67-Sleepless Night
78 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Inside the brothel, Kayla set down her emptied cup and smiled politely at the dancer draped over her lap. The young woman looked to have some Turkish ancestry, but not enough that it was very obvious. She was beautiful enough that the proprietor evidently didn’t care.

“Minister, can Lan’er play you a song?” The dancer asked sweetly. Kayla nodded her acceptance. It was sure to add to the already-expensive bill, but Kayla was prepared to throw in as much money as needed. If Wenyuan’s reputation could be fixed by tossing coins at the problem, then it was more than worth it.

Lan’er got up, maximizing physical contact with Kayla as she did so, retrieving a Turkish string instrument. She played a simple melody, the other girls at the table and Hu Qing giving encouraging nods.

“That’s a very nice melody,” Kayla complimented Lan’er, who set down the instrument with a smile.

“The Minister is much too kind,” a voice cut in. “This little wench really does not deserve such praise.” A handsome Turkish woman in her forties had approached during the song, flanked by two young women who were dressed in noticeably more expensive outfits than the dancers. The woman had a domineering aura and radiated charisma that outshone the allures of the younger women around her. Lan’er paled and hastily bowed her head, shuffling away from her spot at Kayla’s side.

“Madam, Lan'er apologizes for her unworthy performance,” Lan’er said in a small voice.

“Greetings, madam,” Kayla said politely. “This is quite a lovely establishment you have here.”

“Such kind words, Minister. This lowly one is Aida, the proprietor of this humble establishment. We’re honored to receive your presence tonight, though I am ashamed for the lackluster performance of my girls,” the madam said, bowing her head slightly.

“You’re much too humble on their behalf, madam. The girls have done wonderfully, I am very pleased with their service,” Kayla replied, knowing better than to take the madam’s words seriously. The entire interaction was obviously staged, but Kayla didn’t mind. Her goal had been reaching the madam from the start, though as a Minister, she couldn’t simply seek out the madam herself.

“The Minister is a man who refines himself in solitude, how can I dare to provide anything but the absolute best that I have to offer? These girls are only an appetizer, please allow me to offer you a private performance,” the madam said smoothly. “I promise you, once you have experienced the sea, you will no longer settle for the water. We will strive to bring you the utmost satisfaction.”

That doesn’t sound good, Kayla’s smile grew a little bit strained. She glanced at Hu Qing, hoping for some help.

“Minister, you truly are fortunate! The fairies of the night are elusive and whimsical, to receive their favor is a one-in-a-thousand chance. Minister, you must accept,” Hu Qing said dramatically. She could tell he was holding back his laughter despite his earnest expression.

Kayla felt a rush of exasperation but gave in at Hu Qing’s encouraging look.

He knows what he’s doing, might as well go along with it.

“Since the madam has already said so, how could I possibly think of refusing your kindness? I gratefully accept,” Kayla said. Hu Qing’s smirk grew wider, and the two young women on either side of the madam approached to pull Kayla to her feet, flanking her as they followed the madam with Hu Qing trailing behind.

Madam Aida led them into a room that was even more lavishly decorated than the performance stage, inviting them to sit. She clapped twice, and the two young women poured out drinks for Kayla and Hu Qing before spinning into a dance.

“What a lovely dance,” Kayla said appreciatively before glancing at Hu Qing, who directed her gaze towards the madam.

“Madam, we appreciate your hospitality,” Kayla said, reaching into her sleeves and withdrawing several gold bars. “Please do accept my token of gratitude.”

Kayla slid the gold bars across the table towards the madam, who placed her hand over Kayla’s.

“Minister, you are much too generous, how on earth can I accept such a heavy gift?

“A proper price is necessary for the proper services,” Kayla said meaningfully.

“Then I must certainly follow through on my end,” Madam Aida replied, catching on to Kayla’s unspoken request. “Tell me, Minister, what would please you?”

Kayla nodded at Hu Qing, signaling for him to take over.

“This is a popular establishment, surely all kinds of whispers find their way through your doors,” Hu Qing prompted. The madam’s smile widened.

