Chapter-20 A Visit to the Capital
388 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I’ll always love how convenient teleportation magic is. According to Mary it may have taken over a week to get to the Empire’s capital by traveling through normal means. We were also able to directly enter the capital without having to wait through inspections required to enter town and it’s always nice to avoid having to waste time waiting.

What I first saw after we teleported was that we seemed to be in a room full of fancy looking decorations. “Where are we?”

Nyx began to explain by saying, “Well we’re in the capital. More specifically, we're inside my house. As for why I own such a fancy house, it is because after I met Mary I decided to make myself known to this kingdom so that it wouldn’t be as weird for me to be seen with Mary.”

Why did she have to make herself known? I know she was secluded inside the forest with me but I figured the fact that she is the Great Shadow Spirit would mean that at the very least her name would be known by the other powerful Spirits. I was about to pose this question to Nyx but Mary seemed to anticipate my question and began to answer it instead.

“Did you know that most mages don’t even realize that they are actually Spirits.”

“Why not? Weren’t they taught the same things you guys taught me?”

“Actually the other Great Spirits create a lot more spirits than us and they create them all over the world so they just leave it to older Spirits to teach the young ones about magic. Of course those older Spirits don’t even realize that they are Spirits and think of themselves as just mages.”

“So nobody knows that you guys are Great Spirits?”

“Yes, they just think that I’m a mage that possesses the rare Holy magic as well as the normal four and that Nyx possesses the rare Shadow magic and the normal four. In fact they know that Great Spirits exist but they don’t even know exactly what they are aside from the fact they represent the pinnacle of magic. They even began to worship the Great Spirits and formed a religion around them.”

“Huh, that’s kinda funny in a way. But why is it that nobody ever found out that mages are actually Spirits? Surely the secret couldn’t have been that well kept over the years.”

“Well they never found out because anyone who theorized that mages were spirits got treated like they were insane. I don’t know why humans reacted that way but the only difference between a human and a Spirit is the ability to use magic and their lifespan so it doesn’t matter much either way.”

With our conversation finally done Nyx spoke up, sounding a little annoyed. “Since you guys are done talking, let's go find something that can suppress Kat’s magic.”

“Remember dear, it might not actually suppress her magic and if it doesn’t all we can do is let her relearn control over her magic.”

Hearing that I interrupted Mary. “Well I for one hope that it does because I’d rather not have to go through the process of learning control again. I don’t even know what I would have to practice because I can control what magic I cast fine. I just can’t control if I want to actually cast a spell after imagining it in my mind, it just automatically gets casted.”

Nyx responded to me in a troubled tone. “Yes, if this tool doesn’t actually suppress your powers it would take a lot of trial and error in order to figure out if you even can control it anymore. After all, your soul changed, and the way your magic works changed with it.”

“Don’t worry so much dear, you know that humans were researching magic in accordance with the recent rise in Spirits being born. If all else fails someone might have an idea that we overlooked.”

“I know, I know I’m just worried that some accidents might arise with Kat’s haphazard use of magic.”

“I’m right here you know.” I pouted a bit from her words but I can tell that Nyx is just extremely worried about me. Just like she always is and that familiar sight eased my fears a little.

Nyx and Mary then gave me a quick history lesson about the Empire and its current politics. When we finally finished all of our conversations we left Nyx’s house and Mary started to lead us towards someone who was specialized with how magic affected animals. I hoped we arrived quickly because for some reason there seemed to be some kind of disconnect between my soul and my body. I just hoped that suppressing my powers would solve all my problems.


We passed by many crowded areas and seeing the many different places in the capital just further hit home how different my life is now compared to how it was in my tiny forest village. It didn’t take long for me to notice that many people were staring at me. I really don't like being around other people. Confused on why they were staring at me, I asked Mary since she seemed to know more about the people here than Nyx.

“Oh, you don’t know why? Well it’s most likely because you’re missing your right arm. Most people that lose a limb either die from blood loss or they die because without a limb it becomes extremely difficult to survive.”

“Is it really that hard to survive? I was missing my arm for a good while before Nyx treated my wound.”

Hearing this Nyx interrupted us. “That was partially because you were lucky and partially because while you may have done a poor job of it, you were able to at least stop the blood from leaving your body.” With that said Nyx continued to let me question Mary.

“Well how about the people who couldn’t survive because living without a limb is hard. Sure there were a few inconveniences for me when it came to finding my balance and lifting up heavy objects but they didn’t really get in the way of my life that much.”

“Well most likely you had Air magic to help you lift objects but most people aren’t born with magic and even if they were born with Air magic it would still take a lot of control to perform some of the most basic of tasks. You benefited from having the ability to use most elements of magic. Nyx taking care of you also allowed you to get used to your missing limb.” I guess I have even more reasons to be thankful about meeting Nyx and I imagine in the future the list of reasons to be thankful will only continue to grow.

Soon after we finished our conversation we arrived outside some kind of shop and Mary started to talk about it. “This is our destination and where the specialist on how magic affects animals. Remember, we don’t want anyone to know what happened to Kat so if anyone asks we’re just going to pretend we want an accessory that can suppress an animal's magic power in order to tame it.”

With that said Mary began to open the shop’s door, but before she could we heard someone shout from behind us. “Your Grace, I finally found you!”

13