Chapter Six, More Enemies.
11 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Abigail stood still like an iceberg in a dead ocean, breathing heavily yet determined in solving the situation. Once Lady Maria touched her shoulder, Abigail knew that this was indeed a Mooncaller like her. The pulse in her chest became silent and Carvo seemed to notice Lady Maria's approach to Abigail.

"Oh, hey Maria!" Carvo said, oblivious to what Abigail knows.

"Hey, Carvo. What a nice apprentice you have!" The Mooncaller replied, putting its hand on Abigail's shoulder leaving her standing still in its grip.

"Thank you! She's called Ellie!" Carvo replied, slowly noticing Abigail's discomfort.

Abigail wasn't by any means a weak person nor a silent one, and after giving the situation a thought while Carvo and The Mooncaller spoke, she forged a plan in her mind, a plan that was a risk but the only right one to follow.

"Doctor Carvo, can I please talk to Lady Maria for a second? I'd like to know more about our neighbors!" Abigail said in a very childish manner, twisting her voice and personality to fit that young body, she then proceeded to gently remove the Mooncaller's hand off her shoulder and once Carvo agreed, Abigail walked it a little bit away from the market.

"I must say I'm impressed, you're truly smarter than I thought, does he know?" The Mooncaller asked as if Abigail and them had a prior conversation or as if it knew more about Abigail than she herself knew.

"No, nobody knows anything yet." Abigail said, she tried to follow The Mooncaller's attitude, and doing her best to protect Carvo.

"Name's Brando by the way, I'll be your ally in this part of the city. I know you have no idea what's going on yet, but I'll explain when the time is right." The Mooncaller said, revealing his true name, Brando.

"He will get suspicious if we keep on talking like that." Abigail said, trying to maintain her posture although she had no idea what she was doing.

"Fine, well, I don't trust you." Brando said in a menacing tone, Abigail's eyes widened yet she did her best to stay calm.

"I don't trust you either." She said, giving him back the same look.

"Okay, okay, listen. If you want to know more about yourself then come and meet me tomorrow at nine o'clock in the bitch's house." Brando said, Abigail sighed and waited a few seconds before she nodded.

"How do you know all of this?" Abigail asked, holding Maria's hand before Brando left without a notice, "You're still a kid after all, I'll be testing you." He said as he left.

Abigail felt the tense atmosphere between both of them, but also a sense of familiarity beaten within her hollow chest. Carvo stood there and surprisingly it looked like he suspected nothing at all although Clyde warned him of Lady Maria earlier. Abigail didn't feel afraid as much as she felt confused, how could Mooncallers speak and communicate normally like that? And how much information do they have on each other to know that Abigail awakened?

Abigail took a deep breath and analyzed Brando's hostility yet importance, and she decided to keep this as a secret from both Carvo and Clyde. Abigail walked back to Carvo feeling heavy and nauseous just from contacting that vicious beast, she wouldn't believe that Mooncallers were just humans, she couldn't believe that she was just a human.

"How did it go? Did he tell you any information?" Carvo quickly said, taking Abigail out of the market while she just had a blank expression, Carvo knew everything.

"Not much.." She sighed, realizing that Carvo was definitely smart.

"Fuck, there's a goddamn Mooncaller in the city, but now, I must thank you for handling this well, you've done great." Corvo thanked Abigail as she sighed in frustration and a little bit of confusion. Abigail then felt her head bursting with a thousand questions about what just happened.

As they walked through the busy streets, Abigail observed everything around her with her sharp eyes, leaving warm smiles to all those who look at her with curiosity, she was a new face but yet a familiar one, nobody could tell that she was Abigail, but no one can shake away the feeling of her being someone they somehow knew.

Once Carvo and Abigail reached the house, the siblings saw two men standing on the doorstep in The Protector Legions uniform, Abigail quickly panicked and  almost walked back but Carvo pushed her with him, "Its Dunken, act normally! Just like how we both just did. He's here to collect my research papers, he won't stay longer than few minutes." Carvo said, he reassured Abigail who took a deep breath and went following Carvo cautiously.

"We've been waiting here for too long, Carvo! Where have you been?" Sir Dunken said in a light tone. He was a very serious man but obviously not with his cousin, the man beside him was no one other than Andrew Lee who's eyes caught on Abigail right away, and it wasn't a welcoming look.

