The Devil That Stirs Within
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Are you sure he's really here?"

"The nose never lies girl. He might have bailed on us out of nowhere but it would take a lot more than that to shake me off his trail."

"Still…I'm worried about Sensei. Something's off about him ever since Crow-San showed him that vial. Why did he rush back to school all of a sudden anyway?"

"The place is way darker that it was supposed to be at this hour too. I don't like it."

"The faster we find him the quicker we can demand answers and get out of-urgh!"

A sudden headache afflicts Aika so strongly she breaks in cold sweat, ends up on her knees and grabs her head in agony.

"Ai?!"

"Not this thing again…It never was this strong before…"

Her eyes suddenly shone green and hazy images began to replace her vision. Strange symbols also appeared within her irises.

(I can somewhat…read then?)

But before she was able to discern it. The images began to clear up and go on repeat as if they were rewinding and resuming. Suddenly even Setsuna and Fenrir voices were drowned by the loud ringing noise inside her head.

(I can see…the three of us…and something is…‼!)

"Ai! What's wron-"

"GET DOWN!!"

Once she returned to her senses and her eyesight alongside its bright blue natural color alongside it. Aika tackles Setsuna to the ground and before she was able to react and…

*CRAASSSHHH‼!!*

The walls of the gym building right next to them is broken by a large object that went through the wall.

"Dammit‼"

The object in question was Shinji holding a set of bleachers that was almost as if it was removed thrown at him with enormous force.

"*Inhales*

"….RAAAAAARRGHHH‼!"

*THUNK!*

Taking a deep breath and as if responding to his war cry. Shinji's body drags his feet against the ground to stop the momentum and throws the set of bleachers high over his head.

"Sensei!!"

Setsuna instinctively reacted, quickly got up as she ran towards him while grabbing Aika's hand. But he signals them to stop.

"Girls! I thought I told you two to go hom-Dammit! Stand back!"

Several sharp stone stakes the size of a car went flying through the hole in the wall towards him. Shinji raises his hand towards as a strange rune shone inside his palm.

"FLASH FREEZE‼"

A cold beam blasts out of his fingertips and the stones stakes turns into icicles rooted onto the floor.

At the same time as he was done casting the spell. A shadow dashes through the hole and using the frozen stakes as stepping stones. Quickly closing the distance between it and him.

(Sensei! Look ou-)

"Cragfist: Vibration‼"

"SHIT‼"

Before he is able to hear Nyamo's warning and properly guard against it. The shadow's hand shakes uncontrollably as its entire hand gets covered in stones that floated off the ground and gathered into its fist as he punches Shinji in the face and he is sent flying once again. Tearing through the bleachers behind him and colliding into the wall of the school main building more than thirty meters away.

"SENSEI‼"

Once the dust had settled. Shinji transformation came undone and he was leaning his back against the concrete wall. Nyamo was on the top of his head poking his face with her paws.

"Sensei! Are you okay nya?!"

"Yea…It's just a scratch…"

He slowly got up, swiped the dust of his work clothes and noticed his nose was bent the wrong direction.

"Be careful! The enemy disrupted our merging with earth magic!"

"Yea. I noticed…tch!"

Looking annoyed rather than hurt and clicking his tongue. Shinjirou grabs hold of his nose, pulls it back into place and snorts a glob of blood out of his nostril.

"Fen-Fen!"

"Got it!"

Fenrir merges with her master as she rushed towards her teacher with Aika in tow.

"A demon proficient with nature magic is completely unheard of! Who are you nya?!"

Now that they were able to properly look at their surroundings and see their enemy appearance. Setsuna realized his body was well toned and full of muscles in a tank top. its body was of that a normal human…except for one distinct feature. His head was one of a large dangerous animal. A rhinoceros.

"…Does it matter? You will be dead soon cat-ears. So will you. Tsunaboshi Shinjirou."

The demon glares at them with its eyes full of hostility.

"…If we are to kill each other. The least one could do is have the courtesy of reminding each other's name and faces. Your body won't be even able to be recognized as a living being once I'm done with you."

"…You sound a lot confident for someone with a broken nose."

"Yeah…I'm having a really bad day today and you almost ruined my favorite necktie too. I'm practically seething right now."

