in a maniacal killing spree.

"I said that countless times already. NO. We've arrived, so f* off!" Before they had a chance to stop me, I hurried away. Mostly to sell some loot.

Before I arrived to the adventurers guild, I opened the 'Details'. Immeditely, my bag of wyvern loot vanished.

Ding

You received 1 gold coin, 93 silver coins, 35 upgrade points, 2 skill point, 1 weapon point, 1 steam catapult (Common), 2 Type 99 (AA Gun), Type 99 Cannon (Main Gun), Type 98 Cannon (Main Gun), 3’’/ 40 Naval gun (Main Gun)


IJN Fuji – CV. Level 1/7. (Upgrade cap 40)

FP – 10

AA – 5

AV – 10

RD – 10

AC – 40

Main Gun 3''/40 Naval Gun
Secondary Guns 4 Type 99 Rifle (4 Max)
Anti-aircraft Guns 3 Type 99 Rifle (8 Max)
Flight deck Ready
Arresting wires Installed (Rare)
Steam catapults

1 - Installed (Epic - Grade 2)

2 - Installed (Common)

3 - Uninstalled

4 - Uninstalled

Rapid deployment. Lvl 2. Tenacity and bravery. Lvl 1. Brave new world. Lvl 2.
Starts battle with 10% aircraft in air. Every 30s shows your pathetic firepower: 5% bonus to FP and AA. On activation: launches special airstrike of A2N, B2M and D1A. Can be activated every 1 hour.

[I guess that now I can ignore accuracy issues. It is either I hit something, or I blow it up…]

16