Chapter 4 – Mikael Conner
90 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Somewhat excited at the prospect of company during lunch, Titania felt like class was passing at a snail's pace, the clock crawling forward. She spent her time ignoring the lessons and pretending to be disinterested in Mikki who was sitting next to her while her computer did a quick background check. He was a curious one, asking questions and behaving very much like someone eager to learn despite the stuff only being the basics, the Teacher adored him. 

When the bell finally rang and announced the end of their lessons she was almost about to storm outside when she remembered something, Titania stretched and grinned, now hopefully and whatever the Teacher wanted to say would be over soon.  

Finally. 

“Teach wants to speak to me and Amita a bit, is it fine for you to wait outside?” she asked Mikki, who nodded and lifted both Thumbs, “Okay.” 

Titania nodded and remained seated where she was, along with Amita, and waited for everyone to leave class. Amita seemed to have swallowed a stick for breakfast from how rigid she was sitting in her chair. 

Waiting for it to be over she flinched when the Teacher pounded on the Table with surprising force. She was now a lot more attentive and fixated on their Teacher who glared at both of them, if a gaze could kill she and Amita would have been dead girls. 

"You two need to get your families’ animosity for each other out of your heads here in my classroom." She almost hissed and both of them. For once in agreement, the two sent their teacher an, are you serious, look that spoke volumes about what they thought about that. But neither of the two spoke up, both knowing it was one of those moments where silence was golden and arguing silver. "This is an educational facility, I have the allowance from both of your parents to growl, shout, and correct you whenever I want, without having to fear repercussions. Others however, do not. I sincerely do not want to feel the sparks of an internal battle in my classroom that intimidate half of the people present!" 

Then, she moved her gaze to Amita, "That aside, Miss Lumiere, please refrain from insulting half of this classroom's population with words like those from your recap. I expected better from someone with your pedigree; he people here are the Elite of the young magical society, and not all of them are of suitable ‘high born’ origin." 

The teacher moved her poignant gaze towards Titania, "Miss Tarajan, considering your grades I might not take offense to you drifting off into dreamland during my lesson, but please consider your position more; as a Top student you do fill a position that makes you an example for others. It makes a bad one if you do not even attempt to pretend to pay attention, but spend time staring into nothingness out of the window." Titania shrugged her shoulders. She didn’t really care to become a model for others, the reason she had grades that good was because her mother paid attention to grades, and she would rather endure three weeks of house-arrest in Chrys’ rooms before admitting defeat to Amita. 

"Anyway, the disharmony between the two of you splits up class and can kill all of us on the hunt in two days. Sort it out by tomorrow; I no longer care how you do it,just do it. Have I made myself clear?" She glared at them taking a breath, “Or I will move one of you out of the class and into Class B”

Accepting the words from their Teacher Titania left, ignoring Amita who was beginning to argue. If she was to be placed into class B it would be the same as here, only that the person she disliked would change to that Zahng brat. For all that it mattered, they disliked Zhang Liu more than Amita. With Amita, who had the subtlety of a sledgehammer and carried her animosity out open, it was easy to not to get along and to avoid her; it helped that the other side did the best to avoid her too. Liu was a different case. He was all smiles and pleasant words until he got you and what he wanted, mostly DNA from high leveled magic users. By default she was very high on his list of people he wanted to seduce.
Good looking as he was, he normally got what he wanted. This made him arrogant and conceited, but sadly it had not made him stupid; he would have been so much damn easier to handle if he were. 

She stepped outside and saw Mikki standing there waiting. When he saw her, he began waving at her. 

At least some positive things are happening, hopefully that background check that is still running on my computer and at home from the cleaning department won’t be anything but a clean slate . He is kinda cute after all, in his own way.. 

"Let's go then." she said smiling and her mood improving almost immediately, and Mikki nodded.
"Are you alright if we go to my favorite...." She stopped herself and looked back. "...place." she completed her sentence and stared at Amita who stood behind Mikki. She put on a more polite and nondescript smile, "Do you need anything?" She asked and suddenly was facing the barrel of a gun and a pair of narrowed eyes. 
"What do you want?" she asked, and stepped closer to Amita while shoving Mikki out of the way. Suddenly, a gun was pointed at Amita’s head as well, and a second one joined the first at hers.
Lyle her bodyguard had put his at Amita’s head and thus Amita’s bodyguard responded in kind. 