"Well, buying grocery of course! Come in, gentlemen!" Carvo said happily, leading the m inside while Abigail felt Andrew Lee's eyes stab right through her disguise, it was as if he knew everything.

The two men alongside the siblings went in and Abigail remainded silent, she waited for Carvo to introduce her while he exchabged few information with Dunken who was listening carefully, on the other hand, Andrew didn't take his eyes off Abigail.

"Who's she?" Dunken asked, tightening his eyes at Abigail as if he was squeezing his memory for something.
"Oh, how rude can I be! this is Ellie, my new apprentice! I figured out I needed some help..I'm getting old after all." Carvo introduced Abigail who smiled warmly at the two of them, "Nice to meet you ." She politely said, Andrew faked a smile she could determine, the two of them read each others attitude very well.

"She looks quite familiar.." Dunken said and Carvo obnoxiously laughed as an attempt to brush off his concern.
"She's just a normal kiddo, nothing to see here." Carvo said, patting Abigail on her shoulder as she awkwardly smiled at the two men, still noticing Andrew's unwelcoming gaze.

"We should talk privately now, Carvo." Dunken said as he cleared his throat and got off his chair, Carvo nodded and took him to his laboratory which was upstairs, he gave Abigail a look of confidence, assuring her that she can handle those few minutes with Andrew.

As soon as Carvo and Dunken went upstairs, Andrew sat on a chair and looked around him giving Abigail the chance to look at him more. She thought to herself that he looked dangerous and fierce, he was a threat alongside Brando and Clyde, in fact, the entire city is a threat to her peace. In her mind, Abigail felt something dark approaching her, and a million secret she still yet to unravel, but the more she starred at Andrew as he fixed his sword, the more she realized he was indeed quite handsome.

"You're old enough to join the legions, why are you slacking?" Andrew broke the silence and kept avoiding Abigail's eyes as he cleaned the sword from what seems to be small stains of blood.

"I can serve the city without a sword." Abigail said in great confidence showing no hesitation in replying to this mysterious man. Andrew glared at her in some sort of loathing.

"You seem to be of no use whatsoever, your work her won't help as much as you think it will." He said, Abigail could no longer hide her contempt which was very obvious on her pale face, it took her no longer than a second to return his blabbering.

"The death rates are on the rise, so you don't look so much of a use either." She smirked, looked him straight in his hazel eyes. He was a cold man who hardly showed emotions but that particular sentence drew a frown on his straight face.

"I don't think you realize the gravity of the situation, kid" He said, his tone became darker and more hostile, Abigail took offense for his unnecessary mean attitude but she took no time to think before returning his blabbering.

"No, I think I know better than you you. That's why I am here." Abigail said, pulling Andrew's calm and cold attitude away like a puppeteer.

"You're a mouthy kid." Andrew sighed, putting his hand on his sword instead of sheathing it as a threat.

"You don't look older than twenty either, so you're technically a kid too." Abigail laughed.

"It's not about age."

"You keep contradicting yourself."

"Listen here, Ellie." Andrew said, obviously irritated, "You don't want to have bad blood with me." He said, getting off his chair as he heard Dunken's steps down the stairs, "I couldn't careless." Abigail muttered as he got closer to her, hovering above her head with a menacing look. "Well, maybe you should, because I know that there's something behind you, and my hunch is never wrong." Andrew glared at Abigail who couldn't reply as they were interrupted by Carvo and Dunken.

"Let's go, Andrew, we've no time to waste." Dunken said as the two excused themselves and Abigail starred in disgust at Andrew, feeling threatened and exposed in front of her worst enemy.

Andrew was too dangerous and she knew he should be eliminated in order for her to live on, and suddenly, taking a life wasn't a strange idea in her head.
The two glared at each other as Andrew went out. Abigail found herself trapped between two choices, either disposing of Andrew's concerns before its too late, or dispose of Andrew himself.

"Come downstairs Abby, we need to talk." Carvo said as he made sure the two men left, his face was worried and it looked like Abigail has more to worry about now.

Brando, Andrew and Clyde. The list keeps getting longer and blood shed is unavoidable. How can humanity's worst enemy live among them so easily? And how could the once faithful child turn into a vicious monster with a rising tendency for blood?

Five days left for Fullmoon, until then, her truth shall be hidden.

1