“Of course, and is there anything specific that the Minister wishes to know of?” Madam Aida asked.

“The minister commands the Court of Judicial Review and has access to the palace’s confidence, what information could he be lacking?” Hu Qing replied. “I speak of your ability to influence rumors, madam. Your girls contribute to the whispers that flow through the district of flowers, do they not?”

The madam tilted her head curiously. “Minister, with how much the girls enjoyed your patronage tonight, the rumors of your visit are sure to spread regardless of my intervention, please be assured of that. In good conscience, I dare not accept a reward for that which I did not earn.”

“Oh, of course, with such a hefty bill, there’s no doubt that the rumors will spread. But not just on this matter, madam. We wish to acquire a long-term partnership with you,” Hu Qing said with a charming smile.

“You would ask me to spread rumors on your behalf, Minister?” Madam Aida directed the question at Kayla, who nodded back.

“I ensure that it will be a profitable undertaking for you and yours, madam,” Kayla said. “I am reserved by nature, and it is difficult for me to openly engage in discussion with my fellow officials. My words come out stilted and jarring, and it seems that I have a natural knack for grating on the nerves of my colleagues. But I’m sure that what I wish to express would be much better received if spoken by the charming young ladies at this establishment. In light of my own incapabilities, I must humbly ask for your assistance.”

It was true enough that Kayla was ostracized in court, but more importantly, no one could pick trouble with the reasoning Kayla had provided. Even if the madam refused and went around blabbing about Kayla's offer, rather than being accused of spreading conspiracies, Kayla would only be seen as an ostracized official who had trouble getting along with her peers. It might invoke some ridicule but couldn't lead to legal persecution.

Hu Qing’s smile grew even wider at that, his eyes glittering with a gleeful light.

“Minister, you really are much too modest. Who in the capital does not know of the court’s shining star? It is shocking that a man such as you, who is handsome, generous, and accomplished, and furthermore hails from an illustrious line, would struggle to captivate the hearts of your peers,” Madam Aida replied in a flattering tone. “Nonetheless, how can I possibly refuse your request? But it does stand that we are limited in ability and influence, and we dare not promise more than we can achieve.”

“Never mind that, madam. The minister is very generous, and that is something that I can attest to. Your reward will be on the basis of your efforts, not your successes, and you will not be hounded for your failures. In terms of an employer, I can recommend no better man than the one before you,” Hu Qing said. In other words, Kayla wouldn’t abuse her power to screw over the brothel in case they failed to live up to expectations. The madam nodded, looking somewhat assured.

“Then if the Minister is willing to bestow his patronage upon this undeserving establishment, we would be grateful to accept,” Madam Aida said. “Needless to say, our dealings will be confidential, you can be certain of this.”

Once the madam gave her agreement, Kayla held the upper hand.

“I am, we would not have approached you if you were someone with a loose tongue,” Kayla said, careful not to intonate it as a threat. The power imbalance was completely in her favor, if she so wanted, Kayla could repeatedly launch investigations into the brothel until it was brought to ruin. She wouldn’t, but the threat of it would be enough to ensure that the madam could neither refuse nor betray Kayla’s confidence. Unlike Qu Boyong, the madam was tied down by her assets and fortune, all of which would be at stake should she have second thoughts about double-crossing Kayla.

“This lowly one is humbled by your confidence. If I may ask, was there something that the Minister had in mind?” Madam Aida asked.

Kayla nodded. “First of all, I wish to counter the rumors aimed at slandering my name.”

“Of course, if you don’t mind, please leave the specifics of dealing with such a thing to us,” Madam Aida said smoothly. “We are well-experienced in this regard.”

“The madam covers up affairs when necessary,” Hu Qing softly explained to Kayla, while Madam Aida politely pretended that she couldn’t hear him.

“Wonderful, that’s exactly what I needed. As for my second request, it is a bit more specific,” Kayla said. She nodded for Hu Qing to take over.

“We wish to make use of the current rumors to a certain degree,” Hu Qing said. “To customize it, if you will.”

“Of course, please go on,” Madam Aida said.

