V1 Rewrite. Ch 21. A crow in the foe’s nest
367 3 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When I returned to Elina and Albert, I made sure to slightly correct the route we'll take. A large detour was not exactly in my previous plans but now that I found out that I am being targeted, my enemy should expect me to show no mercy to the 'Rogues'.

I had more than enough time to prepare the torpedo bombers, in case I would want to just flatten the entire mansion.

However, the time it took us to walk, and the surging desire to check out what kinds of 'artifacts' are there, resulted in me changing the plan and sending the bombers back to the hangar.

When I finally discovered the mansion, I found a large stone building with a large garden area, secluded deep in the forest. A small paradise in the middle of nowhere.

The aerial recon showed that there were less servants than one would expect from a remote mansion hell-knows-where. I suspected that the duke was already away, and thus it made no sense to bomb this place.

The patrols were lax, the mansion appeared to be half-empty, and during the night most of the windows were not lit. In other words, a perfect opportunity to strike.


One night, I sneaked away from the adventurers, and approached the mansion.

It was soo poorly guarded, that I could walk through the front gate, and nobody would stop me. But then again, why would I need to attract any attention?

I needed another way to get inside, preferably unnoticed. Then, I remembered about the kitsune magic. Even if my fireballs were a bit larger than a chicken egg, I might have other magic.

After some long time I managed to create a simple illusion on me. It was nowhere near the invisibility I'd desire, but becoming pitch-black was still better than nothing. If anyone comes close, they'd wet their pants and faint, or so I hope.

When I tightened all of my clothes, so they won't hinder me, I approached the outer fence of the mansion. My ninja-styled jump was not elegant but I landed silently, that is much more important. I created the illusion around me and headed towards the building.

I quickly crossed the entire garden, and entered.

I easily avoided any detection due to my sharp senses and fluffy ears. Mostly because the guards were either drinking, drunk, or sleeping.

[The duke did his best to hire the elite, so he shouldn't blame me for stealing something because of their negligence.]


I decided to pray to the gods of luck. Then I threw a stick, and it showed me de wey. Lucky me, I found a room that appears to be the duke’s treasury within 3 minutes after infiltration.

Even though I was glad I speedrunned towards the goal, it didn't cancel the need to open the treasury.

[I was a murderer, an imposter, a scumbag, and now I am about to open another exciting new side of me, a thief.]

Since I didn't know how to lockpick, I used an ol' trusty way.

BANG

A solid piece of metal picks a lock faster than anything.

I only did this because I had a nice idea beforehand. I created a vacuum around the barrel by using the foxfires. The actual sound of my gunfire was somewhat suppressed and mostly consists of vibration and recoil. Metal clanging might not be the normal sound of this mansion but SOMEHOW I got away with that.

I assure you, it is not an arbitrary explanation of the fact that the staff did not come to check what the hell exploded here.

Anyway, I got into the treasury and with a bit of foxfire light I saw what is inside.

If I could see my eyes right now, I'd see two huge dollar signs reflected in the dim light.

However, my triumph did not last long.

[Just how am I supposed to take everything here...? I can carry the entire mass of this storage, but how? There are no bags that can handle it all, and if I store it in many bags, I'd have no way to grab them all.]

To my greatest regret I couldn’t take everything I see here so I had to choose wisely on what to fit into my limited bagspace. Because of my genius tactics I avoided any detection, and have A LOT of time to choose my shiny beautiful things.

In this wonderland I found gilded swords, an armor made of unknown black metal, a CROWN which I immediately put on my head, a necklace with a huge brilliant, which I immediately put into my bag, another necklace, and a few rings…

I thought that I already looted this place enough after I felt that the bag is about to tear. But then I found a pretty pair of earrings… A few minutes later the bag did tear and all the precious shiny things fell on the floor with a loud noise. Nobody came to check what happened. I left the treasury to search for another bag, a couple of them.

I returned soon, and like a crow continued my assault on everything shiny. Only after I heard another sound of a bag tearing I managed to calm myself down. With this much jewelry I can buy any upgrades I want.

[Wait a minute…]

I opened the ‘Details’ screen and placed a ring near it. The ring was consumed and my balance showed 3 more gold coins…

I picked myself the best and prettiest jewelry, and of course my crown. Everything else, including that armor, was sold. My balance was looking like a national tax collection report.

Ding

The heist was successful, you received 2 death warrants, 40 platinum coins, 999 gold coins, 1 level point, 1 group of D1A dive bombers, 1 skill point

[I did not even exit the building yet… and I am not guilty of anything, I was not even close to this mansion! I know nothing about it!]

With an almost empty bag of almost 3 kg of jewelry I decided to wander around the mansion in case I can find more shiny stuff. Just like that I found the duke’s bedroom, where I believed must be stored something of value.

I found nothing of value, and was about to leave, when I felt like I saw something move on the bed table.

There I found a big jar, covered with clothes. Immediately after I removed the covering, I saw 4 flying lights inside: white, green, blue and red. When I touched the jar the lights approached the place, when I moved the finger, they followed it, as if trying their best to stick to it.

It was quite curious, and I decided to take the jar with me.

I sneaked out of the mansion with all my loot, jumped over the fence and disappeared in the forest. All was done perfectly by the book. I was nowhere near being noticed even once.

20