V17 – Chapter 208
147 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"The Pro-Peace Imperial Senators had a public hearing with the Uros Committee as Congress, and the White House got a better idea who these rebel leaders are. The hearing lasted for about ninety-seven minutes out of three hours. 

The Rebel Imperial Senators went into detail on how the Imperial System worked and why so many Independent Kingdoms are siding with the Empire and the League. They explained how certain regions got economic benefits for pleading loyalty to the Empire while other Kingdoms require alliances with the Empire as it guarantees trade protections. An Earth example is the British Empire Naval power in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries or the US protecting the sea lanes today. This allowed many kingdoms and regions to maintain strong influence and status throughout the Empire - which if the Empire fell everything that have gained would be lost. 

The conversation then went into who regions and Kingdoms NATO could pouch to help undermine the League. This caused some tension between the two groups as the Imperial Rebels did not enjoy being part of a conversation about slicing up their homeland. On the other hand, the Senate was trying to decide how much support they should give to these rebels, which would significantly impact Princess Pina’s Revolution against the Empire.

 

Senator Alexander Saunders of Pennsylvania blew up on the Imperial Senators when the Empire attacked the city of Philadelphia. He stated that these rebels should be placed under arrest for war crimes and sent to the Mansfield Military Prison Camp in Ohio, a facility nicknamed Guantanamo Bay 2.0. Outside of the attack, he expressed anger at how little these rebel leaders have helped find the remaining prisoners taken from the attack. He even brought up the recent rescue operation from the Haryo Tribe facility, where Americans were treated like lab rats and that the majority of them will need a lifelong recovery. To many surprise, Alexander used Pina to show that she has done more than all these Senators combined.

 

 Imperial Senator Gnaeus Dussie responded by saying that expansion is needed to grow the Empire. The legend of the Gate is well known by the nobles, scholars, and sages of Falmart, which tells that many of the races came from other worlds. The deceased Emperor Molt Sol Augustus said that for the Empire to continue to be great, to maintain its honor and build a grand Empire, they must find these other worlds and expand their civilization. The reason for this is that while the Empire is the master of land warfare, developing through sea has proven problematic as the Avion Confederacy and other Naval powers on different continents provided too much resistance.

 

After a short but tense conversation on the matter, Senator Saunders proposed that the delegation should apologize for the attack, stating how both people could have mutual respect if the aggressor side does not pay in some way. Imperial Senator Dussie responded by saying that he agrees for an alliance against the Falmart League; however, he refused to apologize for the attack and loudly stated he would not apologize for the death of some peasants. The refusal to apologize by the rebel Senators and their disregard of the atrocities happened during the attacks derailed the hearing as a shouting match between US and Imperial Senators.  

 

Imperial Senator Casel El Tiberius was quick to add that not all Senators supported this move in an attempt to end the argument. However, it was in vain. The Secret Service was forced to intervene and remove Senators Dussie and Aebutus.

 

The hearing was not a complete failure. Senator Tiberius stated he and the other Senators would support Princess Piña Co Lada's new ideals about retaking the Empire and reforming it back to a Republic. He was clear that the current Imperial order no longer has a role in today's politics, helping remove any similarities between the Empire and this rebel group. In return, they will help with pulling Independent Kingdoms and Regions away from the League and towards the side of NATO – and assisting in the search for any remaining captured prisoners/slaves." – Alnus Liberty News.

 

 

***

--- Backroads to Rondel, east of Crety, Elada Forest ---

Date: June 11th, 2026

 

After saving Lelei from being infected and helping the people of Crety, Vanguard-7 is on the move again. Green Berets stayed behind at Crety to help deal with the zombie problem after Lieutenant Colonel Sharpe, and Ambassador Henson brokered a treaty. The US will provide security and remove the zombie crisis in the area, and in return, the townsfolk will share their knowledge of their medicines and potions. CBRN is being mobilized to secure Arrun Ruins for investigation and quarantine. 

 

Now, Vanguard-7 is moving east to Rondel. There was a short debate about staying in the town for another day to allow Lelei to recover; while cured, she could barely walk. The zombie events already delayed the unit by a day, so Sharpe wants to recapture time.

