Chapter 132 ─ A New Sunrise
72 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The day has arrived my dear readers, the countdown to the end of the volume.

With this chapter we close the arc and we will move on to the epilogue to close.

How did you like it? It's still too early to ask since the epilogue is not far behind.

This chapter was important for the development of several characters.

I hope many of them will become your favorites from now on.

After fleeing the place, Russell managed to be rescued by his surviving subordinates and go straight to their homeland.

It took them days to flee the empire's territory, but they all made it safely without losing anyone.

Once they were rested, they were called to give their report.

Russell being the captain was at the end.

He entered the briefing room which was as large as a student athletic field.

There the other captains of the holy knights were present.

Heading the first seat was Commander Edwards and behind him seated on his throne was Holy King Rowen.

Russell prostrated himself to the ground not only to bow, it was also to hide the shame on his face for failing.

"Raise your head, Zenden. We heard the survivors' report, but now we want to hear yours."

"What happened there?"

"Yes. I will tell you everything I experienced up to the moment of my escape."

After telling them what happened, the captains' expressions turned unanimous in disappointment.

"You managed to flee with your tail between your legs and you didn't even make it without taking out that twilight saint, did you?"

"I had heard that Zenden was the best candidate to be sent. What a disappointment."

"If it was going to go wrong anyway, we would have also sent Bacon and Xatenburg to steal some of that strange object and investigate it."

The negative critics weren't letting up.

Even the commander himself was telling him how disappointing this was for him for recommending it.

Russell was an adult, but even for someone prepared as he was for torture, the sharp comments from his peers left him emotionally damaged.

"Everyone, please be quiet. Also, take back everything you said."

The holy king commanded them all to be quiet, they obeyed instantly.

He stood up and walked over to Russell.

He knelt down so he could hug him.

"I bet that was really an unexpected experience wasn't it."

Russell opened his heart as if his father was him.

"Yes. It was."

"Was he as strong as you thought he was or was he stronger than you could imagine?"

"He was so strong that even with an alliance it was hard to defeat him."

"Very well. Now, if you were to fight him again, would you win?"

Russell lifted his face and despite having tears streaming down his cheeks, the expression of gruffness and determination on his face was intense.

"If I were to fight him again, I will win at all costs."

"I already know his way of fighting. I'm sure, no. I guarantee it, I will win against him so that I will never again embarrass my homeland or you."

"Very well."

Rowen stood up and spoke to his knights.

"You all heard him. Zenden said he would not lose again."

"Now I ask you, could you do something against that man?"

"Zenden was selected because he was the best among you all for the mission. Does that not indicate that, if any of you had gone in his place, you would not already be dead?"

The knights fell silent due to the fact that they could not say otherwise.

Russell is someone with a raw talent rarely seen in the country.

"With that said, you are all dismissed. Rest well, as it will soon begin."

Commander Edwards asked.

"What will begin Your Excellency?"

With a smile on his face, he said.

"That golden lion will not be quiet. Soon the world will take a course that no one will be able to change, and we must be the ones to win this battle to save them all."

◇◇◇

"To save them all."

"Or some shit like that must be saying that old king."

In the Ideal Empire, Solomon returned with many wounds and was immediately treated.

He was sent to the military hospital where they tended to his wounds.

He was so badly beaten that he could not move.

A man came into his room to ask for the report of what had happened.

It was one of the three archdukes, Archduke Alexander van Kraussnet.

"You look like an old piece of shit, Vanderdraken."

"..."

Alexander did not hesitate to insult Solomon despite his state.

His big cigar filled the room with harmful smoke and the nurse changing his bandages opened the window and then stepped out.

"I heard Hogan died, is it true?"

"Yes."

In a weak tone of voice, he replied.

"Vanderdraken, you are now the only dark knight left."

"Imagine the shame of the Ideal empire to know that three of its strongest knights were not only defeated by the Arklight scumbags, but that we are now left with only a decrepit old man with one foot in the grave."

By the way, Alexander splashed smoke in his face.

Solomon didn't even try to respond.

"It doesn't matter at all. There are good candidates in the second tier, maybe I should move too."

"Now that Coleman is gone and his family is just fighting to see who will inherit his territories. My time has come to take control."

"While Gemini won't leave his lab, that only makes me the only hope for this country since that good-for-nothing emperor doesn't do a shit."

"See ya, dinosaur."

Before he left, Solomon grabbed his coat and Alexander looked up at him with a pout.

