Chapter 5: Imminent Threat
271 7 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A/N: I'm already done making the world map for my story, however, it sucks, my drawing, is there any app you readers know for making maps? If then, please drop it in the comment section.

Enjoy the chapter!

Franc City, Fortress Castle.


Diplomat Michael Johnson and his team were guided by Queen Helena inside the castle, first, they entered a room with elegant design and fancy paintings, its maroon theme is something pleasant to the eyes.

The queen offered them to sit on a sofa with a small square table, the maids serve them tea and pastry such as soft bread.

The diplomats introduced their selves and the country of The United Pacific, its location, size, a form of government, culture, and national power which Diplomat Michael only gave the tip of the iceberg information.

"So you and your people are isolationist? I can't believe that there's civilization there, our ancestors sent an expedition on those lands yet no one returned when they entered the mysterious mist which is has been there for hundreds of years." The queen said in shock.

"Yes, your majesty, although we've been isolated, our country still advanced and made things such as these." Michael then showed some products made from United Pacific, the queen was astonished by the things before her, although there is soap in the empire, it can't be compared to what she's holding now, it has a rose scent which is pleasant to the nose, skin products that make your skin healthy, shampoo, beautiful dresses and simple clothing with high-quality textile.

The marines behind Michael could only grin as they see the Queen acting like a child, "Women, alright" that's all they thought while observing the Queen, Helena, noticing the people looking at her, recomposed herself.

"Ehem, I must say I'm very fascinated with these products Sir Michael, and you say these are not the only ones your country is producing?" 

"Yes, your majesty, that's why we came here for a peaceful diplomatic mission and to look for trade partners, we are hoping that our countries can cooperate, as you can see, our products just as you said, is that of high qualities, we can both benefit this agreement and hopefully convince your country that we are not bad guys."

Queen Helena thinks for a second, there's no pondering it, it's clear as water that what Diplomat Michael said was true, furthermore, the magic ring that can detect lies did not respond, which it can only produce a dim red light when someone is lying.

Just as the queen is pondering, a knock was heard and a man entered the room, he was just around 30 or so, a dark brown hair, wearing white clothing and a green vest and brown trousers, while various medals are on his chest shine from the reflection of light.

Michael stood from his position and slightly bowed to pay his respect while the Queen runs over the man, "I suppose you are the owners of those massive grey ships? I'm Louis Napoli di Franc, the ruling emperor, it's nice meeting you Sir?"

"Michael. Michael Smith your majesty, it's nice meeting you."

They then returned to their seats after the emperor, Emperor Louis then ordered the guards to leave the room with only one guard being left.

Queen Helena explained to the Emperor their conversation, "I understand, so you are the people from that mysterious piece of land, and the mist suddenly was gone, and here you are looking for trade partners."

"That's how it is, your majesty," Michael replied.

The emperor started to inspect the products as well, "Ho, these are... Good, better than what we currently have, may I ask what are these things, Sir Michael?" The emperor asked referring to tablets and capsules which are medicine mainly for fever, cough, flu, and other common disease during the medieval era.

"Those are medicine for various diseases, your majesty, such as fever, cough, diarrhea, infection, flu, and other diseases, safe and proven already if you want, we can also export these, but of course, in something small for return," Michael said frankly.

"And what would that be?" Emperor Louis said as he look at the eyes of Michael.

"Excluding the trade agreement, if possible, we want to form a non-aggression pact between my country and your empire and build an embassy."

"And why should I do that? Although I admit your products are no one like others, forming a non-aggression pact and an embassy from an unknown country in my empire is just too preposterous, not to mention we are a superpower, doing that means we see you as an equal or major power, which is not good in terms of international politics, we will be seen as a laughingstock by allowing some isolationist barbarians to build their embassy and a non-aggression pact."

Michael understood what the emperor said, during this era, the pride of the royalty and nobles are sky-high, they love to look down on others and discriminate, he was even surprised by the behavior of the queen and emperor, "Of course, I understood that your majesty, and we're not just some barbarians, to ease your thoughts we would like to show you some of our old weapons and demonstrate it to you."

Michael glanced at the guards who replied with a nod, they then exited the room and returned carrying four rectangular wooden boxes, Michael stood and approach one of the rifle boxes and opened it, revealing a musket, however, the emperor noticed that the flintlock is missing and other parts of the musket.

Michael turned around and spoke, "This is a Dreyse needle-gun, a breech-loading rifle capable of firing 6-12 rounds per minute with a trained user, even commoners with no military knowledge can fire three."

Emperor Louis was amazed by the rifle, "Then let's go to the castle yard, there's a shooting range there." The group along with the emperor and the queen then began to leave the room for the shooting range.

Upon reaching the site, Michael took a needle gun and a small carton box of the acorn-shaped lead bullet in a paper cartridge, he loaded the rifle and aimed it at the target.

