Chapter 5: Backstory time!
942 7 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(AN: dragons don't aren't given names at birth in this world, also they age at the same rate as humans until their 30's)

(Also, this isn't dragon school, her mother is just overprotective and hired a well-knowledged dragon to teach her shit.)

(Finally, yes this is a random swap to 1st(ish) person, I'm trying it out, if it's shit I'll stick to only using it in POV swaps or something)

 

(Dragon POV)   

I hate my mother. She is so overbearing! I mean, I'm 20 years old already, and I'm still being forced to take "how to hoard your gold 101"! I mean just because I've failed it four times doesn't give them any right to make me take it again. The wrinkly old professor dragon that flies in using his cloaking spell thingamajig is also insufferable. He is obviously a bad teacher, and that is definitely the reason I've failed so many times.

The only subjects I liked were the ones that had to do with the outside. I especially loved the ones teaching me about the different types of lands and what inhabited them. Apparently, a race called hyumans were very invasive and took any land they could get their hands on, so I had to learn a lot about what they looked like and how to kill them. My mother actually told me that a couple of hyumans had tried to steal our family's gold hoard in the past. As little as I care about our gold, I still couldn't believe the audacity of those hyumans. 

Anyway, after 20 years of being cooped up in this boring mountain, I finally decided to do something about it. I went up to my mother, conviction and resolution abounding inside of me.

"Mother, I want to leave the nest."

My mother stared at me for a few minutes, and when I was about to repeat myself, she replied,

"You're not ready for what's out there, and that's the last I'll hear of it," and lumbered away.

At this point, I was really just asking as a formality. I was so sick of the dreary, boring life I was living that there was nothing, not even my terrifying mother, that was going to stop me. 

A few days later, the perfect opportunity arose. My mother and the professor were having a talk in a different part of the mountain about my ineptitude or some bullshit and there wasn't anything stopping me. 

With a resolute "Fuck you" to the mountain that had imprisoned me for so long, I flew away, not so much as leaving a note for my mother. I flew as fast and as far away as I possibly could before I found a nice-looking tree and fell asleep for the day, as a free dragon at last. Unfortunately for me, there was, in fact, a very good reason for my mother's unwavering decision to not let me out. 

It was like I had a fucking target on my back or something! Everywhere I went, trolls and ogres and even goblins chased after me with crazed looks in their eyes and globules of drool pooling at their feet. It was honestly quite scary, even for a dragon like me. Eventually, I felt safe enough to rest, only then realizing that I was absolutely lost. 

Internally, I apologized to my mother and lamented this terrible situation. Little did I know that it wasn't even close to terrible. It could have been so much worse, and I should have celebrated how easy that time was when I had the chance because 3 minutes after I flew to another tall tree to get a little bit of rest, I was ambushed.

I was so occupied with my own exhaustion that I forgot to check the tree for troblins. ( AN tree goblins :p ) 

When I was still taking lessons, goblin variants were some of my favorite things to learn about. There were just so many of them, all with different purposes and ways of life. It was fascinating to me, making my forgetfulness significantly more embarrassing. The little bastards hide in trees, using their green skin to blend into the leaves, and usually catch birds and small mammals that climb up in search of food or shelter. They hunt with sharp sticks or really rusty knives that blend in with the wood of their tree of choice. 

The troblin in my tree was one with a knife. It took me by complete surprise and as soon as I had processed what had happened I was already in excruciating pain. My wing felt like it was on fire, and not the good, warm fuzzy kind that I breathe out of my mouth. No, this made me want to curl up in a ball and cry. I screamed in pain and in a rage, bit off the troblin's head in one bite, then spit it out because god DAMN those things taste horrendous.

Thankfully, there weren't any more troblins in the tree, but I was rapidly losing strength in my legs, and I was already on a branch, so it was only a matter of time before I fell. I was bleeding buckets and my vision started getting blurry. After a while, I started tipping and teetering on the branch, slowly swaying like a leaf in the wind. Just then, the ground started shaking, indicating something big heading my way, most likely an ogre.

And now, I am falling. Slowly falling, and thinking of everything that led up to this point. My mom was right after all. I'm not ready, huh.

My vision is darkening faster now. The ground is shaking faster and faster. The hyuman is running closer. My blood is pooling... 

WAIT! There's a hyuman! It's running towards me fast, breathing hard. When it stopped and looked at me, all of a sudden, my heart started racing. 

'It's not gonna hurt me' I think to myself. 'It's here to help.' 

Frankly, I don't have any clue as to why it is that I am so sure, but regardless, I am. I stare at it a little longer before feeling another pang of pain and roll a little to the left while whimpering slightly. Its eyes widen as it sees the large volume of blood underneath me and it immediately sprints over and scoops me up. I trust it and decide to try and keep my eyes open because I don't think I'd wake up if they closed at this point.

However, it was too late. My vision closed in and everything went black. The last thing I remember thinking was how nice it smelled, and how comfortable I was in its arms.

 

27