 

While the seriousness of this mission cannot be more stated, the current amount of conversation that the Rangers and Knights were having did not match the situation, and Sergeant Major Randy Dodson is always fascinated by how the Enlisted pass the time.

 

"All you boys are retarded," Alicia said over TEAMCOM.

 

"Bullshit, it is better for guys," Scott replied. "Everything is better for a guy."

 

"Yeah, we can pee while standing up; it cannot be that," Chapman added with a laugh. "And last time I checked, we don't need three hours to get ready for work."

 

"We just let you think that because you boys embarrass yourselves all the time," Rory said. "Besides, Alicia is right, and all of you are dead wrong."

 

"And it takes us three hours because we give a damn how we look," Tuka stated.

 

"Of course, you side with Alicia," Andrew said. "You are like her little puppy Rory."

 

"Take that back, you prick!" Rory angrily yelled.

 

"I will give Andrew that one, but remember, boys, I control the radio, so that makes me god. I can call an airstrike on you all," Alicia said.

 

"You are just saying that because you are on your period. Besides, no one ever listens to you," Andrew replied. After saying that, everyone argues for a moment.

 

Tuka laughed before speaking, "I am sorry, boys, but Alicia is right. Sex is a far better experience for a woman than it is for a man. Trust me, I know. I go both ways."

 

"Not how that term works, Tuka," Alicia corrected.

 

"No, it's not," Chapman stated. "Sex is ten times better for a guy. Everyone knows this. All of my girlfriends know this after a night with me."

 

"That is what you tell yourself to compensate for the lack of size of your toy gun," Ginebra, Pina's radio woman, said.

 

"That's cold," Scott replied. "But at least we can get an orgasm."

 

"I am going to kill you prick-," Alicia yelled.

"Hold on, sister," Rory said. "Scott, at least we can have multiple orgasms and not pass out after only one round. We're the real Rocky Balboa."

 

Then the radio exploded as the battle of the sexes continued.

Soredin leaned through the gap between Frost and Randy's seat. "As most people say, soldiers and sailors have one thing in common, their mouth."

Randy looked toward Soredin, chuckling. "Welcome to the jungle. Yeah, most civilians are clueless about how the military works. Soldiers speak like this to relieve stress and to fight boredom. We are always in extreme situations, so they talk a little extreme. Don't take anything personally; however, if anyone is bothering you, please tell me."

"It is fine," Soredin said. "I know I am a guest, so I won't push. I just find it fascinating."

"Enough!" Sofia said over TEAMCOM. "I know how to end this stupid debate once and for all and prove that sex is one hundred times better for women. Take your finger and put it in your ear. Then take it out and then tell me what has more feeling."

Randy has heard this one before. Bored soldiers come up with the craziest of games to pass the time. Sometimes he wonders if the number of energy soldiers put into these conversations could figure out world peace. But he knew that would never happen.

There is a collective silence over the radio, and then all the female soldiers pounce on the male soldiers, declaring victory. Then someone asked Sharpe what he thought on the topic.

There was a long silence before Sharpe spoke, "Last time I checked, whoever is on top wins."

The conversation switched to what kind of turtleneck sweatshirt is better, a black or a slightly darker black. Bored by the topic, Randy looked at his BFC laptop to see any updates on friendly and enemy positions. The Italians and Green Berets are behind them, the new SOCOM MQ-8 Chickasaw helicopter UAV on patrol. Unlike the Navy helicopter drone, this one is a stealth deep penetrator drone that slips past enemy lines and supports Special Forces operations. Each Chickasaw is armed with four AGM-114 Hellfire. He also noticed the red marks between them and Rondel. The red marks are the League forces, most likely Imperial and Ticaret forces.

"When is the next turn?" Frost asked.

"It is coming up on your right," Randy answered. "We are going to loop around where the river is short enough for a Chinook to drop a bridge. The Ticaret and Imperial 14th Legion are all over the place, so we are bypassing them. From there, we will determine if we stay on this highway to Rondel or take the backroads."

"I thought we had a safe path to Rondel," Frost asked. "Isn't that what Lelei said?"

