Ch 132: It’s better not to know
23 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I have a Patreon page. If you want to support my work, please visit it. There, you could find six chapters in advance for patrons.

https://www.patreon.com/finlegost

You can find the character concepts here:

https://www.instagram.com/finlergost

*******************

 

 

'What?...

Normally, I'm grateful for the old orc's quiet and serious personality while we're in the labyrinth, but there are times when I wish he was a bit more communicative...'

"How do you level up so fast?" I ask very surprised, as even with the experience booster active, I could only level up one level in all the older classes and three levels in Explorer.

I distributed the stat points evenly as usual, bringing all my stats up to 90, except for Constitution and Will, which are still at 89.

'It's true that Kaelion is very low level compared to me, and that fighting on these floors must be giving him a ton of experience....

Especially to the Shaman class, which was at a pretty low level. But even so, he shouldn't be able to level up that many levels in just 8 hours...'

"I guess that's because I am on this floor, even though I have pretty low levels... But, in my opinion, mostly it's because we orcs absorb a lot more life force from what we kill whenever we fight for a while after eating until we satiate ourselves with something of a higher level than our own…" says Kaelion, sighing again.

"... That's why we level up faster than the other races,"

'He can't just blurt out such cryptic information and keep quiet! Damn ancient geezer... Even in the labyrinth, he finds ways to irritate me!'

"Life force?" I ask with an eloquent look, waiting for the old orc to catch on that I'm not understanding half of what he's told me.

'Is that what they call experience in this place? On my continent, not knowing the levels, it didn't have a name. But it stands to reason that here they have to call it something.'

"Yes... It's the way we name the energy that allows us to level up," says Kaelion, confirming my theory and again showing off how untalkative he can be when he puts his mind to it.

"Ahh... So that's why you're always eating in the labyrinth and spending your money on such expensive dishes when we're out..." I say, while repressing a series of very descriptive words that I have on the tip of my tongue, and that would surely be very offensive to this elderly windbag who's trying to play the mysterious role.

"... I thought it was because you were a glutton or that you were getting even for all the hard cookies you ate while you were on the road..... Anyway, why is it that the orcs absorb more exp... life force after having eaten high-level stuff?"

"I don't know; it's just the way it is. What's more, there are people who raise enslaved people like cattle and bring them to the labyrinth, looking to level them up so they can devour them later. That's why the most expensive meat dishes in restaurants and inns are usually made of meat from enslaved people..." he says, and seeing my face, he adds.

"...Yeah, don't say anything. I think it's gross, too."

'So that was the reason why the 93rd-ranked freak in the Colosseum rankings kept talking about how he wanted to eat me....

And that's why there are no high-level slaves in the Colosseum rankings....

Fuck...

I have to get stronger and challenge the orc emperor to put an end to these sick customs as soon as possible.'

"Wait... That means…" I say, as I retch at the disgusted thought of the steak I ate last night, one of the most expensive dishes you could order at the inn.

"Don't worry, kiddo. I've made sure that they don't serve us dishes made with people's meat. I knew you were probably unaware of the issue, but I was sure that kind of meat would not be to your liking…" says the old orc, laughing and patting me on the back.

"... The meat of enslaved people is not the only high-level meat available, and I can perfectly distinguish the difference between person and monster meat."

"Ahh, thank you... Really, thank you so much," I say, as I feel the horrible feeling in my stomach disappear.

"You're welcome. It is the job of a guide to help those he is guiding. And I know how to do my job splendidly." says the elderly orc, who seems to have been reminded by the conversation that it's been a while since he's spouted any nonsense.

"Ahh, yes..." I say, grateful to the old orc, but a little annoyed that, even at times like this, he says stupid things.

"... You... have you ever tasted it? Person meat, I mean?"

"Do you really want to know?" he asks, looking at me with a raised eyebrow.

"No... You're right... It's better not to know about it," I say, changing my mind.

***

Today is my second day in the Colosseum, but the fights don't start yet since it's too early.

Kaelion is still sleeping in the inn.

But, thanks to the reputation I made for myself two days ago, I don't think anyone will dare bother me in this place.

Even if I don't have my mask on.

I had originally intended to go to the labyrinth for a few hours alone.

But, as I have no idea what time the ancient orc will wake up, I preferred to come to the Colosseum to browse.

I'm looking at the various forms of entertainment that take place here, ranging from very varied displays of strength to cooking competitions.

But at this time in the morning, there aren't half as many people as there are when the ranking bouts begin.

'I should have left him a note telling him I was going to the labyrinth....

Next time, I'll tell the elder orc beforehand that I'm going to the labyrinth in the morning and that I'll leave as soon as I can…

Those shows are interesting. But not for me...

Not when I could be using this time to get stronger.'

As I'm thinking these things, a small Therian boy approaches the spot on the bleachers where I'm sitting and hands me a folded note.

After which he scurries off without a word on the subject.

'How strange.'

I unfold the paper to see what the contents of the note are and see that it only says 'come to the hallway on the north side of the top floor of the Colosseum'.

Confused, I stare at the paper for a few minutes and then realize that it is probably a note from Kaelion.

After all, who else would write me a note?

There is no one else in the capital who knows my face.

Wondering what the old orc wants to show me, I get up from my seat and start to climb up the steps to the top floor.

'There is practically no one on the top floor of the Colosseum at this hour...

What does the elder orc want that necessitates such secrecy?...

Besides, if he wanted to tell me something, why didn't he tell me yesterday?'

I head towards the north side, and, as I arrive, I cross one of the many thresholds that leads to the interior corridor of the Colosseum.

As I cross the threshold, I see that the lights in the place are not on yet, so the places that don't reach the light from outside are in semi-darkness.

'Looks like it's just as I thought; these floors aren't supposed to have anyone on at this hour.'

Then I see a figure begin to emerge from behind one of the columns that form the corridor.

"What's all the mystery, old orc? Why did you call me to this place instead of coming to where I was?" I say, convinced that now I'll surely have to wait for the ancient orc to spout two or three of his typical nonsense before I can finally get anything clear about what he wants.

But then a strange laughter starts to be heard.

And a voice I don't know speaks to me from the shadows....

0