Chapter 99: The Smug Young Master; A Calculated Journey Begins
1.1k 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Although this new venture is highly enticing, we must not lose sight of our original objective," Anom began, his tone serious. "As you may have gathered, my initial plan was to employ this individual as your subordinate, serving as your gateway to the capital. After all, you can't simply waltz in without a valid reason, can you?"

Selvo nodded, comprehension dawning on him. However, a frown creased his brow. "But now that those two are likely to hire him, what should we do? Should we conceal our intentions and secure his services first?" He hesitated, torn between the desire to make a favorable impression on the two girls from the capital and his understanding of the crucial role this person played in their family's dependent agreement.

"There's no need to fret," Anom reassured Selvo. "We can utilize him for both purposes. Initially, he can assist the girls, and once that task is complete, you can proceed to hire him for your own job."

Selvo's doubts lingered as he voiced his concern. "But what if those two decide to take him with them to the capital? And even if I extend an offer to the gatherer, how can I compete with the resources of two great families?" His lack of confidence in outbidding Nia and Kristin was evident.

So his brain is working fine now, eh?

Amusement flickered in Anom's eyes, but he had a plan in place. "Put those worries aside for now," he advised. "Let's focus on completing our current mission, and afterward, I will share a strategy to ensure the gatherer remains under your command."

He then shared the location of the gatherer he had "found" by chance with Selvo.

"Okay." Selvo nodded, his trust in Nedar's plans growing. "I guess I should inform those girls about the gatherer then." He turned to leave, thinking the conversation was over.

Anom, however, quickly pulled him back by the shoulder, stopping him in his tracks. Selvo looked at him with confusion and curiosity, awaiting an explanation.

"We shouldn't rush things," Anom advised. "If we inform them too quickly, it might raise suspicions. We can't reveal the true reason behind this convenient coincidence, after all."

Selvo pondered for a moment, contemplating Anom's words. "So, what should I do then?" he asked.

Anom suggested, "Take some time for yourself. Go to a hotel or enjoy some leisure time until noon. Then, when you return, you can inform them and take them to meet the gatherer. This way, your absence won't raise any concerns, and even if your father learns about it, he'll remain unsuspecting if he sees you going about your regular routine."

Selvo agreed, relieved to have a plan that would prevent his father from discovering his actions and confining him at home. Nedar's advice seemed like a sound approach to him.

"Oh, and one more thing," Anom added. "Don't come to my base anymore. I suspect your father may have planted a spy to keep an eye on our activities." He noticed Selvo's weird expression and chuckled. "Don't worry; it's only natural for him to be cautious given the seriousness of the situation."

"How should I contact you, then?" Selvo inquired.

"Just come to the alley behind my base, and if I haven't reached out to you within an hour, it means I'm not there," Anom answered.

"Alright," Selvo said, nodding in understanding.

Anom dismissed Selvo, allowing him to leave, while he himself pretended to head toward his base. However, once Selvo was out of sight, Anom swiftly returned to the alley behind the inn and climbed up to the room where the girls were staying.

"Great job, both of you!" Anom praised them as he landed inside through the open window. "I hope you're ready to continue for a little while longer, as we'll need your skills for the next phase too."

"No problem!" Nia responded energetically, waving her fists. "I'm actually having a lot of fun!"

Kristin shook her head in amusement. "Does defeating a bunch of weak guys make you this happy?" she asked Nia before turning her attention back to Anom. "By the way, wasn't there supposed to be another part of your plan? Why are you only telling us to prepare for the next phase?" She recalled Anom mentioning multiple phases in his plan, though he hadn't provided detailed explanations about the last one.

"Well, that phase mainly concerns me, so you don't need to worry about it," Anom clarified with a casual shrug. "And speaking of which, aren't you two supposed to leave for the capital soon?"

"Well..." The girls exchanged glances, their expressions turning thoughtful as they realized that they would likely depart before Anom could carry out the final phase of his plan.

"Don't worry about the mission, though," Anom reassured with a smile. "Just let me know how I can contact both of you once you've arrived at the capital, and I'll ensure you stay updated on my findings."

Nia's expression turned concerned as she frowned. "That could be tricky. If you're planning to enter the Sorneo House directly, it will be challenging for you to contact us without being monitored. Even low-level members of the great families don't have unmonitored access to the capital's communication network."

At least there's a network to work with. Anom thought, but then he turned contemplative because he currently had no idea how to overcome the speculated problem.

"You'll have to trust me on this, then," Anom assured, his voice resolute. "I alone won't be able to create too much of a hindrance for them anyway, so getting in touch with either one of you will be my foremost priority after reaching the capital."

"We can trust you, Anom." Kristin smiled. "You have already proven that working together with you is more productive than doing this on our own." She then looked at her purple-haired friend. "Right, Nia?"

Nia turned her face to the side, crossed her arms in front of her chest, and said, "Yeah, it's not bad."

"Thanks for the compliment, I guess." Anom smiled.

Looking at the two, he stated, "I should probably leave now. You two should rest here and wait for Selvo's arrival. Meanwhile, I'll go and fetch Crystal for the next part of our plan. Is that alright?"

"You can go; we'll be fine on our own." Kristin nodded, leaning against the chair to take a rest.

Nia, who was sitting beside her, had her legs placed on the table as she lazily waved her hand to send him off.

Anom left the inn and made his way back to the Safaira mansion, where Crystal was already waiting for his arrival.

...

'I'm so smart!'

Selvo walked confidently towards the inn, wearing a smug smile beneath his hood.

It had already been an hour since his conversation with Nedar, during which he visited one of his usual hangouts to make a public appearance and avoid arousing suspicion from his father. To make it appear more authentic, he even called upon some of his most loyal followers. After ensuring the room was locked from the inside, he made his stealthy escape from the back.

Now, he no longer had to worry about being absent for the entire day and could join the girls in their adventure, creating more opportunities for interaction with them.

Entering the inn, he quickly headed to the girls' room before knocking on the door.

"Oh, you're back already, Selvo!" Kristin exclaimed with a joyful smile, causing Selvo to almost swoon.

"Ah, I hope I'm not interrupting anything." After entering the room, Selvo noticed the empty plates on the table.

"It's fine; we've already had lunch." Kristin then turned to Selvo and asked, "You seem quite pleased, Selvo. Don't tell me you've actually found the person already." She spoke in a teasing tone, implying she didn't expect him to accomplish it so quickly.

Selvo smiled at that, feeling inwardly smug as he replied, "Indeed, Miss Kristin, I have indeed found the person you were looking for."

"Really?" Both girls acted surprised, which made Selvo feel even better.

"That's quite impressive if it's true, you know?" Nia remarked. "I may have underestimated the extent of your family's connections in this city."

"It's true, Miss Nia," Selvo assured them.

"Oh, is Selvo's family something extraordinary?" Kristin asked with curiosity.

"I forgot to mention," Nia began, "but this young man hails from one of the most prominent merchant families in the city. Judging by how quickly he gathered the information, we can safely assume he'll be the next head."

"Ah, you're giving me too much credit." Selvo humbly denied their praises while secretly relishing in the compliments.

"What are we waiting for, then?" Kristin said. "Let's get going already before the guy disappears to who knows where again."

"Absolutely, let's go!" Nia exclaimed with energy.

Meanwhile, Selvo smirked from the side, observing the two of them getting excited.

'Hehe, they're playing right into my hands,' he thought, his excitement growing as he confidently guided the two girls out of the inn and towards the depths of the Zeru Forest. 

3