Shinji answers as he tugs on his collar and undoes his plain red and blue necktie.

"…Very well. My name is Rhinocortex. The demon who shall have you killed for your transgressions."

"Pleased to meet you…By the way you lured me here using one of my student's phone correct? What happened to him? What did you done?"

"Heh. Who knows?"

Before he makes another move. Shinji whispers in Setsuna's ear. Gently handing her his necktie.

"Setsuna. I value this tie more than my own life. Keep good care of it okay?"

"Sensei?"

"I don't have the time to lecture to you two right now. I'm going to distract him. Both of you are running away the moment there is an opening. Understood?"

"Ye-Yeah."

Setsuna was hesitant but nodded at his demand.

"You too Ai."

Perhaps it was because of her vision a moment ago. But Aika was absent minded this entire time as if she was in a trance until her uncle called her by name.

"…Wha?"

"…Promise me."

A sense of nausea, headache and Déjà vu started to afflict Aika's mind all at the same time. Alarm bells ringed inside her mind.

(This feeling…it's as if I saw this happening before…but where?)

"Aika."

Perhaps angered and agitated by her current state. She wasn't as reprehensive by her uncle's serious and stern tone like usual.

"…I'll think about it."

"…Listen to me. You really need to accept there are battles you can't win. This being one of them."

"…Will the little pipsqueaks get in the way? I'd rather not but I'm not against killing these two children too. They are also responsible for brainwashing my friend."

"Huh? Brainwashing? The hell you on about?!"

"Hey! I'm your opponent! Leave the small fry alone!"

"Who the hell are you calling small fry?!"

"No matter. I've changed my mind! My brother in arms. You will ALL pay for what you did to Mammothhead!"

"Mammoth-kun?! What do you mean 'brainwash'?! He came onto us out of his own vo-"

Rhino began to charge towards the group with arm covered in soot and grabs a huge chunk of the floor and throws it towards them.

"No time to access the situation! He isn't going to listen nothing but our fists! Kittypaws! I need your strength!"

"Ye-Yeah! MERGE!"

Shinji transforms once again, dashes foward and smashes the boulder into pieces with the swing of his wand.

"Urgh!"

He then followed the motion and stops the demon's rampage by kicking him right in the torso. Sending him high into the sky. He then jumps and chases after the airborne demon.

Shinji then throws a fast paced punch but Rhino grabs hold of his fist and grabs his face with its other hand.

"Fool! You really thought I wouldn't have the means to defend myself if I wasn't grounded?!"

A Shinji was too late to realize the devil's smirk as his palm had a rune marking glowing and it began to gradually increase in temperature exponentially.

"That engraving…OH NO! Sensei! Get away from him nya!"

"Huh?"

"EXPLOSIVE TOUCH‼!"

*BOOOM‼!*

Nyamo's warning came too late. In the span of a second a large explosion erupted. The impact caused Shinji to collide against floor and the backdraft to launch the horned demon even higher into the sky.

"Sensei!/ Pig!"

Shinji slowly gets up from the crater left behind where he landed as the smoke began to clear. Holding his slightly burned face in pain.

"Dammit!"

"There's more of where that came from‼!"

Using the high altitude to strengthen the blow. Rhino tries to land a powerful elbow drop from where he was but the teacher was able to sidestep and jabs his opponent in the solar plexus with pinpoint accuracy.

"Grah‼"

The demon groaned in pain and had a hard time to breathe momentarily but it was not enough for him to keel over.

"Not bad! Now I see why I was informed not to underestimate the likes of you!"

"Likewise. I'm having rhinoceros soup tonight!"

"Hah! I would like to see you try! I'll have your head on a spike and skin your hide!"

Rhino then picks up a pebble off the floor and gently throws above him.

"Oh Barren land! I am thou silent Messiah! Bless my enemy with your stridence! Gaia's guidance!"

Chanting those words. Rhino proceeds to punch the rock into small sharp fragments which suddenly goes flying towards Shinji. He manages to dodge to the side but the stone shards unnaturally curve towards his direction right as he did.

"What the…"

Nimbly using his body and agility. Shinji backflips to the sides over and over. The shards once again turn and chases after him every time he did. Shinji then cast a beam of cold energy on the floor in front of him, creating an ice wall which finally stopped the shards in their place.

