Ch 126: It can’t be that easy… but I suppose I don’t lose anything by trying
50 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement

Hello, dear readers.

This time, I come with good news.

My Internet connection is back, and, fortunately, I got a power generator that allows me to have moments of electricity during the day, so I think I could resume the pace of publication of the novel.

It's not ideal, but it will have to do.

According to the latest word from the power company, I will probably be without power for several months (I don't even know how many) due to storm damage.

But I don't want to leave the novel on hiatus for that long, so I'll try to post a chapter every week on Wednesdays, as usual.

Anyway, if one day I can't post the chapter on Wednesday due to these special circumstances, I will post it some other day of the week.

I hope you have started the year well.

With nothing more to say, I'll say goodbye.

Author Note:

I have a Patreon page. If you want to support my work, please visit it. There, you could find six chapters in advance for patrons.

https://www.patreon.com/finlegost

You can find the character concepts here:

https://www.instagram.com/finlergost

*******************

After seeing that I was getting angry, Rinka hastened to pay me and apologized for having spoken ill of the class that my 'friend' possesses.

Then she agreed to let me leave her house, although as I was saying goodbye she had the expression of a child who has had a sweet snatched from her.

Currently, Kaelion and I are in the room of the inn we are renting on the outskirts of the capital, sitting on the floor, while the ancient orc distributes on the floor the materials he bought during the afternoon.

Before me, I see a small bag with a silvery powder, which, according to the elderly orc, is mithril powder.

The reason to use this material is that it has a high mana conductivity and easily absorbs the colors of other substances in its structure.

There is also a small bottle of alcohol, and others with dyes.

A long silver needle, also made of mithril, and a health potion.

"Where do you plan to get the tattoo?" asks the old orc, who is in a strangely serious and sombre mood.

'I have already noticed that when we are in the labyrinth, his mood and attitude change quite a bit to a more serious and reserved attitude.....

But it's strange that when he came out, he didn't go back to his typical self-centered and talkative attitude....

I guess the process of getting my tattoo is a bit more complicated than I imagined, or maybe it's reminding him of something not so pleasant...'

"On the back of my right hand, I guess. I think it's for the best since, if any part of my body has to glow, I'd rather it be my hands, which already glow slightly when I prepare some spells," I say, distracted by my musings on the ancient orc's mood.

"Hmm, it's not very advisable to have it somewhere visible because of the bad reputation of this class... But in your case, I suppose it doesn't matter since you wear gloves. After all, if someone were to see the color of your skin, it would be worse than them seeing your tattoo. Well..." he says, in a voice devoid of emotion that almost sounds like someone else's.

"...The design and color are your choice and will not affect the effect the tattoo will have, but within its design I will have to trace some special little patterns on which its effect depends. Ideally, you should choose a pattern that is the color of the glow that will be generated, so that's the first thing you need to decide... Did you have any effects in mind?"

"I don't know which ones there are, but I had thought of a tattoo that increases my physical strength. Is it possible? I think you have one like that, right?" I say, remembering the drastic change in speed I witnessed in the elderly orc every time he activated his tattoos.

"Yes, it is possible. In that case, the glow of your tattoo would be red. Do you have a design in mind?" He says with an expressionless face that looks like a mask.

"I don't really care about the design. I just want it to get the class, and the tattoo for its effects obviously," I say, impatient and curious to see what the process of getting my tattoo will be like.

'If it ends up having a design I don't like, I can always cover it with something....

Besides, even if I choose a design that I like now, there's no guarantee that I won't change my mind in the future...

It's not worth wasting time thinking about something I don't really care about…

And I've never cared about my appearance….

If I shave and keep my hair short, it's only because it's more practical for fighting...

But I think I'm going to stop worrying about even that...

It's not like I have a hard time facing the monsters in the labyrinth.'

"Think of it as something that will be etched into your skin for life. I've already told you that this is not something you can regret later.... And you can't change the design afterwards either, because it would be dangerous for your spirit..." he says, apparently intending to change my mind.

But when he sees my face, he changes his mind, and his tone of voice reverts for a moment to his usual one. "...Haa... There are times when you're really puzzling, kid.... I don't know if you're too smart or too dumb... But it's alright... Give me a moment to think of a design that might suit you while I prepare the ink. I'll try my best to make sure you don't regret your decision in the future."

"Ok," I say, watching as the ancient orc pulls out a mortar with which he begins to mix the mithril powder with the alcohol and red dye.

...

In the end, Kaelion made a flame-shaped tattoo on the back of my right hand, with a series of small symbols coming out of the flame and extending towards my fingertips.

As the elder orc worked, I asked him what other effects the tattoos might have and what he recommended for my other hand.

But Kaelion told me that I would not be able to get another one for some time because, as it is something that affects the spirit of the person, a person can only get one every 6 or 7 years.

Since that period of time is necessary for the person's body and spirit to fully acclimate to the changes.

It took Kaelion three hours to complete the design, and he now looks like someone who could faint at any moment.

Not that the process demanded much physical energy, but I suppose it was mentally exhausting.

The orc's work was simple in appearance, as he just dipped the mithril needle into the ink.

After which he would briefly prick the skin on the back of my hand, gradually transferring the ink to my skin, creating a stinging sensation, and causing the design the orc had in mind to take shape on my skin.

Throughout the whole process, however, I could only marvel at the precision, concentration, and patience that were evident in the old orc's every movement.

When he was satisfied with his work, he sprinkled some of the health potion he had bought on my skin and told me to drink the rest.

As soon as I drank the potion, the burning sensation on the skin on the back of my hand disappeared completely, and all that remained was the beautiful flame design in shades of red and orange.

"Good, you have the tattoo. Now I will teach you how to use it..." says the elder orc while drinking a potion of mana that he takes out of his bag.

"...haa... It's been a long time since I've tattooed someone.... It's exhausting in more ways than one."

"Do you really want to teach me how to use it now? I can wait until tomorrow if you need to rest," I say, looking at the dark circles that have formed under his eyes.

'I'm in no hurry to get the class....

I'm not going to be able to level it up until we go to the labyrinth anyway....

Besides, the ancient orc had better get as much rest as possible; otherwise, he's probably going to start complaining tomorrow after a few hours of exploring...'

"How nice of you, kid! I didn't think you cared so much about me," says the old orc, looking at me with a smirk.

"I think you're too tired, elder orc. You're imagining things," I say, partly irritated with him for the mockery but much more with myself because I realize that the elderly orc has a point.

'I have to control myself...

I can't form friendships with anyone, and I can't care about anyone....

I can only see people as tools if I don't want my curse to affect them'

At my comment, the orc gives a short laugh, after which he says, "Whatever you say, boy, but you needn't worry about me. The activation process is quite simple, though not for that reason. You simply need to gather your mana in the tattooed area to activate it. The more mana you infuse into the tattoo, the more powerful the effect will be."

'It can't be that easy... but I suppose I don't lose anything by trying to do as he says.'

After the old orc's words, I focus on the tattoo and gather a slight amount of mana in my hand, whereupon the flame design seems to come to life and begins to glow and move slightly, as do the small symbols on my fingers.

'What a strange feeling...'

0