V4. Ch 21. Friendship is magic
45 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next morning we headed towards the place where I saw lights.

When we arrived, I saw an empty camp, abandoned an hour ago.

Aside from a fire pit, there were several logs and stumps. This place was a frequent stop, and I could tell it with just a glance because of my long experience of examining such camps.

However, the most important feature here were tracks of carriages, leading from the road to the camp, and back to the road.

“Let’s hurry, we might catch up with the caravan!” I beckoned everyone to follow.


An hour of fast walking later, I saw a carriage far ahead. As we approached, I started noticing people around it. The caravan guards appeared to notice us too, and some of them started waving us. I waved back, bounced, and did other weird stunts to show that we are not a threat. All of us, except for the kitsune and the other battleship.

The caravan didn’t stop for us to catch up, but we were slowly shortening the distance. Neither we nor the guards shouted, to avoid unnecessary attention we were using body language. It all was going well, until I saw how the guards became agitated, and then hurried ahead.

Bretagne! Elina, keep an eye on those two, we’ll handle it!”

We ran towards the caravan. When we arrived, I saw the guards ahead of the caravan fighting large wolves.

Who are you, people?!” One of them, an adventurer with a bow looked at us.

“We’re friendlies. Make way!” I ran past him, and charged to the frontlines. The surprised guards stepped away startled, but as soon as they saw how much armor we had, they started shouting.

Run, you idiots! The dire wolves are stronger than D-ranks!” A man tried pulling Bretagne back, but he didn’t succeed.

Both of us ended up ahead of the group, making the wolves instinctively fall back. Before the beasts turned to charge at us, I shouted: “Open fire! Everything below 100 millimeters!”.

Bu-bu-bu-bu-bum

Tra-ta-ta-ta Bang Bu-bu-bum

Bang Bang Bu-bu-bum Tra-ta-ta

The wolves were washed away by the wave of lead. The road ahead was shredded by exploding shells, oerlikon bullets, and the shrapnel.

Bang Tra-ta-ta-ta Bu-bu-bum

Tra-ta…

When the gun gale ended, for as far as we could see there were not even traces of those wolves.

I stretched out my arm to the side, showing Bretagne the palm.

Clap

She clapped it with her palm.

“Nice job, Darling.”

+1 Bond


When we two were done savoring the gunpowder smell and the devastation we caused, we turned around to look at the guards.

All of them appeared to have backed away, not daring to approach us anymore.

“You are…” Before I could say ‘welcome’, Bretagne shouted at them.

You pests, sœur helped you, and this is your gratitu…?!” (B)

SMACK

“Please. Do not mind her.

-1 Bond

Let us forget those few seconds. So, people, is everybody ok? Anybody wounded?” A few hands were raised.

Kasumi!” I called the slowly approaching girls.

While the miko was healing the wounded, I talked to the chief caravaneer.

“Thank you so much! If not for you, I can’t imagine how many would’ve been wounded!” An old man excitedly shook my hand.

“You’re welcome. Who would’ve abandoned people in need.”

M-many would, actually…” He looked away, chuckling sadly.

“Where are you heading? To a city?

“A strange question, young lady. Of course we are not heading to nowhere. There is a large city not far away from here. We were going to reach it today, and thanks to you, we might make it before the gates are closed.” (C)

“I am glad to hear that. Would you mind us tagging along?

“Mind? Me? Lady, I am surprised you didn’t ask for payment for tagging along! Such power, and to think I am going to have it, even if for just a few hours…!” The elder shook my hand again.

He-he… Well, I… As for payment…” The man attentively listened, keeping the same sincere smile.

“Can you let my friends ride in the carriages? Me and my sister happen to be robust, but the others…”

“Oh, lady, I would not mind it if you even asked to feed and entertain them on the way! The last two carriages are not filled to the brim, so there is some space to sit. My apologies for not having better seating.” (C)

After the caravan made it past the devastated road (with my and Bretagne’s help), we headed straight to the city.


We arrived there by the dusk. And thanks to the caravaneer’s assurance, we were let in without any issues. He even was so kind to deliver us to a good inn and pay for our stay for two days.

As we parted ways, the caravaneer said: “If you need any help, tell me. I am not the last person in this city.”.

“Thanks. Though I wonder what you may do, if we encounter something requiring brute force.

“Ha-ha! Brute force approach? Fret not, lady! I know one person. A brilliant lad, not only he is strong like a dragon, he also has kind heart! Tell me, and I shall ask him to come to your aid!” (C)

“You too, Uncle. Should any need arise, tell us.”

With this wonderful encounter began our life in the human city.

0