Bargaining and Depression
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Later at dawn. Lena and Crow barged into Shinji’s apartment looking for documents and anything that seemed out of place.

“Did you found anything in his closet?”

“Nope. Nothing worthy to note other than some school yearbooks and neckties. Under his bed had nothing but boxes full of porn in it either.”

“I see. You looking for anything specific other than his ID or signature?”

“…”

Lena didn’t answer as she kept looking at some of the books propped in the shelves and the yearbook photo album in her hands from twenty years ago.

“Lena-San.”

“…”

“Hag?”

“Hm? Sorry. I wasn’t listening. Did you say something?”

She asked while closing the album and putting it in one of the shelves.

Now that Crow took a closer look. He noticed his mentor eyes were redder than before they reunited and she had more makeup than when he last saw her in the hospital.

“What’s wrong? You been spacing out a lot ever since you got back.”

“It’s…nothing. It has been a long day and got a lot weighting on my mind.”

“I know firsthand how much gut-wrenching it is too see someone in that state. But we got keep a strong appearance at least in front of the girls.”

“Never thought I would’ve being consoled by you out of all people.”

“…I matured. People change.”

“They most certainly do…”

Lena muttered under her breath so quietly nobody but her could hear.

Crow then saw that her left hand was heavily bandaged.

“…Does it still hurt? Your hand I mean.”

Lena showed a faint smile as and waves her hand she brushed off his question as she started going through the drawers by the nightstand.

“Just my ears and knees. When we got in the car. Usami gave me a stern scolding like when I was still a teen for injuring our breadwinner and what I did to Aika’s pretty face. But what it really broken right now is probably my heart.”

“…”

“I was never able to go on a drink with him after all.”

“I’m sure the bar would’ve end up going bankrupt if the two of you got carried away and decided to try outdrink each other. I would’ve felt bad for the bartender. Nothing in the world would rein both of you when drunk. Even worse than that time when you and Belgrim tried doing exactly that with me and failed miserably.”

“Hehehe...You even doing jokes now too? The world surely must be ending…but thanks Hide.”

“…”

“There’s nothing I wouldn’t do to see Sensei goofing off like that again.”

“Not sure about Ai but I’m sure Setsuna and the others feels the exact same way. Myself included.”

“Have you told Ayumu yet?”

“Karasu is tucking her to bed while pretending to be me. So no. I’m not even sure how to go about this with her. She’s already seen enough death back for such a little kid.”

“…She’s a big girl now. Much stronger and kinder than you think. Something she must have taken from a certain someone who constantly ran his mouth off and doesn’t look he cares but its gentler than anyone once he learned how loved he is…”

“You really never going to let that go huh…”

Crow looks the other way to hide his blushing face as Lena giggles while teasingly poking his cheek.

Trying to change the topic. He started rummaging Shinji’s desk that was packed to the brim with papers notes and open textbooks.

“That’s right. Second semester is right around he corner and they have test seasons soon…”

“…Is that his bank book?”

Lena pointed at the black book firmly held by a latch mixed in between them.

“It even has padlock on it. So why would he keep it here in plain sight out of all-”

The book wasn’t properly closed so the moment Crow tried to pick it up. A neatly folded paper fell from between the pages alongside a worn out letter. Lena picked up and started reading the paper first since it was open.

“Is this a will?”

Crow was shocked as he pointed at the corner of the paper.

“Look at the date! He started writing this the same day Ai transferred her powers to him!”

“Did…Sensei predicted something like this happening?”

Thanks to his understanding of law due to his field of study. Crow didn’t encounter much difficulty reading through the wording on that paper much faster than Lena.

“Judging by the wording on this. It’s more like he well prepared for it-Wait! Look at the amounts of digits in this ledger despite all the red! Why in the world would he save this much money and live so miserly? It’s more than even you earn!”

The two nodded at each other and Lena opened the letter without hesitating. Her widened more and more she continued reading it. By the very end of it. Lena gasped and covered her mouth in her hand. No longer able to hold back her tears.

