Chapter-27 The Academy Sucks
343 1 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It’s been a month since I came to the capital of the Empire and we still don’t have a way to fix my magic power. Nyx has been searching around the world and only teleporting back at the end of the day to tell us about her progress. Meanwhile I’ve continued to go to the academy but I haven’t been able to improve my control through practice either.

Thanks to my first day of school the majority of people are terrified of encountering me. Sometimes when I encounter nobles with higher standing threatening some lesser known nobles they all end up running away. As a result, even though everyone is scared of me, or more accurately because everyone is scared of me, some people have started to seek me out as safety.

Being here I've realized there is way too many nobles. Seriously do nobles breed like rabbits or something because the academy is really big, yet it's almost completely packed with nobles. The Empire used to be one of the biggest kingdoms but it's shrunk a lot after the internal war so I feel like there's not enough land for all the nobles that are here. Do the majority of nobles just not own land or something?

I know for sure that there aren't any commoners going here and there's only a few noble students that come from another kingdom for marriage reasons. So why the hell are there so many students here. Maybe I'm just out of touch with how many distant relatives of nobles that don't hold government positions there are.

I ranted for a bit too long but aside from that I don’t have too much to say about anything else. Fai is friendlier with me than anyone else, but for a while she was pouting about the time I haunted her. Of course that only made me want to tease her more. Though in all seriousness she is the first person around my age that I actually wanted to be friends with.

We don’t talk much at school because some of her friends are scared that I’ll kidnap her or something. Which I guess is fair considering that one time I did constantly secretly teleport her around the city. It was really entertaining to see her walk around the city, confused on why she kept getting lost. Though Mary lectured me later because the guards that were secretly following Fai couldn’t find her. It's not like I would let her get into danger without me stepping in to kill any attackers.

The academy's classes aren't that interesting and I probably wouldn't bother with them if Mary didn't ask me to. Since this is technically a military academy for nobles the majority of the classes are based around tactics, relations with other kingdoms, and fighting with magic or normal weaponry. I prefer fighting by myself with magic so tactics classes and physical fighting classes aren't useful to me.

The physical class is just terrible because we're expected to do stuff without using magic and when you're missing an arm you're limited on what you can do. My newly enhanced strength and speed can only help me so much. Other nobles also keep challenging me during this class because I'm limited in what I can do. Thankfully I'm stronger than most humans so I can still easily kick their ass and continue ignoring them.

As for the magic classes I was already way stronger than the school wanted me to be so I wasn't required to do anything. Sometimes I would try to practice, but no matter how hard I tried I never even got close to being able to restrain my magic. I eventually gave up and instead watched over the other students. A few of the students did catch a bit of my interest because they showed potential and for some reason one of them even asked me to teach them.

The student that asked me to teach them was named Leila something. She has long brown hair that she usually hides her eyes with, and I think she’s 15 years old. I can't really remember her last name but I find them pointless to learn anyway since you're not exactly going to use them in a conversation like you would with your first name. Anyway she seemed to be a fan of me for some reason. Maybe she was one of the nobles that I protected by scaring other nobles away? She kept pestering me and I eventually decided to tutor her a small bit since she had Earth and Air magic.

The next student that caught my attention was the Prince. Or at least I think he is? Mary never really told me much about her sons because they were adopted from other nobles because her husband died soon after Fai was born. I think the first Prince became a puppet king since nobles like having males in power or something like that, but Mary still holds a lot of sway over politics as his mother.

Anyway back to the second Prince. I’m pretty sure his name is Jeff and he can only use Fire magic. I can tell that he has excellent control over it because he's barely using any magic power with every spell he casts. He’s pretending to be bad at magic and it better just be because he doesn’t like attention. He’s currently engaged to a transfer student from one of the nearby kingdoms. I have yet to learn the name of the kingdom, if it's friendly or neutral, and who exactly the transfer student is.


When all of today's classes ended I searched for Leila to begin a short lesson like usual. It didn’t take long to find her through the shadows and I was about to teleport to her when I noticed that she was arguing with a pink haired student that I saw potential in. They were in a secluded room with nobody else nearby. I haven’t learned the name of the other student yet because she always ran away from me as soon as she saw me.

I was curious about what they were talking about since Leila was a loner who preferred to train or hide in a library rather than make political friends with the other nobles. So I hid myself in the shadows before teleporting over. “Just leave me alone Leila!”

“But Lotus, she may be able to help you!”

“I don’t want help from someone like her! We don’t even know what family she’s from! How do you know we can trust her not to betray us?”

Leila took a second to calm down before explaining, “We don’t have to get her involved. We can just have her help you without telling her anything. She’s a great teacher and she can help you get better at magic.”

“How do you know that she isn’t someone secretly sent by my family to find and kill me?”

“If she was sent by them then she wouldn’t have caused such a big incident on her first day. All it did was make people scared of her, which wouldn’t help in uncovering your identity.”

“I… Just… Can you give me a few days to think about it?”

“Yeah we aren’t in a hurry right now. Besides, I need to leave soon as well.”

The both of them left the room and I began to think about their conversation. They loved playing the pronoun game, but I had no reason to believe they weren’t talking about me. I mean I doubt that Leila even knows anybody else in school on a personal level. Then again I didn’t know that she knew whoever this Lotus person is.

Well if I want answers I should be scary enough to just ask and people will gladly answer. With that in mind I teleported in front of Leila and began to interrogate her.

18