Chapter 27 ─ Judging
48 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Every step we get closer to the scene I want to show, it's just a matter of time to see it.

After the captains' meeting ended.

Rogue walked to her carriage.

"Let's go home."

"Understood."

Replied the carriage driver who was waiting for him while smoking.

Before getting in, he saw Bret walking in the same direction as those who didn't have a carriage.

Rogue was annoyed that a man of lesser abilities than his would try to stand up to him.

He closed the driver's door and then climbed into the carriage.

The ride home was a long one, which gave Rogue time to think about several things.

Among them.

"How will Fionn be?"

His son's training.

◇◇◇

Residence of the Eisenberg family.

A prestige as an ancient baronet household.

In the Brune Kingdom there are several ancient knightly families.

But the oldest of all are the Eisenbergs.

They have existed since the time when the royal family of Frazier still existed.

Why didn't they support them if they were so loyal?

That was because the Fraziers broke their pact to protect the people.

The knights exist for the good of the kingdom.

The royal guard protects the royal family while the ordinary knights protect the people.

After making several fat sights at the Fraziers' brazen acts.

The Eisenbergs unconvincingly supported the Brune in this coup d'état.

They were rewarded with being the first squad of royal knights, being the first margraves.

The title of margrave is attained but not inherited.

If such a family cannot meet the established standards, they will be removed from power.

This is an insurance placed in order to avoid possible traitors or abuse of power.

There are families who are knights and formerly held the title of margrave.

For Rogue, who was raised that way.

It was insulting that someone other than an Eisenberg was worthy of being in that position.

Therefore, deep down he felt envy and anger towards Sieghart, who has been since his grandfather's generation as the commanding captain.

After generations of Eisenbergs have not been qualified to inherit that position.

His grandfather died unable to live up to his father's expectations.

Then came his father who died unable to make the family proud.

Currently Rogue is the last of his family to see Sieghart as captain commander.

He does not consider that the king would ask Sieghart to step down from his post.

The king would not even jokingly lose the man who fought several times for the royal family in the past.

That is why he is not worried.

For even if he is number two on his deathbed.

His son will be the one who becomes number one.

Arriving at his mansion, the servants lined up and greeted him.

"Welcome back, Rogue-sama."

"I have returned."

Rogue walked unblinkingly down the long driveway to the entrance of his house.

The chief butler opened the door and more servants greeted him.

In Brune, the number of people possessing naturally dark skin was very low.

Almost all were immigrants from the desert kingdom of Gabino, or were slaves who came to this country and were freed.

The Eisenberg lineage is so mixed that they themselves forgot whether their skin color was natural or artificial.

They only cared about one thing, being the best of them all.

He reached his room and placed his armor on his shelf.

He greeted his wife who was lying in bed due to illness.

Then he went to the bathroom and after all that... he went to see his son in the back garden.

It was vacation, the youngsters would return to classes in a few days.

As he came out, a huge garden full of flowers and training dummies were in sight.

In the center, being watched by servants, stood a healthy-looking young man full of sweat and shirtless.

His toned muscles were marked every time his spear recoiled and struck as he went to the front.

His skin was dark like his father, his grayish black hair was so long he had it tied up in a small metal tube that reached down his back.

His eyebrows were well polished like a sword, his gaze was straight and stern, his orange eyes gave him a very wild and aggressive look.

"How are you doing, Fionn?"

The young man turned around.

"Oh, father. You're back, how did the meeting go?"

His son─ Fionn Eisenberg, one of the protagonist's strongest allies, made an appearance at last.

◇◇◇

After finishing their training, father and son headed for lunch.

The lady of the house couldn't leave her room so she eats alone, her husband and son keep her company while eating, then they make it at the table to chat about work-related things.

"I see. So that Elliott fellow dared to pick a fight with you."

"Indeed. I was so shocked I couldn't believe it."

Fionn asked his father how the monthly meeting went.

He was surprised to learn that another captain, one that no one respected and mocked, stood up to him.

Fionn didn't like that.

"It's really annoying that a guy like that dares to pick a fight with the legendary demon spear Eisenberg."

"Don't call me that. I hate nicknames and that one sounds over the top."

"But father. Didn't you say that before I was born, you killed a huge 20-meter troll?"