“The Minister is a man who is reticent and shy by nature, and has focused on his work and scholarly pursuits rather than pleasures of the flesh or cunning plots and entrapments. However, there is some truth to the rumors currently being spread, while the Minister himself refused to engage in sordid transactions of any sort, the Grand Duke has repeatedly attempted to coerce his heir into illicit engagements in order to benefit himself,” Hu Qing said.

Madam Aida’s eyebrows shot up as she realized that they were redirecting the smear campaign to the Grand Duke.

“A bold and unorthodox choice, Minister. But if I have correctly guessed, this is sure to have the intended effect,” Madam Aida said delicately.

“There is another man,” Hu Qing jumped in. “A man by the name of Qu Boyong.”

“Oh? An interesting name. What manner of man is he?” Madam Aida asked.

“A servant, one who was treated with great generosity and trust, but proved traitorous and unworthy of all the favor he has received,” Hu Qing replied.

“Do tell me more,” Madam Aida urged.

“A young man who entered the Minister’s service but foolishly sought to destroy his master in exchange for a promotion that he did not earn or deserve, all while enjoying the handsome salary and benefits that the Minister provided,” Hu Qing said dramatically. “A most faithless and cunning man who attempted to seduce unmarried young serving maids into his bed, ruining their marriage prospects while refusing all responsibility. The Minister was fooled by his show of loyalty and his falsehoods of caring for an impoverished and belittled household, but even upon the betrayal of his most trusted servant, the Minister gave Qu Boyong his severance pay and his wages for the month.”

Hu Qing had come up with an extremely embellished version of the truth, amplifying Qu Boyong's faults while minimizing his virtues, but it was true enough that Qu Boyong wouldn't be able to wiggle out of this. It was a bit of a stretch to turn Qu Boyong's meeting a girl at night into a case of seducing young women, but it was true that no marriage requests had been made, so it could also be interpreted that way.

“What generosity and goodwill towards a most undeserving man! And if I may ask, what is the nature of this man’s betrayal?” Madam Aida asked.

“A cruel and heartless one, he would knowingly spout falsehoods to blacken his master’s reputation, twisting the Grand Duke’s repulsive actions and the Minister’s own righteousness into slanderous rumors in order to discredit the Minister, as well as the Court of Judicial Review,” Hu Qing replied.

Kayla maintained her polite smile, a little amazed at Hu Qing’s performance. What a drama queen, she mentally exclaimed, delighted and horrified in equal measure.

“Terrible, for such a misfortune to befall such a generous man,” Madam Aida sighed, just as performatively. “We would be happy to deal with this for you, Minister.”

“I would be much obliged,” Kayla said politely. The conversation turned towards a discussion of recompense, Hu Qing taking over the negotiations, haggling skillfully until a final deal was reached. A written contract was drafted up and signed, with a copy to be left with each party.

The visit finally drew to an end, with both parties in high spirits. Kayla had gotten hold of a rumor machine, and her private meeting with the madam would likely be interpreted in her favor as well, while the madam had gotten ahold of a rich and powerful client’s promise of a long-term deal.

On the carriage back, Kayla’s good mood slowly wore off, replaced by a feeling of extreme weariness.

“Who do you think that young girl was?” Hu Qing asked.

“Who knows? Probably the daughter of some Turkic merchant, or maybe a noble of some sort,” Kayla replied.

Hu Qing lit up with a wicked grin, looking extremely amused. Kayla glanced at him askance, sensing that he didn’t have anything good to say.

“What?” Kayla asked warily. “What is it? Stop looking at me like that.”

“Did you not hear her self-introduction?” Hu Qing asked gleefully.

“I heard her just fine, didn’t she say her name was Xichun?” Kayla asked in confusion.

“Well, the heavens have their own plans,” Hu Qing said to himself. “Nevermind, Minister. Don’t worry about that and get some rest, let the rumor mill do its job.”

“I do have some doubts about using Qu Boyong in the rumors,” Kayla said. “That guy’s hardly going to sit back and let this happen. If he can stir up the rumors once, he can do it twice, can’t he?”

