Chapter 14
439 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Malfoy Mansion, 16th August 1973.

Ting, Ting... (mixing tea sound)

Mixing tea with a spoon, Abraxas Malfoy hands a cup to his son who is sitting at his desk in the office.

"Very well, Lucius. I'm very proud of you for proving yourself competent in managing some of our businesses. But you understand that now that you've graduated the responsibilities will be much greater, right?" Abraxas says with a smirk.

Don't Bother Lucius arrogantly replies, "I'll fulfill everything that's given to me... Forgetting this administrative nonsense, when will I have a voice in Wizengamot?"

"You're very impatient, Lucius...", taking a sip of his tea Abraxas continued: "In case you don't remember, I'm still the head of the family."

"Of course I dare not forget, father," says Lucius with venom and emphasizing the word 'father'.

"His fiancee Narcissa will soon be 17 and

you will consummate your union. The alliance with the Black family is of utmost importance..." Sucking in the air briefly at remembering something, Abraxas says angrily: "Those filthy blood traitors will soon all be purged as they deserve. The Black family is one of the few respectable ones who didn't mix with those mudblood ones."

Lucius says with a disgusted face after hearing the word 'mudblood', "Happy will be the day we have them all on the soles of our feet, their rightful place."

"Soon... The Dark Lord has high hopes for you, Lucius. I hope you know that he will demand something from you in return.", Abraxas warns.

"I know that he has all my loyalty at his disposal," Lucius replies eagerly.

Abraxas shakes his head in disagreement, "I don't mean this, you will need something more substantial to please him."

"Ohh, sure...well...Er, I've been working to win people to his cause and... There's a talented boy I'm trying to put under my protection. He needs some more advice, but I'm confident he can bring it to our side," Lucius explains.

"Oh?" Curious Abraxas asks.

"He's only half-blood, but he's been a potions genius since freshman year. Smart in almost every other matter, he's sure to be very useful to our cause." Looking at the office bookshelf, Lucius continues: "I haven't been able to convince him yet, however, I left Avery and Mulciber in charge of putting some sense into his head. Don't worry, he'll soon hear the voice of reason."

"umm... if you say the boy is really worth the effort... I'm sure it will be useful for the Dark Lord," Contemplates Abraxas.

-------x-------x-------x-------x--------x-------x- ------

Hogwarts Selection Ceremony, September 1, 1973.

After disembarking, Severus, Lily, and the others separated to sit at the tables of their respective homes. It took a lot of effort for Severus not to choke Potter's neck, seeing the rogue approaching Lily made him agitated. Potter tried to sit beside her, but luckily she refused.

Lifting his lips in contemplation, the dark-haired boy said in his mind, 'You will soon have my gift, Potter... When you least expect it you will know despair.'

Looking to the right of his seat, Severus looks at his new target, Regulus Black, from afar.

Severus didn't know much about the taciturn boy, but his instincts told him that befriending him would have its benefits.

Although he was the despicable Sirius' brother, in the name of usefulness Severus could forget about it.

The interactions between Regulus and Sirius at Hogwarts were almost nil, Severus could begin to exploit this fact, assuming they didn't get along.

The sound of silverware hitting a glass tumbler sounded in the lobby. Everyone looked at the teacher's table.

"Now that the students from the first have been selected for their homes. I have important announcements to tell you tonight! All of you welcome your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Mr. Abil Macanoff."

Everyone applauds on receiving him, then Dumbledore raises his hand silencing the lobby.

"Unfortunately Professor Travis from last year had a strong allergic reaction to a bite from Murtisco and couldn't be with us this year. But he sends out to tell everyone that he's getting better" says Dumbledore before continuing:

"Now... I'm afraid I have to broach a sensitive subject, rumors of a certain dark wizard have been causing panic and division among our houses."

Whispers among the students at the tables began as Dumbledore continued...

"No attacks on Muggleborn students will be allowed this year, severe punishments will be meted out for those who do not respect this. Remember, the greatest danger does not come from what comes out of our wand tips, but from what we hold and reserve in our hearts. From there can come hate, rancor, anger, and destruction. But on the other hand, it can be an inexhaustible source of fellowship, honor, and compassion."

Every household except Slytherin applauds Dumbledore's impassioned speech.

Dumbledore at that moment looks into Severus' eyes, a slight glint flashed in his eyes, and then goes back to making his announcement.

"And lastly, I'm reminding you that students are not allowed in the forbidden forest and I wish you all a good meal."

The food 'magically' materializes when Dumbledore waves his hand.

6