Chapter 21
383 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Slytherin dormitory, 18 September 1973.

Early in the morning.

A few days have passed since the afternoon at the lake. The Marauders haven't bothered Severus since then and it felt like a calm before the storm.

Every day when possible, Severus would sneak into the room to improve his spells and spellcasting. He had created some spells like 'Levicorpus' but never used it at Hogwarts as he still didn't know how to use it nonverbally. After all, it would be shameful if they used his creation spell against himself, people would steal the spell if they listened.

Sitting cross-legged on the bed, Severus, eyes closed, meditates. Controlling emotions is one of the requirements of occlumency, you must learn to identify the intrusion and choose what to show or not show the intruder.

Like a dream, Severus' consciousness sees a blurry yellow image, surrounded by a dark and silent emptiness. In that 'dream' he didn't have a body and seemed to 'see' all angles in 360 degrees.

It is not the first time he has seen the illusion, it becomes stronger and sharper with the advance of occlumency. None of that is described in the books and Severus had no idea what he was.

Except for potions, the arts of the mind is the topic that fascinates him the most. It would be a lie to say that he is not eager to find out what this 'dream' is, but anxiety will only make advancement impossible. After all, occlumency is self-control and there is no room for despair.

Getting out of bed, Severus starts his stretches before his physical exercises. Today he would try another aspect of the arts of mind he had been studying, Legimency. Unlike occlumency, Severus will need some guinea pig to try and he already had his target.

Heading towards the kitchen, Severus hums happily. Hallways are empty and poorly lit. due to the recent sunrise, the students were still sleeping.

"Bissy, glad I found you. Could you make me a batch of scrambled eggs, bacon, and pumpkin juice?" Severus asks.

An emotional house-elf reply, "Bissy is honored to help the wizard Severus, sir. Bissy will do as you ask."

Smiling he says, "Thank you so much, Bissy!"

After receiving the meals, Severus continues to chat a little with the happy elf. Someone's presence is noticed by Severus' senses, but he pretends not to notice it.

Finished eating, Severus decides to go after his hiding guest. Walking at a moderate pace towards the dorms, Severus abruptly turns and points his wand towards a statue.

"I know you're there! Show up!" Severus says loudly.

A few seconds passed, the individual seemed to be deciding whether to reveal or not."

"How did you know I was there?" The question in a voice of disbelief Regulus.

"It doesn't matter! Why were you doing watching me?" Severus inquires.

The sullen Slytherin says, "I ended up waking up earlier today and I happened to see you leaving the common room," and continues with a sneer: "I went to see what the new rising celebrity was going to do so soon."

"Ohh? Sounds like a weak excuse to me. Next time introduce yourself or don't blame me if I hurt you. After all, I don't like people spying on me, understand?" Warns Severus.

With a frown, Regulus nods in agreement. A glint of indecision comes into his eyes as if he wants to say something.

In Slytherin, the rule of revering the strong is even clearer. It would be a lie to say that Regulus was not impressed by Severus' air of authority and abilities.

"Why do you get involved with that mudblood?" Regulus asks with disgust.

"I think you better watch your next words, boy! She has a name if you don't know," says Severus with venom.

Regulus is silent, not caring about the threat and waiting for the answer.

Severus didn't know why Regulus's sudden interest in conversation. The sullen boy seems to be the type who doesn't like conversations and had to have some explanation for his behavior.

Severus mutters to himself: "Unless..." Looking at Regulus he replies: "I don't care about bloody nonsense and you idiots are following a lunatic. Tell me Regulus, a man who can kill so many in cold blood, who plan to enslave many lives," before he could finish the speech he was interrupted.

Mocking Regulus says, "Too many lives? They are mudblood and are inferior to us."

Severus laughing doesn't mind the term 'Mudblood' and says: "Now take my point, boy. When this lunatic has conquered everyone and gets bored. Who will be his next victims? Do you think your 'kingdom' would be wonderful? The so-called pure-blood would just be lackeys, half-bloods treated like garbage and magical creatures worse than garbage."

When spoken the words 'magical creatures' a strange look came over Regulus. Severus smiles at that information inwardly and decides to test the waters.

"YOU LIE! He will bring a new era of prosperity and we will be royalty!" Regulus rages.

Unfazed by Regulus' anger, Severus continues speaking with a slight smile: "I'm lying huh? Well... let's see then, Black's most ancient and noble house is very powerful, isn't it?"

Not understanding where Severus was going, Regulus says angrily: "Yes, but what does all this have to do with!"

Opening a smile Severus says: "Calm down, we're getting there... The blacks are a traditionalist type, a proud and Pure-blood family. The ideal type of the Dark Lord, of course, I'm not judging whether they are followers or not ... As an old family, you must be quite wealthy, isn't that right?" Stopping for a moment Severus continued: "With that I assume you would have a house elf. Tell me, how is your family's treatment of house-elves?"

Stunned Regulus doesn't respond, he looks down darkly and ponders this.

Not leaving the boy alone, Severus continues: "Now, imagine the Dark Lord. A madman who follows the concept that pureblood wizards are superior to all. What would become of these 'humble' creatures in the hands of the dark lord and your followers?" he asked.

Remaining in silence Regulus meditates.

Turning his back and walking away, Severus says last: "You may not believe me if you want! But the evidence is very visible for anyone to see."

Regulus raises his head and stares at the figure of Severus walking away.

...

Hogwarts outdoor patio, afternoon.

A group of students on a wheel were playing gobstones. The lively contest had many spectators, a Ravenclaw against a chubby Gryffindor. The score between them was pretty much the same, before decision time came... The gryffindor wins.

A girl who was among the spectators goes to meet the winner. "Peter, you were amazing! I knew you would win," says the Hufflepuff girl.

Cheeks red, Peter says, "Th...thanks, Mia!"

"Seriously, you're really good at this! I don't know how you do it." she says excitedly.

Peter reddened with shyness is silent as the two walks back to the castle together.

Mia, not aware of her friend's feelings, shyly asks, "Peter..."

Breaking his shyness, Peter asks curiously: "What?"

"Er... Well, has Sirius ever asked about me? What to say..." Mia asks shyly and then tries to justify herself: "Not that I care about him... You know."

Hearing Mia's interest, Peter grows dark. The boy never dared to declare himself, but hearing the object of his affection interested in his 'friend' hurt his feelings a lot.

Awkwardly and not wanting to hurt her, he says with his head down, "Er... I don't think so. I haven't been talking to him much lately."

A look of sadness comes into Mia's eyes, but she doesn't say anything else.

What Peter didn't know was that there was a pair of eyes watching him from the shadows.

6