Ch 125: Where will Old Gerald’s missions lead?
1.6k 6 49
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'I see… Now I understand. This is the time why I've been accumulating so much loot.'

It's not as if I would keep them there forever. It's just that their value is much lower compared to that of a rune. I told myself to accumulate one type of loot until it reaches the value of a gold coin and then sell it, but I'll need dozens of them to achieve that goal.

But now a new horizon has just opened up before my eyes. 

'Why didn't I think of that before? Some people create missions to collect a certain kind of loot. That way, they save money on buying it. I should simply accept a quest and then withdraw the loot accumulated in my inventory, thus saving me from going to defeat monsters. Well, that will be my way from this day forward.'

Old Gerald: "..."

'- Did this brat do it on purpose?! No… It's impossible that he knew about them. I said them all randomly, after all! I don't even need them! Well, for now, let's check their legitimacy.'

The old man removed a magic item from his storage ring and analyzed the spoils.

'- They're real! Now, what do I do? No, wait. I just need to mention more items, that's all.'

"Well done. You accomplished my first mission."

'First mission? Why do I have a bad feeling about this?'

"As for the second mission, I need 10 [Thin blade], and 10 [Bee Honey]"

'There's a second mission. I knew it! Well, luckily, it’s the loot that I also have accumulated in my inventory.'

I casually waved my hand and put them on the counter.

Old Gerald: "..."

'- Is he doing this on purpose??! I don't even need to evaluate them. I know they are authentic. But let's take a little time. I need to think about the third mission...'

Again, he evaluated the loot carefully and then nodded.

"Well done. You accomplished my second mission. As for the third..."

Emir: "..."

"I need an [Infernal Eye] and a [Silent Paw]."

'- Hehehehe... waahahaha! Even I know that they are rare loot and only appear on the upper floors of large labyrinths. A brat like you? You dream if you think-... ... ... ... ... ... ... Those things on the counter... Are they the things I think they are?'

Old Gerald: "..."

I'm on a roll. I've already completed three missions in a row with just the accumulated loot. I'll say it one more time. This will be my way forward from this day forward!

With trembling hands, the old man assessed the loot and then took three steps back.

"You! You!!!!! Haa... haa... W- Well done! You accomplished the third mission!"

'Ah, by his look... I know there's a fourth.'

"As the fourth mission, you must... Mm... ah, right. You must defeat a boar monster that has been destroying crops and grasslands. Once you slay it, show me its loot, and you will have completed this mission."

'Hmm… Putting aside his quests. Perhaps it is time to make my requirements known before he continues to create more of them.'

"Alright. I'll do it, but... I'm doing this so that I can create a friendship with you. Don't you think you're being too inconsiderate when I've done so many things for free?"

"Tch, okay. Tell me what you want."

"A magic item that will prevent third parties from remembering my face."

Old Gerald: "!!!"

'Let's think about it a bit. Gerald is a Magic Refiner. This means he can create magic items. According to the three annoying beauties, he specializes in creating storage rings. But I'm sure such a craft must have brought him into contact with dozens of different magical items. It's very likely he has what I want.'

After some thought, Gerald spoke again.

"Once you defeat the monster, we'll talk."

Without waiting for my reply, the old man wrote on a piece of paper the approximate location of the monster and handed it to me. 

'It's a pity he doesn't possess a map of the city, as I could have updated the map on my user interface.'

"See you in a bit, Old Gerald."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever you say, brat."

'- Going back? You'll be lucky if you make it out alive! Haa... Since that stupid war started, all the strong adventurers are gone. If it wasn't for that, the damn monster would have been killed a long time ago!'

'I feel like the old man's look says a lot, but since we're just getting to know each other, I won't ask anything. Besides, I'm afraid if I ask again, he'll get angry and throw weapons around at me.'

On leaving his store, I approached the first person I met and asked for directions. Following his instructions, I walked down different streets and arrived at the place indicated on the paper.