But that expression was erased when he saw Solomon's eyes that held a flame that burned to such a degree that even Alexander himself could not tell that this old man was finished.

Solomon's body was at the age of retirement, but his soul was still at the peak of his youth when he was the symbol of fear.

Alexander walked away without a word, leaving Solomon alone there.

He looked at the clouds and only commented.

"It doesn't matter if I lost or not. I wasn't ready to die yet, if I had been, I would have killed that saint and that holy knight while my heart was being ripped out."

Those dangerous words came from one of the most powerful enemies in the game.

◇◇◇

In Emperor Loic V's office, a secret discussion was taking place.

The only one’s present were him, his brother and Seox.

"I see, that's your report."

"Yes. That's all I have to report."

"Very well. Go to your room for repairs, no one will see you're missing an arm."

"Aye."

After he left, Loic V let out a big sigh.

"This is the worst thing that has happened in my tenure."

"There are a few things I could add, but you're right about this."

"Brother, what shall we do now?"

The emperor rubbed his eyes due to the massive headache these chaotic events brought him.

"We must inform the population about this. We can't hide from them about it anymore."

"Younger brother, do you understand what you are saying?"

"Do you want to tell them that before we arrived there was an ancient humankind?"

"The knights and nobles will not be silent."

"This war was only a proof that the world is going through a stage unknown to us, we must get the population to be aware of everything and to evolve our weaponry."

"We already saw what one of those things was capable of, what will we do if there are more?"

"What will we do if someone else finds one of those things and uses it against us?"

"... I know."

The emperor was too grumpy to contradict him.

"I'm thinking about it. I won't tell them right away about the truth, I'll tell them that we're still investigating what that was and when they're ready, we'll tell them that we descended from humans who came from space."

*Sigh*

"That damned Linhard was always right. But it was too dangerous to have him wandering around."

"Sounds like a wise decision to me, Your Majesty."

The prime minister smiled to see that the most important decision of the empire was made in a good way and no longer hide it.

"But now we have a new problem."

"Jerome, come in,"

This time the one who entered the room was Jerome.

"I want you to tell me everything you saw, heard and about who defeated that thing."

For the emperor there was only one real question mark.

(Reports said that the one responsible for destroying the ship was that Bartlet boy.)

(Bartlet father and son accomplished feats worthy of being named as historical characters in stories. But mostly it is that they share the same surname and perhaps blood as Rasiel Bartlet, one of the real founders.)

(Founder. Is there something about the Bartlet family that you assumed and didn't want anyone else to know?)

(Why exactly ten years ago is it that this family, they were just strangers?)

"Go ahead, Jerome."

"Yes. Well, you see, I'll start with—"

◇◇◇

"Bring more food!"

Once their wounds were healed and they all returned home, a big party was held in the backyard of the Rosenberg mansion.

Eli stood with a complicated expression on her face as she watched a huge mountain of food and drunks in the backyard of her house.

"Lily-chan, repeat me why these guys are here again?"

"Emm, well, when Razel-kun finished being healed, Bellange-kun came over and said."

"Hey brother, we should celebrate your victory. This victory represents not only yours but ours."

"After that Oscar-kun and Jake-kun arrived to support the idea."

"Even though I'm not someone who supports the parties Bellange says, I agree that it's important to release tension after a catastrophic event like this."

"The great Jake is so tired that he wouldn't mind participating in a party sponsored by you guys. Although at my house would be better because it's bigger."

"Then Razel-kun got angry and said."

"Who do you think you can look down on, you idiot genius? I'll prove to you that the Rosenberg´s throw the best parties and everyone's invited."

"And well, that happened."

Eli looked with her eyes wide as saucers at Lily whom she grabbed her shoulders and implored.

"Lily-chan, please promise me. That, in your life, you will never, never, ever, ever do those nasty faces and voices again. promise me!"

"Y-Yes, I promise it."

Among the guests were everyone who had participated in the war.

The party was getting out of hand.

Some of them didn't want to go for reasons related to not supporting the Rosenberg´s, others are jealous of Razel's victory, some want to sleep and the rest accepted only if they could drink and eat non-stop.

Razel accepted and right now Glenn was at an inhuman speed serving beer and snacks along with the other servants, including Cordelia.

"Hahahahaha, this party is something I've never seen before. It's really nice that I was invited despite not being an acquaintance."

