Ch 46: Interview With The Vampire 2
364 0 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Author Note:

I have created a patreon page. If you want to support my work, please visit it. There you could find 6 chapters in advance for patrons.

https://www.patreon.com/finlegost

You can find the character concepts here:

https://www.instagram.com/finlergost

Thanks to my patrons.

*******************

"and... Have you ever encountered any abilities that affect the wearer's loved ones?" I ask in a strained voice. 

Regis and his family seem to have observed many people with abilities. I guess if I want to find out information about my possible curse there is no one better than them. 

"No, not at least because of the ability. Why do you ask?" says Regis looking at me intently, inquisitively.

I don't know if I should trust so much someone I just met, and who apparently will have to decide on whether I live or die. 

But the craving for information gets the better of me. 

Despite everything, Azur is still very tense on my shoulders.

I tell him my suspicions, while I explain a little about how my interface works. 

At the end of my explanation, Regis remains thoughtful for a moment. 

"I don't think you have anything to fear. In my opinion, the abilities are granted to help people complete the labyrinth. Although I know very little about the hive, if there's one thing I'm sure of, it's that they have no ill intentions. Or so I choose to think for two reasons… The first is that it wouldn't make sense for them to have left us a book with knowledge of economics, architecture, and a lot of other things if they didn't want to help us. What's more, you probably haven't thought about this, but doesn’t it seem strange that four races that originated in four different parts of the world have the same language? No. If they wanted to harm us there would be far less far-fetched ways to do it than granting us abilities that curse us. Which brings me to the second, simpler reason" he says with a shudder "I don't like the idea of divine beings, of whom we know almost nothing, doing things for evil purposes. It's much easier to live if you don't think that way. After all, what could we do against entities with the ability to create worlds?"

"Yeah, I guess you're right..." I say with little conviction, though it seems pretty logical to me most of what he says.

I guess there's no point in cursing people when they can directly cast a labyrinth to release monsters near an inhabited area. 

"Besides, if you can talk about a constant with singularities, it's that they are all obtained by people in situations where they help others" says Regis, who seems to have noticed what I was thinking "I, for example, got this ability when I saved my brother. The only exceptions I know of are people like my children, Debi, Gideon, and Teresa. Or you, who got your ability from birth."

"Your daughter?" I say without understanding "I thought she was Teresa and Gideon's daughter?" 

"Ahh, yes" he says with a smile showing his fangs. Smile at which I recoil a little, as it reminds me who I am talking to "She was my daughter and my granddaughter at the same time...after all, it was my blood that produced the change in her, even if it was administered to her by Gideon and Teresa. It's the same with Gideon. He was Teresa's decision. The only one I decided to pass on my condition to was her but, by having my blood, they are all closely linked to me."

"But then… if the ability is transferred with blood, and I had Debi's blood in my body… Shouldn't I have become one of you?" he asked puzzled. 

"No, it's not that easy" he says laughing at my comment "It takes a lot more blood for the change to take place. Also, the person needs to be drained of their own blood while they are getting ours"

"Ahh" I say simply, a little stunned by all the information I'm getting "have you met many people with singularities?"

"Yes, I have. I met a lot of people over the years. There used to be almost no people with singularities but, for the last 600 years or so, they have become more and more frequent" He says in a calm voice and, while a smile appears on his face, he continues "I once met a person who could… 

***

A day after the talk with Regis, I am preparing to leave. 

It seems that I have Regis' approval. 

Although in my opinion we only chatted a little, it seems that it was more than enough for the old vampire, who gave me 9 platinum coins as compensation for talking to him and for having to wait so long in the cave. 

Each platinum coin is equivalent to 100 gold coins, so 9 platinum coins seem to me to be an exorbitant sum of money for one conversation.

Even more considering that the time I spent in the cave was very useful. 

I was able to take advantage of the opportunity to train with Gideon and Teresa, so I raised many levels. 

And I had free room and board…

Besides, the conversation with Regis helped me to get the idea that I am cursed out of my head. 

So, in my opinion, the talk benefited me much more than him. 

Anyway, it's his money and he can spend it however he wants… 

Teresa and Gideon have followed me to see me off at the entrance of the cave and they are watching me as I adjust the saddle for Azure who is in his dragon form. 

My eyes are wet as I think about not seeing them again. 

But this doesn't have to be a final farewell. I can always come back to visit them. 

At first, I decided to stay with them because I didn't care what might happen to them if it was true that I was cursed. 

But, after so long, I've come to love them for who they are... Incredibly kind and caring people. 

"I suppose you will be anxious to leave us since you are finally free to go...I have heard from Regis what you believed about yourself. I guess I don't have to say that I think it's silly" she says looking at me with a worried face "But, if you see that things don't work out for you outside, remember that you'll always have a place to stay here. We love you and we are tough enough. So, you don't have to worry about any curse being with us" she adds sweetly and hugs me.

With Teresa's hug, the wave of tears overflows the dam of shame, and slow drops begin to furrow my cheeks. 

"Thank you... For everything" I say softly, thinking about how they have helped me to strengthen me and to endure my depressive thoughts during these 8 months in which I thought, more than once, I could have caused the death of my parents.

I separate from Teresa and, after wiping my face, I wave goodbye to Gideon. 

He is a little apart with his typical neutral expression on his face. 

"Do not neglect the practice of the sword and you will see how you will find more and more sense in my advice" he says without changing his expression.

But, after so much time living with them, I can see behind the expressionless mask Gideon usually wears when he wants to hide his emotions, and I accept the farewell gesture he gives me back with a smile.

Sad, but with anticipation to see Julia and Mia again, I get on Azur and we fly out of the cave, as I hear Teresa shouting "You better visit us once in a while! Otherwise, we'll come looking for you!"

As we leave, I see how the cave entrance disappears before my eyes. 

I can't help but be amazed again at the absurd amount of mana Regis must possess to maintain this illusion continuously.

We head towards the capital in high spirits. 

Happy with the certainty that my assumption about there being answers at the end of the labyrinth is correct.

 

19