Chapter 49: An Odd… friendship?
565 1 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

-You're late! (???)

-Since when do you care so much about punctuality? Stop being an ass!

- Is it just me or your character gets worse every year? (???)

- I am about to start my life as a shinobi, I need to be good at trash talk. Can't be seen as a pushover at the academy.

- Trash talk? Why does a shinobi need that...you know what, forget it. I'm so hungry. (???)

- Me too! Just wished Teuchi-san would make something besides ramen for once. I need to talk to him about business principles.

- If he did that, the store wouldn't be called, Ichiraku's ramen anymore. You're so dumb sometimes. Haha(???)

- What!?... I will let it go this time... I am starving as well.  Your stupidity is too much to bother with (...at least right now, I'll make you pay later).

- I know! I al-!? Hey!!! (???)

- No time, let's go!

- Grrr....*Grumble* Oooo I am starving. (???)- said the boy while touching his grumbling belly. He had saved money from his food budget for a few days in order to eat ramen.

Homura did not let the other boy gather his thoughts and entered the shop.

Needless to say that the other boy in question was Uzumaki Naruto.

The main protagonist of the worldwide hit series called Naruto!

At least, in Homura's previous world.

Beloved by many all around the world.

He was an inspiration to many since the boy never let go of his dreams and fought teeth and nails to make it possible.

But he was also known as a cheater due to many factors outside of his direct involvement and borderline inconsiderate.

A few of the titles or things that he has been reproached about by his detractors are for being the son of the 4th Hokage, reincarnated son of the sage of six paths, Sasuke's real lover, Boruto's dad, Ninja jesus, the undisputed master of talk no jutsu, and the guy who called the murderer of his parents a "great" guy.

The list could go on and on but at the end of the day, those things are just nitpicks.

Not that most of that, anything that was listed did matter to Homura.

Here, he was just good old dumb*ss Naruto!

At least for now, that is what Homura thought about his so-called friend.

His relationship with Naruto was one of convenience... and he had not that many people he could hang out with anyway.

Plus, Naruto's antics... did somewhat amused him.

Naruto was many things but was not a boring individual at least from his perspective.

And after what happened with the Hinata Hyuga incident, Homura decided to never let Naruto too far away from his sight.

Not until they were students at the academy after that part was completed, everything else was flexible.

However, how Naruto felt about this relationship was an utter mystery to him.

Regardless, of what type of relationship these 2 have, Naruto and Homura entered the shop.

Which seemed, oddly enough to be as always, almost empty.

Even though they served food almost as cheap as dirt; when compared to other more known restaurants around.

For Naruto and Homura, the restaurant being that way was one of the reasons they enjoyed coming to eat there.

After taking their seats, both boys immediately ordered some ramen.

Naruto ordered several bowls as per usual.

However, Homura only ate 1, but the rest bowls around the counter were eaten by the yellow-haired youth.

- I swear... this shop feels always empty. Which is good for us but I am afraid for business.

- It's *slurp* not always *slurp* empty. Yesterday, when I came*gulp* *gulp* ahhh, there were *slurp* people.*slurppppppppppppppppppp*(Naruto)

- Be quiet!!! (jeez!! I swear this guy...Sometimes I want to throw him off a cliff) When will learn to stop eating and talking at the same time!? Everything about you is a mess! No wonder you forgot about applying to the entrance examination test for the academy.

- You b*stard! You forgot it too! Why do you always pretend to be better than everybody else?! (Naruto)

Homura had completely forgotten that there is an application period before the entrance exam.

If not for the other kids at the orphanage, the wannabe shinobi would have been delayed a few months back.

-I did not forget about the entrance exam! (lies) I didn't know that we had to register! (Truth) There's a big difference! Why would people that are about to fight for them have to bother applying first?! They should just be happy that idiots bring their kids to throw their lives away!

- it's not throwing their lives away! They are trying to become shinobis! (Naruto)

- More like forced! Bet those clans have quotas that they need to deploy each year. And don't get me started on the civilians!

...What Homura said is probably false, although it's likely there were a few individuals that were forced or a non-spoken agreement on the matter.

There exist several clans in Konoha that are no longer active or are not creating any more career shinobis.

-Aren't we civilians? (Naruto)

- We are orphans. It is either that or finding work as a farmer/apprenticeship in some useless trade. Not much of a choice!

-R-really?(Naruto)

- Do you work?

- No.(Naruto)

- Who do you think pays for your apartment?

-...? I don't know. I think it is gramps...? (Naruto)

- Not " Gramps"! The village pays for it!

