Kaguya – II
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Friends, Kaguya decided, is something that can turn the boring days to a more colourful one. Whereas family would give her comfort, just like how Nurarihyon helped her before, friends on the other hand would brighten the days just by being there with you.

Kaguya enjoyed her time with Kusa and Yamausagi. They have been the best of friends ever since Nurarihyon brought her to visit Ichimoku's temple and since then the trio have gone through many adventures under the watchful eyes of Inugami. Many times they have avoided him, not because he was scary, but because Yamausagi was sometimes too excited they sometimes lost the dog youkai. It wasn't a bad thing though since in the end the three of them always return without any problem.

Today however, may not be one of those days.

"Yamausagi you idiot! We're lost!"

"Well why didn't you try to stop me before we did huh!?"

"I did you stupid rabbit!"

Kaguya was in full panic mode seeing her two friends fight. Not only did they shout but they went as far as to hurt each other! Though thankfully they haven't used their power. Still Kaguya doesn't want that to happen so she uses her powers to stop the two.

Bamboo trees propped up from the ground, splitting the two and encasing them. Kaguya didn't want to do it, and seeing their shocked look she felt a little guilty for suddenly using her power, but she must be firm to stop others from fighting, just like how Ootengu taught her!

"P-please stop fighting!" She pleads, not quite how Ootengu commands his kin but it's her first attempt at this!

Kaguya was afraid that they wouldn't stop, but seeing them stop bickering she was gladdened. Truly Ootengu has the best of advices! With a clap of her hand Kaguya let the bamboo trees return to the ground, releasing the two of their temporary prisons.

The two were still glaring at one another but at least they're not fighting. That means they're at least willing to cooperate right? At least that's what Ichimoku said to her. It was when Kaguya was trying to remember what other advice she received that she felt water on her head. She looked to see the dark sky pouring drops of water onto her.

Kaguya was about to use her power to grow bamboo trees for them to shelter them but Yamausagi cries stopped her before she managed to do so. "Hey look! A house! Let's go there and take shelter!" As always the bunny youkai didn’t wait for a response before leaving, prompting her and Kusa to follow.

Kaguya felt apprehension the closer they got. As a land god it was her duty to give blessings as well as ward curses on her domain, she has experience with both and though they may not be as plentiful as Ichimoku she has gained enough to handle them. The house however felt unlike anything she had felt before, it reeked of sorcery, yet she could not feel any malice coming from it. It makes her feel more scared because that would mean that the youkai living there would have plenty of experience, something that none of them have. A quick glance at Kusa’s pale face showed that she came to the same conclusion as she did. Kaguya was about to pull Yamausagi back but before she managed to grab her the rabbit youkai already knocked the door and announced their arrival.

“Excuse me! Can we stay here to wait for the rain to pass by?”

Yamausagi no!

Kaguya wanted to scream, and maybe hit the girl. How could she be so oblivious!? Did she not feel the immense power shrouding the hut or did she just ignore it? There will be no doubt that Kusa will hit the rabbit youkai later and this time Kaguya would not stop it, but for the time being Kaguya is thinking of ways on how to escape the place with all three of them or at the very least alert Inugami of their location.

Time however doesn’t seem to be on their side as the door opens. Kaguya braced herself for a possible fight but she was bewildered at the person opening the door.

A child, as common as they get with black hair and eyes. Judging by how small she is she’s no more than five but that’s not what causes her bewilderment. What caught her off guard was that she’s a human, an actual living human child with no signs of being manipulated.

Kaguya shook her head. No, this must be a trap like the stories Ootengu told her. It’s not uncommon for youkai to show affection to a human child so that others may lower their guard before they are killed by the youkai. Or maybe the girl is actually a youkai in disguise, it’s not the first time someone managed to elude her senses, Nurarihyon is one such example. Whichever it was, it only alerted Kaguya further.

Though Kaguya became less confident in her deduction of the girl as she gave them a sweet innocent smile, allowing them entry as she opened the door wide.

“Sure! Stay here as long as you want!”

Kaguya, and Kusa showed reluctance. Unfortunately the same can’t be said for Yamausagi as she simply nodded her head in gratitude before dragging them inside. “Thank you!”

The three made themselves at home, as instructed by their tiny host who left as she went to the kitchen to procure some drinks. The inside of the hut was warm but there’s no fire anywhere near them which makes Kaguya more worried than ever. The entire house has been enchanted, worst of all Kaguya can’t sense them at all. Now they’re inside a powerful youkai that’s an expert in enchantment lair, something that Ootengu, and even Inugami told them to avoid at all cost!

Their host came back and gave them tea but Kaguya was too afraid to touch anything inside the house. Who knows what other sorcery the youkai has up her sleeves! Yamausagi, as expected, held no such worry as she thanked the girl-who-may-be-a-youkai and drink it all in one take.
Wiping her mouth with her sleeve, Yamausagi let out a satisfied sound. “That’s a great drink! Thank you!”