“Sensei…you…dummy…”

The letter fell out of her hands and she buried her face in Crow’s shoulder as he nervously started rubbing her back not knowing what else to say or do…

****

Meanwhile. Back at the Tsunaboshi estate. Aika and Setsuna went back and the latter had a sleepover. Both took long turns in the bathroom to shower to cool their heads, tired bodies and treat the mild injuries Shinjirou weren’t able to heal before passing out.

They didn’t talk much the entire time but Setsuna had no problem in sleeping on the same bed as her best friend.

Aika was twitching and turning in her sleep. Having another intense vivid nightmare. She found herself in a pitch black room with nothing but an empty void everywhere she looked. Barely able to realize if her eyes were even open or not thanks to all the darkness.

{…Dammit!! It’s all my fault‼ Why do I always have to be so weak?!}

{Playing the blame game now isn't going to help anyone.…}

{Sensei…wake…up please…}

{…It should have been you lying there!}

Several familiar voices lingered in Aika’s head and swirled inside her mind as she futilely struggled to dispel them.

“Shut up‼ This is all a dream! Go away‼ Go away! GO AWAY‼‼!”

She crouched down, unable to stop the voices from echoing and overlapping each other. Shaking and fully aware that she was dreaming yet her pain and unease still managed to haunt her.

“Stop! It’s not my fault! It’s not‼ t’s not! It’s not! It’s all his fault‼”

Suddenly Aika feels herself sent flying and her right cheek felt a familiar stinging sensation again. Finding herself re-experiencing the scene in the hospital with Lena and co earlier.

{Then did he deserved to die?}

A shadowy presence asks using her mentor’s warped voice as the question reverberated in the void yet they were very clear for Aika to hear. It’s cold piercing gaze seemed was as if she was looking through her very depths soul and that tormented her more than anything she ever experienced in her life until now.

{Because you deemed it so? Who gave you the right to decide who live and dies? Are you a god? What makes you so different than him? Isn’t he human like you? He didn’t seem to regret his choice…but can you say the same about yourself? If he dies. You’ll never able to tell him how much you hate him ever again.}

Aika flinched a little but eventually rose up from the floor and confronted the shadow’s barrage of questions. She couldn’t open her eyes yet due to the burning pain in her face.

“Shut up‼ That man made his bed and laid on it! I never asked to be the damsel in distress and saved by the likes of him‼ So yes! I believed he deserved it! I don’t feel any remorse!”

*Swhing!*

Once she opened her eyes. Aika noticed it was still dark but not as much as a moment ago. In fact, her vision was clear as day despite all that.

She noticed a familiar threatening silver sharp object hanging above her. Still dripping with a reddish liquid which dripped onto her face. Behind her was Setsuna holding her in her arms. The thick fresh scent of blood filled their nostrils.

“Gwaahh…aahh…”

Something rotund stood in front of her. Shielding them from the horn and preventing it from moving it forward.

“No…Not this fucked up scene again…”

“Gwahh…”

“Se-Sensei…you…”

Immediately realizing Aika is experiencing the same dreadful moment from a few hours ago…yet something still felt slightly off.

Shinjirou didn’t looked back at them to reassure them. In fact, his voice couldn’t even get out other than a small moan.

Staring at where Setsuna was pointing at. Aika took another glance at her uncle and finally noticed was off about the span of events. The horn wasn’t in front of her face but way above their heads. Not impaling Shinji’s stomach but the left side his chest instead. His body was squirming in pain and his skin was pale as a sheet.

“Ughh…BLEGH‼!”

Following a whimper, Shinji had puked so much blood almost as fast the blood that flooded out of his chest as the demon rose his horn and lifting him off the ground. The gemstone on Nyamo, who fell out of a portal that came from inside his body was cracked and stood motionless.

His body then ceased to move, now lifeless as a corpse. Rhinocortex heaved the carcass off his horn which impaled him through the heart and flung him high into the air. He landed inches behind the demon.

“Ai…Set…Set…r…ru…run…”

Regaining his conscience after a few seconds. Shinji was barely able to utter the words quieter than a whisper as he tried to reach his hand towards them. Almost as if pleading them.