"No, that only applies once we enter the city," Soredin said. "Lelei explained it to me, as long as we are outside the city, the Empire can attack us without breaking the law."

"That is why we are off-roading?" Sofia asked as she was on the Mk 47 Striker grenade launcher. "We should just take the main road and punch through. Backed by a few A-10s and AC-130s, that should do the job."

"For all we know, the League has the highway blockaded," Randy explained. "Taking the backroads, we could bypass all the enemy defenses. Because we have airpower does not mean we want to engage in every fight. I would like to not have another zombie situation for one mission."

As the convoy continued, a brown glow suddenly appeared under the front Joint Light Tactical Vehicle before falling into a deep sinkhole. The only thing left Randy can see is the rear of the vehicle.

"Stop!" Randy ordered.

"What the fuck was that?" Frost asked.

Soredin leaned forward. "It was a Rune Trap. I never thought I would ever see one in real-life. I read in books that ancient mages used these during Earth's Dark Ages. It looks like this one created a sinkhole. Amazing.”

An arrow hit the nearby JLTV, exploding with a purple sparkle, leaving a small mark on the side.

"Get out and take cover!" Sharpe ordered.

Everyone jumped out of the JLTVs, landing into the right-side ditch of the road. On the other hand, Randy made sure Soredin got out of the JLTV and down the ditch. In the background, a Javelin hits the dirt next to a JLTV with a few arrows following behind it. In return, the M2 Browning on the Stryker returned fire.

"Vanguard-7, the Stryker thermals cannot pick up the enemy battery; however, I see a couple of heat spots all scattered," The Stryker turret operator Private Second-Class Atsushi said. "There's no second shot coming, so it must be a single shot Ballista, not a repeater."

Once on the ground, Randy looked around to see the situation. He ordered some of the Rangers to watch the flank. He also noticed Sharpe ordering Soredin to cast a wind spell for dispersing the arrow volley, since Lelei is still out of commission. While Rory is protecting Selina as she waits for directions.

“Randy!” Sharpe called. “Status report?”

"Chapman, Jerry, and Andrew are down," Randy reported. As he informs Sharpe of the situation, another explosive bolt hits nearby while a Javelin strike hits a JLTV door, punching through it. He noticed that Soredin is impressed by the enchanted bolt, wondering how this world's mages can do this.

"Sergeant Major!"

Hearing his rank, Randy looked. That is when he noticed Sofia by the hood of their JLTV. She is looking through her binoculars, ignoring the enemy arrow fire. "Goddammit, Sofia. Get the fuck down here!"

"But Sergeant, I think I see where that fire is coming from," Sofia said.

Hearing that, Randy got up and rushed to Sofia. "Frost, get on the Mark 47." He then grabbed Sofia by the vest and dragged her behind the JLTV hood for protection.

"Right there," Sofia pointed as she was dragged. "I saw something move, and I think they are firing near that rock."

While Randy does not see what Sofia saw, he decided to go with it. “Stryker, do you see Sofia’s Camera?”

"Roger that," Atsushi said. "They must be hiding behind some thermal-proof blanket. Laying suppressive fire."

As the Stryker and Frost lay down suppressive fire, Randy asked for Ginebra as she was the closest. Right now, he is happy to have NW, allowing him to see what his soldiers see.

Ginebra rushed over with Knight Panache and Owen. Panache placed her shield on the hood for protection as Ginebra called in an airstrike. As the conversation began, another enchanted bolt landed on the Stryker and exploded, leaving a scar on top but armor intact. 

 

“Copy that Rose Knight-Lead,” Green said. “SOCOM is conducting S&D missions in the area, patching them for an airstrike. BFT showed two MQ-8 Chickasaw on the search and destroyed missions. They are redirecting to you now.”

“Roger that Vanguard-Actual,” Ginebra said.

As Randy listened to the radio conversation, he watched the suppressive fire from their vehicles. About a dozen swordsmen in leather armor appeared out of tree and boulder cover, showing signs they belong to the Ticaret. The Stryker .50 caliber and grenade launcher quickly took out the charging force, leaving seven soldiers dead.