Well who is especially hot headed today

"You are an eyesore." Amita hissed and then smiled rather creepily, "One I want to kill whenever I see it, you better be aware who you are hanging out with, newbie. I'd say, we don't want your body sullied by a low born daughter of a whore and sister to a slut; your abilities are worth more than that. Besides, this one is going to move to B Class.." 

Titania stepped closer ignoring the many weapons pointed at her, something inside her turning icy cold as she kept her personality and the fear of having two guns pointed at her contained inside her suppressing it, locking it deep within. 

"You ought to be careful whom you insult, Lumiere. It might be better if you move to B Class, no? After all I am an entire Order higher than youl; it would make sense, would it not?”

"Now girls, two pretty things like you shouldn't be so vicious." a jovial voice said next to them. A boy slightly older than them carrying a traditional Chinese look and clothing smiled, his pair of phoenix eyes were completely blank, despite his warm behavior.
"This is the Academy." He said, and Amita huffed before withdrawing her gun. Slowly, Lyle and Amita’s bodyguards withdrew their guns as well, and as it was the way of covert non-suspicious bodyguards, vanished in the span of seconds.
"You know Amita, as much as Titania angers you she did nothing, at least not this time. Control your temper, and ... you Titania. You switching class would definitely be better; you are a mental non combat class despite your rank and Class A has a slight abundance of them lately. Have one of the combatants from B Class move up and everything will be fine, no?" He smiled and was extremely friendly in his words and Titania almost had to laugh, crossing her arms in front of herself. She really disliked Zhang Liu. He had a way with words.

"And do what? Hang out with you so you can convince me with third rate non combat fifth Order charm magic to sleep with you? Then claim the child you plan to impregnate me with once I turn fifteen or sixteen, something I will certainly agree to since I will be totally smitten with you; all so you can get your hands on my bloodline." She retorted.
Bringing up his father’s and literally any man's practice in the Zhang. Even if Zahng Liu was up until now different, she highly doubted his very flirty way and the reports she read about him, as if the fact of his three girlfriends existing wasn't enough, would be much different. The only thing he got from her was balant refusal to spend time with him and the benefit of the doubt since he hadn't gotten anyone pregnant. 

Yet.

The Zhang collected bloodlines and rare magic skills, especially those like hers, similar to trophies. All in the hopes that their children would inherit them. Out of hundreds of children, from various mothers, only a few had talent and were acknowledged to compete for the successor position in a rather bloody conflict. 

The Zhang were kinslayers and she disliked the rulers of the east more than the Lumiere for that practice. 

Turning around she left them behind, there was no need to exchange any more with Zhang Liu. Between the two of them everything was said and done, and the same was true about Amita; though she had no idea why the usually hot headed but intelligent Lumiere had lost her temper in that manner today. 

I don’t think it is only the fact of possibly being moved to Class B. 

Usually none of them started something like this with guns pointing at each other. 

I should look that up, Zhang Liu getting involved isn’t entirely normal either, Class B is on the other side of the Campus…why was he even there…no way he was this fast… 

"Wait!" she heard a voice call out behind her and turned to see Mikki who was rushing after her. "Favorite…?"

“Place.” She was startled a bit, and then had to giggle at his wondering gaze, "Rooftop." she answered and pointed up. 

Now really, he is not scared by what happened earlier? He must have quite the nerves. 

"Then us, go there." He said and Titania nodded happily about his reaction. Seriously, she hoped the background check would result in nothing and he was a genuine nice guy who didn't care where she came from.

It would be a nice change for once.  

Leading him upwards, they arrived at the roof and she opened the door. No one ever came up here, and most didn’t even know that the door towards it was almost always open. Closing it behind her she walked closer to the edge that was secured with a tall fence and looked over the city underneath. 

Looking back she inspected Mikki who had walked up next to her and looked down into the sea of skyscrapers that seemed to reach endlessly far. She turned and saw some of them overgrown with greenery and looking shabbier than the monsters of glass and iron. The slum towers were the closest to the forests that slowly started there. On the other side of the roof was almost only the greenery that belonged to the high born houses of that Zone.
She looked at MIkki next to her, his blond hair moving with the wind, his eyes shining light gray and a faint smile on his lips, “So far.” he muttered and she smiled, agreeing with him noticing the way he moved. He was trained, she saw it from his way of movement and how he held himself, along with being a tad bigger than other boys his age.

