Chapter-33 A Confusing Foe
210 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kat’s Pov

I was continuing to take out as many of the enemy soldiers as I could. I would constantly teleport from group to group of soldiers and then burn up everyone in the area before teleporting again. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if I’ve killed just as many of Leila’s guards as I have enemy soldiers, but I simply don’t want to risk getting caught again because I took my time. I’m not even willing to risk waiting a few extra seconds to make sure everyone dies.

Sadly my efforts were in vain because I was eventually caught again. I was teleporting just like normal when I instead ended up on a rooftop. The exact same thing happened just before I first met with the shadowy figure so I didn’t waste my time being confused. I tried teleporting away, but I instead ended up on a nearby rooftop, just like last time.

I kept trying to teleport over and over and over again because I really didn't want to fight the figure. All of my attempts were met with failure so I was forced to stand there and wait for the figure to appear so he could toy with me again. My teleportation has failed me far too many times tonight for it to just be an accident. The only explanation I can come up with is that the figure is somehow affecting where I end up, but how? 

The process of teleporting is so simple that the only way the spell should fail is if it was just never cast. I teleport by disappearing into one shadow before appearing out of another shadow inside an area I depict in my head. I initiate the teleport correctly because I disappear into the shadows, so something wrong is happening when I exit the shadows. The question is what’s going wrong? Why do I end up in areas that look completely different from what I pictured? Argh, I hate when I have a bunch of questions with no way to get answers.

Thankfully, I suddenly heard a deep voice laughing behind me. Running around in circles inside my mind won’t help me, not right now at least. Then again, turning around to see the figure doesn’t exactly help me either. His body had returned to its shadowy look so I can’t tell for sure if it’s the same person. However, I also have no reason to assume it’s a different, less dangerous person either. 

Before long his laughter subsided and he began to speak, confirming his voice to be the same one I heard earlier. “It seems you’ve been busy in my absence. The smart decision would have been to run off and hope we never met again. Did you forget about my generous warning?”

I really shouldn’t taunt him, but I hate this entire situation. “I didn’t forget anything, I just chose to ignore certain things. I may be unable to defeat you, but it’s a simple task to take care of the soldiers. I will kill all of them and I will not let you stop me!”

I was really annoyed at his constant taunting and toying with me so I really wanted to hurt him. I then immediately accidentally used my specialty Earth, Fire, and Air magic spell to fling a flaming boulder at him. However, he just slightly dodged to the side and let the attack crash into a building behind him. I may not have meant to cast it, but I still would’ve been ecstatic if it hit him. I would actually like to be in control of my magic though. Wait, is my inability to hold back my magic somehow affecting my other spells? Though if this is the case then why did my magic only start to fail me tonight?

The figure suddenly appeared in front of me and made me jump backwards. Shit, I gotta focus on him for now. I’m not against a weak opponent that I can ignore for a bit to think. “Where are you aiming? Do you really expect to stop me with an attack like that?” After saying that the figure backed off a bit before laughing again. In retrospect my specialty attack does kind of suck if the target is able to simply move a bit to dodge it. Like sure the attack demolished the building and started burning up the debris so I guess it’s destructive, but it isn’t exactly helping me out either so I might as well have not cast it all.

The figure didn’t spend much time laughing before he continued to taunt me. “You seem to have misunderstood who my allies are. Killing those in the capital doesn’t harm us at all. Feel free to continue with your massacre. We will achieve our goals, whether you want us to or not.”

“I will not allow you to harm Lotus or Leila, just so you can fulfill some stupid goals! I decided to help them out because they were interesting to be around and I am not going to abandon them! They’re too interesting to be around for me to just let them die. I may be too weak to kill you here and now, but I can keep you occupied! We are in the capital of the Empire! You’re a fool if you think nobody here is strong enough to defeat you!"

You are the fool if you think help can reach you. You are in our world now! Nobody! Will! Save! You!”

With those words his sword suddenly reappeared in his hands and he rushed me. His sword was probably the one that failed to injure me earlier, but I decided I should avoid it just in case. Since teleporting away probably won’t work I should instead defend with magic. I figured getting rid of the sword would help so I decided to wait and use Shadow magic to swallow it up just before he stabs me.

One of the more recent things Nyx taught me before I got trapped in my soul was a spell that can swallow up and permanently dispose of inanimate objects and animals. Though it sadly can’t swallow up humans, Spirits, or magic that was cast for some reason. For this reason I nicknamed it the void spell since everything that gets swallowed seems to stop existing. Regardless, I’ve only used it once when I was learning it because it requires a lot of magic power and using Explosion sub-magic or impaling enemies with shadows was just easier. However, magic power isn’t a concern anymore and since I lost my hair accessory during our first battle, my magic power isn’t restricted at all.

The figure seemed to be running suspiciously slow so I used Air detection magic to keep an eye out. When it was almost time to cast the void spell I detected a bunch of arrows shot from multiple directions at me. I somehow couldn’t detect who shot them, but I noticed that an extremely talented Spirit or multiple Spirits must be involved as the arrows were all protected by different types of magic. With only a few seconds left until I got stabbed or shot I had almost no time to create and then execute a plan.

I rewrote this chapter way too many times. Been so long since I've typed chapters that I have to keep going back to make sure I don't contradict something I already established.

7