Chapter 26 – Paparazzi
13 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Mother.” Cedric muttered as he practically flew out of the room. Titania, paled from giving a quick glance on the clock. 

It told her that they were not just late, they had missed breakfast, and if she did not get to move soon she would be late for school. 

“Oh Damn.” Dressing up in speed record she fled down the stairs, packing her bag and gunning out on the walkway with a "See yaaaaaa!" to the others.

Right behind her, Raon was up and coming hot on her heels, keeping up with ease. Damn, why did this guy have legs that were this long? 

Mom is going to kill me if I am seriously late. She hates it when I am late.

Through the backyard forest she did not even have the time to do more than greet leafy in passing - Stopping herself, she cussed - and opened her lunch box, “Sorry pal I am late, you know my mom detests it when I am late for school” She said and a small purple leaf curled around her finger wishing her the best of luck. 

“Thanks.” She muttered and went to run. Breaking through the green she rushed over the school yard and barreled up the stairs into the classroom. All of the students were already present, but not the teacher. Instead, there was a news channel up and running on the screen that was mounted on the wall and everyone was staring at it while some people were having frantic phone calls. 

Titania's eyes widened when her communicator was starting to go off on an ear piercing alarm and hers was not the only one. Amitas was sounding too, and she cursed a storm up as their local troublemaker barreled through the door. Stopping in her tracks for a second before making a face and turning towards her, "Tell me you have a car here?" Amita asked her and Titania shook her head and Amitas Driver was probably long gone and she had come on foot. Like usual. 

"Shit!" Amita Cursed and since there was another voice saying shit in the same intonation, Amitas Bodyguard most likely, Titania flinched before internally agreeing. Shit.

Meanwhile the news channel started going full throttle useless villain propaganda. “There has been a report of several dozen scouts of the Tarajan having died in a monster attack before an alarm was sighted. The other fractions suspect that the Tarajan may have done so themselves. As known, the unrest in the lower classes has been rising and the Tarajan have a majority of the territory there under their…” 

“Fucking idiots!” Titania erupted at both the screen and the current situation and reigned herself in quickly enough shutting the news channel down and picking up her communicator. 

“Mother." She said knowing no one else called her when she was supposed to be in lessons. 

“Daughter, get yourself back home, you will be going into homeschooling. I have sent a car.” Her mother said, cold as ice. Emotionless at it sounded for most it made Titania shudder. She was angry, her mother was angry enough to commit some murder or two. 

“Got it.” She said and wanted to tell her she would come right now looking out of the window. "There might be a slight problem though.”

“NOT A WORD TITANIA. GET HOME, NOW!!!” 

“Alright, Alright, I'm coming home. If I am able to.” She hurried to say and gazed at the paparazzi cars gathering outside. Her mother merely hung up on her. It seemed Amita experienced something similar as she hung up on her own communicator, “Tarajan. Truce. could you drop me off halfway?” Amita asked. “If your driver makes it…same offer from my side.” 

Both of them glanced at each other before nodding, Raon tight behind Titania and Amitas invisible bodyguard not too far either. Her classmate was walking very much as if there was someone near her. 

There was that one thing with invisibility, useful sure, but as soon as a single person knew where you were and that you were there they paid attention as if someone was there while no one seemed to be there. It took a lot of practice to completely ignore a person like this. 

As soon as they left the school entrance things got chilly and Amita cussed very much the same way Titania did. Hastily they retreated back behind the doors. 

“What are they doing here?” Titania asked, looking at Amita. The Luminere rolled her eyes, "They are not supposed to be here, it's a damn crime. This is all private property.” 

“You’re asking me. Isn’t it your people that are messed up, and messed up enough to warrant this clusterfuck?”

“Wordplay Amita? Seriously?” 

“I’m frustrated. The driver just said he can't get through.” 

“So am I, Frustrated, hopefully mine makes it. I usually walk.”

“You might wanna change that habit now.” 

The two of them looked at each other. Despite mutual dislike due their similar situations and the fact they shared the classroom for a while now made sure they knew each other better then they liked. 

Silently they stared at each other. 

“You have a car, or something else with you Tarajan?” Amita asked and Titania nodded. “Mine will make it, Mother sent them.”

She activated her communicator. On the other side she recognized Annie’s voice. "Hello, Marc..."

"Annie, we have a cockroach problem here. Are you able to manage to pick me up in school?"

"Youngest Miss, of course your mother already send someone; we are on the way."

"It’s bad Annie and..." She looked at Amita. "...we have a Lumiere, plus an invisible bodyguard. 

"Hey!" Amita growled behind her and Titania shot her an angry look. 

"Alright....although Miss we might need a bit.." Annie said. 

“Well, we still need to get out of here.” Amita grumbled.  Titania shrugged her shoulders before shoving her away from her communicator. 

"How long?” 

"We are unable to get through the front door through normal means. I mean we could shoot the way clear’ a few reporters less will not make a great loss to humanity. But, that would be sub-optimum since I know you do not wish for such things."

