Chapter 14: A Rich Girl?
322 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“An additional nine thousand cases have been reported over the week since New Year’s Day. Several of them are from clusters that breached lockdown notices and hosted large parties against the government’s suggestions.”

 

The news anchor spoke eloquently and professionally while facing the teleprompter. Though, after listening to her for a few months, I could tell from her tone that she was slightly peeved.

 

“In order to flatten the curve so that our hospitals won’t be overrun, the government once again urges people to stay indoors wherever possible. Wear a mask when you go out and try not to gather in groups exceeding five people.”

 

I wonder how many people had breached that order? For instance, during the New Year countdown last week, I could hear many of my neighbours hosting a plethora of people. And from what I gathered, there were definitely more than five voices in their apartment.

 

“I understand that everyone is uncomfortable with the government’s harsh restrictions, but it’s a necessity we need to combat the mysterious virus. Scientists all over the globe are working hard to develop a cure and possibly a vaccine. Still, ultimately, the best way to slow the spread of the virus is to stay at home.”

 

The news lady reiterated herself with an iron will.

 

Well, it has been over a month since the lockdown measures were placed. At the time, everyone was on board with the idea since it slowed the spread of the virus and potentially saved thousands of lives.

 

However, as time progressed, people were getting restless in their own homes. I was an indoor cat, so I could handle the prolonged periods of staring at the four walls. But many didn’t feel the same way.

 

Many would host parties and invite dozens of people over, making their homes a hotspot for clusters to form. Some would even outright defy the government’s mandate of wearing masks outside.

 

While I could understand their frustrations, I couldn’t relate to their problems.

 

I quite enjoyed the fact that I could stay home all day without being bothered by swarms of humans. While it did get lonely at times, I could have a video call with Len where we could talk about our day’s happenings. Or perhaps I could go online and play video games just to meet new friends virtually.

 

And, of course, I also had another method of human contact.

 

“Althea? I brought over your lunch.” After ringing my neighbour’s doorbell, I stood back and waited for the girl to welcome me.

 

“Hi, Desir!”

 

A brightly dressed young woman emerged from the adjacent apartment. Although it was the beginning of winter, Althea was wearing pink cotton shorts and a blazing long-sleeved red blouse. It was odd to see her so lightly dressed, but it was common for a young girl living alone. In addition, after interacting with Althea for a week, I had gotten used to her lack of clothing.

 

“Do you have the Tupperware I handed you last night?”

 

“Right here,” Althea replied while reaching for the side of the door. “I’ve cleaned it nicely.”

 

“Thanks! Here’s your lunch.”

 

We exchanged the containers seamlessly. While checking if the Tupperware was spot-free, I continued to ask: “So how was the Ox Bone Soup?”

 

“Delicious as always,” Althea replied with a laugh. “Honestly, if you didn’t tell me that you were a programmer, I would have thought that you were a chef!”

 

“Haha, thanks for the compliment.”

 

“No, I’m serious! Have you ever thought of opening up a restaurant?”

 

“Me? Don’t be silly. I only cook to feed myself. If not for the high costs of good food around here, I wouldn’t have learnt how to cook.”

 

After a week and a half of interactions, Althea had begun to be less wary of my presence. For starters, she wouldn’t look away when I initiated eye contact, and she was capable of holding a conversation with me. It seems like I had made the switch from a suspicious stranger that lived next door to a regular joe that wouldn’t do her any harm.

 

I chuckled at the thought as I kept the Tupperware into the bag that I’d prepared. Normally, this would be my cue to leave. However, I did have something to ask the girl.

 

“So, how are you feeling now? Any signs of fever, sore throat, that kind of thing?”

 

“No, not really.”

 

“Not really? Is something wrong?”

 

“Ah, no! That’s not what I meant! Rather than wrong...”

 

“Rather than wrong?”

 

“Hmmm… How should I describe it? I feel like I have much more energy than before? I would wake up refreshed, and I feel the need to nap anymore. Ever since I’d started living alone, I’d never experienced this.”

