Chapter 10 – When You Gaze Into the Abyss
304 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The traverse through the forest was uneventful, as we approach the city of Raefye I notice that everybody seems to be on high alert. At the top of the walls, there is a line of archers looking from side to side with a hand already in their quiver.

 

A high-ranking-looking soldier beastkin woman with owl-like features notices we approaching from a small embrasure in the fortified walls and barks an order to open the gates. The gates only open slightly, leaving a small vertical breach that I have to squeeze to get inside and they shut it again right as I pass through. I'm surprised that nobody seems to ask for identification and completely ignore us, they are clearly way more interested in the threat of the slime than us being bandits or something like that. Yuu explains to me that the checking for identification papers on the outer walls are usually very lax since there are practically only the slums in this part of the city, they only start to check for identification when people try to enter the inner walls where the main core of the city really is. When I ask her if she has identification paper on her she shows me her dog tag with her adventurer rank on it secured in a necklace on her neck and says that her adventurer status grants her access to the 'good' part of the city, Laura also shows me hers while giving me an impish smile.

 

When I ask them where the Adventurers guild is located in the city they said it is right beside the south inner walls gate, they also told me that tomorrow we should go there so that I can take the practical test to try and also register as an adventurer like them, that way I can at least have some kind of identification on me if I am ever asked. When they started to guide me to their house I received a strange notification.

 

Defeated Eater of Worlds

Level Up 33 -> 188

LUK: 99 -> 544 (Oh No!)

 

I stopped in my tracks completely astonished by what I am reading right in front of me. Both girls look back at me with confused looks. Just at that moment, a memory from yesterday comes to my head, I remember firing my rifle pouring all of my mana, shooting through a rock and into the ground leaving a very deep hole, is this somehow related to that? Then a new notification makes me feel a cold sweat passing over my back.

 

The Abyss is looking at you.

 

Time seems to freeze and everything around me loses its color, becoming black and white. I try touching Laura and Yuu on their shoulders but they are rock hard, looking like very realistic grayscaled statues. I look around and everybody is also completely frozen also looking like statues. I feel a chill at the back of my spine as I slowly raise my head up looking at the pitch-black sky. There I see a massive fiery eye looking straight down at me and another notification pops up.

 

The Abyss has judged you.

 

The very fabric of space surrounding me starts to vibrate, making me very dizzy. Then I notice black goo starting to seeps through every crack on the city pavement and house walls, aglomerating in front of me forming a small pulsating mountain of black sludge. Just as it hit critical mass it comes pouring down at me like a tsunami. I start to run for my life seeing this black tsunami of death engulfing everything around me, be it buildings or people turned into statues.

 

While I was making my desperate sprint I quickly looked back at my impending doom and end up tripping and falling face-first on the pavement. The moment when I fell I see the 'Yummy Orange Juice' falling from my backpack and rolling in front of me. The black ooze of demise stops just as it was going to swallow me and extended a slimy tentacle from its main body to the juice in a glass, absorbing it.

 

Secret feature discovered!

Trying to tame Devourer from the Abyss

Calculating...

Expected success rate - 0.0001%

Luck status overcomes the probability rate

Recalculating...

New expected success rate - 100%

You have tamed Devourer from the Abyss

Waiting for pet input name...

 

What the actual fuck is going on... as I laid on my back after falling, all the creepy sludge around me suddenly disappears and on top of my stomach is a cute round slime that reminds me of a p*ring of a very famous MMORPG. Its body is deep black with small shining dots all over it, making me think of a starry night, the name Starly came to my mind and another notification pops up.

 

Starly, Devourer from the Abyss, tamed.

Loyalty 15/100

 

The innocent looking slime makes a smiling face to me and proceeds to rub its small figure tenderly against my face. Its tiny body is a little cold and squishy giving me a very refreshing feeling, making me hold it with a little force and close my eyes as I feel completely relaxed, already forgetting the scary situation that I was just in. When I open my eyes again I am back at where everything started, standing just behind the girls. Another ominous notification decides to appear.

 

The Abyss is now following you.

 

Both girls seem to notice that I am now holding a small slime in my hands.

 

"Mr. Creed, what is that?" Yuu asks curiously she is staring very hard at the little one, her own tail betraying her attempt to look calm and collected.

 

"Starly?" I respond not so sure myself.

 

"Oh my God, it's so cuuuute!" Laura screams and lunges at the poor slime, seizing it from my arms and squeezing it in her bosom.

 

The small slime gives me a pleading look but I just gave a small chuckle to him.

 

'Sorry buddy you are on your own'

 

We then start moving again back to the girl's house. Yuu keeps taking several not very discrete peeks at Starly who is now a prisoner of Laura smothering love. It is already very late, I just wanna go to sleep, today was another tiring day.

 

 

4