“Sen…”

Setsuna was broken in shock and couldn’t move as tear ran down her eyes. Her voice was just as hoarse as his.

Hanging onto life by a thread. Shinjirou still tried dragging his body across the floor towards them. But failed miserably and falls unconscious after a couple seconds as Rhino slowly started walking towards the pair.

“SENSEI‼!”

Setsuna, drops Aika on the floor and tries walking towards Shinji’s body ignoring their attacker. Who allowed her to pass through him.

Her falling and Setsuna’s passing through her in a rush made Aika stop spacing out. Setsuna, who was cradling a very weak Shinji in her lap. Shinji’s body spasms a little and recovers his conscious again thanks to her tears, albeit briefly. He slowly turns his head, in order to face the fragile girl holding him in her arms.

Noticing the despair reflected in her face. Shinji feebly reaches his hands towards Setsuna’s moisty eyes that glinted under the moonlight, clearing the trail of tears that had burst out of her eyes sockets like a waterfall. Aika herself failed to realize that she was crying as well.

“So…rry…for…dying…in..such…uncool manner…”

The dying man in his last throes takes a deep breath as he mutters his last words at the two as he smiled apologetically.

“Haha…I’m really…regretting not hiding…my porn stash properly now…I messed up.”

“Sensei…you…I…”

“I’m…kidding. What I really…regret most right now is making the two girls I treasure the most in this world bawling with me dying in their arms…”

Shinji tried clumsily reaching to Setsuna’s face and lovingly caressed it. His vision was probably no longer working.

“Strange… I thought I…was ready to die any moment…but…now that it is near…I feel…cold…and afraid. I’m really…really fucking scared to leave you all behind…”

Shinji then feebly turns his head at his niece’s direction. He was definitely blind yet Aika could swear she felt her uncle staring deeply into azure colored eyes. He flashes yet another weak gentle smile, as Shinji mutters a last, genuine:

“I’m sorry…Ai…Chan…take…care…I…lo…”

Without being able to finish his parting words. The color leaves the teacher’s eyes and they slowly start to close. The hand which was on Setsuna’s face drops onto the floor completely limp. His body gets paler and colder to the touch. Lastly, she felt that his heart stopped beating…

“Sensei…Sensei…SENSEI‼‼‼”

*tap, tap,tap.*

Distract by what’s transpiring right in front of her. Aika failed to notice the horned demon’s footsteps getting closer and closer. The demon now stood right in front of her with the cold murderous eyes that aptly matches his race. Rhinocortex put his hands together, rose high above him. Aika’s entire being was shaken and lets out a small yelp while reliving a hell much deeper than the one that she had actually faced and…

“Ueh?”

His hands dropped it like a hammer and slammed it right into her face as she continued hearing her friend screaming in despair and agony. Begging her dead teacher to open his eyes…

*splat!*

****

“Gwahh!‼”

Hearing her best friend plead in earth shattering shrieks and her impeding apparent death inside that lucid dream. Aika is finally forcibly shook out of that nightmare. Now fully awake, she straightens out of the bed under the span of a second only to finding herself screaming in the comfort of her own room. Breathing heavily and gasping for air.

“Hahh…hahhh…”

Aika held her face in her hand and tried feeling where those fists had connected. There were no scars or bleeding whatsoever despite the pain she clearly felt at that very moment feeling disturbingly real. The ghostly pain of feeling her skull being caved in still remained.

Trying to recompose herself with deep breaths. Her shining green colored eyes stopped glowing as she started calmed down after several minutes had passed. Returning to its original color.

(Shit. I hope I haven’t bothered my family or the neighbors…what the hell was that nightmare? It felt so real I still have a hard time distinguishing it from reality…)

Both her pajamas and bed sheets were completely drenched in sweat. Her throat was also very dry and sore.

Unable to fall asleep again, fearing she would relive the reenactment of the hell from earlier once again or worse. Aika got off her bed and realized Setsuna was still sleeping like a rock right next to her.