"Sensei! Behind you!"

The demon used the dark to try and sneak behind him as he tried to stab Shinji with his sharp horn but thanks to Setsuna's warning. Shinji managed to duck under him, slid between his legs and pointed his finger at his back. Chanting so fast that it sounded like incoherent mumbling to untrained ears.

"…Freezeshock!"

"GAHH‼"

A powerful mix of icy wind and lighting are blasted throughout his fingertips and struck Rhino as he is sent reeling whilst his body is slowly being in the process of freezing leaving only his head out.

"Now's your chance! RUN‼"

"Y-Yes! Let's go A…i?"

Setsuna was about to grab Aika's hand and get away but she failed to realize Aika wasn't behind her anymore.

Instead she was running towards the enemy, who was slowly but surely breaking free from his icy prison.

"Aika! What the hell are you doing?!"

"I should be asking all of you that! I'm SICK and tired of playing the damsel in distress! I am still a magical girl and refuse to being protected by the likes of you ever again!"

As if in response to her anger. Aika wrists began emanate a fiery ring of light and she locked her wrists together in front of the frosted demon.

(This time for sure! I won't make the same mistake twice!)

"That stance…Sensei! Ai is going to…Sensei?"

"…"

A swath of flame began to coalesce into a ball in front of her. Peering upon the swaying flames. Shinji stood in place without reaction.

"Oh, Fires of creation! Hear my cry! Lend me the power to scorch my enemies! In return, they will be quelled and cast and into great damnation! Forged into your being as embers! Ignite! Hell CINDER‼‼!"

"GWAHHHH‼!"

"Gyah‼!"

She fires the condensed fireball at Rhino and a large pillar of fire enveloped the demon. The intense shockwave caused Setsuna body to be soaring by the blast but manages to sink her blade into a tree nearby and stop it.

Once the blowback had subsided. Setsuna lets go of the tree and Aika stares at the smoke at the center of the impact and then at her hands as she pumps her fists in the air.

"Yes! It finally worked! I knew I had it in me!"

"…"

Shinji was still motionless and left in a daze.

"YOU…BITCH‼‼"

A voice erupted from within the smoke trail. It was Rhino. He wasn't as hurt as he was incredibly angry.

"No way! He's still up after that?!"

"You'll pay for that‼! RUARGHH‼!"

Ignoring everything around him. Rhino roared as his left arm suddenly falls limp. Soon after, it began to extend and stretch, falling onto the floor piling itself like a hose.

(A misshapen arm…Is he 'Redhand'?!)

He then coiled the extended arm like a spring. Setsuna was quick to put her guard up.

(Does he intend to reach her with that range?)

In contrary to her expectations. Rhino then join his fingers together into a knife-like shape and stabs the ground right in front of him.

"I'll turn this wretched place into a wasteland! TEMBLOR‼"

"Kyah!!/ What the-"

Suddenly, the soil beneath them began to vibrate violently as the girls struggled to stand. Aika lost her balance and fell on her butt while Setsuna had a hard time staying up. Several windows on the school building shattered and walls cracked as the very earth began to form fissures or get misshapen. The garden that was symbol of Merry High was in now left in ruins because of it.

"I'm not done yet! UGHH…AAHHHH‼!"

Roaring louder the earthquake itself in pain as his arm returned to its original shape. Rhino's horn began shine and started to extend in length in its place. Growing larger and larger in size by the second. So much so that his head got so tall that its weight caused him to bend in a forty-five-degree angle and slams its horn against the ground. Goring the earth beneath it as if it was butter.

"Taste the burning flames of hell! Searing Cornutta!"

He then began to charge towards Aika. The friction of his horn scraping against the very ground caused to it to heat up, pulsate in an incandescent orange and creating sparks which flew everywhere.

"Hahaha…am I going to die? Is this really...it?"

Afraid for her life and hampered by the tremors. Aika grew stiff and motionless as the very visage of hell ran towards her like a train about to run over her.

"Aika!"

"SENSEI! Sensei! Wake up‼ Sensei!"

"…"

Nyamo repeatedly tried to call back Shinji into his senses but he was still rooted in place.

