Chapter 6: Heartbeat
928 5 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Kai POV)

When the dragon finally reached him, Kai was still in a bit of shock. The system actually gave him some info, not to mention an actual, honest-to-god skill! He was elated. However, he was quickly brought out of his thoughts by a nudging on his leg. He looked down, and it was the dragon, acting almost like a cat, affectionately rubbing against his leg.

He absentmindedly put his hand on her head and out of nowhere, she sprang away. He immediately sharpened his focus and looked at her to assess what was wrong. 

"What's wrong?" He quickly asked. "Is there anything I can do to help?"

She seemingly hesitated for a little, and then looked at him incessantly.

"Oh, duh!" He facepalmed at his stupidity. "Why don't you shake your head left to right when the answer is no and up and down when it is yes," he suggested. 

She then nodded, seemingly understanding his instructions. 

"Well then, is there anything wrong? Are you in pain? Do you need anything?"

She shook her head, and he sighed a little.

"You know, I can't help you if you don't help me help you."

She slowly padded over to him and put her head down. When he checked her scales, they felt warm and smooth, whereas before he had patched her up, they had been stone cold. He took this as a sign of improvement. Next, he checked her underbelly and relocated her heart, which he had done previously to make sure she was still alive during his operation. He immediately noticed an irregularity. Her heart was beating incredibly fast. As a matter of fact, he could feel it getting faster by the second. She started squirming around which he took to be a sign to stop.

"You seem to be fine, other than an increased heart rate, but that could be nothing. I'll continue to check your condition until you are ready to leave if that's alright."

She nodded and rolled back onto her stomach. 

"Do you have a name?" 

She tilted her head, seemingly confused. 

"Oh, you probably don't know what that word means, huh. Well, it's sort of like something people call each other so that they know who you are talking to. For example, my name is Kai. Do you have anyone who calls you something to address you?" he inquired.

She thought about it for a little while, and then looked at him with a sad sort of expression, and shook her head.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean anything by asking," he replied, feeling guilty. "Well, I'll need to call you something, I don't like the feeling of just saying you, or dragon, so do you mind if I give you a name? It doesn't have to be permanent or anything, just one so that I can address you without issues."

At this, her head rocketed off of the floor and she furiously nodded, spit flying and tongue lolling out of her jaws. 

He laughed and said "Alright, alright, geez. Settle down, will ya?" 

After a little while of thinking, he looked to her physical appearance for inspiration. Her eyes were a brilliant gold and her scales were of a bright, scarlet hue. Her claws and tail tip were jet black, and all in all, he found her to be quite majestic. Finally, he asked,

"How does Ember sound?"

She was about as big as a medium-sized dog (AN: like maybe a rottweiler, and yes, the only reason he was able to carry her that long was because of sheer adrenaline), so when she all of a sudden ran at him and pounced, he was knocked to the floor. She was rubbing her body all over him, sniffing intensely and drooling a little bit, as well as breathing hard.

'Wow, she reminds me a little bit of a dog' he thought to himself, inwardly laughing a little.

"So you like it then?"

She looked down and nodded.

He didn't notice the hearts in her eyes.

(AN: by the way, dragons are EXTREMELY conceited and prideful for anyone who didn't know, so this behavior is nowhere near normal. Unfortunately, our hero is very unknowledgeable regarding anything not related to his dream of being a vet, so he just assumes this is normal behavior.)

 

 

32