(She must’ve been exhausted if she didn’t wake up with me moving around that much and hearing me scream like that…)

She tried to check on her friend but Setsuna mumbled in her sleep and twitching her eyebrows in discomfort:

“No... Sensei...don’t leave me...I'll be a good girl and do everything you say. You don’t even need to look at me in any way whatsoever...just come back...please...not like this...I...I...”
Aika puts her finger in her friend’s lips and carefully wraps the blankets back on her. Who repositioned herself into a fetal position.

Fenrir was sleeping by the bedside so she also put a blanket on him too and closed the window before leaving her bedroom.

After taking a shower, washing her face along her sweat drenched pajamas and change into a new one. Still parched, Aika decided to grab something to drink from the kitchen.

(Hm? The lights are still on?)

She walks over and find her brother huddled in his seat with several blankets as he stared absent mindedly at his phone and drinking coffee. Once he saw his sister coming in. Akira changed his frown into a caring yet fake smile Aika knows very well her brother does while comforting others even when facing pain and sorrow himself.

“Aki-Nii?”

“Oh? Nee-Chan? What’s wrong? Couldn’t sleep?”

“Yeah. You could say that…”

“…Had a bad dream too huh? Please have a seat. I’ll make some more coffee.”

“’Too’? How did you know?”

Aika asks as she took upon her brother’s offer as he casually hands her a mug.

“Easy. I know you well Nee-Chan. All this stuff happening to uncle out of nowhere brought me a few bad memories from…you know what.”

He muttered while staring at his coffee and stroking his mug so his sister tried changing the subject:

“Where’s our parents?”

“Dad stayed back in the hospital and told us to come back since the two of us still have school tomorrow. Mom locked herself in their bedroom and won’t come out but said she’ll be fine to go to work but will probably be late. Dad didn’t let us step even a single foot into the building.”

“I see...”

After silence lingered in the air and nothing but the ticking clock filled the room for a long time. Akira tried breaking the silence:

“You know? Even though he with us for so long. We still don’t know much about our uncle.”

“You’re talking to the wrong person. You already know I…don’t care much for him.”

Aika had a momentaneous pause as her dream from earlier flashed in the back of her mind for an instant. But that didn’t stop her brother from being pushed around like usual and continued:

“Have you heard Uncle apparently has been renting a boat and diving equipment then going to the sea by himself to search for something on the neighboring islands every Saturday night?
“Wait. Really?”
“Yeah.”

Aika was a bit surprised to hear about it but her brother didn’t seem to share the same feeling as he firmly nodded back at her. Almost as if he expected that from their uncle.
“Now that you mention it. I think I remember Setsuna complain he reeked of seawater a couple of times on Mondays. But I'd never seen that man sit still for more than a minute. When did he managed to find the time for that?
“He started doing it right after the ‘Rainbow Bridge incident’ happened From what Sasori-San told me. So it’s obviously not ‘something’ but rather ‘someone’. Even me and the Maeda’s decided to do the search on a monthly basis due to our lives yet Uncle, who should be the busiest of all of us has been doing it for years. I wonder if he still feels responsible for what happened back then…even though he never were even a teacher in St. Marise in the first place. I’m recently learned from them Uncle is still trying to convince them to take his apology money even after all these years.”
“You say as if he still doesn’t have anything to do with her suicide...or you for that matter.”
“...”
“Sorry. It has been a very long day for me too. I know you and the Maeda’s were the biggest victims here and don’t blame him for what happened back then. But I honestly cannot say I feel the same way. That is one of the things I'll never be able to forgive that man. Ever.”
“Nee-Chan. I know what loss is like much more than you do. There is still so much I wished to say and learn from them. There’s nothing I wouldn’t do to see their faces one more time...”

(If he dies. You’ll never able to tell him how much you hate him ever again!)

Lena’s(?) reprimanding words from earlier resound in her head.

“Yet there is nothing I can do now but move on no matter how much I cry. They wouldn’t allow me that luxury. I wouldn’t ever want anyone to experience this sort of helplessness. Especially my precious little sister and her screw loose friend.”

“...I’m telling Setsuna you called her that.”
“Eehh?! Please don’t! She'll be super mad at me!”

