V1 Rewrite Ch 18. Conquering the skies
390 1 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After I got rid of the annoying 'Blackstone', I had to decide on my next course of action.

Naturally, since I learned that I can take down the wyverns, and that their loot costs some cash, I proceeded with exterminating them.

I picked up my porte... I mean friends, and headed out towards the mountains.

“So, what are we going to do?” Porter A asked me a weird question.

“Of course we are going to slay some wyverns.”

WHAT?! WHY DIDN’T YOU SAY THAT BEFOREHAND?!” Porter E was a bit surprised.

Fuji, you know that we will die, unlike you” Porter A tried to dissuade me.

“You are here not to fight.”

“Then why are we here?” Both of them asked the same.

“To carry the loot.”


An hour after we exited the city, we found a nice flat area with a good view. I intended to please myself with the view, while the aircraft are doing their part. After all, I will be stuck here for some time.

The plan was to take down as many wyverns as possible with aircraft. It was my first step at learning air combat in controlled environment. Wyvern nests can be found, and I can aggro small groups to avoid losing everything at once.

All 8 A1N biplanes were fueled and armed. This time, however, I didn't park them at the stern to use the entire flight deck for take off, and instead I put them at the bow, right behind the catapults.

Since the biplanes weight a bit more than a feather, I tuned down the catapults' power.

While the aircraft were launched with the catapults, I proceeded with planning the tactics.

I came up with a standard tactic of attacking in pairs. The leading fighter will draw the attention of a wyvern and the following will be attacking. The difference is that I only use 2 pairs for this. Which means an entire flight remains unused. And this flight is also divided into two pairs, which stand by at a higher altitude near the fighting pairs. In case things go the wrong way, they will come to assist. 

I highly doubt that an animal like wyvern is capable of fighting an aircraft. Especially I doubt that it can perform aerial combat.

The wyverns rarely nest near human settlements, and even if they do, they do so in places where it almost impossible to reach them, so the aircraft pushed deep into the mountain range.


A biplane with red markings was flying above the mountain range. Its pilot was attentively looking around and tried to find the possible enemy. His war started a long time ago, when he was sent by his Master to search around, and now he is about to enter an actual battle, the battle for air superiority.

“Red 2, this is Red 1. Enemy at 10 o’clock. Be ready to carry out the plan.”

“Understood, climbing.”

The small biplane is only armed with 2 machine guns and is incapable of damaging any strong opponent. Their Master ordered them to be ready in case their guns fail to penetrate the wyvern’s hide.

He will be the first to find out if they can fight the monsters, or if they are not worthy of their Master’s genius.

Ratatatatatata

A torrent of bullets flew at a poor wyvern. With a terrifying scream it started falling and fell onto the ground. Red leader immediately sent this information. Now he will wait for the Blue flight.

The Blue flight has another first task, they should provoke a monster and engage it in a dogfight.


After several dogfights, I found out that the wyverns possess somewhat soft scales, which are incapable of blocking even my weakened rifle rounds.

The next finding I had is that the wyverns can hover, and even fly backwards almost immediately.

Back in the WWII, there was a tactic of attacking from above, and immediately retreating back up. Naturally, with the enemy that can turn on a spot this tactic is preferable for a dogfight.

The next step was testing.


Immediately, the Red flight received a new order.

A biplane proceeded with searching for a test candidate, and when one was found, the biplane climbed.

"Red 2, be ready to cover my back."

"Solid copy. Just leave some for me, boss."

The unsuspecting target slowly glided above the mountains, sure of its invulnerability.

When the biplane reached a good spot to attack, the plane did a half-roll, and dived.

Ratatatatata

The wyverns was just wounded, and the biplane quickly pitched up, escaping from the enraged beast.

"Red 2, it's all yours~!"

"Thanks~!"


[The wyverns are slow to accelerate but maneuverable. Their climb rate is as slow as their acceleration. I guess that I can just let my guys handle the wyverns.]

After I was done with a few more tests, I ordered the fighters to start free hunt. Each of 4 pairs will just engage by themselves.

The slaughter began.

Eventually, I had to turn off the notification alarm, as the reward messages became so frequent that I was irritated by that 'ding' sound.

The only thing that was interrupting the imminent slaughter was the inevitable R&R (Refuel and Rearm). Every few hours I was resupplying my fighters, only to send them off into a new fight.

While the boys were doing their magic, we (Me, Elina and Albert) were chatting, eating and playing cards.

They don’t know that soon I will give them a map, and send them to collect my bountiful harvest of wyverns. Poor porters. PP?

Only when the sun set I recalled my aircraft.

The next few days turned the PP's lifes into a hell.

As soon as bags of loot fell near me, they would disappear.

Finally, after the last beg fell and the last curse was said, I checked the rewards.

'Ding'

You received 5 gold coins, 130 silver coins, 41 upgrade points, 1 weapon point, 1 skill point, 1 group of B2M torpedo bombers (Changes all other TB), 1 group of A2N fighters (Changes all other F), 1 Steam catapult (Common), 3.9’’/65 Type 98 (Main Gun)

IJN Fuji – CV. Level 1/7. (Upgrade cap 40)

FP – 10

AA – 10

AV – 20

RD – 36

AC – 40

  Aircraft groups  
Fighters - A2N Torpedo bombers - B2M Dive bombers
Installed - 3 of 8 B2M - Installed - 8 of 16 Uninstalled - 0 of 6
Main Gun 3.9''/65 Type 98
Secondary Guns 4 Type 99 Rifle (4 Max)
Anti-aircraft Guns 3 Type 99 Rifle (8 Max)
Flight deck Ready
Arresting wires Installed - Rare
Steam catapults

1 - Installed (Epic - Grade 2)

2 - Installed (Common)

3 - Installed (Common)

4 - Uninstalled

Rapid deployment. Lvl 2. Tenacity and bravery. Lvl 1. Brave new world. Lvl 3.
Starts battle with 10% aircraft in air. Every 30s shows your pathetic firepower: 5% bonus to FP and AA. On activation: launches special airstrike of A4N, B3Y and D1A. Can be activated every 1 hour.

 

18