Chapter-16 Who is she/me
437 2 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After the guy had shouted the vision faded away until I was back in the darkness and I was left with a lot to think about. It seemed like the little girl, which I now know is called Kat, had chased a thief into the forest and killed him in order to ‘punish’ him. I couldn’t really argue with her methods, if the guy didn’t want to die he shouldn’t have attacked Kat since it just meant that she had a reason to defend herself.

But after I replayed the entire vision inside my head my thoughts kept coming back to the end of it. When he shouted out her name I felt like I had something I needed to remember but I just couldn’t recall what. Did I know the girl called Kat? Did I just know someone with the same name as the little girl? Or was my mind just playing tricks on me and Kat wasn’t related to my memories at all.

As far as I know the darkness could just be playing tricks on my mind by showing me some random girl along with my mundane memories. I have no idea how long I have been inside the darkness and yet I am no closer to remembering who I was.

“Why can’t I remember anything! Is this amusing to you! Seeing me wait in the darkness like an idiot for my memories to come back! Well no more! Darkness! Go! Away!”

The darkness seemed to quickly retreat from me and I was honestly really surprised. I was only yelling to let out stress but I was actually able to manipulate the darkness around me. With the darkness gone once again I looked at my surroundings.

The thing I first saw was a stone building in the middle of a forest that slightly resembled an old shrine. When I looked inside it I started to feel as if I was home. Confused, I began to ponder why I would feel at home here. Was I some god that used to be worshipped here? Or did I just find the shrine and live in it because I had no actual home?

A large explosion from outside of the house soon pulled me out of my thoughts. Was this some memory of my home being attacked? I rushed outside towards the direction of the explosion only to see a little girl standing in front of a crater. I realized upon further inspection that it was Kat.

I honestly don’t know what I should be feeling right now. Why was the darkness still showing me visions of her? Why is Kat’s hair colour now different? Why did she almost blow up the one place that weirdly reminds me of home?

While I was thoroughly questioning what the hell the darkness was trying to do to me a woman suddenly appeared in front of Kat. She admonished Kat for creating a huge and I started to feel guilty. Huh? What was I feeling guilty for? I hadn't done anything to offend the woman.

Everything I was being shown just continued to make me more confused and frustrated that my memories were still missing. So frustrated that I started to scream. I yelled as loud as I could for a few minutes while I tried to find the connection between all the mundane memories I had regained and the visions of Kat I had been shown. When I was just about to give up it felt like I fell unconscious for the first time ever since I’ve been with the darkness.

While I was unconscious I relived through all the visions of Kat once again. Only this time I viewed them from Kat’s point of view. I started to feel like I had lived through those events myself rather than watching someone live through them. There was even another vision that I didn’t remember seeing.

It was the morning after killing the thief, Kat had only just gotten home because she was deep in the forest. Kat was covered in blood from when she stabbed the man and her mother was obviously concerned. Kat told her mother what she had done expecting to get praised because she stopped the thief only to get a lecture instead.

Kat and I didn’t understand why because we felt like we did the right thing. That was when we realized that we thought differently than other people. Ever since that day we started to distance ourselves from other people because I stopped pretending to care about them. I started to think that being around the majority of people was annoying.

I was the one who insisted on not playing with the other children. I was the one who insisted on hunting with my father. I killed that thief in the forest. I was the one who created a crater in front of the shrine that I call home and got scolded for it because I am Kat!

Upon regaining the memories of myself that I had lost I tried to use magic to escape from the darkness but no spell that I could cast was effective at all. Just when I thought that it was hopeless to escape, Nyx appeared in front of me. I started to cry a bit as I said, “Mother is it really you? Have you really come to save me?”

Nyx pulled me into a hug as she told me what had been happening while I was in the darkness. She told me that I’ve been in a coma for over a month because my magic power was unstable. She told me about her plan to wake me up by invading my dream and forcibly fixing my unstable magic.

“Do you think you can actually fix my magic?”

“I can but we’re going to have to go about it in a different way than I initially thought. While our magic power did successfully combine, I can't actually control your rampaging magic power.”

“Then how are we going to fix it?”

“It’s simple, if I can’t control it that just means I have to teach you how to control it yourself.”

“Will you really be able to do that while I’m still asleep?”

“Yes, that won’t be a problem. The mind is what controls magic power after all. The problem is that in order to control all this rampaging magic you’re going to need much better control over your magic than you do now. It’s going to be hard because for some reason your magic capacity is way bigger than it was a month ago. Possibly a side effect from when your Shadow magic affected your soul.”

Ok I admit that I am curious by what she had just said about my soul but I figured it was better to first ask what I need to do to control my magic. “So how can I quickly increase my control over magic?”

“There’s nothing quick about the process needed to increase your control. At your usual pace of training I would estimate you to take about five years before you would gain enough control over your magic so that you could wake up.”

“Five years! Are you sure there isn’t a quicker process?”

“Yep I’m sure, however it’s not like you need to quit practising control in order to sleep, if you train all day every day you might be able to gain proper control in just a few years.”

I sighed as I realized that I wouldn’t be able to slack off like I did before. At least not if I wanted to wake up anytime soon. So whenever Nyx was available she would tutor me about how to improve my control and whenever I was by alone I practised magic control.

As some of you might have noticed, during this chapter I had it slowly switch from the perspective of someone watching Kat to Kat herself by changing the pronouns. I hope you enjoyed that subtle change. Fun Fact: these past few chapters weren't originally part of the story. In the original story Kat woke up the morning after passing out, but I figured this could lead to better development.

14