Timed passed by as they briefly chatted about nothing in particular and eased on each other’s anxiety…until a flashback of Shinji’s dying breath during her nightmare resurfaces in Aika’s mind.

“…Hey Aki-Nii.”

“Yes dear sister?”

“Mind if I ask a strange question?”

“Of course! Please let me still act as the mature reliable older brother from time to time!”
“Be honest. What do you think about the Pi-I mean our uncle? He might seem close to yo-I mean us. But don’t you think it’s weird that he’s so distant from our parents and everyone else seems to just barely acknowledge his erratic behavior?”

“Hmmmm…”

Akira crosses his arms, takes some time carefully pondering about her question and takes a sip of his coffee before he opening his mouth:

“…Uncle might get carried away in his antics sometimes. Yes. But I don’t think that means he’s necessarily a bad person. He never seems to hesitate in the slightest if anyone asks him for help with anything. You might not remember either but he was a bit clumsy and distant from even us back when we were first introduced to him.”

“He did? His grating laughter is the first thing I can think of from as far as when we were little.”

“Haha! I think it’s because you were still barely three years old while I was already five when we first met. He was pretty much pushed by Grandpa into our house, telling him to watch the house since our parents went on a trip for their anniversary and then left us alone with him the moment we took our eyes off him. Haha. Uncle just kept staring at us without knowing what to do and barely said anything the whole weekend. The only times he said anything were telling us to ‘thank for the food’ before eating his tacos and ‘good night’. You kept trying to climb on his back when he tried to leave from the back door soon as our parent’s car got in the garage too.”

Not really convinced. Aika kept squinting as her brother kept on going:

“…I was a bit wary of him at first since it was so sudden but you just saw it as another playmate. The second time, he was a more used to it, talked much more and tried indulge you by playing with us. By the third time he babysat us. I warmed up to him and you brought Setsuna-San for a sleep over. He tried his best to impress her but she wanted nothing to do with him at the time and gave him the cold shoulder. Hard to believe when you think how she is now isn’t it?”

Akira kept going without forcing a smile and without even stuttering. Clearly fondly reminiscing about the past.

“I’m a bit shocked you think so fondly of the man partly responsible for all your bullying and had a hand in how you ended up like you are now in the first place.”

Akira’s smile wavered for a moment since she touched a sore spot but he mildly shook his head to refute his sister claims.

“I’ll admit. I thought about it like that at first too. But had a change of heart after noticing how hard Uncle tries please anyone and everything he dedicates himself into. He still helps us a lot by the shadows without our notice…Mind if I ask you to keep a secret?”

“Shoot.”

“One of our father’s closest men saw told me the reason Uncle tried to put a dress on me the first time was because he once heard my mother tell him while she was groggy from medication that she always wanted to have a daughter that would be much healthier than her to do everything she couldn’t do due to her illness. He planned to take a photo every month, sneak into the mountains and put by her’s and Grandma’s grave.”

“…”

“I only learned recently that Uncle didn’t even used to be close to her back at all when she was entrusted to Grandpa. He wasn’t close to our parents, family or pretty much anyone until the four of them got into high school. Sometimes I wonder if he feels guilty for this and that’s his way to make up for the lost time...”

“Wait! Something doesn’t add up! He obviously avoids our parents any chance he gets! They barely say anything about him!”

Akira them goes silent at his sister’s loud denial. But proceeds to do slight subtle nod in a similar way their father does.

“…Yeah. A year after Uncle started taking care of us. He got reinstated as a teacher and Makoto-San found out that same day he was taking care of us without her knowledge. I remember waking up in the middle of that night and they were having this huge argument on this very kitchen. I never saw either of them raise their voices like that. They didn’t even notice me eavesdropping by the door.”

“What were they talking about?”

“That’s the thing. I can’t really remember since I was so impressionable. She stormed out of the house right after Dad said something with Uncle’s and our family name. He then loudly cursed and kicked the leg on the table huffing with anger. He then opened that locket he keeps on his neck that he doesn’t show anyone, whimpered and started chugging every bottle of alcohol in the house he could find. Mumbling apologetically about something while touching that locket several times.”

“…What about Mom?”

