Chapter 8 – The hunter and the hunted
51 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Buried underneath heaps upon heaps of fouly stinking trash, he kept his breathing flat and suppressed his urge to vomit.  He waited and waited for any sign, some inkling that his pursuers were gone. Next to him were two bodies. Freshly killed, their hearts ripped out through their chests. 

His proof. 

His Memories returned to what had seemed like mere seconds ago. 

The air was freezing, his reddened hands carefully gripped his rifle. Waiting. Patiently. His pulse was growing slower and slower as he calmed himself, the metallic taste of the kill already hanging in the air, like the scent of aged wine that was just about to be drunk for dinner. 

Below him a small figure appeared, his body clad in a coat with intricate detailing and almost invisible embroidery carrying the marks of an exquisite armor set. Underneath he wore a pair of comfortable looking pants and something akin to a T-shirt if it were not for the dark gem close to his neck. Obsidian, he identified it. 

The boy had green eyes and he felt when the others, the lesser agents went to attack. 

The boy was startled but not overly shocked, mowed through them, shadows swirling, ripping lips and trashing bodies with a flick of his wrist. It was all done in utter silence, no gunshots no screaming, in a span of seconds all that was left were broken bodies and a little boy standing amidst them. 

He took another breath and exhaled, repeating, before he held his air just for a moment and shot. The sound of a loud boom through the perfect silence, a Shadow touched the bullet and it hit the boy's leg. He stopped a moment, did he miss or had the boy reacted in time to prevent a fatal strike?

Then he packed his things and he felt a gaze upon him. Looking back he saw green eyes fixated on him, no pain in them, just...fixation. Then as he watched him a smile formed on his face and he caressed his blood-drenched shadows no longer paying attention to him. A shadow shot upwards and he avoided it rolling to the side.

He had to escape. 

NOW!

Now he was here sitting amidst trash alongside two corpses, waiting for that redhead to give up so he could bring those corpses to the examiners. They should be able to decipher the magical signature. If they could, then this, this, would be the first steps to the downfall of the Monsters. 

The sounds around him ceased, and he felt the sun rise as it became hot. He was sweating and still stinking but he remained still, the bodies next to him started rotting, attracting the first flies. His senses still told him someone was searching carefully, and very, very dedicated to his task. He had to continuously use his powers to hide his presence from the other party's telepath. The enemy was luckily a level below him or he was certain the blockade would not be working after all this time. 

The presence retreated and he felt heat creeping up, slowly, carefully but  he couldn't detect where it came from, his mental senses steamed danger, pure danger. The kind of danger that made him want to run. The heat creeped up closer and closer as he hissed and stretched his senses. 

Magic, Firemagic. 

He freed himself of the trash and looked outside, white flames, flickering, living white flames reaching towards the sky. He hissed as they creeped closer, he approached them mentally and was hit by the same blazing heat, the raging inside them. 

Greek flames. 

He paled; it was rare and powerful magic, pure in itself. Burning everything, reducing it all to ashes to be scattered into the wind as mere memories. He grabbed one of the corpses and ran, there was nothing else he could do but run. Greek fire knew no allies, knew no regrets, knew nothing but it's duty to burn everything to dust. Dragging the rotting corpse with him he searched for an exit, he looked at his surroundings. 

There

A canalisation entrance. He opened the heavy metal lid and jumped down, the corpse in his wake. His feet hit the stinking mass as he waited through the shit and piss of others and heard a gurgle. 

He stilled. 

Looking back he threw the corpse aside and readied his gun, his breathing rushed he tried to calm it, the heat was heating up above them making it harder to breath as it sucked the oxygen from the air even down there. A gigantic fin became visible and he hissed; seeing the gray color recognizing it as he sweat buckets.

The heat was blurring his sight as he had to rely on his mental powers and his telepathy more and more. The raging greek fire still a vicious echo in his mind, and another one had joined, a greedy hunger, even worse than the one from the fire, a beast in the middle of the city. He did not question how anymore but instead concentrated on the beast. 

It came from the right, a gaping mouth, he jumped back and fired right up in front. 

A screech erupted and splashed into the dirty water. The darkness was getting deeper as the fire left and only burned ground remained, it went completely dark, even the small flickers of light were now gone. Instead, deep shadows engulfed him. He fired another shot into the dark following his telepathy. 

Another screech. 

Hit home. 

Then something hit him and he was dragged into the back, he drew his knife and plunged into the hard, leathery skin. The knife broke and he cursed as he was dragged into the back further and further. He was surrounded by foul smelling water as he fought and he plunged the back of his guns into the monster's hide. He gurgled as he felt his lungs starting to burn from the lack of air as he got loose. 

But he couldn't afford to go upwards instead he took his gun and fired, the shot lighting up the darkness and hearing another screech. He kicked his legs and went upwards and stood, drenched in canalisation wastes. He was breathing harshly, his hair sticking to him. He took the corpse that was still on the sidelines and started marching through the darkness. His knees weak, his sight gone, all he had was his magic. He ripped mentally through the surrounding air and slowly let the head vanish behind him as he continued his march. 

He felt a stone section and stood on it. Finally he could quit wading through the water as he let out a deep breath. 

"Walk on, walk on." He muttered, still dragging the corpse behind himself and leaving a wet trail, a stinking switch of trash, gunk and blood. 

Suddenly, a ring called through the darkness. He took out his phone and gazed at it, an unknown number. 

He stopped, "Hello?" . 

"Hello Mikki, how are you?" He heard a clear familiar voice and something inside him switched. 

"I'm fine, just trouble transferring, moving things one place another." He said and smiled into the darkness imagining his favorite monstrosity in front of him.

"I ... I can see that happening, I wanted to tell you that I won't be at school today." she said. 

"I understand." He said, in front of him something moved and he almost sighed but held back his voice. 

"Are you going to be there for a school excursion in a bit?" he asked, and he smiled again at a gigantic fin appearing in front of him, then another one. He stared at them and raised his gun ready to shoot, but he did not want to interrupt his conversation, the phone call. 

"Yes I will." he answered as he noticed the first step on the stone and felt the monster, assaulting it with his mind 

"Good...then...Mikki are you carrying up your stuff to the apartment or what? You sound very exhausted." She asked. 

"I am carrying stuff, but I do not time now, problems, see you Titania." he said and quit the phone call before she could answer. He let the phone fall to the ground and faced the monster, a gaze into glowing eyes he corrected himself, monster. 

Come to me you monsters, come to me so I can kill you and return to my monstrous fairy queen, to my green eyed dear monster. 

"You my dears need to get out of the way." He said as he smiled at the monsters opposing him. He was happy now, truly happy. He raised his gun and fired his first shot and the first monster fell. He ducked, firing another shot to stop the monster from eating his evidence, as ragged as it was.

Something bit his arm. Instead of retreating he put his arm deeper into the monster's mouth, reaching down its gullet, and grabbed the forking tongue. Tearing at it, making the scaled water monster open its mouth with a pained screech, he fired at another one trying to eat his evidence. 

The faint light that illuminated the darkness made visible what was still waiting for him. Blind they were,  and with gigantic maws. They resembled an alligator only larger, with three large shark-like things attached,  with pale whitish green scaled hide and eight sturdy small legs crawling over the stony and wet ground. 

He fired another shot into the darkness.

He saw the greenish blue monster blood covering the ground in the faint light caused by his shot. 

After all I cannot die here, I need to get back to my own monster, to my green eyed fairy. 

He breathed harshly after it was over, his knees buckling over as he swayed on his feet shivers running over his skin. 

 

 

6