“We have the advantage in resources,” Hu Qing replied, not seeming worried in the least. “The thing that actually bothers me is that I’m almost certain that Qu Boyong isn’t a real name. I mean, who would name their kid that? Something else from the Chu Poems would make sense, sure, but why the name of the poet’s father?”

Kayla sighed. “Then those rumors will be for nothing?”

“No, it’ll still drag him into the spotlight at a time when he’s trying to lie low. You already got the palace on his tail by dragging in Sir Yang, but this way, you’ll be able to prevent yourself from getting played. After all, the palace only shares what it wants to,” Hu Qing reasoned. “There’s no telling if they’ll let him go on and do whatever if they find him useful, but where does that leave you? It’s better to take matters into our own hands.”

“You have a point. In any case, the Grand Duke will have his hands full. The Imperial Investigation Bureau’s breathing down his neck, and now the capital’s scrutiny will be leveled on him,” Kayla said. “Hopefully, it’ll keep him off and turn public opinion in my favor. The more people think that the Grand Duke is unqualified as a grandfather, the easier it’ll be for me from here on.”

Hu Qing gave Kayla a look of sympathy, tinged with the fascination of someone watching a soap drama. Kayla steadily ignored him, her mind wandering back to Qu Boyong.

“The Chu Poems, indeed, Qu Boyong's name takes after Qu Yuan’s writings. But is that a clue or a false alarm?” Kayla muttered.

“It could be either, maybe even both,” Hu Qing replied.

Kayla’s mind flashed back to the Li Sanjin case and Qu Boyong’s visit to the Zhao household under the cloak of nightfall. Pieces were starting to come together in her head, but she couldn’t quite make sense of it just yet.

“There’s a serving maid who used to be my personal servant,” Kayla said thoughtfully. “Her name is Chujiao. Her original name was Jing Shuyou.”

“Another name from the Chu Poems,” Hu Qing noted. “In fact, it’s a little on the nose. Chujiao? Who even came up with that?”

“My mother,” Kayla replied.

“Nevermind. But it is quite a coincidence, isn’t it?”

“Yes, indeed. What a coincidence.” Kayla’s voice darkened as she thought back to the red jade necklace that had pointed out Chujiao as the servant who betrayed Wenyuan to Xianchun.

Is it really a coincidence? The thought had occurred to Kayla before but had never quite formed into a theory. Now, however, she could no longer afford to overlook any details.

“You said she used to be your personal servant, as in she’s no longer in that role?” Hu Qing asked.

“I removed her on an unfounded suspicion, she works as a secretary in the Outer Quarters these days,” Kayla explained.

“Unfounded? Very interesting,” Hu Qing said. “Should I look into her as well?”

“If you can spare the effort, please do so,” Kayla said grimly.

Chujiao cares enough to try and warn us when the Grand Duke was making a move, but a person can care a lot about many different people, and who knows where we rank on her priorities? Better safe than sorry.

“Sure, I’ll do that. You should just focus on Hu Weizhi for the time being, and whatever political things that require your attention. I’ll deal with Qu Boyong and that servant of yours,” Hu Qing said comfortingly.

Kayla nodded her thanks.


Minister Liang held a letter in his hands, staring at it with incomprehension. He had shut himself in his office at the Liang household, working late both due to necessity and also to avoid his wife, who was in a foul mood after fighting with one of his concubines. The letter he was currently holding had rather disturbingly appeared on the windowsill while Minister Liang was right inside the room, and yet none of the guards seemed to have sensed anything.

“Goddamnit, is there a ghost or something?” Minister Liang grumbled, unrolling the small sheet of paper. He read the words on the paper, stilling as they registered in his mind before he involuntarily gave a shudder.

The letter was a simple message of two sentences, along with a communication talisman that had been folded in. Minister Liang felt cold sweat bead on his neck as he stared at the letter. After a long moment of indecision, he activated the communication talisman with trembling hands.

It connected immediately, a high-class talisman that must’ve cost a hefty amount to procure.

“Who is this?” Minister Liang demanded before the other party could speak.

