Chapter 16: Clueless Bully
64 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A nun held my right hand, leading me into the building next to the church.

It was a classroom filled with kids and brim with rays of light coming from the windows. 

When the girl that I met at the stone pathway, and I made it up the stone pathway, we crossed a nun who was carrying a basket of clothing.

This nun’s name was Sister Amy, and she was fairly cute. 

There’s a lot of cute ladies around lately…

‘Mhm…’ Earl seemed disinterested when my pervy thoughts just came out of nowhere. 

She was a somewhat beautiful young woman. 

She wore a veil, long black tunic which glistened in the sun, and a white color nearly covering her neck. 

“This is Alaric Grimald. He’s 7 years old, and he’s from Dunwich, a nearby town. He’s new to this city. Please treat him well.” Sister Amy introduced me.

I scanned the room to find a seat in the back of the room next to the furthest window. 

“Stand and say good morning.”

The seats made loud scratching noises from the students pushing them back and standing up. 

“Good morning.” The students greeted together

I gave an awkward smile and gave a small wave. 

I’m so bad at this…

“How about you find a seat, Alaric?” Sister Amy asked

“Right…” 

I had already decided when I scanned the room. 

I walked down the aisles, with my fresh new clothes (they weren’t really any better from my older ones, but they didn’t have any dirt and blood stains on them), and towards the seat in the back near the unglazed window.

The cute girl I helped when I first came to the church sat in the near front. There weren’t many kids, which gave me some relief.

Unfortunately, some were troublesome.

Sorry, I don’t mean some.

One was very, very troublesome. 

“I forgot one of my notebooks. I’ll be right back. Don’t start any trouble, you kids.” Sister Amy instructed, as she hurried out of the classroom. 

“Heheheh…” a boy across from my seat giggled. 

This kid had dark brown messy hair. He looked my height, but far thinner.

My question would soon be put to rest as soon as this kid’s true nature came to light.

He rose from his seat, and stood right next to me, peering down at me. 

“Hi! I’m Tomas Fischer!!!” 

Tomas… Thomas… there’s been too many familiar names lately…

‘Thomas is a common name-’

“Hello?!” Tomas shouted.

I haven’t said anything to him, but I was visibly annoyed. I glared at him but he didn’t get the hint. Some kids watched our little interaction.

Jeez, he’s annoying

‘What’s jeez?’ 

Jeez nuts. 

‘What?’

Nothing.

I swore he had a pig nose. And I couldn’t exactly be wrong, because it looked exactly like a pig nose.

I questioned if he was human. 

“Are you going to ignore me?!?” Tomas kept shouting

“Please… can you be quiet?” I asked nicely.

“Is this better?” Tomas whispered.

“No- yes… thank you…” Tomas may have been born to be annoying, because he is the definition of annoying. 

“OK!” Tomas shouted again, and my ears rung gently. 

“What’re you-”

“What’re you doing, Tomas?” Sister Amy asked from the doorway.

“Nothing! Just introducing myself, Sister Amy!!!” Tomas shouted

“Stop screaming, and sit down.” Sister Amy demanded

Tomas went back to his seat and plopped down on it harder than Sister Amy plopping her book down on her desk in the front of the room. 

I knew that I was going to have a long-lasting hatred for him that would only boil more as we interacted further.

‘Control yourself, Alaric.’

He’s annoying.

‘Indeed. However, you must stay composed. Composure is a significant trait to have in battle.’ Earl advised.

I see…

I peered out the window, towards the city.

I could see a lot of the city. The shops, the people, carriages, and much more. The city was filled to the brim with activities. 

I could also see a large arena deeper into the city. I was eager to check that out whenever I could.

My enthusiasm soon died down after I realized how I got here.

It was a long afternoon of remorse and anxiousness. 

Regardless, I was in The City of Beginnings, and I could fulfill my potential and do something rather than being another average person.

I had an opportunity that many would die for, and I took it without hesitation.

I was surprised that there was any education in this church. Many peasants don't get any, yet these kids do. 

The books that we were given were worn out, and were probably from other bigger schools that changed to more updated books. 