"Backdoor?"

"Equally cramped. We need about ten minutes to get through that mess." Annie answered with a curse.

“Climb over a wall?” She proposed and Amita looked at her affronted. "How about we can get to a car easier that way. Also, that is against school regulations.” Amita protested heavily and Titania blinked at her. 

“So what, want to face the shoot-a-razzi? Shoot our way through. Drive over people?"

“Only the weak will break a rule to avoid a problem.” Amita stated plainly. Titania almost started laughing.

“Great, and only the stupid don’t look for alternatives. Now, I will be off to climb that wall if it works, Annie?"

"The oldest young master is with you, so I propose the eastern wall, it's the highest and they will not suspect you coming from there, will the young Miss Lumiere be coming with you?"

Next to her Amita grumbled and Titania suddenly saw a flicker as next to her a towering woman appeared. Her face grisled and ridded in scars, "Take it, Miss, she has a point." The woman’s voice had a deep timbre. 

"I will come along." Amita said and the two hurried off to the east wall, even as the bodyguard vanished once more. 

"Me as well." Zhang Lui said and both stopped in their tracks, it was so silent, one might hear a pin hitting the floor. A whimper. Having no mercy for him, Titania turned around and looked at the uninvited guy, heck she had almost entirely forgotten he was even there. 

"No. Get your own way out." 

"But we are schoolmates and supposed to get along dear Titania." His charm was turned up full throttle and it almost managed to lower Titania's guard. 

"No." Amita said, raising her hands and ending that before rushing off, Titania closed on her heels. 

"This is my get away opportunity." She stated and Amita looked at her. 

"Yeah sure I behave, you know Tarajan, if you weren't so totally nuts in your family I could almost like you." She said and a growl erupted behind them. Both turned and Raon glared at Amita. 

"Only to abandon them once things get troublesome." Raon stated and took Titania as he dragged her along. 

"Raon, Raon." She interrupted him and he stilled, slowing down a bit and looking at her arm he noticed that she was hurt a bit, his fingers had left dark blue spots on it. 

He stilled.

"I am sorry, I am sorry Titania." He muttered, "I am sorry, I didn't want to hurt you." His voice sounded a bit like in a daze. 

"It's fine Raon." She said and smiled at him. "It's fine I am not hurt." 

"Heck, unstable as he is, he makes a bad bodyguard." Next to her Amita hissed, but did not comment on his earlier words despite shooting him a dark look, one that suggested there was more to this than she knew. Like usual Titania knew nothing, but right now she couldn't care less. 

"He is not just a bodyguard, he is my brother." She told Amita, "Now come before I change my mind about taking you along."

"No worries. I don't intend to stick with you for any longer than absolutely necessary." 

"I sure hope so." 

The two glared at each other. If their position had been any different Titania felt maybe they could have been friends. Things as they stood now, they were nothing but enemies turned allies of convenience.

The easter wall to school became visible soon enough and they both stopped in their tracks. Well, when one wanted to climb it the wall suddenly seemed far taller then usual. 

"Fuck." Titania muttered while Amita visibly readied her magic and infused the surrounding air with it. It was easily noticeable, an azure light dancing around Amita caressing her surroundings. It was quite a pretty sight. 

"Raon." Titania muttered and climbed on his back. She closed her arms around his neck as he threw his knives into the wall and nimbly scaled it with ease, keeping up to a floating Amita, who was similarly taking along her invisible bodyguard. Arriving topside on top of the wall, Raon flicked his wrist and the knives came back to him before they subsequently vanished as if they had never been there.

Amita watched the process with visible amazement until she got her emotions back under control. 

The car was already waiting below. Amita and Raon both made a slight step over the edge and let themselves simply drop down. Amita stopped her fall with a gust of wind as Raon did so by feathering it off with a similar tactic; A slight float using one of Chrys custom pieces. The two landed on the ground next to the car utterly soundlessly, nothing giving away the presence. 

The car's door flickered open but there was no diver visible as they stepped into it. Raon made an approving grunt. 

"Bring us to the end of Carlyle Road corner Maryland." Amita suddenly said. "A car will be picking us up there." She rightly assumed that Lyle was the driver, since there was no one visible. Although it felt weird being in a car with two permanently invisible people in the front seats. 

Suddenly the car sped up. 

"Someone is following us." The voice of Amitas bodyguard said. 

"Paparazzi?" Titania asked and Raon shook his head.

"I suspect something, or someone else." Lyle suddenly said and with this Amita turned around. "That car, I know it. It's Zhang Lius." she said and Titania looked back as well. 

"Isn't his a dark green one?" Titania asked. 

"His private yes, but that is a Zhang general model, his pick up service most likely. We should be right where you can drop me off. Let's see if it stops or drives past."

Raon next to her loaded a gun with an audible click

"Amita I sure hope so, but something tells me this day has only just started going south."

2