Chapter-23 Drowning Out the Crowd
400 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After wasting two days worth of time trying to solve the problems that arose from my changed soul, we only managed to get an accessory that decreases how much magic power I can put into a single spell. I’m less of a danger to the people around me but not by much. At least as long as nothing else goes wrong Nyx should already be searching the world for a solution to my problems today. I on the other hand have to go to a school with other people my age that I’d rather not interact with. On the bright side Mary said I could use her authority to get away with doing whatever I want as long as I don’t do anything illegal.

At least this school doesn’t have a uniform so I can just wear my usual clothes. When I wished that I could look at myself to make sure there was nothing else wrong with me, I accidentally used Earth, Fire, and Air magic to make a mirror. I’m glad that at least I had enough control over my magic that the spell didn’t destroy anything, but it sucks that I can’t avoid randomly using magic whenever I absentmindedly wish to do something. Accepting that I’m going to have to deal with this for a while, I looked at myself in the mirror.

After my growth spurt I am now pretty damn tall. Hell I’ll probably tower over everyone at school, even most of the boys are going to be shorter than me. As for my hair I have it cut short like usual and until my control over magic is better I’ll always be wearing the accessory I got yesterday. I really like that Nyx and I have the same hair colour that looks like the night sky.

While looking at my hair I noticed something about my eyes that I don’t remember seeing before. My eyes have always been light blue before, but now the right eye was completely black except for a few tiny spots of silver. It kind of looks like my eye was starting to look like the night sky as well. It’s nice to look at, but it made me confused when I tried to figure out how I was able to see out of it. I experimented with moving where my eye was looking but my eye made no movements. I guess that it’s just a weird and insignificant side-effect of my soul changing.

When it comes to clothes I always wear the same design. A completely black long sleeve shirt with one of the sleeves cut off to allow space for the stump that is all that remains of my right arm. My pants are also black but aside from that they aren’t anything special.

After my quick review of how I looked I conjured up a Nature magic ball to eat and began to leave the house. Nyx and Mary showed me around the capital so I could just teleport there, but since I woke up a bit early I might as well walk there to familiarise myself with the city a bit more.


I’ve only been walking for five minutes and I already hate my decision. There’s way too many people around me and the noise is even worse. Maybe I should have teleported myself after all? Regardless of what I should have done I soon found myself thinking, “I wish I could block out everybody's voices because the noise is starting to give me a headache.” When it suddenly went quiet it didn’t take long for me to realise that I had accidentally casted magic again.

Nobody around me seemed to be confused or acting weird so I assume that I didn’t somehow silence them, but if not then what did I do? I know I used Air magic and I know that sound is carried through the air, even if I don’t know the specifics of how. I guess I must have used Air magic to prevent the sound around me from reaching my ears.

I mumbled to myself, “This might be interesting.” Unsurprisingly I couldn’t hear myself say anything. Anyway if I can manipulate sound by manipulating the air around me, then couldn’t I mimic some songs Nyx sang to me as a child? With my interest in this accidental creation of new magic peaked, I attempted to listen to songs while I continued to walk to the school.


Before I even reached the magic academy I had already forgotten all about my worries and was instead engrossed in experimenting with my magic. I think that it should be possible to recreate Nyx’s voice singing her songs but I kept ending up with varying results. Sometimes I would just produce wind around my ears that made no sound. Sometimes I was actually able to produce sounds that were nice to listen to, though I was never actually able to make a singing voice that could say specific words.

At the very least I could make music similar to some instruments I heard playing when Mary and Nyx showed me around the capital. I muttered to myself, “This would be something nice to listen to when I want to ignore everyone in school. Not to mention that with my changed magic I never run out of magic power so I could easily make and listen to music forever.”

When I finally stopped being distracted by my thoughts I looked up and noticed that I was in front of the Advanced Magic Academy for Nobles. A name that tells you exactly what the building is for, I like it. Before entering I decided to learn the layout by using Shadow magic that allows me to see through every shadow in the world as long as I have enough magic power to connect to it, which in my current state I could probably be able to easily see what’s happening on the other side of the planet. I noticed that there’s a decent amount of guards around the academy which isn’t really that surprising considering it wouldn’t be an exaggeration to claim that the Empire’s future will be learning here for the next few years.

As soon as I entered the academy grounds some of the guards called out to me. “Hey commoners like you aren’t supposed to be here.” They then unsheathed their swords and started to rush at me. 

When writing this chapter I realized I didn't describe the main character much aside from hair colour so I figured I'd give a bit more of a description.

14