Chapter 19 – Blackmailing answers, sibling style
40 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was nighttime and Titania was rearing for an ambush.


With a cup of premium hot chocolate and another with Emery’s secret Tea; the stash that one only dared to touch under death wish. Or when they were desperate and unwilling to walk out of this kitchen without gaining any information. No way she would continue being the only one who did not know. 

It was about two hours in PJ’s and with a book on her Lap when. Underneath the dim light when her targets finally stepped out of the shadows. One of them would tell her, she would make them tell her; she had prepared all weapons necessary and would not hesitate to draw the sister card. 

“Cedric,” She glared at him, her gaze flickering to Raon who was dripping on the floor like a wet dog shaking something out his hair. “...and Raon. Leave your stuff over there.” 

“Cedric, your shadows are uncomfortable.” Raon stated coolly and earned a dark look from his younger brother, which Raon ignored as he stalked, the fluent almost liquid way of moving that came with his profession, towards Titania. His blades were leaning against the wall in a matter of seconds, taken away by Cedric’s Shadows.

Her little brother's security measure; he never fully trusted his older brother to not fully give in to his homicidal tendencies one day. 

She moved the cups behind her and, sitting on the counter, crossed her legs, “I want something in exchange for these.” She stated quite clearly.

The two, unused to such a demeanor, blinked at her. Raon smiled goofily and stopped in front of her, his lanky frame making him seem almost looming. Hands faced upwards in a dramatic movement.

“I see.” He said, and leaned his head to the side, “And what do you want?”

“Information about what is going on, because everyone seems to know something. Everyone but me.” She narrowed her eyes, “I am bargaining with hot chocolate and blood date tea with a pinch of rosemary.” 

Which I happen to know is your absolute favorite beverage and helluva difficult to get hence why Emery hides that stuff on the topmost shelf in the very back of the flour, sugar, and salt drawer. 

She had needed almost an hour to find it and she only knew he possessed that damn tea due to having seen him sip on a cup of it a few weeks back.

“You drive a hard bargain.” Her older brother said still dripping to the floor. The familiar smell entered her nose, and she sighed as she recognized the stuff dripping off him. It was not human though; the scent was not metallic, but flowery. It was the blood of a monster.

Good. At least he did not kill humans, this time. 

“No, don't you think about it Cedric.” She growled at her little brother and lightly smacked the tendril of shadow that was about to steal the hot chocolate. It retreated almost hesitantly as if it was pouting. Which was exactly what Cedric was doing that moment. Pouting. Stepping on his shadows he appeared sitting next to her on the counter, his head leaning against her shoulder. 

“But I am your most beloved cute little brother.” He said. She glared at him. 

“And I am your favorite elder brother.” Raon leaned forward and blinked at her as if he was innocence itself. 

She almost felt bad for how she was being a little mean to them. But she had to know, she couldn’t be soft this time. That being said, she was one of very few people who could threaten them with favorite hot beverages. 

“You are both my only elder and younger brother.” She pointed out and then crossed her arms, “So tell me; what is this about monster attacks, the Zhang, and so on… I want details. Oh, and if any of you tell me I am too young or something I will…” She left the rest unsaid. 

Both of her brothers stilled. They were very alike in this habit of theirs. Finally, Cedric sighed, “...Alright I’ll tell you, but you have to promise that you will take Raon with you afterwards, all the time.” 

“I don’t want corpses at school.” She immediately answered. 

Raon sat down on her side, hugging her, like some harmless animal. She felt herself already giving in, then Cedric’s shadows began to massage her shoulders. 

I have to know. 

“Alright, fine. But he has to promise that he will not kill anyone without my permission while doing so.” She eventually gave in, but not before clarifying that one sticking point. 

There; I can make compromises. Now tell me. 

“Alright, I did say I would not conceal stuff from you anymore.” Cedric leaned close and snagged himself his cup of chocolate while directing a shadow to hand Raon his tea. 

“Well,” Cedric sipped his hot chocolate, ”The Zhang have started to redirect the monsters from their zones towards our borders. Until now, it was not problematic but it is starting to become so. We are only so many, and they do not seem to end. We cannot simply abandon the slums or worker zones.” He took another sip and sighed contentedly,. “...Added to that, our business is heavily obstructed The only reliable income we still have is your contracts, Chrysanthe’s crafting, and the selling stuff on the black market.” 

Cedric fell silent, and Raon began to speak. His voice was calm, methodical, detached, “Mother is planning to gather up a lot of monster material and then do a once on giant flush on the market. She wants to force the prices down for the others as well. One way or another, the Zhang will have dug their own grave by then.” Raon paused for a moment, “Not that I wouldn’t help a bit on the side; they make nice trophy heads, pretty ones.”

“Mhh, and they are a general menace to sneak into." Cedric noted and both sipped in synchronicity from their cups, letting out a pleased huff after which Raon continued, “That being said, I am not convinced of mothers plan.” 

“It is merely an idea for now, I am certain there will be modifications but there is a need to do something.” Answered Cedric.

Totally brothers.

“And why do they want me?” She asked. Raon turned stiff. 

“They want you for your ability to give birth to new oath mages, hoping that oath magic is heredity. Outliers like you and mother are rare, and pose unique possibilities for new hereditary magics.” Cedric said, earning an angry look from Raon. 

“He said he would tell me.” Titania noted and a moment later Raon took another sip of his tea, calming.

“But,” Noted Raon, “you are to be protected.” A moment later he further muttered, “You are … nice.”  

“Nice does not mean I need to be cuddled all the way through.” Titania answered. 

“No. You are ours, and they cannot be bad with you; you are nice. I can slice all of them up if you want, or get you another pet.” He leaned against her, “The one I got at least seems to be a good one.” 

Raon I have nothing against pets but I feel your definition of such is inaccurate. 

“Raon, no I do not need another pet and while we are at it, human children are not pets. No human being is a pet.” 

“They are not?” He asked with genuine wonder, “I thought they were, I mean Chry’s Birds are humans, no, and birds are pets? Pets or food, if it’s something like a chicken…” 

“Maybe, but they are not really birds, they’re human. ‘Birds’ is simply a nickname. Chry’s Birds are…..” she hesitated a second, “....humans, special humans. They choose it themselves too, those whom you pick are prone to be threatened.” 

“But so did your pet, Dex, right? He chose by himself, no and he is a human and a pet?” 

She quieted down, not sure how to respond to that. He would not understand if she said something about the difference between a grown up making a decision and a child, or anything about something not being morally right.

“I will explain some other time, Raon.” She finally said, and accepted that this was a discussion not worth having. “Let us simply say one pet for me is more than enough.” 

“Mhhh, okay, no more pets then for Titania. Cedric, you want one?”

“No I am fine; I have enough fun playing cat and mouse with the Zhang currently, no time for me to look after a pet. Besides, you have to make sure Titania is safe for the next few days; you won’t have time to look for any.” He leaned closer to Raon to emphasize his next statement, “Zhu Wei had a moment of doomy doom.” 

“Doomy doom? you mean a bad vision?” 

Cedric nodded, “An extremely bad one and he held Titania's Hand while having it.” 

“That is serious then; I will have to get a bed up to your room sister.” Raon noted and Titania smacked both of them on the back of their heads. 

“You will not, Zhu Wei can be wrong you know.” Though she did not sound convincing to even herself let alone either of her brothers, both of whom merely scowled at the memory of Zhu Wei’s portent.. 

 

Raon in a mood

4