“Be at ease, Minister. I mean no harm.” The voice on the other end of the talisman was gravelly and had a strange sound to it that hinted at the use of a voice-modification spell.

“Who are you and how do you know about Liang Hongfei?” Minister Liang asked insistently, glancing uneasily at the letter.

“To the son of a concubine who has usurped Liang Hongfei, the rightful heir, I send my regards. If you wish to retain your seat, activate this talisman.” Despite its brevity, it felt like a sharp blade pressed against his neck. The Liang family was extremely discreet and had a high degree of internal cohesion after the disasters that had befallen them in the past when the clan had been persecuted on false charges. No one would have betrayed the clan like this, not even Liang Hongfei himself.

“Why, Minister, there is nothing new beneath the sun. And it’s certainly not as though you pulled it off as flawlessly as you believed you had, the palace knows, do they not?” The voice asked patiently.

Minister Liang hadn't actually been certain of that before but had always suspected it. Minister Liang grit his teeth. “So you’re from the palace?”

“You have no need to fear me, Minister. If you are willing to cooperate with me, your family’s internal affairs will remain a secret, buried beneath the various scandals that emerge every day in this city. More so than that, you will attain merit for yourself and a sharp blade for your prince,” the voice said comfortingly, not at all comforting Minister Liang in the slightest.

“Insolent! How dare you insinuate that I am to be bought? I have no loyalty to anyone but the Emperor!” Minister Liang snapped, his heart pounding in fear.

“We can go with whatever claims you prefer, but you really should consider the offer that I bring. I have no wish to blackmail you, Minister. This was only a greeting gift to show you my capabilities,” the voice said. “Soon, the Ministry of Justice will receive a case that can shift the entire balance of power in the court. Should you pursue this case with your full efforts and discretion, you will have what it takes to end the Zhao clan. In addition, I will give you what you need to end the Shu clan and attack the Xue and Cao clans.”

Minister Liang’s heart skipped a beat.

“Just who are you to offer me this?” Minister Liang asked in a shaking voice. “What case do you speak of?”

“Rest assured, Minister, that you will only be doing this country a service, and persecuting evil as your honor and position demand. I am but a man seeking justice for those who were wronged, and you will not regret helping me. The case I speak of will become evident to you shortly, you will know it once you see it. As for the information, it is best that you do not ask how it was obtained, but know that you will have enough to rout the Third Prince’s faction for good. No tree can live without its roots, and that is the state that the Third Prince’s faction will be rendered to once the maternal families of the princes and the Third Prince’s in-laws are destroyed,” the voice assured him.

Minister Liang gnashed his teeth, feeling frustration and excitement in equal measure. “This is ridiculous! I do not even know who you are or what you are aiming for, how on earth can I trust you?”

“You need not to, Minister. As I said, I have no wish to blackmail you, but I also will not hesitate to stoop to it if necessary. Currently, the ill will of the court and the capital are directed not towards the princes, nor the Ministers, but toward the Zhao clan. But you know how fickle people’s attentions can be, your carefully cultivated reputation will be destroyed should it come to light how you became the head of the Liang clan,” the voice said.

“You bastard! How dare you?!” Minister Liang snarled. “Do you think that you will remain outside of my reach?!”

“Don’t be foolish, Minister. Do you think Liang Hongfei is the only card I have? Not just you, but your prince, and the other members of your faction, I can easily destroy any one of you. If you know what’s good for you, bring my offer to your master and do as I say. You will only benefit,” the voice urged.

“You would threaten the prince?!”

“I would do whatever I deem necessary in order to see justice done. It has been denied to me too long, and I will not be made to wait any longer,” the voice said coldly. “You have nothing to lose and everything to gain, do not be stubborn.”

“Even if I am willing, there’s no telling what Zhang Dingyong would do. He is the Right Secretariat, and the Third Prince’s man,” Minister Liang protested.

“I have my ways to handle him. Once we are through, I will give you what you need to destroy him as well,” the voice promised.

“Listen here–”

“Do not forget that I am not asking anything illegal, nor immoral. I only ask that you not overlook the case for fear of the court, and I am more than willing to properly repay you for your courage. I have raised the toast to you, Minister. You should not doubt that I will pour out the punishment drink next, it is up to you which you wish to drink.”