“You’re welcome! Kokkuri taught me how to make one, it’s not as great but I’m glad it still tastes nice!”

“Kokkuri? Who’s that?” Kusa asked, and Kaguya is glad that at least one of her friends picked up on that. She’s too busy panicking over the possibility of an additional youka living in the hut.

“She’s my friend!” The girl answered enthusiastically “She’s really really nice! She taught me all kinds of stuff, and how to cook rice!” Then with a sheepish smile the girl rubbed her head in embarrassment. “She also taught me not to talk to strangers but I couldn’t just let someone out cold in the rain especially if they’re my age.”

“Eh? Won’t you be in trouble then? That’s no good! We should leave before she returns, then we don’t want to cause any more troubles for you.”

As expected of Kusa! To find a way to excuse ourselves without being rude and arousing suspicions, no wonder Yamausagi can live for so long! It was such a flawless excuse that Kaguya felt a little sorry seeing the girl’s crestfallen face but her fear was far greater than her guilt.

It was a shame that Yamausagi spelled their doom once again. “Eh? You know we just explained what happened. I’m sure that she won’t get angry.” Yamausagi then blinked, as if he was just remembering something. “Oh yeah! I still don’t know your name! It’s a good thing Inugamis isn’t here or else he’ll spank me for being so rude! I’m Yamausagi, the greatest rabbit youkai you’ll ever meet!”

Kaguya was sure that Inugami would still spank the rabbit just for a different cause. Now with their excuse being cut, both Kaguya and Kusa’s felt resigned, a clear contrast to their host's happy expression. “Nice to meet you too! I’m Rumi, a human!”

“Yamausagi, you idiot.” Kusa mutters, a statement Kaguya wholeheartedly supports, before introducing herself. “I’m Kusa, a grass youkai. Nice to meet you.”

“K-Kaguya, the bamboo forest land god.” Kaguya then blinked as she recalled the last bit of Rumi’s introduction and let out the first thing she thought of. “Wait, if you’re a human then how come this house is shrouded by sorcery?”

“Oh you notice that?” Rumi asked, surprised. “Kokkuri was the one that did it, though she did say that no one but land gods or powerful youkai should notice it. You must be pretty strong then Kusa!”

“More like a developed survival instinct thanks to Yamausagi’s stupidity.”

“What was that pipsqueak!”

“You heard me you idiot rabbit!”

Kaguya ignores the two as they bicker as she calms her nerves. She already knew that the one to enchant the hut must be powerful, but she needs to get a firm grasp of just how powerful this Kokkuri is to have a chance to escape. “U-um, Kokkuri sounds so strong… just how powerful is she?”

“Hmm…” Rumi put a hand on her chin, thinking of an answer. “She said she’s quite strong but is pretty weak for her species. Pretty infamous too, since she said she was hunted down for her whole life. That’s all I know of…”

Kaguya gulped, her nervousness increasing at a rapid pace. Strong and infamous isn’t exactly a good combination. Could it be that Kokkuri is an Oni? No that doesn’ sound like it, Ootengu said that Oni usually gather in groups so that can’t be it. Inugami’s family? They live in the west and don’t have any reason to go here though. She racked her brain for a species that fit the clues she have based on Ootengu’s lessons one by one until she settled on one.

Known as temptress and powerful sorcerers. This specific youkai are well known to make empires and dynasties fall by captivating the hearts of many. Beautiful, dangerous, and proficient in enchantment, just the thinking of the possibility of facing one of them brought Kaguya to a hardened panic.

I need to get us out of here! Call Inugami, Ootengu, anyone!

Kaguya’s ragged breath was noticed by the other three as they all looked at her in worry. Kusa approaches her, holding her by the shoulder asking her in concern “Kaguya, are you alright?”

No she’s not, none of them save Rumi unless they get out of here. She opened her mouth to shout, to cry, to plead, to do anything that will make Kusa and Yamausagi follow her to leave the hut. But before she managed to utter a single word a voice called out to their host, a sound so like death itself for Kaguya.

“Rumi~ I’m home!”

Kaguya looked at the person who opened the door. Soft fur tails, and ears with small fangs on her mouth. A beautiful face accompanied by a melodious voice, a deadly combination with the addition of the kimono she’s wearing makes her a sight to behold. But Kaguya only felt fear as she saw this beautiful visage, she felt the power that’s hidden beneath her blossoming looks, a power comparable to even Ootengu himself. When the woman cast her golden eyes at her? Kaguya could only do what others would’ve done in a stressed situation.

She fainted.

As she tumbled down, as darkness envelop her consciousness she couldn’t help but wonder why is a Kitsune here of all places.

0