Chapter-15 A Confusing Time In a Place That Doesn’t Exist
437 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

???'s Pov

Everything around me was pitch black. It felt like there was something I was supposed to be doing or someone I had to get back to. For the longest time I kept searching my memory for what I was doing here and why I wanted to leave, but in the end I couldn’t think of anything. So I continued to wait in the darkness doing absolutely nothing as I tried to recall who I was.

As time continued to pass, or at least I think it did, some objects started to appear from the darkness and upon looking at them I would remember something. I started looking forward to seeing these objects appear because it was the only thing that could alleviate my boredom.

At first most of the objects were just simple stuff that reminded me of mundane memories such as, “Hey remember that time you fell down and ripped a hole in these pants? Do you remember these toys you used to play with?” Sometimes the object I found and the memory I received were completely unrelated.

As I continued to regain these pointless memories the darkness slowly went away revealing a village. I was wondering why this village suddenly appeared when I heard a little girl shouting from behind me. I turned around and saw a house that I assumed the little girl was in. I peeked through a window that was open when I heard the little girl shout again.

“No, I don't want to go outside!”

I soon heard another gentle voice respond and upon hearing I felt nostalgic but I couldn’t recall why. “But if you go outside I’m sure you could have a lot of fun and make some friends.”

“I already said I don’t want to. All the other kids are annoying and boring to be around”

“What about that boy who came here earlier asking if you could play with him? Both of you like playing with the same toys.”

“When we play together we just end up doing the same stuff I would do by myself.”

“But surely there’s someone you like to play with? Someone you enjoy being around”

Before the little girl said anything I somehow felt like I already knew what she was thinking. I didn’t know why but I felt like we had the same thought process. We get deeply invested in things when it’s something different we know nothing about or when it seems interesting to us and we don’t care at all about anyone or anything that fails to catch our attention. While I was confident that we thought the same way I still wanted to hear the little girl say it, but before she could everything faded into darkness once again.


It seemed to take forever before objects started showing up again and some of them didn’t even help me regain my memories. Now back with plenty of time to spare inside this timeless void I started pondering why I was brought to that village and shown that girl. No matter how hard I thought about it, I couldn't come up with an answer. I could only hope that I would be shown something else that wouldn’t be as confusing.

The next object that appeared out of the darkness was a small crossbow and when I examined it I suddenly found myself inside some forest. It didn’t take long for me to find the same little girl I saw last time, but standing beside her now was a skinny man with grey hair. The man seemed to be teaching the little girl how to use the crossbow in order to hunt.

After the little girl had successfully hunted a fox the man started making small chat with her. “You’d make a fine hunter someday and I’d love to keep teaching you but are you sure you’d rather be hanging out with your old man rather than some other kids in the village?”

“Yes Dad, it's much more entertaining to go hunting with you rather than being near the other kids.”

“Well I’m honored to hear you say that but I still worry that you might be lonely without any friends to be around.”

“Dad, I already told Mom that I didn’t like playing with the others because they were boring to be around.”

“I know, I know but you should still at least pretend to be nice around them." I could barely hear what the man said next because he mumbled it. "Not very many people like it when you’re mentally different after all.” After the man had said that the world once again faded to darkness and I once again began to ponder what I just saw. It was now pretty clear that the little girl and I had a similar state of mind. But why was I being shown these events?


The frequency that the memory restoring objects appeared was drastically reduced and I wondered if there were even any memories left to learn. But if so then why didn’t I have a name? Why is it that when I look down at myself I see nothing, I feel nothing, yet I still believe my body is there? The only thing I could do was continue to wait for more visions or whatever they are to appear.

A crossbow had once again appeared from the darkness and assuming it was just going to show me the same vision again I was ready to toss it when I noticed something off about it. There was a hunting knife next to it and there was dried blood on both of them. Focusing my attention on the knife a forest once again appeared, only this time it was midnight during a full moon and the little girl was by herself. Or at least it seemed she was alone. I soon realized that there was a shady overweight man standing a good deal of distance away from the little girl while he was carrying a strange bag.

I was wondering if the girl was performing some type of illegal deal when the man began to shout. “You don’t have to keep chasing me! If you just let me escape I won’t kill you!" With that said the man pulled out a crossbow and pointed it at the girl. In response the girl silently pulled out a hunting knife and rushed the guy.

The guy regretfully shot the crossbow but because they were still reasonably far away from each other the little girl had plenty of time to dodge the crossbow bolt. The guy cursed as he began to load the crossbow but he had chosen a bad weapon for this fight. Crossbows can take a long to reload even with a skilled archer prepared to reload it.

Before the guy could finish reloading the crossbow the little girl had gotten close and stabbed the man in the stomach multiple times. The guy fell over and began to bleed out but first he had a few angry words to say. “Why couldn't you just let me escape with the money!”

The little girl replied in a disinterested fashion. “Mother said stealing is bad and people should be punished, that’s all.” The girl moved in closer to finish him off because she was uninterested in hearing the guy try to negotiate any further.

“If you kill me everyone will hate you for being a murderer!”

“But I’m not a murderer? I’m just punishing a bad person.”

Right before the little girl slit his throat he yelled out one last curse. “FUCK YOU KAT!”

My internet was fixed sooner than expected so I was able to release this today. Fun Fact: This chapter was supposed to be longer but as I'm sure some of you can tell, I love cliffhangers.

15