I’ve already got all the information from what these books are providing, though.

These are made just for kids. 

I was considering asking Sister Amy if I could have some of her books if she has any. 

In a world of magic and swords, who wouldn’t want to learn more about it?

The class ended, and before the class was dismissed, Sister Amy had something to say.

“Oh, one of you boys, please guide Alaric to your bedrooms, and show him where the girls are so he doesn’t go wandering in them.” 

All of the boys seemed shy except Tomas, who was thrilled to have such an opportunity. 

Please… anyone…

Tomas waved his hand in the air violently to where he held his wrist in slight discomfort from shaking it too hard.

“Alright… go ahead Tomas. The rest of you are dismissed.” Sister Amy grabbed her things and left. Some students moved seats to converse with one another through whispering, while the others left. 

Most of the students looked a little older than me, which left me with even more social pressure. 

As for the others, they were clearly younger than me.

The only students that were possibly my age were Tomas and the girl I met at the stone pathway.

I’m tired of calling her that girl… What's her name?

Before I could ask Tomas to wait a moment so I could go up to the girl and ask her name, he yanked my arm towards him.

“Let’s go! Now! Come on! Now!!!” Tomas demanded

I seriously hate kids…

‘Alaric-’

Yeah, I know. I’ll try staying composed.

“Tomas, enough. I can walk on my own.” I shooed Tomas off of my arm.

“Come on, now!” Tomas didn’t seem to have anything urgent to show me or discuss, he just seemed really impatient and immature. 

I followed Tomas out of the doorway to outside. He was quiet for the moment, which made me feel genuine happiness. 

Well, that was until Tomas grabbed me by my arm again and sprinted towards a building behind the church. 

“Tomas!” I shouted. 

Tomas didn’t respond.

We approached this building that looked nearly the same as the classroom building, but it was fairly longer.

I didn’t get time to look around inside the building as soon as we entered because Tomas was gliding down the hall while still holding my arm.

He was fast. 

I was stumbling to keep on my feet as he wrenched through doors. 

I thought this would never end until he finally stopped.

I almost flew into a wall. 

“What the f-”

“Here!” 

Tomas pointed into a doorway.

I walked into this doorway where I found two beds sitting on opposite sides of a small room. There was one small window between the beds and a nightstand. 

There was only one unlit lantern.

“Tom-” Before I could ask Tomas if this was my room and whom I’d be sharing it with, he slammed the door behind me. 

Well… that’s one problem gone…

‘Hm.’

Suddenly, the door flew open behind me. It was Tomas, again.

“Wanna play with us?! Want to?!” 

“No.” 

“OK! We’re going to be outside!” 

“Shut up…” I said under my breath.

“HM?!” 

“Nothing. Go ahead.” I shooed Tomas off.

“OK!” 

Tomas slammed the door shut again. 

I really wanted to punch him in the face.

‘That kid has interesting mana.’ 

Are you suggesting-

‘No. That would be too suspicious. Speaking of which, you should find an execution in the city.’

Earl… is that how I’m going to get a mana capability? What would the people think if they see me filling a cup of someone’s blood and drinking it?

‘Young, young child.’ Earl teased

What? What is it?

‘There are a few things. Firstly, if this rumor is still about, it would be normal for you to take a cup of their blood.’

How so?

Earl sighed

‘It is rumored that drinking a cup of blood can cure seizures and mental illnesses-’

Therefore? 

Earl sighed, and it sounded as if he was holding back on throwing insults at me for being impatient and letting him finish.

‘Citizens usually bring cups to executions to collect blood from the criminals after their death. Therefore, it would be normal for you to bring a cup and drink their blood.’

I see… and depending on the offense… I could find a criminal with an excellent mana capability. 

‘Yes. Because this city is so big, there are executions being held nearly everyday throughout its parts.’

Hm…

The fact that I had to see another person die in front of my very own eyes was overshadowed by my enthusiasm. 

I was born and grew into death. 

My life has been nothing but constant death so far.

It still is disturbing, but it’s necessary. 

And what’s necessary, must be done.

5