Chapter 16: Adventure With the Little Devils (2)
1.7k 1 44
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Anom and the group went outside and had some fruit for breakfast. All of the little devils were excited once they found out that they could converse with Anom now. They chattered without stopping.

Anom had already told them that he was no angel, making them sad. But this sadness soon turned into excitement when Anom told them that Della was his lover. They didn't even doubt him, and they became even happier.

Anom also found their reaction cute. Suddenly, he remembered something and asked, "Why do you guys eat only fruit? I mean, I heard some of you talking about eating meat in the future."

It was the leader's father, the former leader,  who replied. According to him, their ancestor, who was also the last powerful member of their family, ordered them to stop hunting for meat. The reason being that hunting required them to go out of these peaceful grounds and resulted in their group suffering casualties. With their low numbers, it was impossible to maintain this for long.

But their ancestors also gave them hope. He pointed at the leaf given by the goddess and told them to wait for the arrival of her angel.

Anom sighed as he listened to their story. He wasn't sure if his coming here was in accordance with their ancestor's premonition or just a coincidence.

Anom stood up and said, "What are you waiting for then? I also want to taste some meat. Let's go!"

The group cheered in their squeaky voices, and the fruit hunting team marched towards the forest.

After coming out of the crack, the direction they took was different from before. As they usually moved around to find new areas with fruits and flowers, they became familiar with the habitats of many other beasts.

They traveled for a while before arriving at a place filled with bushes filled with red berry-like fruits. The group was hidden behind one of the bushes and was observing the area.

Not far from them, a bush moved as a group of red creatures started moving around and feasting on the berries.

Their head was like a goat's, with sharp tusks jutting out. Their bodies stood around half as tall as Anom's. Two curved, small horns stuck out of each of their heads. Their heavy footsteps sounded like the marching of army horses when the group traveled together.

He didn't know the reason, but Anom felt that these creatures would make for a tasty meal. He was sure of it when he saw the little devils beside him salivating as they gazed at those, uh… big-toothed red goats.

Anom knew nothing about the strength of these creatures, so he decided to observe a little longer. Otherwise, it would be very pathetic if he died only on his second day here while hunting for food.

And the following situation proved that his decision was correct.

As the red goats were busy eating berries, a shadow moved quickly from behind a tree and jumped on the nearest red goat.

That red goat let out a panicked cry as it felt the assailant's teeth sinking into its back. It thrashed around but failed to overpower its opponent.

By now, the other red goats were alerted as they ran towards their friend.

Anom looked at the predator. It looked like a wolf and had gray fur. It sank its sharp teeth into the red goat's back while its claws held the goat in place. It was a size bigger than those goats, so it was pretty easy for it to hold one in place.

But the gray wolf's position of superiority vanished as soon as the other goats charged at it.

The ground vibrated as the fleshy tanks attacked the gray wolf. The red goat in the lead charged forward with her head lowered and smacked the wolf back, saving the other red goat.

The gray wolf had realized by now that his situation was becoming dangerous. But the wolf was not worried, as it was faster than the red goats. The wolf growled at them with a look that said that he would come again, and he turned around to leave.

But he still didn't understand the gravity of the situation. By the time he realized that something was wrong, it was already too late.

The red goats were weaker individually, but if a few of them gathered together, it was enough to repel the wolf. Not to mention, the numbers present currently could do much more than that.

And as was expected, the red goats surrounded the wolf completely. Although it could jump over and use its fast speed to dodge. It still couldn't escape the formation made by the goats.

It dodged the first few attacks, showing its skills as a predator. But alas, it soon suffered the first blow when multiple attacks reached it at the same time. Due to the force of the attack, the goats ended up bumping into each other, but their fat bodies allowed them a better defense than the wolf.

Soon the wolf started letting out pitiful wails. But it was reaping the consequences of its own actions.

Anom stared at the pile of meat that used to be a predator a few moments ago and gulped.

Man, how I miss the supermarket right now. Anom shook his head as he focused his mind on developing a plan.

"Yee~"

Anom turned in the direction of this strange sound and saw a small mound of flesh walking slowly in the direction of the dead wolf.

It stopped in front of the dead creature and raised its front legs to smack the already crushed skull of the poor wolf. Although its actions were fierce, its round body didn't allow this violent action. Its rear legs slipped, and it ended up putting its front leg in the wolf's mouth.

 Although the wolf was dead, its sharp teeth were still there. The fleshy mound raised its head and let out a cry of pain.

All the other red goats looked at this scene and became agitated.

Suddenly, the largest goat in the group came forward. It was probably the leader. It ran towards that little fleshy mound, or more precisely, its child.

Using its long and sharp tusk, it lifted the child carefully. After putting the child aside, its anger flared as it raised its front legs and completely crushed what remained of the poor creature.

How fierce! Anom looked at the fierce goat and its child as his lips formed a slight smile.

He turned towards the sniffers (he decided to call them that, as Soul Sniffing Devils was too long) and whispered something to them.

The little devils heard his words, and their small eyes shone brightly as they hurriedly nodded.

Anom and the Devils left the place and moved towards a more open area. They started by digging some pits and covering them with branches and leaves. They were setting up the most basic traps.

The little devils were excitedly digging the holes; some of them were collecting dried branches and leaves.

Anom had to admit that the little devils were great at working as a group, and it made his work far easier.

They finished the work quickly and left the place, going back towards the red goats. Two of the little devils separated from the group and left to complete the next step.

Two of them left the group quickly and came back just as fast.

But along with them, they brought a small fruit with a bright yellow color. It was shaped like a pear and tasted very sweet. Anom asked the little devils before, and they told him about this fruit, which was another favorite of the red goats.

But the problem was that this yellow pear grew on a very tall tree. The red goats couldn't climb to gather them, unlike the little devils. The goats could only eat the fallen fruits, or when they were really craving it, they could work together and shake the tree trunk to make some fruits fall. But it was also not a good solution, as the tree was too sturdy.

Anom looked at the fruit in his hand and smiled. It was time to start his plan.

44