“Makoto-San only came back a month later. She still called us every day to hear our voices and reassure she was fine. I swear I kept hearing a bear roaring whenever she called and get worried constantly though. She always said it was nothing but an old cartoon on TV about some old man pleading a grizzly for mercy before she performed a wrestling move on him.”

“You seem to remember a quite lot for someone who was what? Six?”

“I could never erase that memory from my mind even if I tried. I never saw Dad drinking like that or my happy-go-lucky stepmother looking so tormented about something even after she came back. It’s still comes perfectly clear to me even after all these years.”

The two them take a glance at the ticking clock and noticed time faster than they realized. Akira took a glance at his phone but there were still no calls.

“It’s getting late. School starts in a few hours so we should at least try get to some sleep if we want to get ready.”

“I’m surprised you’re still considering going there after all this.”

“Uncle would scold us if we got skipped class for something like this. So I rather adhere to his wishes. Even at moments like this.”

Aika felt dumfounded at how her brother seemed so straightforward and mature his words are from how he usually is. Reminded of why he is the older sibling. Aika got up from her seat.

“Thanks Aki-Nii. I still find your story a bit hard to swallow and feels alien to hear anything good about that Pi-I mean that man. But you at least gave me a lot think about.”

“Uncle just is what he is. I honestly can’t see him any other way.”

“Well. Most of the anxiety from my bad dream is kinda gone thanks to that. So you have my gratitude.”

Aika stated as she stretched her back after getting up.

“What was it about sis?”

“Err. I rather not talk about it. Too gruesome to put it in details. I rather never think about it again.”

She said while putting a hand on her forehead reflexively and waving her other hand at him dismissingly. After washing their cups and reaching the doorway. Aika turned back and said:

“Oh yeah. I once saw what’s inside Father’s locket while delivering some paperwork from the student council and he didn’t notice me coming him. He was busy with a phone call and left it opened on his desk. It’s was an old photo of him, Mother and three other students in the school’s old uniform. It was crazy! One guy was clearly a scary delinquent! Dude was full of piercings, had a wooden sword and everything and the other girl wasn’t any better!

“Seriously?!”

“Those two looked slightly annoyed and Mother was pouting while dragging the them by the ear into the frame. Father at the center was blushing while hunching over to appear in the frame while some the other lady with green hair was on top of him grinning mischievously. Patting his head and pressing her tits against his back”

“…”

“I don’t think I need to say it out loud. But I think that was Yuri. One of the few pictures he probably still has of her. You really should ask him to show it to you sometime.”

“Thanks for telling me sis.”

“Don’t mention it. Good night Aki-Nii.”

“Later Nee-Chan.”

Now alone in the kitchen, Akira’s smile faded as he gazed at the rising sun coming from the window. Leaning his chin against his hand and then at the celling. He muttered in an expression full of confusion and sorrow:

“Mother huh……”

Bink, who happened to overhear their conversation from above the attic leaning his ear against the flooring. He remained lying there prone while staring at a bunch of the dusty old stuff the Tsunaboshi kept in boxes near his giant whale-plushie bed.

“Tsunaboshi huh…what even are they?”

****

Joyous Ursine Memorial Hospital. 5AM. Mr. Tsun was having a conversation with someone on a public phone outside the front entrance.

“…I know it was risky for you coming down here without announcing anything but thanks Fath-Raiga. I doubt I would’ve been able to convince those two to go back home on my own…Yes. I owe Granny Hasegawa and Lena-San big time for informing you about my brother in time. I sear those two just as nosy as Sasori…No. You don’t need to worry about school or anyone trying to play smart in our territory in the meantime. We can handle ourselves. I doubt the news would leak so soon but I already took some countermeasures if it comes to that. Send Kumaki-San my regards. I’ll keep you posted if the doctors update us with anything.”

Soon as he was done with that call and leaving on his car full of large burly men in black suits. Beatrice had Sei to get checked some by the doctors earlier and was now taking a nap on one of the chairs by the waiting room. Leaning against Yale’s soft wool.

