Chapter 98: The Herb Gatherer
1.1k 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Shhh!"

Nia quickly hushed him, casting a cautious glance around their surroundings. "Please lower your voice, Selvo. It's essential to be discreet when discussing matters related to the royal family. We must exercise utmost caution."

Realizing his error, Selvo nodded and apologized softly, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to speak so loudly. Please forgive my lack of discretion."

Kristin smiled appreciatively at Selvo. "Thank you for your understanding. It's crucial to keep this information confidential. After all, we are preparing the gift for a member of the royal family, and secrecy is of paramount importance."

Selvo quickly nodded, his voice lowering in awe. "So, it's truly for a member of the royal family?" The concept of royalty was an entirely new realm for someone of his background. In the eyes of the royals, there was no distinction between him and a commoner.

Kristin confirmed with a nod, her voice carrying a hint of respect. "Absolutely. It's for our dear friend, a princess of the kingdom. We've journeyed all this way to prepare a gift for her upcoming birthday."

'A princess?' Selvo's inner thoughts echoed with astonishment, yet he managed to maintain his composure.

It felt like a story ripped from the pages of a fairy tale, but the mention of the royals and the princess held legendary status in the eyes of the kingdom's residents. After all, the royals were the supreme authority for a reason.

The gravity of the occasion began to settle in his mind, and he felt a mixture of nervousness and excitement to be involved in such an endeavor, even if only indirectly.

'Nedar has handed me a jackpot!' Ecstatic with the possibilities that lay before him, the young master's mind raced with anticipation.

"Tell me if you need anything from me." Selvo's eyes sparkled with enthusiasm. "Perhaps I can assist you in locating the bird or provide any other help you require."

Kristin exchanged a glance with Nia before nodding. "Actually, we do need some assistance. We've heard of a guide who is well-versed in the Zeru Forest, but his whereabouts are elusive, and we haven't been able to track him down." She sighed with a hint of helplessness. "Having his guidance would save us valuable time and effort, as blindly searching would be highly inefficient."

"I understand." Selvo nodded, his mind working to recall any leads about such a guide. However, he knew that the Zeru Forest was teeming with self-proclaimed guides, and one had to tread carefully to avoid falling into traps or encountering danger.

"I will begin my search immediately." Determination etched on his face, Selvo vowed to give his utmost effort to fulfill this initial task, despite the uncertainty that lay ahead.

He advised the girls to take some rest while he excused himself, stating his intention to find some information on the elusive guide they sought.

As Selvo stepped out of the inn, his previously confident expression melted away, replaced by a sense of desperation. He anxiously scanned his surroundings, searching for any sign of Nedar.

"Where did Nedar go?" he muttered under his breath, his voice laced with worry. "He said he would stay close to me."

Just as panic threatened to consume him, a sudden touch on his shoulder caused Selvo to startle and jump forward. He swiftly turned his head, ready to unleash a scream, but his fear subsided as he recognized Nedar standing behind him.

"Ahem, there you are." Selvo managed to compose himself, adopting an air of calmness. He was about to speak when Nedar swiftly gestured for silence, his eyes indicating that they should move away from prying ears. Without uttering a word, Nedar turned and headed toward the back of the inn, prompting Selvo to follow suit.

"So, Selvo, what did you think of my plan?" Anom took the lead, his voice brimming with anticipation.

"It was incredible!" Selvo exclaimed, his excitement evident. "But, of course, it worked so flawlessly because of the impressive skills I displayed!"

"That goes without saying." Anom chuckled, his hand resting on Selvo's shoulder. "I couldn't have chosen a more handsome and capable young man when two beauties were involved."

But Selvo's smug smile quickly faded, replaced by a frustrated expression. "However, we've encountered a new problem," he admitted, his tone tinged with concern.

"Are you referring to the guide you promised to find?" Anom asked knowingly.

Selvo looked astonished. "You overheard everything?"

"Of course!" Anom laughed. "Didn't I tell you I would be following your every move?"

Selvo nodded, a hint of apprehension creeping into his thoughts. Despite both of them being in the materialization state of internal energy, he hadn't anticipated such a significant disparity in their abilities. He couldn't even sense Anom's presence.

Clearly, Selvo overestimated Anom's level. Anom was currently in the Reinforcement State, the second of the three base states. Unless he acquired another valuable treasure like last time, he still had a bit of a way to go before advancing to the next state.

Selvo had regained his composure as he turned to face Nedar. "What should I do now?" he asked, a hint of frustration in his voice. "I have no idea where to even begin searching for this person with such vague clues." The unexpected obstacle disrupted their previously smooth plan, leaving Selvo feeling both frustrated and uncertain.

Anom suddenly started laughing, leaving Selvo baffled.

Selvo was on the verge of interrupting him. However, Anom halted on his own and spoke, leaving Selvo intrigued. "Oh, Selvo, we really are meant to succeed in our plan after all," he said with a sigh. "Such a perfect coincidence!"

Confused, Selvo asked, "What do you mean?"

Anom smirked behind his mask, ready to reveal his discovery. "Do you remember when you told me to find that Jedzar grass?"

"Yes, I remember." Selvo nodded. "But how does that connect to what you're saying?"

"Well, you see, I had already started working on it, although the chances of finding any were slim," Anom explained. He paused and let out a light laugh. "But as fate would have it, interesting information found its way to me."

Selvo looked expectant but still sought clarification. "You mean...?"

Anom nodded, confirming his suspicions. "That's right. During my investigation, I learned about a skilled herb gatherer who is quite famous for his expertise. The only challenge was that he's a wanderer, making it difficult to pinpoint his exact location. However, luck seems to be on our side because I have received news about his whereabouts."

Seeing Selvo's gleeful expression, Anom continued, "I also believe that he is the same person those two women were referring to."

Excited, Selvo couldn't contain himself any longer. "Then why are we waiting? Let me bring those two to him!"

"Hold on, Selvo," Anom cautioned, waving his hand. "You seem to be misinterpreting the situation. Be careful not to let your eagerness lead us astray."

Confused, Selvo frowned, feeling as if Anom was lecturing him unnecessarily. "What are you trying to say?"

Anom sighed, choosing to pose a question instead of providing a direct answer. "What do you think is the most important thing for us to do right now?"

Selvo furrowed his brow, thinking for a moment before responding, "Isn't it crucial for us to gain the favor of those two girls?"

"That was the plan we devised, adapting to the circumstances. But have you forgotten the actual task you were assigned?" Anom's voice held a tinge of frustration as he observed Selvo's blank expression.

"I'm referring to the Sorneo House," Anom continued, maintaining his composure. "Wasn't your primary objective to secure resources for them and maximize the benefits of our deal?"

Realization dawned on Selvo's face, and he nodded earnestly. "You're right. I was aware of that, but I got so caught up in our current plan that it slipped my mind."

Anom waved off Selvo's concern with a casual gesture. "No need to worry. It's good that you remember now. So, do you also recall what needs to be done?"

"Um..." Selvo hesitated, momentarily at a loss for words, as he tried to gather his thoughts.

Anom sighed inwardly, frustration simmering within him. He would have really slapped the guy if Selvo's occasional bouts of stupidity hadn't played into his hands. 

2