Ch 36: Salvage preparations 2
480 4 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Author Note:

I have created a patr eon page. If you want to support my work, please visit it. There you could find 6 chapters in advance for patrons.

https://www.patr eon.com/finlegost

You can find the character concepts here:

https://www.insta gram.com/finlegost

Thanks to my patrons.

*******************

"And now let's talk about this" he says pointing to the vials with the dark liquid "this is what I call a witcher's elixir since its effects can be considered almost magical. It will make you immune to drugs and poisons. But be careful with this, because it means that the potions will not work on you while you are under its effects. It will also heighten your senses and numb the pain sensations. You will feel that you can move faster, that you can see even in the dimmest light, that you can even hear the footsteps of an ant passing by to you...but all this puts a lot of stress on the body, so its effects only last 10 minutes. And when they finish, you will feel all the tiredness and pain at once. If you are not careful, you can even pass out from using it."

"hmm, ok" I say, putting the vials in my inventory. I am so amazed that he didn't offer me these things sooner. Being so amazing they should be the best of his store. He could make a fortune on this!

"The bombs are meant for the average person. So, if you're going up against very powerful creatures or people with a lot of training, they won't be as effective as I told you. But if you combine them with the elixir, you'll be able to take on large groups of enemies with relative ease. Given the nature of your trip this will have to count for something I guess... " says Ozy, but he stops when he sees my expression, I guess he didn't expect to leave me speechless.

"Yes, thank you very much, Ozy." I rush to say, noticing my silence and changing my expression from shock to a smile. "How much are they worth?"

"I don't sell those things..." says Ozy, leaving the sentence in the air for a moment "these are dangerous substances, and they are... A little prohibited. Think that with those things that I gave you, a person with bad intentions could eliminate the population of one or two villages without the slightest resistance. You shouldn't use them near any law enforcement officer or you might get yourself, and therefore me, into serious trouble."

"Ahh, ok" I say, doubly surprised now by the trust Ozy has put in me. After all, he's risking his quiet life in the capital by giving me these things.

"Well, finished this topic" says Ozy and he sits back down at the table "I have another question, do you know how to ride?"

"Yes" I say, remembering the early days of my new beginning "I've never ridden alone, but I think I will be fine."

"That's a good thing. It would be much more expensive to rent a carriage for that distance than to buy a horse, and you will need either of the two if you want to get to your destination quickly" says Ozy, getting up again to grab a sheet of paper from a drawer. Then he begins to write a quick note, and when he finishes he hands it to me "Take this. Give this note to my friend and he will give you a good horse so you can travel fast"

After showing me, with the help of a map, where his friend's stable is, Ozy said goodbye, wishing me a good trip.

However, instead of going to where Ozy advised me, and even though time is pressing, I am heading to the magic academy.

I have to let Sofia know that I'm leaving the capital again and that I am going this time to a life-threatening place.

I should probably leave her the rings and apologize for leaving again so soon. After all, I haven't even stopped by to see her since I got back to the capital. Also, I want to take this opportunity to ask her about Vin.

....

It seems that 'Vin' deceived me because Sofia told me that she didn't know anyone with that name. But as I described Vin and her partner, the headmistress changed her mind. She did know her, but her name is Lilian.

I have no idea why the girl gave me a fake name, but it seems that the rest of her story was true.

Although it wasn't true that Sofia told her about me either, since, according to her, she only mentioned me in passing.

I guess that's why Lilian didn't know my name... Anyway, I can't think about it too much, because right now I had other things to think about.

Sofia refused to accept the rings back and before I said goodbye to her, she told me, with a concerned face, to be very careful on the trip.

I didn't tell her what my problem was, but I suppose she must have sensed something.

***

I went to my friend's parents' store to pick up the dagger and explain my situation to them.

Since it's best to be as prepared as possible before I leave and having one more weapon can help me a lot.

I was received by Agustín's mother, Lyra, a human with brown hair and gray eyes; while Joseph's mother, Arya, an elf with light green hair and eyes, was serving some customers.

She invited me to go into the workshop, pointing to a door, but she stayed in the store in case more customers arrived.

Crossing through the door, I step into a spacious roofless patio in which there are all kinds of tools. The room is surrounded by high walls with various windows and doors.

The store has two floors, and from what I see it is attached to their houses, which are the same height as the store. Together the walls form a kind of fortification around the patio.

As soon as I enter the patio, I can feel the heat of the forge that is stationed in its center, despite being a ventilated environment.

Beside it, I see Boreas and Aaron, two bearded dwarfs with gray hair and orange eyes. They are working on what appears to be a sword blade.

A little farther away, in one of the corners of the patio, I see Agustín and his sister working on several perforated wooden pieces. And, after greeting the two dwarves with a gesture from a distance, I approach the siblings.

They are shaping what I assume are grip models with the help of an orange ribbon, which spins at high-speed thanks to two wheels that do not stop turning.

I hadn't seen Agustin's sister the first time I came, but the resemblance is obvious. Even though she inherited more from her father than from her mother, unlike Agustín.

She is a dwarf with brown hair the same color as her brother and mother, and gray eyes with hints of orange.

"Ahh, hello. You're here just in time, we are making weapon hilts" Agustín says when he sees me "this is my sister, Lorna"

"Nice to meet you" I say, approaching and holding out a hand "I heard that I owe to you most of the work of making my dagger. Thank you"

"You're welcome" she says and, looking towards one of the windows, yells "Hey chard head, here's your friend. Come here to say hi!"

The next moment, I see Joseph leaning out of a window on the second floor and, after seeing me, he comes down to greet me. As he walks out a door, I see that he is carrying a bow in his arms. I assume it's his new bow, and that he wants to tell me about it.

I wasn't wrong. As soon as he greets me, Joseph begins to list all the benefits of his new bow.

And he didn't stop until Lorna interrupts him with a weary face "enough talk about your new bow! Your friend came for something else, remember?" she tells him and, turning to me, she adds "give a try to each of the pieces of wood that you see on the table, and tell us the one that is most comfortable in your hand. We will use that for the hilt of your dagger"

"ok" I say and do as she asks. After a few moments I decide on one of the pieces of wood and, after handing it to the girl, I ask "when will the dagger be ready?"

"hmm" says Lorna thoughtfully "I could have it ready by late tomorrow… or you could come in the day after tomorrow, for more security"

"couldn't it be for tomorrow?" I ask, hopeful "I have to leave the capital urgently. The sooner you can have the dagger ready, the better"

"why?" Augustine asks, puzzled.

I explain my problem, and after thinking for a moment, Lorna assures me she'll have it ready by tomorrow's noon.

Joseph and Agustin didn't say anything during my explanation, but I can see their worried faces as I left the store.

I went to Ozy's friend's stable and the manager told me that he would have a horse for me ready and saddled by tomorrow.

Still worried about Ragnar, but happy that at least tomorrow I'll be able to come to his aid, I return home.

After assuring Julia that Joaquín will take care of everything, I hurry up to my room.

I don't like lying to her, but it's better this way instead of telling her the truth. At least it's only half a lie because, even if it isn't Joaquin doing it, tomorrow someone will indeed go to Ragnar's aid.

I just hope I'm up to the situation...

20