Nyamo who was resting next to her suddenly got up on her feet. Her movements were languid and the twisted symbol inside the gemstone on her forehead was shining bright as the sunlight reflected upon it.

“This voice…I…Where am…That’s…right nya. Me and…were fighting when something...Oh nyo…I need to find my partner…”

The cat hopped off the seat and walked with wobbly steps and hazy vision. Nyamo turns the corner towards the ‘isolation ward ‘instead of the emergency room.

“I’m coming…Nozomi-Nyan…”

****

Making her way strutting into the corridor. A mysterious pair of women watched over the feline from second wing rooftop.

“Hey. It’s starting.”

“Geh…”

A woman with long dark blue hair wearing an alluring dress showing her bare back bearing a pair of broken horns and small pair of bat-like wings said while sitting on the floor with her legs crossed said. As she gently pets a small and strange winged creature. Which had a very similar pair of wings to hers and was sitting in between the seductress’s legs. Comfortably leaning against her stomach and resting his face between her bountiful bosom.

“Sounds like our little girl actually was able to alter fate without breaking it apart after all. I feel bad for the kitty though. Poor thing probably will be back square one thanks to that curse.”

“The beginning or the end of something new.  What happens starting now is up in the air to anyone’s guess. It’s all up to the two of them what happens from here on. We are to not directly interfere much more than this.”

The other, wearing a nun outfit answered as she seemed to be solemnly praying towards something with a necklace crucifix between her palms.

“Hey. Think leaving our cafe unattended will be really fine at this hour? On those streets?”

“Don’t worry. I left my halberd leaning by the porch. I doubt anyone would be dumb enough to try getting inside.”

“GYEAAAAH‼‼!!”

The sister answers after she was done praying. She then suddenly, stabs his head with the cross in her hand, picks up the small creature off the other lady’s lap by the head and started twisting his neck at an seemingly unnatural angle.

“Always going with the aggressive approach first…No wonder we don’t get that many customers with that thing propped by the doorway or mounted on the walls. Then again, it’s the reason I fell in love with you in the first place Marianne. So I guess its fine…”

“Shut it Impa ‘Queen of Imps’. I don’t remember complaining when you almost fed one of our customers a poisoned omelet that could break the Geneva convention while your servants shirked with work and pranked one of our regulars. All while me and Yagami-Kun were busting our asses off in that scorching cramped kitchen.”

“Geez! You still hung on that? It was summer okay?! I’m sorry for forgetting take a shower and wash most of my toxins off before putting the maid uniform with Naomi-Chan and Yuririn! Besides, you did complain! You spoonfed me imp soup for three months as punishment! Now how about you say you love like you did in bed on that morning-Ouch‼”

“Keep talking shit and I know where I’m keeping my halberd when we get back.”

“Hohoho! Don’t threaten a great demoness such as I with a good time when we still have to serve our scant ‘masters’ Maririn ‘The Iron Maiden’! You’re so cute when you get so Tsun on me!”

She wagged her long black tail with spade-shaped tip at end and back forth like a dog as fawned over the nun called Marianne. Who sighs and flickers her cross patterned lighter on a cigarette. Her eyes heavy with bags underneath and aqua colored braided hair shines under the rising sun as she exhaled smoke that went right between her semi-transparent broken halo. 

“Sigh…and you’re much cuter when you got your pretty mouth shut. Wait! How you on your waitress high and mighty obnoxious noble mode with me? Where did your bashful and submissive half went?”

“Hehe! Easy! I took all of the money from the register yesterday to order us some of that legendary Shuten-Douji gourd for our 400th anniversary! I got a bit curious if that liquor still held up to its name so I may have taken a biiiiit more than a sip ahead of ti- HYAAA‼! Wait! Don’ choke me with your halo‼! If you ravish me here and now I won’t able to service or work at the regis-I was kidding Maririn! Please don’t shove my tail in there right now either! At least let me get rea- KYAHHH‼!”

“GEH‼! GEH‼! GEEHHH‼!”

A group of the same small creatures from before keep enthusiastically cheering on the struggling pair while ignoring the dead one right next to them that had his head completely bent at the opposite direction. A cross lodged into its skull…

0