*Bang! After he pulled the trigger, the lead bullet hit its target, he then went for another shot and another, he fired a total of 8 rounds which all luckily hit the target.

He returned to the group and spoke, "Well I'm not used to using bolt action rifles but I guess this is enough, so? What do you think your majesty?"

Emperor was surprised by the demonstration, a musket— no, a rifle, capable of shooting so many rounds in a single minute, without reloading using the traditional method, such rifle can turn the tide of war, he can upgrade his army and be more powerful.

"S–such thing... And we're here struggling for a breakthrough for a new weapon design, I'm speechless, Sir Michael, we have a deal."

"Thank you, your majesty! For sure our government will be delighted by this news, and who knows they might consider allowing of export of much more advanced weapons." Michael said with a grin.

Emperor Louis only smiled and gulped at the same time thinking Am I having a deal with a devil? 

And with that, the United Pacific has made peaceful first contact, agreements such as trade, a non-aggression pact, and arms trade.

===

April 12, 2030

New Arc, United Pacific.

Inside the Winter Palace, Edward was just gotten out of the bath, it was his first time bathing ever since the flooding, freshwater was very precious back then, he's glad that there's a nearby river for a water source, a watering system is already built, though only temporarily since the engineers wanted to build a dam in a lake just a few kilometers of the city, the water system is now available to almost every household however the flow is weak.

The construction of the city is getting better, the civilian district is now done with only minor construction needed to be done, the houses are aligned well.

He wore his suit and headed into his office, upon entering, he was greeted by Martha, his secretary working on the other side of the room.

"Good morning, President Edward." She greeted.

"Good morning, Martha, is there something important I need to know?" Edward asked.

"Yes, I was about to tell you, a report came from the Diplomatic team regarding the mission." Martha handed a paper report.

Edward then read the content, upon reading the report he smiled in delight, "The first contact is a success, we now have an official trading partner and a non-aggression pact, our south is somehow safe now."

Edward sat on his chair, further analyzing the report, it seems that slavery was once practiced by the empire before getting abolished by the current emperor, however, slavery is not fully eradicated yet, criminals are exempted from the abolishment, depending on the crime they commit, they can be sentenced as slaves who are sent to labor camps where they are forced to work until their last breath.

That aside, the empire showed interest in purchasing large amounts of weaponry, mainly the Dreyse needle-gun, handguns such as colt 45 peacemaker, and other military equipment which are dated back a hundred years ago, a week from now on two cargo ships will embark to the empire, to sell goods and products that are recently made from the industrial area, after that, they will import livestock such as chicken, pig, cow, goats, etc, raw ores are included as well since the mining industry of the country is not wide enough to meet the demand of the growing market, an efficient amount is needed for the expansion and growing economy of the United Pacific.

A large deposit of oil was discovered in the southeast near the newly made farmlands and just 30 kilometers away from the nearest beach, although there is already an oil field in the middle of the country, the government, especially the companies and industries wanted to expand since it will surely be needed when the country has more trading partners.

However, there's a problem regarding the currency, the natives still use copper, silver, and gold coins as their currency, meanwhile, the United Pacific uses paper bills which are mostly US dollars, rather than changing the currency system of the country, the government decided that the payment of gold will be exchange to its right amount into money, the newly established Central Pacific Bank will control the printing and circulation of the currency, designs for new bills are made as well, it highlights national heroes, animals, and historical land site, the new bill will be called Pacific Dollar or just Dollar.

===

Hexagon, New Arc City.

Secretary of Defense Erwin Schwartz is listening to his secretary's report.

"The the New Arc airbase is already completed, the air force are now placing aircraft, equipment and personnel, by two weeks it will be fully operational, and for the Eastern Military Command Post, Western Military Command Post, the construction of the new bases are still ongoing, by next month it should be completed, we will be placing 60,000 personnel on both bases, now, regarding the Naval Headquarters, three weeks from now on it will be completed, Central Military Command is now fully operational, and with that, we have now established bases around the country."

Secretary Schwartz nodded in satisfaction, "Good, now we have eyes and guards on the border, better not let those elves discover us here yet."

"So, regarding the discovery of settlements in the north and eastern forest, do we have any information about their identity?" Secretary Schwartz asked.

"Not yet Mr.Secretary, however the SOG-1 (Special Operations Group) are now on their way for reconnaissance and first contact, we expect to get a report 3 days from now."

Secretary Schwartz understood and dismissed his secretary when he was about to leave the office to visit the president, an employee suddenly barge into the room, trying to catch his breath, he immediately approached Secretary Schwartz and handed a piece of paper to him.

"Mr.Secretary! We have an emergency, our recon planes reported that a 5,000 strong elven army is heading towards the Northeastern Hills! It is expected that they will arrive within a week!"

Secretary Schwartz was shocked by the revelation, he hastily goes towards the situation.

***

8