"YOUR NIECE IS GOING TO DIE‼! ARE YOU GOING TO JUST STAND THERE AND WATCH NYA?!"

"…Huh?"

"AIKA‼!"

Setsuna quickly rushed towards her friend and held Aika in her arms in order to shield. She knew there was not enough time to escape as the demon grew closer and closer.

"Aaah…"

Having no other choice. The two simply closed their eyes, bracing for the impact…

*THUNK!*

…waiting for an attack that never came.

After more than a minute had passed and despite the foreboding feeling begging her not to do it. Aika slowly opened once again her now green colored eyes…

"Sen..se…AAhhh…"

…the first thing she sees, is a completely pale and terrified Setsuna, who was still holding her in her arms. Her usually almost squinted eyes widened like never before. She was trying to say something but couldn't muster the willpower to do so. To say she was scared witless was an understatement.

Aika turned her head at the direction her friend is looking at…

"…Heh?"

…noticed there is a pointy sharp-looking object right between her eyes, by a few inches away from reaching either of them.

But the cause of Setsuna's shock and absolute despair did not came from that. But rather the something which stood in front of the two and withstood the attack for them.

A man who had stopped the pointy, sharp object from reaching the girls by using his chubby body as a shield…His stomach was cleanly pierced through.

Aika realized she was now experiencing something familiar yet far more concrete than what she experienced in her nightmares and visions up until this point. It was all real this time.

The demon tried to push through but no matter how force he stepped forward. Shinji didn't budge a single inch.

"Ughh..Bl-BLegh‼‼"

The constant shifting caused the long horn to rotate and twist inside his stomach. Shinji immediately spat out copious amounts of blood all over his opponent head and back.

"Sensei‼"

The wand in his wand shouted with worry. Instead answering her concerns. He feebly turned his head towards the girls behind him and coughs as he tried muster his words.

"A…re…you girls…alri….ght…?"

His voice faintly asked them, barely holding any presence.

"Aaa….ahhhh….Sen…sei…"

"So…rry for…worrying…you two…Don't…worry…this will be…over soon…"

He then took a deep breath, turned his head back towards his enemy and closed his eyes as he slowly puts his hands over the scalding horn piercing through his stomach. The high temperature revealed a strange tattoo hidden on the back of his right hand. A pair of black birds flying with a distanced gap away from each other.

"…Hey Pointy. Did your horn grow so big it didn't left space for your brain? I thought I made myself clear. I'm your opponent…"

"Wh-What the?!"

The sudden surge of strength that now grabbed holds of his horn and alongside the recovery in Shinji's voice surprised him. Rhino now couldn't neither push forward or back. Shinji then takes a glance at his surroundings. The walls were ruined, the buildings were slightly tilted thanks to the deformed terrain and several windows were now broken.

"Between this shitty day, ruining this sacred place of learning. You dared to harm not only my students but also my precious little girls and even caused one of them to cry. Forget about restraints…I'm done holding back…"

Shinji's voice grew darker and more ominous with each sentence. No one in the vicinity recognized the voice coming from him lips as his own.

(Sense-)

Before she is able to call his name. A wave of darkness washed over Nyamo. Shinji transformation came undone as the wand dematerialized and despite that. Nyamo didn't separated from him. Instead her gemstone was now etched on his chest. No longer a ruby. It was jet black jewel and a darkened red electricity crackled from it.

Shinji eyes glowed like earlier this morning. But even more brighter.

"You can mock, humiliate and even hurt me. As your opponent. I will take it all you can throw at me…."

His heartbeat was also through the roof. The cloudy skies above too suddenly turned even darker than before.

"But, unless you have a death wish. You better not target neither of these two anymore…I've been trying very hard to kept this side of me locked away for a very long time…But since you want it so much. Should I give you living proof that even demons can feel fear?"

"Wha…"

Saying this, Shinji's eyes turned black and pupils turned to a glaring red and began to change to shape. They were now full of bloodlust and murderous intent. Not only that but a strange runic symbol was also carved into his pupils.

Using a monstrous strength that seemingly came out of nowhere. Shinji tugged on Rhino horn which was still locked into his stomach. His feet were no longer touching the floor. The surrounding temperature dropped sharply as Rhino horn started to very slowly be incased in ice, starting from the base where his hands which was touching.