This is a plot of land completely devoted to crops, with moist soil and hundreds of plants ready to harvest...

Or so it should be.

The crops are withering, and all the land is destroyed, as if it had been forcibly uprooted and set aside. It is impossible to plant anything in this place unless all the land is put back in its place, but the most important thing is... the monster sleeping on the ground.

[Armored Boar Lvl 20]

As its name implies, it is a boar-type monster. The special thing about it is that the bones on its back grew out of proportion, forming a kind of armor that covers much of its body. Its size is 3m tall and a little over 6m long.

"Level 20, huh? If you compare a human and a monster possessing the same level, then the monster will win for sure. The only exception is if the human has exceptional skills and battle experience."

If it was just one class, then my chances of winning would be low. But I possess the user interface, and several of my classes are over level 20! Adding my bow and arrows with magic skills, my chances increase even more.

'Activate [Strength] profile.'

Removing the bow from my inventory, I reach the state of full concentration and shoot.

*Fwooosh*

With a great roar, the arrow was sent flying, and in just a fraction of a second, it arrived in front of the enemy.

The arrow [Incineration] passed to the side of the bones protecting the monster and stuck straight into its forehead. At that very moment, fire spread through its fur, and the monster groaned from the pain.

"Ogiii!"

Shaking its head from side to side, it tried to put out the fire. But its outer bones interrupted the fire, although part of its fur was on fire.

"This isn't what I expected..." I shook my head.

That arrow should have pierced part of its skull, and the fire should have done the rest of the work. I never expected the damage from my arrow to be only external.

"Graaa!"

'Shit, it found me.'

Very angrily, it started running in my direction. Its outer bones mercilessly destroyed the earth and anything that got in its way. 

'If the monster happens to hit me with them, those bones will cause me fatal injuries!'

Because of its bones, the only hole wide enough to hit my arrows is in its forehead. But I fear that, if I fire arrows mindlessly, I will never be able to pierce its skull.

Emir: "!!!!"

'Right, my arrows have magical abilities. Then I'll apply a strategy that only magicians use!'

By releasing the string, the arrow [Freeze] was shot.

"Ogiii!" the monster groaned from the pain, and for a few seconds it stopped in place.

As the ice touched its forehead with the fire, they fought each other, but quickly a winner appeared. The freezing arrow is the winner because it was the last one I shot. In other words, its magic power was greater than the fire, which is slowly losing its mana and turning into common fire.

Now on the monster's forehead, the fire has disappeared, but in return, ice has appeared, freezing around the arrow.

Smiling, I shot the second arrow.

*Fwooosh*

"Ogiii!!!"

The fire spread across its forehead, destroying the ice and making the monster feel great pain. The boar groaned like never before. The radical temperature change left its little brain unable to catch up.

'Haa… as expected for a level 20 monster.'

For any other monster or human, such arrows should have been enough to apply overkill. But on the whole, they only caused pain and external damage. Its skull is still intact.

*Fwooosh*

"Ogiii!!!! Graaa!!!!"

This time the ice froze its forehead again, but... the monster's hatred reached its peak, and with bloodshot eyes, he started to run in my direction without caring about the damage he suffered.

"C' mon. C' mon. C' mon."

*Fwooosh*

"Ogiii!!!! Graaa!!!!"

"Ahhh."

Being in this situation makes my hair stand on end. A monster in a berserker state is coming toward me. And my arrows still haven't killed it!

'Now I understand why old Gerald looked so confident. Anyone in my position would have died a long time ago!'

*Fwooosh*

"Ogiii!!!! Graaa!!!!"

*Fwooosh*

"Ogiii!!!! Graaa!!!!"

The cycle of ice and fire has been repeated several times. But the monster doesn't even move its head anymore trying to put out the fire or break the ice. All it wants to do is eat my flesh and drink my blood!

'It hates my guts!'

49