“Combat Telephath?” she asked and he looked at her surprised before nodding, “Combat Telepath.” He answered, “how you know?” 

“I know from how you move, I recognize it from my brothers. Trained people move differently, have a spring in their steps or as in your case, your wrists; they are thin but your hand movements are like those of dancers, I doubt you are one, and martial artists do that too, so martial artist.” 

"You right, I did not recognize that it. But you are right, I don’t want speak about fight, for chance, tell me, why no one ever call name of City, just city?" Mikki asked her and Titania shrug her shoulders accepting his abrupt change of topic, "Officially the city is called Leedigo, but for some reason no one uses the name." she answered. "Apperantly because it brings bad luck or something like that, totally stupid if you think about it." 

"Ah, strange, but interesting." Mikki said and offered her a cookie, "Want some?" he asked and she shook her head. 

"No thanks, but don’t try to distract me, what martial arts?" She never took food from other people, nothing that hadn't been prepared in their home. Not even when eating out in a restaurant; so great was the danger of being poisoned. Personally, she thought it a bit too paranoid, but since it calmed the others she saw no problem in doing things this way, and followed that rule. She took out her lunch and bit into the piece of bread while waiting for an answer. “Katana.” He said. “Also, Swordless.” 

“That’s hardcore, a martial arts to kill, not to take prisoners.”

“You?” 

“Secret.” she answered not wanting to admit she had proven herself so incapable of martial arts that she was still doing the basics. How to hit without hurting yourself, how to run away, and according to her brother, not be a stupid prey but rather a clever one.

The two of them both were silent, enjoying the view and the peace. Somewhere in the distance, Magic flashed to the sky; it was probably hunters doing their work. 

She wandered off in thought as they silently ate next to each other. It seemed Mikki was not the biggest of speakers. 

Titania really was not a fighter, she was happy enough to know where the dangerous end of a gun was and being capable of firing it while not completely missing her target, if it stood still. Honestly, she never did want to make use of a weapon either; she was happy just writing up contracts for the family business and enforcing them with her magic, or sitting in attendance when a deal was finalized by her mother.
She truly enjoyed writing up those contracts and figuring out how to avoid any loopholes; usually, the short and simple ones always worked best. 

Her ability is valued enough for her to never have to worry about work. Everyone wanted unbreakable contracts or promises when it came to some issues, she had even used her magic in a court trial; the witness having agreed to make their statement under the bindings of her magic. 

If there was any way for her to fight, it would be if someone was willing to become quite literally her puppet and let her control their movements with her magic by promising her their soul. That was only a mere theory of hers though, since it had never been tried out. Well there had also never been an oath mage from above level seven; if she ever entered the eighth order she would start walkin on unchartered waters.

Mikki next to her seemed as if he wanted to say something. 

"What is it?" she asked him, and he opened his mouth, closed it, and then opened it again, "Why they hate you so much?" he asked her and she smiled a bit helplessly at him. 

"I am Tarajan, that is enough of a reason to hate me, or to be after my DNA in Zhang Lius’ … in their eyes." She explained and she leaned his head to the side as if he did not understand what she was saying, "People don't like my family, or rather they don’t like what my family represents.." She said it was easier. 

"But why they hate you, you person of ... your...own? What do family represent?"

The last word sounded more like a question and she had to laugh a bit. 

"Yeah I am very much my own, but all they see is my Name. I am not bothered by it, they can say whatever they want; if I got angry, hit,would listening, or react to anything they say I would only make it worse so I do nothing; most have given up by now there is no fun in ridiculing someone who doesn't care about what they think." She explained and was doubting a bit if she got everything. 

Mikki seemed to be wandering off a bit before he nodded. Titania continued, “As for my family, my mother is not of high birth but she managed to raise the Tarajan to the top of the city with her magic. Not only that, we kids somehow also turned out to become strong mages; I stand at the very top of the dislike ranking because I happen to have real a chance to become eighth Order before the age of twenty, and that bothers most of the nobles.”

"Believe I understand." he said and smiled. "Makes sense." 

No I don't think you really did, but that’s fine. 

She smiled back at him. 

Please let that background check be clean, and let him not decide to quit in the middle or tomorrow not want to spend more time with me. 

Oh and please do not let him be one of those assholes that talk behind your back. It would be nice to not be lonely here anymore and have someone to hang out with. 

She silently thought while burying her doubts, for all that mattered for today she had someone to hang out with. 

6