With that, the communication talisman deactivated from the other end, crumbling into dust in Minister Liang’s hands. He stared at the pile of dust for a while before letting it fall through his fingers and onto the desk.

“Good heavens,” Minister Liang muttered with dread. “Another storm has come, and it arrives cloaked in shadows. Just how far will all this go?”

After a moment of blank silence, Minister Liang got up and opened the door, stepping out into the corridor. He glanced around and waved over a serving maid.

“Go tell the horsemen to prepare the carriage,” he ordered. The serving maid blinked at him in confusion.

“Minister, this late at night? It’s almost midnight,” She asked.

“Do I need to say it twice?! Go!” Minister Liang snapped. The serving maid stammered out an apology and bowed her head, scurrying off.

His personal servant approached in a quick stride, hurrying down the corridor to catch up with Minister Liang as the man made his way towards the gates.

“Minister, where are you heading at this hour?” The servant asked, sensing that there was something off.

“The Seventh Prince’s household,” Minister Liang grit out through a clenched jaw.

“Minister, but–”

“This is urgent,” Minister Liang cut him off. “I need to act immediately.”

His personal servant remained quiet for a moment before bowing his head slightly. “Understood, Minister. I’ll fetch your cloak.”

Minister Liang nodded his thanks, letting out a deep sigh as he stepped into the night air. It was destined to be a sleepless night, and even the moon’s forgiving light would not be enough to soothe the worries of those who knew no rest.


Cultural Notes

如此厚重/Such thick/heavy [gift/favor]: The term 厚重/thick and heavy is often used to describe overwhelming favor/social or moral debt that you cannot repay. Note that this does not apply to economic debt. A common application of this is 天恩厚重/Heavenly favor is overwhelmingly heavy, used to describe the Emperor bestowing immense favor upon you that you cannot repay, with the implicit meaning that you will strive to repay it with every inch of your life but will still be unworthy.

木讷/Wooden, awkward: A Chinese term often used to describe someone who's like a block of wood in social interactions, aka. someone who is socially awkward/slow on the uptake. It's obvious to everyone involved in the conversation that this term does not apply to Kayla in the least, but being overly modest never hurts, and it's also an excellent excuse, so no one would object to it.

洁身自好/Refines oneself in solitude: An Ancient Chinese proverb from the pre-Qin era, originating from a quote by Mencius. This proverb is used to describe someone who does not go along with the flow but rather refines their own virtues without caring about or mingling with degenerates.

年少有为/Accomplished at a young age: A Chinese proverb used to describe a young person as promising and accomplished for their age. Generally used to imply that they will climb even higher from here on rather than peaking and going downhill.

才貌出众/[Having] extraordinary looks and talents: An Ancient Chinese proverb that is used to describe someone who is extraordinarily good-looking and talented, can be used for both men and women.

狡诈之徒/One of a sly and treacherous disposition: An Ancient Chinese proverb used to criticize a person's immoral and cunning character.

仙女/Fairies: Rather different from the Western concept of fairies, Chinese fairies stem from the Taoist tradition. They are generally depicted as extremely beautiful, graceful, and kind, being immortal and free of the desires that torment humans. Notably, they have no wings, though they can still fly (just accept that they can defy gravity, don't worry too much about the physics of it). It is often used as a compliment to compare a young woman to a fairy in order to praise her beauty without being too blatant about it.

敬酒不吃吃罚酒/Refuse the toast to drink the punishment wine: An Ancient Chinese proverb that means to refuse to cooperate only to be forced into it anyways. Stems from the tradition of "punishment drinks/penalty drinks" at banquets, but taking a step back, it also overlaps with the tradition of "gifting" poison wine to subjects to order/force them into committing suicide. While this proverb does not directly refer to the more morbid option, there is a certain degree of connection there that remains unspoken.

暗流涌动/Hidden currents are raging: An Ancient Chinese proverb used to describe that shit was going down in the shadows, with the implication that it would invoke chaos once it came into the light.

3