The next thing Randy noticed was two Hellfire explosions. Looking up, he saw in the distance the two drones hovering. To his surprise, he cannot hear them, putting the term stealth to use. He wondered if they were using an experimental electric engine or sound suppression device for the silence. 

“Rose Knight-Lead, SOCOM said the enemy battery had been destroyed,” Green said. “Based on the feed, they were using some kind of illusion magic to hide their battery.”

The Rangers stood, celebrating the airstrike.

Sharpe ran over as he ordered everyone to man the heavy weapons and secure the area. “What do you think, Randy?”

“I think this is it, sir, just a small ambush,” Randy said. “I don’t expect a major assault, but I do expect a few stragglers.”

“I agree,” Sharpe said. “But let’s not wait to find out.” He then looked at the JLTV that was in the sinkhole. “Frost, get the cable and hook up the Stryker. Rory, get down there. Soredin, try lifting it out. Everyone else, provide cover fire and load up.”

Getting an agreement from Randy - Sharpe looked at Sofia and patted her on the shoulder. “Good eyes Ranger. Keep it up.” He then rushed away to organize the situation.

Sofia blinked. “Did he just compliment me?”

“Of course,” Randy said. “Just remember that, Sofia. If you do your job, he won’t care about many past deeds or mistakes a soldier makes.” He knows what happened, and besides grilling her, Sharpe is trying to keep a door open for her to come back to the team and join.

As the Stryker rolled up, the cable was connected to the rear of the JLTV. Rory jumps into the sinkhole and begins lifting it. Then Soredin used her telekinetic magic to help lift the vehicle as the Stryker pulled.

Once the situation was resolved, Randy walked over to the passenger side door. “Are you two alright?”

“Yes Sarge, just a little shaken,” Andrew said.

“Can you guys still drive?”

Andrew hesitated for a moment before answering. “We’re good.”

With a nod, Randy walked over to his vehicle.

 

***

--- White House, Washington D.C, United States,  ---

Date: June 11, 2021

 

After watching the three-hour Senate hearing, President Emily Potts has had some private meetings with some rebels. The main reason is to figure out who she can trust and should support. As she hoped, a replacement government is finally emerging – now her question is, are they worth anything, or do they have to find another group of potential leaders?

"I am surprised that your friend Casel fit so well in the hearings," Vice President Christopher Gardner said. "I thought Saunders was going to rip your guy's heads off at one moment."

"I don't understand why they couldn't offer an apology," Potts asked. "They must understand you are getting off very easily. You people started this war and slaughtered thousands and caused billions of dollars in property damage. If we install you into power, you should at least tell the world that you're sorry for starting the war. If it was not for Pina and that we need a replacement government, I wouldn't hesitate to toss you all into prison." 

“Hell, just say you were sorry and that Molt or whoever tricked you,” Gardner added. “Standard politics, blame the last guy for everything. Public opinions on the hearing are worse compared to when Soredin pulled off her sudden appearance stunt.” 

"That wouldn't work," Sherry Tyueli said after drinking her chocolate milk. "Most of the senators have never publicly apologized for anything in their life. Many of them have been in the Senate for most of their lives. Some like Dussie would prefer to die before showing weakness by apologizing." She took another drink, "By the way, this drink is amazing. I also find it strange that an overwhelmingly advanced civilization like you shun your own Verona ages and magic. A powerful mage like the Grand High Witch Verona Soredin will be celebrated back in Sadera and Rondel”

“For the issues with magic, that is quite complicated,” Gardner said. “ Combined with the fact that we only found out about them three months ago.”

Potts held up her hand. “We can talk about that on a later day.”

Kaeso Id Tyueli nodded. "Sherry is correct about the Senators .You must understand it is not our way. We have been on the top for so long that even if they made a mistake, they couldn't say it publicly. My friend Casel and I are different as we have our own values and principles. It just happened that Pina is now in our camp. Many of the Senators you rescued are here by force, not because they have embraced your ways."

"Also, most of these people have lost everything," Kaeso added as he rubbed his daughter's shoulder. "They used to be powerful men from powerful families, but now they have nothing. A public apology like that would never happen as it is the ultimate humiliation for them. If this was in private, they might be more willing to accept the faults of what happened."

