Chapter 100: The Chance Encounter in the Zeru Forest
132 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"How much farther do we have to go?" Nia inquired, her impatience evident in her expression.

Kristin furrowed her brow and turned to Selvo. "Are you certain that the gatherer is in this area?"

"Uh, yeah. I'm pretty confident that this was his last known location, as my subordinates reported. Let's continue searching, and I'm sure we'll find him," Selvo replied, attempting to maintain a reassuring smile despite his growing nervousness.

They had been exploring the outskirts of the Zeru Forest for over two hours. While they didn't venture deep into its depths, locating someone based on a general area proved to be a challenging task.

They had been scouring the vicinity for a while, yet the gatherer remained elusive.

Nia and Kristin understood the reason behind Anom's intentional deviation from the precise location he had provided to Selvo. Small discrepancies helped conceal flaws better than a suspiciously flawless plan.

Even someone like Selvo might become suspicious if everything went too smoothly. Anom preferred to err on the side of caution, especially when their position was considerably weaker.

As impatience grew within Selvo, a sudden burst of voices caught their attention, prompting alertness.

Nia took a step forward and signaled for the others to follow her quietly.

Navigating through the dense woods, the voices gradually became discernible as belonging to a man and a woman engaged in an argument.

Selvo's eyes widened in surprise as he caught sight of the familiar figure standing amidst the commotion.

His gaze was fixed on the woman dressed in an elegant ocean blue gown, her black hair flowing down her back. Worry and urgency were evident in her sapphire-blue eyes.

"Huh? What is she doing here?" Selvo wondered, his mind racing to process the unexpected encounter.

'But that's good too; I won't get another chance like this to find her outside her house.' A vulgar expression overcame his face as he looked at his would-be wife.

"Is that the guy we were looking for?"

Selvo's vulgar expression transformed into a disappointed frown as Nia's interruption shattered his inappropriate thoughts.

Bringing his attention back to the situation at hand, Selvo observed the man Crystal appeared to be engaged in an argument with.

The man had a slightly above-average build, tanned skin, and an unremarkable face. His dark brown hair matched the color of his eyes, and he wore worn-out, loose-fitting garments. A large bag was strapped to his back, a practical choice for someone venturing into the forest, especially for those lacking the means and status to afford storage bags.

"Hm?" The man's gaze shifted towards Nia, Kristin, and Selvo as they revealed themselves, his wariness evident. It was only natural for him to be cautious, considering the circumstances of their encounter in a dangerous forest.

Crystal, who had been engaged in an argument with the man, also turned her attention to the newcomers. Her expression froze momentarily, detecting a familiar presence among them. Her face betrayed worry and nervousness, clearly indicating that this unexpected meeting was far from pleasant for her. However, she remained silent, recognizing that they hadn't come specifically for her.

Kristin seized the opportunity to break the silence and address the man directly. "Are you perhaps the gatherer who claims to possess the ability to find any herb in the forest?" Her gaze held an expectant air as she awaited his response.

The man's initial wariness eased, giving way to a slightly pleased expression. However, his demeanor quickly shifted to a humble smile as he responded, his voice carrying a hint of confidence. "Indeed, there are many who boast of such abilities, miss. But I am the one who dares to prove it to you." He allowed himself a small smirk. "Although I can only guarantee finding the common herbs, searching for the rarer, ranked ones could come at a great risk to my life."

Nia raised an eyebrow, intrigued by his claim. "So, you're saying you have extensive knowledge of the forest and can locate the rank-less herbs with certainty?"

The man nodded, his expression turning passionate. "Yes, I have spent years studying the flora in these woods. I know the best times and places to search for various herbs. However, I must emphasize again that the more valuable and potent herbs, the ranked ones, are significantly harder to find and come with their own dangers."

Kristin and Nia shared a meaningful glance before Kristin broke the silence, her voice filled with curiosity. "I wonder if you could also assist us in locating certain creatures."

"Oh?" The man seemed interested. "It seems like you ladies have come with quite a task for me. To answer your question, I can indeed find the forest dwellers under the same conditions as my herb-finding abilities." He then shifted his gaze towards Selvo, a mischievous smile forming on his lips. "And is this gentleman accompanying you as well? He appears rather intrigued by this young lady here," he said, pointing at Crystal.

"Huh?" Selvo suddenly found himself at the center of attention, feeling a hint of awkwardness. Clearing his throat, he hastened to explain, "Ah, you may not be aware, but this miss here belongs to the esteemed Safaira family, a renowned merchant house in the city." He paused, offering a friendly smile to Crystal. "We're somewhat acquainted, so it was surprising to see her here all alone." He tried to maintain a calm demeanor, inwardly concerned about the potential disclosure of the agreement between their families.

Though he hadn't expressed it yet, Selvo secretly held a faint hope of impressing one of the girls from the capital. Well, only Kristin was acceptable, as Nia's strong personality didn't quite align with his preferences.

"I see." Nia and Kristin glanced at Crystal, displaying genuine interest. However, their focus soon shifted back to the man as Kristin voiced her concerns. "You appear to be occupied with something already. Are you sure you have the time to help us?"

"Please, Mr. Blatt, you must help me," Crystal implored, tears streaming down her face as she wore a pleading expression. "I can provide you with all the resources I promised! You may ask for anything else you desire, but please, I beg you, help me find that herb!"

Blatt's face displayed a mix of emotions, and he let out a sigh. "Miss Crystal, I understand your determination, but believe me when I say that venturing into that area will only lead to danger and potential demise."

"I don't care!" Crystal's expression hardened. "You don't need to accompany me; just tell me the location, and I'll go on my own!"

Her resolute words moved the other two girls present at the scene. Just as they were about to inquire about the matter that attracted their interest, their male companion seemed to have already lost his patience.

"Enough, Crystal," Selvo interjected. "This is not how a young lady from a prominent family should conduct herself, you know?" He smirked, glancing at Blatt. "Besides, it seems this gentleman is reluctant to fulfill your request. Why bother him any further?" Although curious about the reason behind Crystal's presence, Selvo prioritized his own objectives. Moreover, while Crystal was equally as beautiful as the two girls from the capital, he carefully assessed the potential gains he could extract from each of them.

"Wait, Selvo." But Kristin seemed to have something else on her mind. She halted Selvo's attempts to dissuade Crystal and turned her attention to the troubled girl, offering a warm smile. "Miss Crystal, why don't you confide in us? Perhaps we can come up with a solution to your predicament."

Crystal gazed at the two girls, finding solace in their comforting expressions that seemed to offer a glimmer of hope. With a deep breath, she mustered the courage to open up and share her story, her eyes reflecting her underlying optimism. 

1