 

Ah, I understand what was going on…

 

“It’s your body reacting well to the change in food. You’ve been eating junk for so long, so when it’s given real food, your body is adjusting to the change positively. It’s a good thing. That means the recovery diet I’d planned for you is working.”

 

“Really?” Althea’s emerald eyes twinkled in thought as she furrowed her brows. “But it has only been a week and a half since I was discharged….”

 

“It goes to show how much nutrients your body was lacking,” I laughed as I corrected her misunderstanding.

 

“Food is the essence of all life. Whatever you put into your body is what you will feel. If you put junk in your body, it’s natural for your body to feel lethargic all the time. Now that you've switched to a healthier diet, you will start to see positive changes.”

 

“Oh, so that’s it...”

 

Althea took all of that information in while tapping her feet. Honestly, it was a mystery how she could last this long with her previous eating habits.

 

“Anyway, since I’d confirmed that you’re feeling better, can I ask you a question?”

 

“What is it?”

 

“Do you like lasagne?”

 

“Hmmm? I’m alright with it, but… why are you asking that?”

 

“Well, ever since you’d returned from the hospital, I’d been cooking healthier meals that wouldn’t overwhelm your digestive system. However, I’m getting bored of cooking soup-based meals every day now. So, I was wondering if you could go for lasagne tonight.”

 

I asked cautiously. If Althea was still feeling under the weather, I wouldn’t have suggested the change. But honestly, after over a week of soupy and healthy foods, I craved something greasy and cheesy.

 

“...”

 

“Althea?”

 

Seeing that the young girl had fallen silent, I reached out and tapped the door. Her expression was blank, and I couldn’t read her thoughts. Fortunately, I didn’t need to as Althea met my eyes and asked: “Hey… I feel bad...”

 

“Feel bad? For what?”

 

“For making you do all of this. The ingredients can’t be cheap. Not to mention, you’re cooking and delivering food to my doorstep… I don’t want to leech off your goodwill.”

 

“Haha, it’s fine! It’s just one portion. Besides, I always make extra just in case I need leftovers.”

 

“Still! I think that our arrangement needs to have some changes!” Althea declared with an earnest holler.

 

“How about this? Let me pay for the ingredients instead! I’ll even help you carry the groceries back if you need the extra pair of hands.”

 

“Pay for the ingredients? You?” I shot the girl a sneering look. “The food that I make will sometimes cost a lot, you know? As a university student, you should be budgeting instead of paying for your meals. Furthermore, don’t you need to pay tuition fees?”

 

“That’s fine! All of my expenses have been paid for! Also, my parents have given me a substantial meal allowance, so I should be able to cover both our costs!”

 

“That’s ridiculous, do you know...”

 

Wait a minute… Althea has been living alone in her apartment, which costs around the same as mine. Furthermore, she’s studying at Kofuku University, and from the looks of it, she wasn’t working a part-time job like I did either…

 

Now that I think about it… was she a rich girl?

 

“Are you like… a secret heir to a conglomerate or something? Or a princess to a mafia group?”

 

“Huh? What are you talking about?”

 

“A-Ah, nothing...”

 

I let my imagination run wild there…

 

After wiping the sweat off my forehead, I gave Althea a counteroffer: “How about this? You pay your share of the ingredients then. Also, if I ever need help with the groceries, I’ll let you tag along. Sounds good?”

 

“... It seems like I’m still taking advantage of you, though.”

 

Argh, this is why women are so troublesome to deal with.

 

“Okay, then you’ll help me do the dishes too! Fair?”

 

“Not really… but it’ll be rude for me to reject that offer.”

 

“Haha, alright! Deal?”

 

“Deal!”

 

I extended a ceremonial handshake to Althea, and she accepted my hand with a warm smile.

 

“Good! So lasagne tonight?”

 

“Sounds delicious! I can’t wait!”

14