Ch 223: My life belongs to you. I couldn’t live if anything happened to you
428 3 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If you want to support, you can do so at: https://www.patreon.com/finlegost

There, you can find 18 chapters in advance. Thanks to my patrons and to those who comment on the chapters. It means a lot to me and motivates me to continue this hobby of mine.

And, of course, thanks to everyone who reads this novel.

*************************************

 

After saying goodbye to Victor, I went back to the place in the forest that I usually use to get to and from the war zone without being seen and I used space travel to my home in the capital to check on some information.

And, after a long journey, which took me longer than I had initially thought, I arrived at the address that was written on the paper that Cael had given me.

Before, I didn't know if the information he had given me was correct, but now I don't have to worry about that.

At the indicated place, located in the rich area of the city, I saw a huge family house whose front is being used as a bank, with many customers constantly coming and going in and out.

Upon entering, I could quickly check what the stalker commander meant when he told me that I would not doubt the veracity of his words once I saw the people living at the address he gave me.

His brother's face is literally the same as his, which is to be expected of twins, but unlike Cael, who dresses in any manner and has multicolored dreadlocks in his hair, his brother has neatly combed hair and wears a fine suit, which gives him a professional and refined air.

His parents were also working in what appeared to be the family business.

They also bore some resemblance to Cael, though not as much as his brother.

Once I checked this out, I decided to return home so I could use space travel to visit the Solitary Temple.

Maybe I should have activated the smart clone earlier today, considering everything that's happened when I entered the war zone.

But the new Intelligence extra points have to count for something.

Besides, Commander Cael is too perceptive for me to risk activating the smart clone in the middle of our conversation.

Surely he would have noticed instantly that something odd was going on.

'Is it a sign of intelligence or stupidity to want to be more independent and not rely on the smart clone when faced with this kind of problem?'

I am currently in front of the Solitary Temple, and it seems that, this time, the stupid spear is not very attentive since my girls have not come out to greet me.

I approach the building to enter and notice, thanks to the minimap on my interface and the sounds coming from inside the temple, that Alessia and Delia are in the kitchen, chatting happily.

However, as soon as I cross the entrance to the temple, the sound of their voices stops.

Curious, I walk towards the direction from which the sound came only moments ago and see that they are both looking in my direction.

'I guess that means the stupid spear was indeed attentive; only my girls didn't want to bother coming out to greet me...'

I don't know if I'm more annoyed by the former or the latter.

"Hi, Emir! You're just in time for a snack; come and sit with us," says Delia cheerfully.

She is sitting at the table, next to Alessia, eating some snacks while they enjoy some tea.

"Hello, Master, Where were you while we were enjoying our girl time?" asks Alessia suspiciously.

I'm curious as to what exactly they must have talked about in their 'girl time', but it's best not to ask.

They seem to have settled their differences, and as long as the three of us are on good terms, everything else doesn't matter.

"I went to the war zone to explain to my... boss my plans to leave the army, as well as to tell him that Delia would also stop going," I say as I approach the table and take a piece of toast from a basket, after which I start to spread jam on it.

At this information, Delia prefers not to say anything, but I can see her conflicted look behind her attempts to act normal.

I know that my idea of her quitting her job in the war zone is not quite to her liking at the moment, but sooner or later she will see my point of view.

'Anyway, when I told Delia that I thought the war would calm down and that she would no longer be needed in the war zone, in order to convince her to accept the idea of the clinic, I had no idea how true that excuse I made up at the time was....

Could it be that the Luck profile had something to do with the fact that my words became real?…

Nah, it can't be'

"So?" asks Alessia again, after taking a brief sip of her tea.

"So... Let's just say things didn't go as well as I thought." I say and proceed to explain to them the results of my conversation with the recon group commander.

"That's outrageous! I didn't think Commander Cael would be so mean as to resort to that kind of threat; I thought he was a good person!" says Delia in dismay as I finish recounting the content of the terms proposed by Cael, to agree to Delia stopping going to the war zone.

"Well, if you're going to the war zone, I'm going with you. My place is at your side," says Alessia with conviction.

"And mine too!" says Delia hastily, scowling at Alessia.

"Relax; it's really no big deal. I'd just have to do what I've been doing so far, and that's not much work really," I say quickly, not liking the direction this conversation is taking, and therefore trying to downplay what happened to convince them that there really isn't any risk.

'At the end of the day, there are very few who can match my speed when I have the Agility profile activated…

And if I combine that with the strategic advantage of my minimap and a few Scrolls of Silence during the night....

No matter how many enemies are looking for me, I'm invincible as long as I don't decide to expose myself.'

"That's what worries me! Yesterday, we barely made it out alive. I don't understand how you've been so stupid to be doing that kind of thing alone all this time, but I'm not going to let you go alone anymore," says Alessia, looking at me with irritation.

At the mention of the risky situation Alessia and I were in yesterday, Delia looks very surprised but quickly rushes to Alessia's side of the conversation.

"Yes! I agree with Alessia! We're a couple; our duty is to have each other's backs for better or worse," says Delia, clenching her little fists.

'I don't like this new two-against-one dynamic if I'm the one who's always on the losing side…

I have to somehow assert my position in this relationship...

But now that's not important'

"Look, Alessia... No offense, but I've been doing well so far, and the reality is that yesterday I probably wouldn't have had any trouble getting out of that situation either if I'd been alone. I... I have my methods, but they only work if I don't have company," I say, though it pains me to say these words that I know will hurt my girl's pride.

But they are necessary for her to understand my point of view.

"I... My life belongs to you. I couldn't live if anything happened to you," says Alessia's hoarse voice with helplessness and wet eyes.

At the blonde girl's comment, Delia rises from her chair to hug her.

I am momentarily speechless.

'It's true that she is my slave, but I have never treated her as such....

But if I were to die…

What would happen to Alessia?...

I have to talk to her about this another time. I don't like the hidden meaning in that last comment.'

"... But I understand…" says Alessia suddenly, with an iron will in her voice, from between Delia's arms "... I know I'm still not on your level, at least for now"

"I don't like that you have to sacrifice your freedom so that I can stop going to my job..... But if Alessia's company would be a hindrance to you in the war zone, I suppose I wouldn't be any help either," says Delia pityingly, releasing Alessia to look at me.

"It's not like that. You're both amazing, and in any other situation, I wouldn't hesitate to take you with me..." I say, surprised by my girls' self-deprecating words and reaching over to stroke their cheeks.

"... but this time it's not a question of level but of strategy. When I'm alone, I can resort to stealth to move faster and silently. The thing is, for this kind of tactic, being with more people just makes us easier to spot."

"It's okay... I told you I understood," says Alessia with a slightly cutting tone, resting one of her hands in mine and squeezing gently with affection as we look directly into each other's eyes.

"I think we should take a bath. We've been cleaning up this whole time you've been gone, and we're a little sweaty.... Do you want to join us?" suddenly says Delia with a boldness that is very rare for her, as she looks at Alessia and me with a slightly strange smile.

"Do you really have to ask that?" I ask in response, grinning from ear to ear.

13