"Alexander is under a lot of pressure by her voters," Potts said. "There are still a lot of mixed feelings in his State, especially in Philadelphia. The issue is, a private apology would never be acceptable for the American people."

While the damage of Philadelphia was more superficial than structural destruction, the damage was still done. 

Then there was the Gate issue. The military had to occupy a six-block radius around the Gate, removing or buying outbuildings to form a defensive position. Now, with the threat of a second invasion reduced, most of that occupied radius has been turned into a trade market from Alnus. While the economic investment helped the city recover, the emotion is still there. That is why Potts has gone to great lengths to shift that anger towards Zorzal and his faction rather than their native allies.

"I understand what you mean, Madam President," Kaeso said. "I don't know how to heal the divide right now. I think my comrades assumed they were going to get the same treatment as Princess Pina when she had her hearings(2)."

"The Senate pushed for this round of hearings, so they are outside my control," Potts said. "This is just going to be needed. Otherwise, we might win this war but risk future wars." 

"Speaking of Pina, last time I spoke with the Princess, she spoke highly of you, Kaeso. I know you were working with the CIA like Prince Diabo as an informant. I know your friend Casel wants to reform the Empire, but what do you think of that?"

To Pott's shock, Kaeso remained silent. He then asked one of the Secret Service agents to take his daughter outside. After she approved and watched as Sherry left the room in confusion, she looked back at him, expecting a more profound answer than she expected.

"Madam President, I was wondering how I was going to bring this up?" Kaeso said. "Unlike my good friend, I have lost all interest in Imperial politics."

Hearing that took Potts off guard. She expected a request to be in the inner circle, support a powerful position in Pina's new government or something. But, instead, this conversation has already gone down an unexpected path.

"Are you thinking about retiring?" Gardner asked.

"Or is it that you don't believe Pina could do it?" Potts added. "Or do you think we should erase the Empire for what they did to your wife and daughter? Is that why you had her leave?"

"I mean what I said," Kaeso said, frustrated that he is reliving what happened to his family. "I am done with the Empire. My entire life, I faithfully served them. My clan has been around since the Empire was just a City-State. What did that result in? My wife and daughter were taken from me, stripped and molested, and used as bait because the emperor wanted revenge for being humiliated. I was forced to betray my friends and principles to support Zorzal for his war and wedding. The only reason why his marriage with Famulis didn't spark a civil war was because of my name."

Taking a deep breath and then a quick drink of water, Kaeso continued, "My wife was killed by one of your soldiers. Sharpe, they called him. I don't blame him as I sent him down there to save my family when I should have been there myself, but I knew I was too weak and powerless. I was a powerful Imperial Senator from a good family line, but my wife was still murdered in the most humiliating way. So, I am done with the Empire. I have faith that Pina, Daibo, and Casel will reform the Empire into something respectable, but I just cannot be part of it."

Potts must admit what he said touched her. She remembers a conversation with her husband once when she was deployed to the Middle East and how powerless he felt when she was in danger. She understands the deep desire to protect his family, and when they failed to do so, it destroyed them. "Then what are your plans?"

"I know you people are annexing the region around Alnus," Kaeso said.

 

"We are," Gardner said. "We already annexed Alnus with Pina's treaty last year. Myui has been leading an effort to unite the City-States in the region into one territory for annexation."

"You do not have to speak like that, Mister Vice President," Kaeso boldly said. "I know you planted the seeds long ago for Myui and others to unite the region for annexation. You just laid those seeds, so they thought they came up with the idea. I have no issue with your plans and wish to assist. I request that you grant me and my daughter asylum."

That request took Potts and Gardner off guard. Both look at each other as they process the request. "You understand what asylum means, correct?" Potts asked.

"I want to become a citizen of your country, and in return, I will help you organize and create the government of this Alcatris territory," Kaeso said. "I know you have local senators within these States. I would like to be one of these State Senators for Alnus. If you grant this, I promise I can create a functional government."

"I don't think that is needed, sir," Gardner said. "We cannot just appoint Senators when we feel like it. Besides, Countess Myui and Count Gallus have been doing a great job in organizing this territory."