"For starters. You seem very proud of this horn…Should I shatter it along with your pride into a thousand tiny pieces?"

"Uuu…aahhhh‼!"

Rhino was so surprised by his sudden shift in personality and enormous bloodlust exuding of his opponent covered in his own blood that his body broke through the ice, pushed his opponent back and retreated by pure survival instincts. The erratic movement caused him to fall on his back. Despite the sudden cold temperature that now permeated the area. Rhino was sweating bullets.

"Kh‼"

Having retracted its horn which was keeping him in place. The pain caused Shinji's conscience to waver for a second and collapse. Before that happened he mustered all his willpower to bite his own tongue and put a step forward.

"My…this won't do…I gotta close this before I bleed out...just a moment…"

Shinjirou slowly reached for the gaping hole on his stomach and his fingers began to cast a thin beams of unbridled cold which moved with surgical precision.

(This feeling…)

Rhino began to panic and as he just noticed now that his hands and legs were trembling uncontrollably. Every fiber of his being was warning him that if he takes his eyes off Shinji again even for a split second, he will die. He then pushes himself further away from him.

"Y-Yo-Y-u're not human‼ Wh-Wh-What the hell are you?!"

"Me? Hahaha…I sometimes wonder about that myself..."

While laughing at the demon's tongue tied question. He had now closed his gaping wound by freezing it solid.

"…I've seldom been called a devil. By others nothing but an idiot. Maybe a caring teacher or doting uncle by some…But unfortunately for you. I'm am none of those right now. I'm far, far worse than all of those combined. You my friend, brought back something you really shouldn't have..."

As he cracked his neck and knuckles. Shinji's dark mana grew so immense it was capable to it be seen even at naked eye and enveloped the entire campus. Black and red lighting also began to escape his body. Trails of scarlet streaks now followed his eyes at his every movement…

"Pig…"

Shinji(?) answered without looking back at the girls while brandishing a blade made out of ice with his arm.

"…I would prefer if you looked the other way for a little bit. This isn't something the two of you should see you me do…"

He then picked one of his screwdrivers out of his pocket, imbued with the darkened lighting and threw it towards the demon. As if he had become lighting itself. Shinji suddenly disappeared as soon the screwdriver left his hand. A loud shrill sound erupted as he did.

"What the?!"

Barely having the time to process his thoughts. Rhino manages to evade the incoming projectile by a hair's breadth.

As if he had appeared out of thin air. Shinjirou stood behind him, having retrieved the screwdriver and had his icy blade raised above his shoulder.

"Tsunaboshi Forbidden Swordsmanship Technique…"

(When did he-)

"…Swallow's Desolation."

Shinji swung down his blade in a horizontal angle with such tremendous force that the rows of trees over a hundred yards in front of him were decimated, a large bottomless fissure had torn the land asunder and his chilling makeshift sword broke into pieces.

Using his now freed hand. Shinji closes his palm in front of his enemy that managed to duck under the swipe and then opened it again. Lighting began to crackle from it.

"…Conflagration."

A beam made out condensed dark lighting bursts out of his hand. The blast radius alongside the fissure from earlier formed a wide large cross shaped abyss where nothing had remained.

"...I'm surprised that you managed to dodge this while in this mind state."

Shinji exclaims holding nothing but a tattered tank top in his hands and glances at his back. A hole suddenly opens behind him and Rhino now had his horn warped into a spiral shape and spun like a drill as he prepared to stab him with it.

"Rhinospear!"

Instead of dodging. Shinji stood in place, turned around and stopped the drill with his bare hands. The twisting caused several gashes to form at his palms.

"Heh. Not only your horn but you look very attached to your life as well. No wonder you're this strong…"

"You-"

"…Unfortunately for you. I don't happen to value mine as highly as yours."

Using his strength to hoist his head to the same level as his. Shinji firms his stance and swings his head backwards.

"DEMONIC GONG‼!"

He then uses the momentum to headbutt him like a pendulum. Rhino is sent flying and crashes against the gym building.

"Tch!"

Clicking his tongue in annoyance. Shinji then throws one of his screwdrivers in right in front of the shocked girl's feet.

"Oi! You two! Don't just stand there if you're not going to run! Make yourselves useful!"