"Just by using your two spears you cut its head off."

"You went from being twin spear to being the demon spear because of your truthfulness."

Rogue hated being called nicknames, he didn't need one other than commander.

But more he was embarrassed that with that nickname, they thought he was the strongest man in the country when there was already someone else.

Rogue changed the subject.

"Fionn, this year is the festival."

"Unlike the past two times where you lost or were tied. This time you must win."

Fionn looked at his father the same way he looked at him.

"Of course I do."

◇◇◇

At a training ground located in a knight family residence, there were two young men.

One of them, used his sword to attack his opponent.

The boy with shapely muscles, short spiky green hair, hazel eyes.

Oliver Bennett swung his sword to cut off his opponent's head, but the young man in front of him activated a magic shield to keep him from being hit.

The young man of shorter stature and slender build was the son of a count who belonged to the Four Families of great name in the country after the royal family. His short hair combed to the sides like a bookworm with glasses included. Dark blue hair and green eyes with a sharp look.

Isaac Ashton attacked using a fireball.

The two were practicing.

Oliver swung up and down his sword, while Isaac repelled him by activating shields and occasionally throwing a fireball.

The head of the house, Markus came in wearily.

"Oh? Oliver, are you training with Isaac?"

Markus asked, Oliver turned and answered.

"Father, you're back. I'm busy now."

"I understand. We'll see you later then."

Markus went inside leaving the boys to train.

◇◇◇

After an hour, he came back out and found them both on the floor.

He ordered some servants to bring them water and fruit to recharge energy.

After watching them rehydrate and eat something, he sat down near them.

"You guys sure practice hard boys."

"Sorry to greet you late sir."

"No worries. I understand that you guys are focused on training, after all, the tournament is just a short time away."

The Magic Sword Tournament.

A most important event for the protagonist, his allies and his harem.

This event is just the typical event that always comes up in games where you have to defeat companions and level up.

What makes this event so important in this world is that it is a fusion of two events.

One of fencing and one of magic.

The winner has two paths to choose from.

To be a court magician or to be a member of the royal knights upon graduation.

This is why it was important for the young men aspiring to those positions.

As they were both from the same school year, they lost in the first year, they have two more attempts left as the festival is only held once a year during the closing stage of the school year.

Oliver asked his father.

"How did the meeting go?"

"It went well, a little anxious as two classmates came close to fighting. Rogue and Bret Elliott."

"I know Captain Eisenberg, I fought his son last year and we both lost. But Captain Elliott I don't know."

Markus rubbed his beard before speaking.

"It's complicated to say, at first he was a nobody. We all knew it and everyone accepted it."

"But... there was that event recently."

"The day the money was stolen and he was framed for it."

Markus looked up at the sky, a new one covered the sun.

"I was shocked. When I arrived... he single-handedly defeated the criminals who broke in, leaving proof that he was so strong he was hiding it."

"Those guys were mysterious criminals who were associated with a clandestine organization was what we discovered."

"I was really blown away by it."

Markus returned his gaze to the ground.

"I understood that day that judging people by their appearance or aptitude is a mistake."

"A man who looks so simple turned out to be more capable than I thought, smearing his name to eliminate enemies of the country. Not even the commander would dare that he said."

*Laughs*

"It's funny no doubt. That's why boy, you should never doubt whether your opponent is someone weak or strong, you can get hurt and on the battlefield it's death."

Oliver and Isaac took that advice.

Interestingly, that advice they would get after the tournament last school year after failing three times in a row and giving up.

The protagonist would give them words of encouragement and they would end up just like now, clear-headed and not trusting.

Indirectly, Bret contributed to their growth.

◇◇◇

Royal Palace.

The seat where the most important family in the country lies.

Where the laws that keep them human are dictated.

In one of its long corridors decorated with red carpets and valuable vases in every corner.

Two young men were walking.

One of them was reviewing a document handed to him by his companion at his side.

The young man next to him was a tall, thin boy, effeminate face like his voice, long orange hair tied over his shoulder and beautiful amber eyes.

Belonging to a viscount family, Alfred Bacon commented on what he read.

"There are no reports of enemy sightings on our borders."

"Everything is clear."

"I see."

The young man in the ceremonial cloak replied.