"I meant no disrespect to either of them," Kaeso said. "Countess Myui has surprised us all; however, she is still only fourteen years old. And Gallus, while he has done well in managing Valtris, is a follower, not a leader. And I know you know the difference between managing a City-State and a vast territory. Interconnecting all these City-States, their economies, managing common law between them, organizing defense and policy, etc. We both know this is far more complicated than managing a city. Unfortunately, neither of them has the experience to successfully do this."

Potts must admit, Kaeso made a great point. Normally, she never would rely so heavily on children, regardless of whether or not Myui was considered an adult by their standards. Instead, she has been dealing with Myui because she had no choice because of a lack of options. "Interesting point of view, but that is why General Stanford is also the Military-Governor of the region."

"Which was a smart move, Madam President," Kaeso said. "Your people have come a long way since your first arrival in understanding my world, but you are still newcomers—your one year of experience versus thousands of years of experience in dealing with a multi-racial civilization. Right now, everyone is living happily in peace as you all are working towards a common goal and because of your military might. No one wants to be on the wrong side of your war machines; however, that novelty will not last forever. Old rivalries will reappear."

"I know your people do not like the Imperial racial hierarchy, and I admit it probably resulted in more hatred, but there was a reason why it was installed in the first place. I am not saying you should install one, but my point is, you have no experience in handling this. You need people who understand this world. Otherwise, your ways will fall on deaf ears. I am not seeking power; I am not to become King or anything. I no longer have loyalty to the Empire and being here is the safest for my daughter. Politics is all I know, so I am offering to use my skill set to help you succeed."

Potts is amused by how honest Kaeso is right now. In politics, this type of honesty usually results in getting backstabbed or voted out of office. But everything he said made sense, and she can relate. Having someone like Kaeso helping would only increase the success in installing American values into the region. For example, implementing the trade treaties, speeding up the abolishment of slavery, and prevent future issues like race rivalries – which NATO has no historical context knowledge of.

"Won't your fellow Senators get angry at you?" Gardner asked. "I cannot believe they will be happy about this."

"Casel already knows," Kaeso said. "The rest, I don't care about their opinions. They were not there when I needed them. Reforming the Empire needs people who are motivated and for the young."

"Senator, I accept," Potts said. "You will be the official Senator of Alnus, and you will work to integrate our agenda into the region. I will talk with General Stanford and Senate Majority Leader Evans about making it official."

"Thank you, Madam President."

 

 

***

--- Greater Elies Region, Yamen Forest ---

 

The Chinook shook as it flew through the rain. This Chinook along with another one are part of a UK-Australia joint assault on the suspected headquarters of League forces in Elies. Their target? Legatus Fabius Aulus himself.

After the Fall of Legrath, Fabius was able to reorganize the Imperial Army in Elies. Besides following General Krysist and Legatus Muilk’s footsteps indirectly fighting NATO, Fabius has refused to fight. He has used the Agaront Stream as his shield and is sponsoring insurgents throughout Elies to keep NATO spread out. He has spread out his army and continued moving them around so once they are spotted, they already relocated when a strike happened. Compared to the rest of the Imperial Army where they look for opportunities for a direct engagement, Fabius has refused to fight.

On the other Chinook is Captain Ryder Watson Australia 1st Commandos are in the other Chinook, Captain Albert looked at his SAS team as they prepared to drop.

While everyone is getting into the correct state of mind Albert noticed their Warrior Bunny teammate. She is sitting there, holding onto the seat terrified.

“Aleisold, this is your seventh time in a helicopter, you should be used to it by now,” Albert said.

“If Bunnies were meant to fly, we would have wings,” Aleisold said. “Unlike Humans, our senses are more sensitive. Right now, they are completely wrecked.”

Hearing some of the men chuckle, Albert just smirked. “Don’t worry. Sooner or later, you will adapt. All that matters is when we get in combat you got our six.”

Aleisold, an orange-haired Bunny who once was a slave before Albert’s unit freed her. She had the option to join Tyuule’s Blitzing Death assassins however she rejected it and asked to join his SAS unit. Seeing the success Sharpe’s Rifles had his leadership agreed to integrate her to see how it would work.