"Sensei?"

Snapping his fingers, the ground in front of them suddenly began to be coated in ice and formed small words on them. Still in his dagger form. Fenrir squints his eyes to read the message.

(Those markings... How does he know this sort of spell?! Does he intend to-)

"I'm counting on you Fen-Fen!"

"Huh?! You want US to cast this?! Are you out of your freaking min-"

"Let's do it."

"Setsuna…"

"We don't have the time to worry about anything other than Sensei."

Noticing the resolute look in his partner eyes. Fenrir grins a bit.

"Dammit! Fine! I guess out of all people you can make it happen! But you better have a way out once it resolves Sensei!"

"Ai…You should stay her-Guess I don't have worry about you."

"…"

Ignoring her motionless friend. Setsuna proceeds to pick a stick off the floor and circles around the campus…

****

"GEODE SABER!"

Mirroring his foe style. Rhino slashes his way out of the debris and lunges out of sheer desperation with his arms forming a pair of blades made out sharpened rocks towards him.

In the span of a second. Shinji form a new blade and clashes against his attacker effortlessly.

"Hoh…Trying to fight me in a swordfight out of all things. I dunno if I should consider you brave…or just plain desperate."

"Shut up you damn monster!"

Toying with his opponent. Shinji easily deflects the several blades swings Rhino throws at him. Breaking one of the blades in the process. At the same time. The demon's horn grows exponentially once again as he keeps attacking without pause and then tries to surprise him by thrusting the teacher with his horn and the remaining blade on his arm.

"TWIN PEAKS‼"

Shinji manages to deflect his horn and parries the blade with a screwdriver in his other hand.

"ORAAAA‼!"

"GYAA‼"

Rooting himself in the same position. Shinji kicks the devil in the stomach and sends him flying. However, Rhino used the split second between the kick and used his other hand to grab hold of Shinji's face as it extended mid blow. His outstretched arm glowed and had the same engravings from before earlier. It circled around his long arm all the way up to his shoulders.

As if retracting a long cable. Rhino then closed the distance and screamed as his soot-covered arm fervently burned:

"EXPLOSIVE TOUCH: CHAIN REACTON‼!"

Something akin to a fuse followed the start of his shoulder blades and several explosions detonated followed his advance every centimeter threshold until his arm returned his original length and nothing but smoke remained from where Shinjirou stood.

"HAHAHA‼! How's that you for size you bloody cret-"

As Rhino cackled like a maniac. A hand suddenly jumped out of the smoke and grabbed his wrist.

"What the?!"

Once the smoke had dispersed. Shinji had remained where he was even following the aftershock that created a massive crater behind him. Half his face was scorched yet his eyes showed he was completely unfazed by it as he glared at Rhino fiercely with his black and red eyes.

"…Is that all you got?"

"Hiii‼!"

Noticing the visage of bloodlust incarnate reflected in his eyes. Sheer terror filled the demon's soul and legs froze in place as he shuddered with fear.

At the same time. Setsuna managed to finish drawing a huge magic circle around them. She then throws her stick away and instead stabbed Fenrir onto it.

"Amplification!"

The circle began to shine and the runes inside began to move like clockwork. She then placed her hand next to it and chanted in an alien tongue.

"…Aegis Murus‼"

Once she finished. A huge barrier erected in front her and covered the area in numerous layers until the entire circled area surrounded it all.

Noticing the two were now isolated inside it. Shinjirou flashed a wide ominous grin.

"… I can finally can go all out without having to worry about any more collateral damage or the girls. Sorry for keeping you waiting. Let me return the favor…"

Taking a deep long breath. A cold mist escapes Shinji's lips as he exhaled. The surrounding temperature sharply dropped instantly.

"Aahhh…"

Sensing the imminent danger and chill running down his spine. Rhino feebly struggled to slip through his grip.

"Relax. I still don't know what happened to my student so I can't just kill you. You're gonna wish I did though…"

He then raises his left arm and proceeds to quickly encase it in ice. Forming some sort of spiky gauntlet.

*BZZZTTT‼*

Red lighting began to charge it through until it crackled and escaped through the sharp spikes.

"RARGHHHH‼!"