An attractive boy with blond hair and bright blue eyes. He had a good physique and was also the future king.

The crown prince, Sigurd von Brune.

As usual, he wanted to help his father by lightening some of his burden.

Alfred, who was his right-hand man as a childhood friend, wanted to support him.

The two stopped near a window, Sigurd─ Sig as many called him, sighed.

"This is very irritating."

"What's wrong Sig?"

He looked at his friend with a pitiful face.

"Al, I've been going over papers since the close of last semester, I haven't been able to sleep well and in less than a few days we'll be going back to class."

Alfred laughed at the sight of him.

"Well, you're the one who asked for some of the king's burden."

"I know, but that's why I don't understand."

He showed him some papers.

"The prime minister is supposed to be in charge of half of them. But the former prime minister is dead and there's no backup yet."

"The worst thing is that certain ministers involved should have approved some things, but I'm seeing that those approvals were only verbal and those problems have never been dealt with."

What Sig says is normal, when Harrisburg was in charge, he placed many friends of his in important positions.

The reasons why they are so busy is because many of those documents were forged and do nothing.

Because of the corruption, the ministers and the future king are stressed.

An inevitable proof that corruption always brings misfortune by placing incompetents in important positions.

Sig opened the window and shouted.

"I hate thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis!"

Alfred covered his ears, after a while he removed his fingers and looked at Sig.

"Are you feeling better?"

"Yes. But I'm still bad, Eli hasn't sent a letter."

Sig loved his younger sister very much.

That's why he didn't want her, like their parents even, not to marry Rei.

But Eli manipulated them all unknowingly and they became engaged.

One of the reasons was because Rei is not someone who seems rational or mentally stable.

The other was because of the reason why the ducal family and the royal family, who should have a deep bond, were on bad terms.

Alfred also sighed, but to hear him tell it.

"I understand that you worry about Eli-chan, but if she didn't want to take her maids with her, it's because she is safe."

"I know..."

Sig said depressed.

He then walked over to Al and grabbed his shoulders.

"But what if she wants to go somewhere for a walk and he won't let her out?"

"Or what if she suffers psychological abuse from him?"

"Or what about─"

After hearing him say nonsensical things, Alfred thought.

(I understand that you love your younger sister very much... but man, don't be such a siscon!)

◇◇◇

Northern border of Brune, territory of the Aldini barony.

A group of merchants were crossing in their carriages.

One of them was stopped by a knight.

"Documents please."

"Sure."

The merchant handed over his papers.

The knight asked the usual questions.

"What business do you have here?"

"Just as it says on my papers, I am a cotton merchant. I come from the south and because Norden is in chaos now I can't sell my product."

"I hope to manage to sell everything so that I can get money so that my family can get through this month without monetary problems."

"Is something wrong? I heard that the control at the borders was not as great as this."

The knight replied after he finished reading the papers.

"We are on alert in case soldiers from the principality seek to cause conflict."

"It is of utmost importance to have full control of the situation."

"How awful that sounds, I hope everything will be settled soon."

"So do we, we get paid so little for so many hours on our feet and unpleasant meals."

"That's what you get to live with these days."

"Hahaha that's true. Go ahead, there are more people to check out."

"Thank you."

The merchant walked in, continued on down an alley and stopped.

From the seat where he was, the top opened and Diethard stepped out.

"I took so many precautions for nothing. They're useless, those knights."

"They didn't check the merchandise thinking they were hiding someone."

"What's more, that guy was just glancing at the document. They're incompetent, all of them."

"Anyway, I did my job."

The merchant handed him a pile of money from the Kingdom that he got illegally.

"Here."

"I appreciate it."

"No. It's all for the good of the cult, it's natural to support us in our goals."

The merchant was part of the death goddess cult.

If a minor merchant was in, anyone could be.

Trusting a person at this time was something that could cost you your life.

Diethard took off his clothes and changed into a commoner, even a cap of the time he got.

"Alright, time to gather information and then proceed with the plan."

At that moment, the Brune Kingdom opened the gates to the enemy.

Today's fanservice was going to be Oriana, but I remembered something while writing the chapter.

Doesn't she look like Alfred?

Worst of all, the one on her side looks like what Sig would look like as a woman, even down to her sister's giggles she has XD.

https://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/4550860

1