Hearing a loud sonic boom Albert looked out the small circular window on the Chinook. Two US Air Force B1B-Lancer bombers fly past them. The next thing he heard was large explosions as the landing zone was a strike.  

"That was fucking cool; why do the Americans get the badass shit," Corporal Adrian asked, amazed by the bombers.

Hearing the pilot warning that they are about to land, Albert got everyone ready. Once they land and the ramp drops, a dozen SAS rush out.

The first thing Albert saw were flames, the blackened ground, and destroyed buildings. All the major enemy defensive positions were destroyed, and Imperial soldiers rushed to reorganize themselves. His SAS formed up as they engaged the enemy.

"Albert, we are engaging now," Ryder said.

"Roger that." Albert watched through his FIST; he watched as the Australians stormed one of the enemy Command Post through their Land 125, both being their respected countries' version of NETT Warrior. Their mission is to capture that Post and find anything of value. "Leave a team outside; I will do the same. I don't want any surprises to flank us."

He heard Aleisold point to a group of swordsmen getting into three formations of six and archers jumping into foxholes and trenches. Looking past them, Albert noticed what remained was a catapult position that was covered by trees. The airstrike did a great job in destroying this artillery. Otherwise, he would be worried.

"Aleisold, get behind me; I will want you on point once we get inside," Albert said. "I want two to engage each formation. Get the rocket launcher and take out that trench."

The SAS use their C8SFW rifles. The 5.56mm easily shredded through the Imperial armor. Sergeant Filip Walsh fired the disposable L2A1 ASM rocket launcher and blew up the archers in the trench. They see that the area is the SAS reform and advance towards the target building.

As they approach a large Roman Villa, Albert sees why it has been hard to find these Imperial forts. While not perfect, many of the remaining buildings look more civilian than a military installation. However, there are still defensive structures, weapon platforms, and more.

The two guards at the main Command Post are easily gunned down. The unit splits into two teams, one staying outside to take care of the remaining Imperials and the rest forming up to storm the Post.

Aleisold rushed in with her shield and sword as the door was blown, jolting deep inside the building with incredible speed. Then the sound of battle and screaming is heard inside.

Corporal Julian Barrett looked down the hall. "Damn, Captain. She scares me."

Before Albert replied, he heard an Imperial scream for his life before everything went quiet. "Just don't piss her off or stay away during that one week of the month, and you will be safe. You are lucky that you are not married to one of her kind. I heard that Captain Bailey of Vanguard-5 is being dominated by his bunny wife most of the time. Alright, go!"

Once the SAS stormed the building, all they saw were five Imperial soldiers lying dead. Two of them with their heads cut off, while another looked like he was executed rather than killed in battle. In the administration office, Albert saw Aleisold standing there breathing heavily – blood dripping from her sword.

Annoyed, Albert marched over and grabbed Aleisold by her armor and pulled her close. "Never do that again. We are a team, we function like one, or you are off the team. We had an agreement."

"These bastards killed my daughters," Aleisold said. "They all belong with Silfis."

"I agree with you but get revenge by completing the mission and by winning the war," Albert replied. "Going half cock won't result in anything. Now go and take points."

Special Forces have employed the new close-quarters tactical throughout NATO. Have a swordsman take a point shield at the ready. Any attack by the enemy is blocked by the Knight either by the sword or shield protecting the riflemen behind him. In return, this gives the riflemen protection to pick off the enemy. Moving together forces the entrenched enemy to flee or get overturned. The tactic proved to be a huge success during the Second Sadera Raid(1) with the Rangers and Rose Knights.

As the team makes their way below, they see a thick wooden door. Two guards stand there, at the ready. Based on the simplicity of their armor, they are from the Knights of Talos, the Empire's elite warriors.

Aiming his C8SFW rifle, Albert fired. Both Knights step back from the impact, but neither fall, only a dent in the chest plate. "What the fuck? Oh shit, pull back."

The two Talos Knights charge at them as the SAS pull back to a better position, only causing dents in the armor. Aleisold slips through and blocks one Knight's attack with her blade. Unfortunately, this opened herself up to the other Knight.