Releasing a pained bellow that shook the very heavens. Shinji then punches him in the stomach with the laced arm, lifts him off the ground and forcefully slams his back against the soil.

"UNLEASH: COCYTUS GARDEN‼!"

A large shockwave immediately erupted and an explosion of red lighting alongside ice spreading through the earth enveloped the entire area that was sealed off by the barrier.

"Kyaaaa‼"

The aftershock caused Setsuna lose her balance again and her transformation to come undone. Fenrir too was shocked as he got hold of Setsuna by biting through her sleeve.

(That barrier was on a Valkyrie's level and it still managed to be felt all the way here?!)

"…"

Aika was still on her knees since before and simply stared at it.

Once it subsided. Fenrir and Setsuna gathered around Aika and noticed that the barrier was cracked in several places. Not only that but several spiky ice thorns protruded through the barrier boundaries and a large rose-shaped glacier stood in the middle of the area of impact. Static electricity overflowed from said thorns.

In the center was Shinji shaking the ice off his wrist and in the frozen rose's center was Rhino with a fearful look in his face.

The barrier naturally broke at the same time Shinji turned his back towards the girls.

"Phew…It's finally over…Are you girls alright?"

Dragging his battered body towards the girls and his eyes returning to its original shape and color.

The resolution seemed to bring Aika back to her senses as well as she stared at her uncle's wounds. Anger, confusion and shame. A sway of several negative feelings swirled inside her head until something inside her had snapped.

"Why…"

"Hm?"

She muttered under her breath.

"WHY DO I HAVE TO KEEP BEING RESCUED BY A MONSTER LIKE YOU?!"

"Girl…"

Overwhelmed by her own emotions. Aika continued despite the surprised look on both her friend's wolf and her uncle who stopped moving due to her outburst.

"I DON'T GET IT! WHY WOULD YOU PUT YOURSELF IN DANGER FOR ME?! YOU KNOW DAMN WELL I WOULD NEVER THANK YOU FOR IT! I'M SICK OF IT! WHY…WHY DON'T YOU JUST DIE ALREADY?! GIVE NYAMO BACK TO ME SO I DON'T HAVE SUFFER THE EMBARSSMENT OF RESCUED BY THE LIKES OF YOU EVER AGAIN?‼"

"Ai! That's enough!"

Setsuna tried to stop her friend outburst but was too late to stop her. Shinji head was downcast as he slowly dragged his limping body towards them again. Once he was a step away from them. Shinji raised his hand at her and expecting to be slapped Aika instinctively closed her eyes.

Instead he showed a pained smile, crouched and slowly put it above both the girl's heads. Patting their heads and gently tussling their hair.

"If... if you really want me to die and leave you be. Grow stronger. Strong enough...to stand on your own two feet and sever yourself from me. I'll be more than happy to consider your wish once that happens okay?"

"…"

Despite the gentle tone he used. Aika found herself unable to answer as she immediately felt the harshness behind his words and that his eyes showed he meant what he had just said.

"…It might take a while until Kittypaws goes back to you but I hope this experience at least made it clear that you need to keep that temper in check before you get yourself killed. Much as I would love to. I'm not going to be around to hold your hand all your life alright?"

Showing a feeble smile. He then turns his attention to Setsuna.

"Oh my god. Sensei…your face…your stomach…I-I…"

Ignoring her concerns. He shook his head and as if it to dispel her concerns he vaguely smirked:

"Relax Set-Chan. I already had a pretty ugly mug to begin with right? Nothing much was really changed…hahaha…"

Weakly laughing at his own joke as he continued walking until they were face to face. He then slowly wipes the trails of tears in her eyes clean with his fingertips and widely smiles with a ragged breath.

"Would you please...keep an eye both on her and Akira for me Setsuna? You know just how hardheaded these two are once they set their minds on something…"

"I…I…"

"…Please. You're the only one I can trust for this…"

Unable to bear how grim his own state was. Setsuna unable to speak instead gulped, lowered her gaze and nodded.

"…Thanks. Are you two...hurt anywhere?"

Before they are able to answer. He then uses the last of his strength to heal the small wounds and scrapes against their skins. Once he realized they were no longer in any physical pain. Shinji releases a faint and very weak sigh of relief and mumbles softly still with a faint smile.