- The village!? I had no idea. (Naruto)

-Why do you think the village pays for your apartment and foo?!

-Food as well? (But I receive money to eat from gramps...but gramps is the Hokage, so...he controls all the money?)...I didn't know that...but I heard it was for relief of families...and shinobis...? (Naruto)

-...I am not sure if that is the whole truth... but it is evident that they would not have relief money for everyone...the fact that so many orphans live in orphanages instead of the homes belonging to their deceased relatives is proof of that. Perhaps, the system is designed with casualties in mind, and that is why there is an entrance exam. The more people they have working for them, the more money will be needed to provide for families, thus keeping that number to a certain level allows for easier control of the shinobi army they can deploy at any time. Thus, decreasing the chance of people selling village secrets to other villages and the number of defectors.

-...? What...do you...mean exactly by all that? (Naruto)

-I am saying, that I think that they mainly support families or places that have a higher chance of producing shinobis. Thus, keeping a steady number of shinobis at all times.

-...hmm? That sounds complicated. (Naruto)

- Sure buddy. (Right, I forget that I am talking to a kid the degree of maturity of this world is messed up sometimes they act almost adult-like, and sometimes they are just dumb children)

During his talks with several local children and the ones who live in his orphanage, Homura, was surprised to find out how mature children can be in the village at times.

Perhaps it was due to culture or the high amount of dead relatives that have made some more mature than others.

It is not uncommon to find 8-year-old children running a business for someone else, a relative, or even start working as an apprentice.

Those children are usually better aware of the intricacies of the way the village is run or at least several policies.

-By the way, are you ready for next week? (Not that they would ever not allow you to not attend the academy. As their ultimate weapon.)

- what do I need to be ready for? (Naruto)

- True! You've always been pretty fit. (Good Genes and personally brainwashed by the hokage. No way you'd never not fit the desired profile... just not ANBU material)

- Yeah! I am a natural-born genius! No way I'm not becoming Hokage! Believe it! (Naruto)

- (Ha! There it is! His natural catchphrase...when did he start saying that?) Good luck with that, those clan kids are strong, especially the Uchihas.

- The Uchihas? (Naruto)

- You don't know of them?-said a truly surprised Homura.

- No...I don't think so...? (Naruto)

- (Did they avoid making contact with him after the Kyuubi incident?... But this is Naruto I am talking about, who really knows... He is the guy who came out of the academy and had to be reminded of the principles of chakra) well no matter, will see them when we get there.

- Yeah! I'll get to make new friends. (Naruto)

- Ouch! Message received loud and clear. Better for me though, you are a lot to handle.

- What?! I don't mean like that! You and I are best friends! (Naruto)

- Since when? You are not my best friend! (I am not even sure we are real friends) I simply tolerate your stupid ass!

- Teme! Fine! You will see! I will make so many friends that you will beg me to be part of my new circle of new friends! (Naruto)

- Sure buddy!...Because it has been working so great for you this far...

- That's it! I'm done with you! (Naruto)- said Naruto standing up and getting out of his seat.

Not only that, but he immediately ran away.

Naruto left the ramen shop, annoyed by how Homura always seemed to treat him like an idiot.

That had not changed ever since the 2 boys had first met, but Naruto had grown and became less gullible as time went on.

- Wait a sec? Naruto! Come back! You forgot to-!

As Homura was about to go to catch Naruto,

He was stopped by a very familiar hand on his shoulder.

- T-Teuchi san?! No! I wasn't dining and dashing, I was going to catch up to Naruto.

- Sorry Homura-kun, but I can't allow you to do that... (Teuchi)

He said while looking at several empty bowls of ramen stacked on the table.

- Eh? W-wait! At least let me just pay for what I ate! Only!

- No can't do again Homura-kun! You may have just cost me my biggest customer. I am being nice enough to let you go with this much!(Teuchi)

- Come on! There's no way that is true! That guy's brain and blood are probably half ramen by now! He eats enough for 2 fat guys! Not one, but 2! There's no way he is not coming back! Not even within the end of the week! I know it's true! You know it's true! Don't lie to me!

-...I wouldn't know. After all, I am running a pretty bad business and have no sense for business altogether; according to a certain someone. (Teuchi)

-  What?!!! (Did he overhear me saying that he was a bad businessman? Now that I think of it...weren't my portions a bit smaller than Naruto's? I thought I was just seeing things but...).....haha...*sigh*...(damn you naruto!)

Chapter end

21