Act 1.1-2 – The first day (1)
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Have you ever dropped something fragile, watch it shatter into countless fragments? The thoughts that lingered in my mind as I looked at a broken glass cup was simply, ‘Oh, what a mess. It looks like it will never be whole again.’

Just like Humpty Dumpty who sat on the wall, who shattered upon his fall. Countless shards and remnants scattered, broken and unremembered.

 

“Pshh…hey, Mimo!”

“…muu…sleepy.”

“Mimo…wake up! She is coming.”

The whispers continue to echo in my ear as I was slowly roused from my slumber.

“Whu…who is.”

I replied while still in my fairy dreamland.

“Ms. Parker.”

The whispers got softer and softer, yet it sounded more urgent than ever.

“Hmm…Ms…Parker…who is that again?”

I muttered to myself in silence.

THWACK.

A sharp stinging pain reverberated in my arm, as I was rudely awoken from my sleep.

“Ow, what was that for, Karnie!”

Remembering whose voice it was that lingered in my head, it must have definitely been her. Yet when I opened my eyes, what greeted me was the sight of a middle-aged lady wearing glasses. She held a long wooden ruler on her hand as she looked at me with an unkind smile. Yes, the smile on her face was rather restrained as the edge of her lips started to twitch.

“Mimosa, today is the first day of school. You have the gall to actually sleep in fifteen minutes after appearing late into class?”

Her hoarse voice spoke in a very calm manner, betraying her appearances and the ruler which has been gently tapping against my shoulder. Karnie was seated by my side, with her face looking at me with nonchalance. ‘Serves you right,’ was screamed from the look in her eyes. Slight guilt and embarrassment overwhelmed me as I averted my eyes from the teacher, yeah Ms. Parker was her name. She had just introduced herself earlier while I was dozing off. I could even see the troubled looks of the rest of my classmates looking over at me. Deciding it was best to remain silent and appear remorseful, I looked down with a sulky expression.

“Hmm? Are we playing the damsel in distress now? It won’t work on me. Go and wash your face, then stand at the corner of the classroom afterwards!”

Ms. Parker ordered out as she pointed her ruler towards the door.

I slowly left my seat as the teacher slowly walked back to the front. I heaved a deep sigh as I know my class reputation points have taken a deep dive from 0. Snickers could be heard as I slowly walked out of the classroom. Looking around, most of the people seated around are all unfamiliar faces.

I used to hang out with a group of friends last year during first year. However, almost everyone but Karnie were segregated into different classes this year. It is a pity that our group cannot hang out as often as before. Now I would have to make new friends again, what a bother.

As I walked to the back of the class, I noticed that there was one girl who was seated at the edge of the classroom. Her gentle wavy long hair rustled with the wind as she gazed upon the scenery outside the window. She looked so distant and lonely.

“What are you doing! Hurry up and get moving!”

Ms. Parker’s voice sounded angrier as she shouted across the room.

“Yes, ma’am!”

I shouted as I averted my gaze from the girl and left the classroom.

--

“Mimosa, you are no longer a kid. Come on, stay awake now!”

I encouraged myself as I looked at my image in the mirror. Endless regrets dwell upon me that I was too late to even miss breakfast. I could not have my morning coffee as well as my daily dose of caffeine, this had led to disaster after disaster.

After washing my face, I slowly wiped it with a paper towel. Looking at my reflection, I gave a slight wink before turning around to the exit.

“Let’s go now, no more sleeping around.”

I cheered myself on as I slowly walked down the corridor. The school that I attend in Evergreen High, it is the most reputable public school in the entire district. I remembered studying pretty hard to secure a place over here. Or at least I can recall how hard my parents made me study.

Our school has a track record of having the highest university acceptance rate, along with many trophies and awards in our sports and art fields. You could say that it was a powerhouse among the local schools in the region. Anyways, getting back on point, I should be returning to class soon before Ms. Parker finds other faults with me. I thought to myself as I picked up the pace.

That is weird. Looking in front of me, I noticed someone down on his knees. It appears to be a boy of similar age to me. He seemed to be looking around for something as his head turned from left to right.

“Hmm…where have I left it?”

His voice muttered out as he slowly started searching around.

Curious as to what bothers this young man, I slowly walked up to him. I slowly opened my mouths as I decided upon the words I would like to say.

“Hey there fellow schoolmate, do you need help with anything?”

Kind words flowed out of my mouth. Internally, I was high-fiving my entire council as I did not appear to look rude or awkward in any way.

The boy turned his head towards me as I could finally see his face. Oh my, oh my. What delicate features, he had whitish blond curly permed hair and his eyes were as blue as the sky. It would not be an understatement to call him a hot guy. He looked over at me for a moment, before turning back and continued his search.

‘Wh-what? Are you just going to blatantly ignore me at this point!? How rude!’ I thought to myself as I felt slightly offended by his actions. However, thinking it through again, I really do not have the luxury to help someone at this point. My teacher will most definitely have my head if I dally any longer.

~End 1.1-2~

0