Chapter 2: First fight?
1.1k 4 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Kai slowly regained consciousness, he was surprised to find the screen still floating in front of him. There were a couple of things that stood out immediately, one of which being that this looked almost nothing like the standard stats screens he had always seen in games! The only things he recognized were a skills menu and his personal information (AN: race, name, height, etc.). There wasn't even an HP bar!

The only things of note were in his skills information. One skill said class skills and had a big censor bar underneath covering up the one that was already unlocked, and the other four below it were locked and had no indication of how to unlock them. After a little time fiddling around, he realized that swiping on the screen with two fingers brought him to a different page. However, this page was even more confusing.

-----------------------------------------------------

[XP bar: Locked]                         'Insight Required'

[Quest page: Locked]                 'Insight Required'

[HP bar: Locked]                        'Insight Required'

[Stamina bar: Locked]               'Insight Required'

[Mana bar: Locked]                    'Insight Required'

[Bestiary: Locked]                      'Insight Required'

[Class information: Locked]     'Insight Required'

[World information: Locked]   'Insight Required'

[World Map: Locked]                 'Insight Required'

[Companions menu: Locked]   'Insight Required'

-----------------------------------------------------

It looked like this insight stuff was going to be very necessary to get anywhere. After even more fiddling, he concluded there was nothing more that he could glean from the limited bits of the system he had, and decided to start the journey to the mountain that the system had told him about, after closing the menu in front of him. As soon as he made this decision, however, the menu popped right back and displayed the message:

[Insight gained: Quest page unlocked!]

He was stunned for a couple of seconds before wracking his brain to try and figure out what he had done to gain the insight. After ten long, excruciating minutes, he finally gave up and chalked it up to the system taking pity on him. When he came to terms with this, he swiped on the screen and found a new page waiting for him.

-----------------------------------------------------

[Quest Page]

-Current Main Quests-

1) Fulfill your destiny and defeat {Redacted}

[Current Side Quests]

1) Follow the final advice of your system

2) Win your first fight

-Rewards-

{Reward Information: Locked}  'Insight Required'

------------------------------------------------------

"What the fuck is wrong with this piece of garbage..." 

He continued grumbling to himself for a while, feeling dejected and cheated with this broken system as his only help. However, none of this really changed his plans, and he consoled himself that he would at least still get a reward from climbing the mountain, even if he wouldn't know what it was until he got it. 

After ten minutes of walking through the surprisingly quiet forest, he heard the sound of something running at what seemed impossible speeds. He quickly jumped behind a bush and waited in fear and watched as a big, jet black wolf came out from behind a wall of trees, with a concerning quantity of blood dripping from it's comically large teeth. Despite Kai's love for animals,  this thing was terrifying, and he didn't even have anything to defend himself with. The wolf sniffed the air and its head turned right towards him. Kai gulped, fearing for his life. However, when the wolf slowly padded over to him, it started circling him and snuffling, not appearing threatening at all.

Despite this, Kai was scared enough not to notice the odd behavior and jumped back, turning to run. After what seemed like hours, he turned back and noticed the wolf wasn't following him anymore, and he breathed out a sigh of relief. His first encounter with an enemy might not have been very manly, but at least he was alive, he reasoned to himself. When he caught his breath and looked around, he noticed how close he was to the mountain, and walked, a little hesitantly, closer to its base.

25