Haruomi was healed, but he had lost an eye, now he will have to wear a patch for his whole life.

But he didn't mind at all.

Next to him was Cid drinking orange juice with a strong smell.

Cid was looking at Razel who was stalking Dartanyan.

"That's your friend."

"Yeah."

"At first glance he looks like a weirdo. But if he was the one who defeated that weird thing in the sky, I wouldn't have minded being saved by him, hahahaha."

"We're the same way. But."

Cid smiled as he saw everyone enjoying this moment, even Regulux was eating while avoiding looking at Desmond.

Lambert and Bellange had an eating contest.

Oscar and his grandfather were drinking while watching the dragon Shibuya who was in the forest enjoying the feast along with the other dragons.

"I realize that, even if it was a little supportive, I was able to protect these smiles."

Haruomi agreed in his decision.

"Even if we don't know each other, even if we've never met. We share something that very few can afford that luxury, to survive."

"Today's battle is something that makes you appreciate living life more than ever."

"There will be battles that will be much worse. That's why we must have allies, however minimal they may be."

"Allies..."

Cid thought about that one.

(This enemy is one we've never seen before, Razel on the other hand seems to attract danger.)

(What Haruomi-san says is true, we need to get more allies.)

(Maybe one day, a catastrophe worse than this will happen and we will need all the help we can get.)

(Help not only from Razel, from Elize, from Regulux, from many people.)

Cid was thinking about preserving the peace of the empire.

That mentality was what a prince needed to move the country forward.

Among the guests, there was one person not to Barbara's liking who was watching to see that no one vomited on the flowers.

"Gosh, it's been a while since we last met, hasn't it, Barbara-san?"

"Dorothy, it's been a while."

"Come on, call me Dorothea like everyone else."

"Dorothy is what how call me at home."

Jake's mother invited herself, the reason was to watch that her husband didn't get out of control.

But she actually used this opportunity to annoy Barbara.

From the first time they met at the palace, Dorothea annoyed Barbara as she said she looked very cute when she got angry.

Barbara being a grown woman, hated that she insisted on such childish pranks.

But Dorothea didn't want to give up.

"Looks like the party your son-in-law threw got out of control."

"Don't say it. Tina, tell those drunks to stop courting the maids!"

Barbara was angry because if it had been a small party, she wouldn't be now with veins on her forehead.

Dorothea came closer to her and made a comment that really irritated her.

"By the way, Barbara-san, have you gained weight?"

"Huh?"

Barbara was really angered by that comment, but she understood later that it was not because of carelessness but because of her pregnancy.

(This dress is one that hides my belly and hips, but even with it on, can you see how the baby is growing?)

(This is bad. If I don't manage to find a way to hide it until it is born, it will be in the mouths of all these harpies.)

"I understand that now that you got your house and luxuries back, you indulge in certain whims and there's nothing wrong with that, but you who had a nice figure, right now you seem to put on a few extra pounds."

Dorothea's hand came up to Barbara's belly to make a joke.

Barbara quickly slapped her hand in anger and yelled.

"Don't touch me!"

Realizing she acted badly she apologizes.

"I-I'm sorry. It's like you say, I'm getting carried away with the food and I got careless hehehehe."

Despite laughing, Dorothea removed her mocking expression and looked at her with the same eyes she uses when she manages the territory and someone tries to scam her.

Those eyes looked intently at Barbara's face and then her belly.

"You get fat on the front side only, instead of on the sides, don't you?"

"Emm, yeah, it's just my body build is like that."

"I see."

Dorothea was still looking suspiciously at Barbara and stopped teasing her.

Jake meanwhile, watched as his father said goodbye to Randy and headed home.

◇◇◇

Once home, Fahren took to drinking.

"Grandmaster, don't you think you've had enough?"

Asked Nirvana who poured him one drink after another.

"Shut up, just serve me and don't ask questions."

"But grandmaster, I'm sure the level of alcohol in your blood is very high since you haven't stopped drinking."

"Nirvana. I said shut up and pour me another one!"

Fahren snapped back at her in an aggressive tone.

"Father, we're here, mother asks if you're going to bed."

Jake walked into the room Fahren was using as if it were a home bar for his friends.

Fahren didn't see him and answered.

"Tell her I'll come when I finish my drink."

"Father, it's mother we're talking about, she won't tolerate much time."

"Tell your mother I will come when I like, whether she wants to wait up for me or not is her business."

Generally, in this house everyone knows who is really in charge is the wife.