"Now if you excuse me…I'm feeling a bit…cold and slee…py…"

The moment he finished that sentence. His vision went dark, blood began to flow out of his mouth like broken faucet a second time, the red in his eyes dissipated before rolling into the back of his head. The gemstone in his chest began to shine brightly for a moment before a unconscious Nyamo suddenly jumped out of it and landing on Aika's arms. Like a puppet with its strings cut. Shinji then collapses right between the girls.

"…Eh?"

"…Sensei?

"…"

Despite Setsuna calling him. Shinji remained on the floor with his face down with no response.

"Sensei? Now isn't the time to play possum…"

"…"

"…You're gonna make a little girl cry Sensei…"

"…"

"Hey…Sensei…"

Setsuna then turned his body towards them. The sight caused Fenrir to look away and Setsuna to grow even more concerned. His skin was much more pale and colder than hers, growing more and more with each passing second. Not only that but the ice covering the hole in his stomach was quickly starting to melt.

"Sensei…"

Setsuna ignored the fact her hands were deeply stepped in blood as she desperately began to shake his body.

"Sensei…please wake up…I'm begging you…Sensei! Sensei! SENSEI‼‼"

"…"

Confused by the sudden turns of events. Aika just stood there silently with her eyes wide open as her shrieking friend screamed for him to wake up repeatedly.

"I DON'T CARE WHO OR WHAT‼ SOMEBODY PLEASE SAVE HIM‼!"

Under the darkened clouds that drowned her wailing underneath and hid her tears was the sound of the heavy downpour that fell above them. Almost as if the skies themselves was crying with her…

****

"…aaand done! Editor-San! Please read this!"

In his new apartment. Mammothhead gleefully hands several sketched pages on his ink-stained hands to the man sitting in front of him. He quickly reads between the pages before placing back on the table.

"Not bad! I was honestly kind of on the fence when our publisher told me they had found a diamond in the rough and sent it my way but this is way beyond my expectations! I can see now that the sales on the first chapter you self-published weren't just a fluke after all!"

Hearing his praise Mammoth flared his nostrils with excitement and looked smug about it.

"I know right?! I can already see the next volume rising off the charts even more than the first!"

"…There's just one thing I would like to ask."

"Yes?"

"The main character. Despite all the questionably legal stuff he pulls with his shenanigans and how he behaves himself. There's this strange air of charisma around him that doesn't allow you to stay mad at him for long. The mystery behind his past is very intriguing as well."

"You think so too?!"

"Yeah. That man certainly is no saint but he sounds more human than anything I ever read. How did you come up with his background?"

"Hm…"

Mammoth crossed his arms and thought carefully before giving his answer.

"…It was supposed to be a secret. But I guess I can tell you. It's based on the image of the same person that gave me the opportunity to work with all of you and made this passion of mine come into fruition!"

"Sounds like you look him up a lot."

"Yeah! I owe everything to that man! He even gave me writing advice and encouraged me when I told him I would like to write a character based off on him! Even gave me a few pointers on things that would sound like something he would do! I have no doubt in my mind he probably did one or two of them but will never admit which!"

"…That last part worries me a bit. Does that mean you don't have enough material to cover from the following volume onwards? We might be going to a weekly publishing deal depending how much this sells you know?"

"I understand the concern. Rest assured I even wrote a few bullet points on a clipboard with what I would like to go from there."

"…Bullet points? You're not giving me much of assurance here Mammoth-San."

"That's because I haven't checked with 'him' about the motive I gave behind the main character yet. I kinda tried to come up with something more original and the twist which I wrote it based on my own personal view of him."

"Have to admit I'm curious. Would you mind sharing said notes? I'm sure I can help you flesh him out and have hand in cases of slumps and the like."

"Hm….Well…Okay. Hear me out. The drunkard's decision to travel around the globe was not made on a whim. The main character actually found out he's actually gravely ill and wanted to make good for the kingdom he once almost torn apart before he passes on. His reasoning warps once he meets the little girl in the story that changed his life. He's actively looking for a place to die where no one is going to find him once peace in the kingdom is restored. Then…"

As Mammoth kept going on and on about the plot with his editor. The loud sound of ambulance sirens and the heavy storm outside his window keep mercilessly going on without pause….

0