Seeing this, Albert jumped onto the other Knight back as Aleisold duels with the other. Then, being shaken, he dropped his rifle and pulled out his knife. The Knight rammed Albert into the wall, though, forcing him to let go.

Looking up, the Knight turned around and raised his sword. Albert quickly grabbed the arm, leaned in, and sliced his knife through the gap between the chest plate and the face-covered helmet. The Knight dropped his sword, holding his neck as he fell over dead.

Seeing Aleisold fight the other Knight. Albert prepared to join in. While she is stronger than the average man, she is still new as a swordswoman due to the fact that her people were more assassins and guerilla fighters than regular soldiers, combined with four years in enslavement has dulled her fighting skill, a fact this Knight is taking advantage of. Then he noticed Staff Sergeant Calvin Reid loading his L74A2 shotgun with slug shells.

"Aleisold!" Albert yelled as he tackled her against the wall.

The next moment a loud sound from the shotgun is heard. Looking over, Albert saw the Knight lying on the ground with a large crack on his chest plate. "That was close." He then looked at Aleisold and saw her blushing there. "What is wrong? Oh!" He then stepped back.

Reid and Barrett walk by laughing, making bedroom jokes. The jokes stopped as the Knight grabbed Barrett's leg and groin.

"How did it survive that?" Reid asked, shocked.

Aleisold rushed over and slid her sword into the Knight's neck through the gap. Soon enough, the Knight died after begging for his life. She stands there panting.

Albert talked over and placed his hand on her shoulder, looking down at the dead Knight. "So, this is what Zorzal was wearing. No wonder why Sharpe didn't kill the bastard. It stopped a slug."

"Barely, sir," Reid said. "It did crack the armor and knock the dude lights out for a minute. I bet with a bit more kinetic energy; it would have killed him." 

"We will take both sets of armor with us," Albert said. "Walsh, Adrian, secure the armor. Then, everyone else, break that door before Fabius escapes."

The unit forms up as the charges are set. The door joints are blown off, and the door hits the ground—everyone storms in after Aleisold and flanks out. To Albert’s surprise, no one was in the room.

At first, Albert thought they had the wrong room; however, everything that makes a command post seems to be here. “He is not here. Fuck!” He yelled as he kicked the desk.

As everyone gathered any information that could be valuable, Aleisold walked over with a note in her hand. “Albert, I found this. I don’t know what it says.” She said, embarrassed.

As a tribal woman and then a slave, Albert knew that she did not know how to read. As part of the agreement to join the team, she had to join the Alnus adult literacy program. “No issues, thank you.”Taking the note, Albert began reading it.

 

“To the Other Worlder who may be reading this. Thank you for striking this place as that means you are not having the more important ones. While your technology is far superior to ours, I am thrilled to learn that they do not make you god-like. That there is still a man behind such wonders.

I know your wish is to capture me and bring a swift end to this war; however, that shall not be this day. The game is not over, and just like you, I have a duty to serve my country and the men under my command. You may tell your superiors that while Legrath might have fallen, its spirit is still alive. As long as the war continues, I shall maintain my duty and lead the soldiers under my command. However, I will not fight this war under your rules and shall continue to do as I please.

In the meantime, brave warriors, my wife has made some lovely tea for you over in the corner. It might be warmed; however, everything you need is there. I recommend having some, as in war, small luxuries are a scarcity to come by. As one warrior to another, good day.” - Legatus Fabius Aulus.

 

 

On the bottom right of the letter, Albert noticed a heart drawn on it, probably from his wife. Lowering the letter, he stood there confused. "The more I understand this planet, the less I understand it. I don't understand how that is possible." Looking over, he does see that pot the letter was talking about.

"Let's get out of here," Albert said.

"What about all these documents?" Reid asked.

Seeing all these maps and documents lying around his gut tells him not to trust it. Fabius was expecting them to attack here and probably left all this information to throw NATO off his trail and distract them with bad intelligence. However, the fact Fabius was here not that long ago means they are on the right trail. "Collect them as ordered, but my gut says all these are fake, though there might be some worth here. Then let's get out of here."

 

 

 

Reference:

------------------------------------------------

(1)Chapter 192

 

 

3