But Fahren defying her is something that only happens when he's in a bad mood with no way to calm down.

Jake nodded and closed the door.

He went to sit with his father.

"Nirvana, pour me one too."

"Do you drink young master?"

"No. But I can't leave my father alone to be scolded."

"..."

Nirvana poured him a small glass with a small amount of alcohol.

Jake drank it in one gulp and after coughing a little he said.

"Father, what's the matter with you? It's strange that the man who brags so much is sitting around drowning his sorrows in alcohol."

Fahren answered him something Jake hadn't expected.

"There are times where you want to be alone. Where the world can fall apart and you don't care about anything."

"I realized today how insignificant I am."

"I brag so much when in reality I'm just like everyone else, a little ant in a jungle that has no end."

"I sent a letter to the emperor about what we should do with the remains."

"There will soon be a convocation dealing with this event."

"I've already made myself bitter. Jake, go to bed now and tell your mother I'll be over when I'm done with this drink."

"You sure?"

"Go on. Both of you."

Nirvana put the bottle away and then walked out along with Jake.

After closing the door Fahren said to his son.

"Jake, I was afraid to die. I was afraid to think that I would leave you of my legacy other than the territory... he was gone now."

Fahren stood up and picked up the bottle Nirvana put away.

He poured himself another drink after finishing the previous one.

Before he took it, someone else did.

"You've never been good at drinking. More so if you're doing it to make what's bothering you go away, Fahren."

"I'm not that drunk to start hallucinating, Myat."

Myat appeared at Fahren's side.

He took his drink and asked for another.

Fahren served him even though he knew it was an alcohol induced dream.

"Your family is waiting for you, why don't you go?"

"Because I don't know how to deal with them."

Fahren opened his heart what he was hiding.

"I've never been one to treat others well and you know that perfectly well."

"Why do you act like no one knows you're a self-centered windbag?"

"Are you aware that there is an anti-Fahren movement in the Ministry of Magic?"

"Really? Those envious bastards of my big brain."

"Hahahaha. You say you don't know how to deal with others, but your behavior says otherwise."

After laughing, Myat told him his reason for being drinking.

"Fahren, we know that when you drink excessively, it's to avoid crying."

"The first time I saw you like this was when your father died."

"You didn't get along. But you didn't hate him, you loved him very much and respected him."

"But when he died, you had an emotional breakdown."

Fahren stopped his hand and tears began to fall to the floor.

"I... I don't want to believe you're dead."

"I don't want to lose one of my best friends. I didn't want my parents to die, I don't want to lose anyone."

"It scared me to think that I would die and Jake would be like me suffering in silence from losing his loved ones."

"I really don't want to lose anyone special to me. I don't want anyone to die again."

Fahren's forehead buried itself in the bar.

Myat smiled as he expelled all that he suffered.

"That's its Fahren. Let it all out, it's not good to keep the bad inside."

"But Fahren, you are not alone here, you have people who love and value you."

"Your wife and son, your servants, Randy and now you're friends with the Rosenberg´s."

"Now that Alvin is gone, there is no reason for this country to be in danger."

"Alvin?"

Fahren said wondering at that mention.

"Well, my time here is done, Fahren, see you later and remember, there's nothing wrong with opening up to others."

"Wait, Myat!"

Looking up, there was no one there.

"I guess the alcohol was too high, let's put it away..."

Fahren picked up the bottle and noticed it was empty, there was next to his glass another one which was empty.

He also felt a blizzard at the window which was closed until a moment ago.

His eyes opened and he ran to the balcony.

The moonlight illuminated that beautiful night.

Fahren cried out from the bottom of his heart.

"Thank you so much for everything, Myat!"

"I promise you... I will make sure this tragedy never happens again!"

"I... I will protect the empire and everyone so that way no one will ever cry about losing their loved ones again!"

"I promise you friend!"

◇◇◇

Fahren shouted from the balcony into the night sky.

A group of golden butterflies were flying across the skies as if they were traveling somewhere.

(It's a promise, my best friend.)

One of the butterflies mumbled something as it followed the rest and they disappeared through the moonbeams.

There is a children's story that says, the parents of orphaned children visit them in the form of butterflies to tell them they love them before ascending to paradise.

But these are just children's stories.

The deserved fanservice goes to the one who deserves it more for all he lived and learned, Fahren.

https://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/3203478

Look forward to the epilogue as it will blow your mind.

1